Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-09-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all
Default Maciej Lampe to play for the Knicks' summer-league team

REAL DEAL:
LAMPE GETS SUMMER OK

By MARC BERMAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 9, 2003 -- Light the Lampe. He will play.
The Knicks received terrific news yesterday as Real Madrid granted 7-foot teen sensation Maciej Lampe permission to play for the Knicks' summer-league team, sources told The Post.

Although the 18-year-old forward still has not finalized a contract buyout, Real Madrid's change of heart indicates a willingness to get a deal done soon. The Post has been told the Polish marksman was in the process of getting a private insurance policy to protect him against injury during the two-week summer-league schedule. Real Madrid had forbidden Lampe from playing until yesterday.

Practices begin at the Knicks' Westchester facility today with a double session. Lampe, compared to Dirk Nowitzki, is expected to fly in this morning from Chicago and could be in uniform for the second session.

In another development, Marc Cornstein, the agent for 7-6 Serbian center Slavko Vranes, said he's in the "final stages" of contract-buyout negotiations with his client's European team. Vranes, selected in the second round, could be on hand by today. That would ensure all three 2003 Knick draft picks will play summer league, since Mike Sweetney signed Monday.

The Knicks begin play at the Boston tournament Monday, then fly to Utah July 20 for another week of games at the Rocky Mountain Revue.

Sweetney will have to share the limelight with Lampe, the Garden folk hero who dropped to 30th in the draft because of a $2 million contract buyout and non-lottery teams not getting a chance to work him out.

Negotiations for the buyout are progressing because Real Madrid is willing to listen to proposals of a long-term payment schedule since Lampe has to foot all but $350,000 of the $2 million buyout. Lampe made just $45,000 last season, playing mostly for its minor-league team, and is slated to make $55,000 next season

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2003, 02:42 PM   #2
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Maciej Lampe to play for the Knicks' summer-league team

i am interested to see how he does in the summer league. for our sake, i hope he is terrible.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:46 PM   #3
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

well as dooby would say "I have a man crush" on Lampe and I hope he lights it up. Than I could go drinking because we passed on the guy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

Old 07-09-2003, 02:52 PM   #4
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

New York will be in the eastern Conference finals in 2 years. They will win the ECF in 3.
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 02:54 PM   #5
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

oh really? are you saying that based on some 18 year old kid who didn't even play for the top real madrid team?
Old 07-09-2003, 02:57 PM   #6
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
oh really? are you saying that based on some 18 year old kid who didn't even play for the top real madrid team?
Are you trying to fight me Mandy, cause nobody talks about my man like that. *snaps fingers in a Z*

Old 07-09-2003, 03:02 PM   #7
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

i was posting in response to signoftimes claim that the knicks will win the ecf in three years. i am not debating that lampe could some day be a great player, but look how long it took dirk to develop. i just don't think he will bring the knicks so far so fast.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:11 PM   #8
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

Put your gloves on Mandy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I am saying that because New York had the best draft of the entire NBA this year. They also have some good veteran talent on their squad right now. Lampe is not the kid who will carry this team right now, but in 2 years, this team will be strong enough to compete with anyone in the east(maybe not detroit).

So no, a 18 year old kid, who didn't play for the top real madrid team will not carry this team. A 21 year old kid surrounded by some talented veterans and a few other talented players drafted with him, with 3 years NBA experience, who has filled out some, will probably take this team pretty far in the East

Plus my prediction might be hyperbolic for effect
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 03:13 PM   #9
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

ok, i see what you are saying, but realistically i think it takes a couple more years.

we will see though.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:50 PM   #10
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

I'm going to the summer league next Wednesday in Boston.

12:00 Dallas vs. New York

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Some dude on the Cavs is supposed to play as well.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:55 PM   #11
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

who plays for the cavs that is going to overshadow the awesome 7 footer from Real Madrid.

Old 07-12-2003, 05:21 AM   #12
asola

asola is on a distinguished road

Don't forget that originally Lampe was going to be just the #9 pick. Of course sometimes unknown #9 picks from Europe are pretty good, but I don't think that happens twice.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:28 AM   #13
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

some had lampe going as high as fifth.

at any rate, to get someone who was supposed to be in the lottery as a second round pick is a huge steal. but only time will tell how huge of a steal it was.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:09 PM   #14
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

SCRIMMAGE SHOWS LAMPE STILL HAS LOTS TO LEARN

By MARC BERMAN

July 12, 2003 -- Last week, Maciej Lampe got a tattoo on his right ankle -a picture of a basketball inside a cross, with the No. 30 inside.
Lampe does not want to forget June 26 - the night he careened out of the NBA draft lottery and into the second round, where the Knicks nabbed him with the 30th overall pick.

"He's very aware of the fact [he was picked 30th]," Knick coach Don Chaney said. "He has something to prove being picked so late. It's a good thing for us, especially. That means he's going to work harder to improve his game."

