Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-20-2002, 04:35 AM   #1
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

“I think we’re playing way over our heads,’’ coach Don Nelson said in a pregame conversation with our Norm Hitzges. “I just don’t think we should be talked about with these other teams. They’re better than we are.’’
Is that really Nellie’s evaluation? Or is he poor-mouthing this awfully good club – Wednesday’s sluggish 114-103 loss at Portland notwithstanding -- keeping expectations (and his own personal hyperbole machine) in check?
“Maybe I’m wrong,’’ Nelson says. “My team keeps finding ways to win, keeps surprising me. We are where we are.’’

Don Nelson, speaking on DallasBasketball.com 14/02/2002

I was really surprised to read these comments. Given, the interview was before the Blazers game, and published in the context of that loss, but I really am struggling with the thinking behind these comments.

I can see that perhaps Don Nelson feels that the the Mavs are over-hyped. Is this the way of toning down the exposure on the Mavs? Are these comments saying "guys, we've got nothing, show me more down the stretch"

Nelson seems to be unneccessarily harsh. I think it is refreshing to see a coach be frank about the outlook of his team, but after the results against Portland and then Minnesota, maybe these comments have been taken to heart by the players rather than the media, which I am sure was Nelson's intended target.

I am aware of the Mavs plight in the late 90's, although I was not around to experience that, has some of this carried through to an inferiority complex today? I mean, there is consant talk from Mavs fans, that the current team is not good enough. Talk of trading Finley or is Dirk intimidated by KG, or whoever. From where I see it, the playoffs for the second year in a row would be beyond the dreams of most Mavs fans in the late 90's.

Does the coaching staff feel that Mavs fans will deal with non-achieving (late nineties) rather than potential disappointment (if we bow out any earlier than the 2nd round of the playoffs)?

I would love to know how these comments sit you guys.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2002, 04:46 AM   #2
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

To answer your question as best as I can:

1. Nellie wants to downplay the team sa much as possible. It avoids big egos, and keeps the guys thinking of themselves as the underdog

2. I don't think Dallas has an inferiority complex, well the team. As for the city it is well deserved when it comes to hoops. You spoke of the woes of the late 90s. Well the Mavs were horrible during the entire 90s. To give you an idea. In the 4 major U.S. sports baseball, basketball, football, and hockey there are about 120 teams. The Mavericks had the worst winning percentage of any of those 120 teams during the 90s. Need more evidence, the Cowboys play a 16 game schedule, the Mavs 82. During the early 90s people were placing bets on who would win more games the Mavs or the Cowboys.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 09:54 AM   #3
dolemite220

dolemite220 is on a distinguished road

I remember those days. I have been a fan since the 90's. Nellie knows that this team's D is not that good. That is why he is not ready to put this team up with the big boys.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:10 PM   #4
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

<< To answer your question as best as I can:

1. Nellie wants to downplay the team sa much as possible. It avoids big egos, and keeps the guys thinking of themselves as the underdog

>>

I understand Nellies goal, but I think that there are better ways to do it than drawing unfavourable comparisons between the Mavs and other teams. The underdog tag must surely be a thing of the past for the Mavs.

I would prefer he say something like taking it one game at a time, not worried too much about the playoffs. But then again, that is what every damn coach says, and when they do, you prefer they say nothing!

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 08:09 PM   #5
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I agree with you there, every coach does do that. Look at Phil Jackson or Karl. I suppose somebody must thing it provides motivation. I don't think it would motivate me though.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote