Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-29-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default Real GM - Finley has already been bought out?

This is what it says on the Real GM home page
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______

Suns Will Go After Michael Finley

The Suns are set on exploring the possibility of going after Michael Finley on the free agent market, a league source said Tuesday. The Mavericks bought out Finley for $51 million as a way to avoid paying the NBA's luxury tax.

Has this already happened? Am I missing something here?

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Real GM - Finley has already been bought out?

That reporter mistyped and his editor didn't catch it. The one-time waiver won't even be available to teams until the new CBA goes into effect in July.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Real GM - Finley has already been bought out?

Well supposedly the 1 time waiver can be used on players who have been waived in the past, so the mavs could waive Finley now. But it sure wouldn't make sense to do so before the provisions of the waiver offer are fully known. Of course dummber things have been done.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

If the Mavs get to deduct any portion of Finley's new contract, then it might be beneficial to just go ahead and release him so he's free to talk to others as soon as the free agent period starts....which I guess technically is in two hours?

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized I'm a day ahead of myself.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:08 PM   #5
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Real GM - Finley has already been bought out?

supposedly the mavs get back 1/2 the the amount Fin is paid over the minimum. But I don't think that they need to be in a hurry. Nobody's going to do much until the CBA is finalized and they can see what loopholes exist.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:35 PM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
supposedly the mavs get back 1/2 the the amount Fin is paid over the minimum.
So what does Fin get? Is the salary from his new team incremental to what the Mavs are paying him? This is an important point because he could very well be the most sought after luxury tax casualty out there and if he can start a bidding war, I don't think PXH will be a player. They're going to play dearly to keep Amare, Hunter and Johnson...and don't know if Sarver will have an appetite to write any more big checks after that.