Yesterday marked Lampe's second practice with the Knicks' summer-league team, joining a day late because the NBA needed to approve Real Madrid's clearance document.

During two five-minute scrimmages, Lampe, 18, didn't touch the ball much, as he's still learning the plays. But when he did, Lampe was out on the perimeter, away from the inside fray.

Lampe wore white athletic tape over his left ear to protect a newly pierced ear, but that's not why he wanted no part of the lane. That's been his style, and that's why he's compared to Dirk Nowitzki, a 7-footer who can shoot treys.

However, Chaney wants Lampe to get himself dirty.

"Although he feels he can score on anybody outside, he can also score on guys inside," Chaney said. "He has to put as much emphasis on his inside game as his outside game. He's got to be a well-rounded player. It's a lot easier to play on the perimeter. It's a lot tougher to play inside. I want him versatile."

Lampe is a project, but one with an exciting upside.

Lampe is to make his Knick debut Monday in the Boston summer league. The Knicks say they want him here next season, but if he's a bust in Boston and Utah, there's a slight chance they could cease buyout talks with Real Madrid and let him stay in Europe another year.

"It all depends on how I do in the summer league, what the Knicks think," Lampe said.

"I want to stay here. It all depends on my game. If I play good, then the Knicks will fight for me. I think I can get out of my contract easy. We have to lower the buyout, which we can do, or we can take them to court."

Slavko Vranes, the Serbian 7-6 center, joined Lampe yesterday as he was cleared by his European team for his first practice.

Old 07-14-2003, 10:33 PM   #15
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

lampe and vranes didn't look too good in the game today....from espn.com:

Lampe, the 30th overall pick in last month's draft, was 1-for-7 from the field with five fouls and three turnovers in 28 minutes at small forward. Vranes, a 7-foot-5 center, was 0-for-2 with no rebounds and four fouls in 8 minutes.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:00 PM   #16
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: signoftimes
New York will be in the eastern Conference finals in 2 years. They will win the ECF in 3.
And yes your rating that on 2 rookies you've barely(if at all) seen play. And then either old guys with big contracts. Or Guards who hate eachother.

And the beautiful postition they DONT have filled at PG.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:45 AM   #17
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Wasn't this Tshkitishivili guy that plays for Denver highly compared to Dirk? Whatever happen to him?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 02:33 AM   #18
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Wasn't this Tshkitishivili guy that plays for Denver highly compared to Dirk? Whatever happen to him?
Much like dirk, in his first year he struggled. He's still only 19 or 20. From what I saw of him last year, I think he's gonna be REAL good. He's quicker than Dirk...more of a slasher than Dirk. Probably not as good shooting, but I like him.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:10 AM   #19
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

LAMPE'S BUYOUT
MOVING FORWARD
By MARC BERMAN

July 18, 2003 -- BOSTON - With Maciej Lampe's improvement over the first four games, the Knicks are hoping to see a quick resolution to his contract-buyout negotiations, which sped up yesterday.
Sources familiar with the talks said Real Madrid is more ready to make a deal than it was two weeks ago. Already, progress has been made in reducing the $2 million buyout figure and convincing the Spanish team to allow some sort of payment plan. Lampe has to pay all but $350,000 of the buyout.

Suddenly, the 18-year-old Lampe not only looks like he's going to make it in the NBA, but he may be ready to contribute this season. Lampe last night followed up Wednesday's 21-point performance with a 13-point outing, making 6 of 15 shots. Though he missed a lot of his perimeter shots, Lampe scored most of his buckets inside, including two wonderful spin moves for layups in the Knicks' 96-78 loss to the Celtics.

He is becoming an inside-outside force that he didn't even display in the Spanish minor leagues last season. "He's 18, 7-foot, 270 pounds, it's not a bad place to start," Knicks assistant GM Jeff Nix said.

If the Knicks don't use the $4.9 million exception, they can take $1 million of it and sign Lampe. Otherwise, Lampe must sign for the $360,000 minimum.

Knicks' second-round pick Slavko Vranes had his best game last night with five points in nine minutes, making all three of his free throws. His best moment of summer league came in the second quarter when he ripped down a tough offensive rebound and laid it in despite traffic.

The Knicks have hired a conditioning coach here in Boston to work with the 7-6 Vranes every day. First-rounder Mike Sweetney had 15 points and four boards in 29 minutes.

Lampe's 34 points across the last two games is a market improvement from his opening-game disaster. "This is how I play normally," Lampe said. "The first game was just a joke."

"The problem was, he hung his head," said a Lampe associate. "He felt the whole thing was riding on that one game and it wasn't."

Lampe admits he can play better. Indeed, he's not getting enough rebounds, though he seems to be in position for them.

"I got to get more boards," Lampe said. "I'm there but I'm not grabbing them."
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote