Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-28-2004, 01:09 PM   #1
Number1dirk41

Number1dirk41 is on a distinguished road
Default Kidd to Dallas

Bringing the Kidd Back Home

The whispers of Kidd to Dallas are really heating up behind the scenes at the Mavs summer offices. Don Nelson has been on several conference calls between Dallas brass and the Nets, the main topic is none other than Jason Kidd. Losing Kenyon Martin and replacing him with inexperienced players that lack the physical toughness that Martin has is a scenario that is not sitting well with Kidd. The Nets have been sending out feelers to the rest of the league about Jason and his desire to play elsewhere as the Nets rebuild. Kidd, who is presently vacationing out of the country, has been in contact with his wife and other family members considering whether to add pressure on the Nets to pull off this move for him. Other teams have been hesitant to speak seriously about acquiring Kidd so soon after his recent knee surgery. One NBA GM told us that if Kidd were healthy, it would put Dallas immediately near the top of not only the Western Conference but the entire NBA. "Jason has always been someone that lifts his team to perform at a higher level", said this GM, "Granted that Dallas' other key pieces were still there, I would have to say this will make them a top 3 contender".

The deal for Jason Kidd would resolve Kidd's desire to win a championship now, put him in a place that he still speaks fondly of, match him up with his #1 fan in the NBA, Don Nelson, as well as possibly alleviate the financial concerns of the Nets. As is always the case, there are many things that will have to be worked out between the two teams to make this transaction work under the collective bargaining agreement. The principal reasons this deal is being negotiated is three fold, 1.) Kidd's unhappiness with the moves the Nets organization is making towards the future, a future that Kidd doesn't have enough good years left to wait on, 2.) Dallas' desire for a veteran point gaurd to handle Nelson's varied offensive sets, feed Dirk Nowitzki the ball in positions to be the kind of player Nelson believes he can be, and improve Dallas' rebounding/defense at the point gaurd position, 3) The financial aspects of Alonzo Mourning's contract and inability to be counted on due to his health. The trade has not been finalized because some of the players to be dealt from Dallas are awaiting August 24th, the end of the mandatory 60 day waiting period for trading newly acquired players. The Nets could not be reached for additional comments regarding this proposed trade and informed us to, "See what August 24th brings us". This non-denial was as clear of an indication of how close this deal is to being done. If that comment wasn't enough to excite the Dallas fans, the "Jason has never been an East Coast kinda guy" comment should have them running to the closet to dust off the old #5 jerseys.

The trade may change some before August 24th, however, the imminent deal between New Jersey and Dallas is as follows:

New Jersey Receives

Atoine Walker
Jerry Stackhouse
Josh Howard
Tony Delk

Dallas Receives

Jason Kidd
Alonzo Mourning
Lucious Harris
Number1dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default RE:Kidd to Dallas

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:15 PM   #3
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Number1dirk41 - Two things:

1. I moved this thread to the Trade Forum because it's a trade rumor.
2. If you're going to cut and paste an article from another place, you need to cite the source and provide a link.

Old 07-28-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default RE: Kidd to Dallas

whats the source?

if this article is true, i like the deal, a lot.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:24 PM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

WHy don't you post a link to this dribble

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:25 PM   #6
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

It's interesting...I don't know how much sense it makes in the long term, but it makes the Mavs a contender immediately.

I know that most people will assume that Mark won't pay Kidd if he wouldn't pay Nash. I disgaree with that premise for a couple of reasons:
1. Jason Kidd is a better PG.
2. Bringing in Jason Kidd doesn't increase payroll as much as it exchanges pay roll and adds years (which could be a problem).

Others will say that you don't bring in Kidd when you have Devin Harris and Daniels, but I think that Kidd makes everyone better and could play beside Harris too.

My one problem with this is the inclusion of Josh Howard. I feel like if the Mavs were to take back Zo's contract, then they get to keep Josh. After all, the Nets are getting salary cap relief and and two former all-stars (franchise players).
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:30 PM   #7
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

One more thought. The deal that makes more sense to me would be:

Walker, Stack, and Laettner
for
Kidd, Kittles, and Zo.

The Nets still have all their salary cap room, and so do the Mavs - but this fills needs better.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:37 PM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

We're not trading Josh Howard. He has too much potential. I don't blieve this dribble anyways, unless we see a link posted.

Old 07-28-2004, 01:38 PM   #9
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

You don't need to include Josh Howard to make a deal work. Besides, you are sending NJ $20mm in expiring contracts.

Dallas trades: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 20.5 minutes)
Dallas receives: PG Jason Kidd (15.5 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 9.2 apg in 36.5 minutes)
C Alonzo Mourning (8.0 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 17.9 minutes)
SG Lucious Harris (6.9 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 2.0 apg in 21.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +10.5 ppg, -2.4 rpg, and +5.5 apg.

New Jersey trades: PG Jason Kidd (15.5 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 9.2 apg in 36.5 minutes)
New Jersey receives: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 82 games)
PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 48 games)
Change in team outlook: -10.5 ppg, +2.4 rpg, and -5.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Dallas and New Jersey being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Dallas and New Jersey had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:50 PM   #10
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it is more like this: If the VC stuff can't happen.

SG Kerry Kittles (13.1 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 2.5 apg in 34.7 minutes)
New Jersey receives: PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.4 minutes)
PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +3.2 ppg, +5.8 rpg, and -1.1 apg.

Dallas trades: PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.4 minutes)
SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
Dallas receives: PG Jason Kidd (15.5 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 9.2 apg in 67 games)
SG Kerry Kittles (13.1 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 2.5 apg in 82 games)
C Alonzo Mourning (8.0 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 12 games)
Change in team outlook: -3.2 ppg, -5.8 rpg, and +1.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

I would think NJ might do it because:
1) Move Jason Kidd who is unhappy
2) Move the contract of Zo
3) Move the overpaid Kittles
4) Get 20M in expiring contracts back.....
5) Get a 20ppt "franchise" player in Stack
6) Get Delk to play backup 1/2

Dallas:
Gets Kidd, and dumps #'s.

lineup:
Bradley, Booth, Benga
Nowitzki, Najera
Finley, Howard
Daniels, Kittles
Kidd, Harris, Stefansson

IR: TAW, Pavel, Zo

AJ: Coach -- or decide whether AJ helps more than Stefansson and dump Stef if need be.
ZO could probably help coach Pavel and Begna, and Booth and Bradley for that matter.

If Zo could come back, and Kidd does return healthy - that would be a steal of a deal. Awful big "IF's" though.

Not a ton of scoring, but definately better defensively.

Young ones would get the chance to develop, and get playing time.

Maybe ? ? ? ? ?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:58 PM   #11
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

If you changed it from Harris and Mourning to Kittles, I'd do the deal without hesitation.

Bradley - Booth - Benga
Nowitzki - Najera - Laettner
Finley
Daniels - Kittles
Kidd - Harris - Steffansson

IR: Pavel, AJ, TAW

Rotation:

Bradley 20 - Booth 20 - Benga 8
Nowitzki 38 - Najera 10
Finley 30 - Daniels 18
Daniels 15 - Kittles 25 - Kidd 8
Kidd 28 - Harris 20

Old 07-28-2004, 02:00 PM   #12
vashjan

vashjan will become famous soon enoughvashjan will become famous soon enough

This is better. I don't like Josh howard in it. If we give up Josh Howard, then we should get back a 1st round pick with it. (Since we are alos inheriting about $80 mil remaining on Jkidd's salary

Dallas trades: SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.4 minutes)
Dallas receives: PG Jason Kidd (15.5 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 9.2 apg in 36.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -3.5 ppg, -3.0 rpg, and +2.5 apg.

New Jersey receives: SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 26 games)
PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 33 games)
PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 82 games)
Change in team outlook: +3.5 ppg, +3.0 rpg, and -2.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Old 07-28-2004, 02:09 PM   #13
FolterKammer84

FolterKammer84 is on a distinguished road

dunno what you think about it but imo harris might be expendable if we get kidd cause he wouldnt get that much playing time anyway ( i would love to keep harris btw) .
FolterKammer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 02:11 PM   #14
vashjan

This way our rotation would be as follows

Booth/Bradley/Mbenga
Dirk/Lattner/Najera
Fin/Josh
Marquis/Lucious
Kidd/Harris/
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

This will be a sweet lineup!
Old 07-28-2004, 02:16 PM   #15
vashjan

I don;t think so since Kidd has a long contract and he had an injury last year. He is also 31 yrs old. So if he can contribute about 30 minues a game and let Harris do the remaining 18..that will be solid. From what I read and hear this Harris kid is good. We must keep him in case Kidd goes down and in 3 yrs if Kidd is no longer worthwhile.. then we can hopefully get rid of him and have a ready made pg in place running the offence..(of course if that means the Nelsons are still here and other variables...blah blah blah...) Bottom line I like Harris to be here.

If we give up Howard we must get a 1st round pick for him for next yr(since they will be in a lottery and we can maybe pick a legit big man if one is there). NJ has 3 already
Old 07-28-2004, 02:57 PM   #16
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

If the Nets are really intent on getting rid of Kidd, I would think they are looking for major cap relief. A simpler deal of Walker/Laetner for Mourning/Kidd/Harris with a possible addition of Howard.

That would make the Nets an awful awful awful team this season. They would also have about 30MM in cap space next season. With that kind of money to add to some young talent in Jefferson, Collins, and Howard the franchise would be inpretty good shape.

I really don't want to move Howard, but I would have to think real hard about it if Kidd was involved.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:11 PM   #17
Mavs414

Mavs414 is on a distinguished road

i would do it but keep howard but i still want vc
Old 07-28-2004, 04:07 PM   #18
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Booth/Bradley/DJ/Pavel
Dirk/Najera
Finley/Howard
Daniels/harris
Kidd/Harris

I would be a little afraid of kidds recent injury. But I like the deal.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:24 PM   #19
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Booth/Bradley/DJ/Pavel
Dirk/Najera
Finley/Howard
Daniels/harris
Kidd/Harris

I would be a little afraid of kidds recent injury. But I like the deal.
howard plays less than 20 mins/game?..don't think so

dirk/najera
finley/howard
daniels/howard
kidd/DEVIN harris

or better yet

dirk/najera
howard/finley
daniels/finley
kidd/DEVIN harris

lucious harris has no value on this team....mavs don't need another guard..there's too many on the roster
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:53 PM   #20
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Quote:
New Jersey Receives

Atoine Walker
Jerry Stackhouse
Josh Howard
Tony Delk

Dallas Receives

Jason Kidd
Alonzo Mourning
Lucious Harris
You got to do this deal. Try to get New Jersey to throw in a No. 1 pick as well, but you got to do it.

You have a great lineup;

Kidd/Devin Harris/Stefansson
Daniels/Lucious Harris
Finley/Najera
Dirk/Laettner
Bradley/Booth/Benga

IR: TAW/Mourning/Pavel

Mourning may not play, but if he ever does then it's a bonus. In the meantime he can tutor Pavel & DJ. A. Johnson goes to the coaching staff to be D. Harris' personal mentor. Yes, it would be nice to keep Howard, but you got to give up something to get something. L. Harris is on an expiring contract so if you don't want him, then you can let him go next year. Same with Laettner--that will make space for Pavel & the first round draft choice Dallas (I hope) picks up from New Jersey to be on the roster. Maybe you could still trade Laettner for a small forward (where Dallas is a little thin) and Najera could back up Dirk, but Daniels could also swing down to the three, or you could play Stefansson some at the two.

This would be a strong defensive team, explosive running and feature Dirk as its primary weapon in the set offense. A much better team than last year.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:31 PM   #21
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

I dont like Kidd in Dallas - age, health, money are the reasons. If he was 3 years younger, you can take on that contract, but not now IMO. I think NJ would love to find a sucker ummmm errrrrr a "trade partner" for him if they could

Oh and one more issue: intelligence ....

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd, upon his drafting to the Dallas Mavericks
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:52 PM   #22
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
I dont like Kidd in Dallas - age, health, money are the reasons. If he was 3 years younger, you can take on that contract, but not now IMO. I think NJ would love to find a sucker ummmm errrrrr a "trade partner" for him if they could

Oh and one more issue: intelligence ....

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd, upon his drafting to the Dallas Mavericks
Most definitely.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:53 PM   #23
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Nets size up Krstic, Davis

By OHM YOUNGMISUK
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Nenad Krstic, a 2002 draft pick, gets his shot with Nets yesterday.

One is a 7-foot European who is one or two sizes too small for an XXXL T-shirt. The other is a raw and undrafted 6-10 shot-blocker.
The Nets introduced their two new rookie big men yesterday: 2002 first-round pick Nenad Krstic and Auburn rookie Kyle Davis. The problem for the Nets and Jason Kidd is that neither is Kenyon Martin.

"They're building blocks for us," Nets GM Ed Stefanski said. "(Davis) is real athletic, a runner, jumper, block shots. (Krstic) is a very skilled player on the offensive end, works extremely hard. We took a step back (trading Martin) but we feel we are going to take a couple steps forward down the line."

Expect more minor signings to come that will include free-agent swingman Rodney Buford. The Nets, who can extend Richard Jefferson's and Jason Collins' contracts starting Aug. 1, also have their eyes on Eddie Griffin and Ron Mercer.

These are not the types of players Kidd wants. The point guard, who is still vacationing out of the country, is upset about losing Martin. However, unless the 31-year-old Kidd, who is recovering from knee surgery, can be dealt to a team like Dallas, the franchise star will have to get used to passing to Krstic.

"I wanted to play with (Martin), but he's gone," said Krstic, who signed a three-year deal with the Nets after paying $750,000 of his own money to complete a $1.1 million buyout from his Partizan club.

Krstic, who will play for Serbia and Montenegro's Olympic team, has drawn comparisons to Rasho Nesterovic with a better low-post game, according to his agent. Krstic, who was selected 24th overall, also has impressive shooting range, making a few three-pointers yesterday.

He may have to make a few more next season if the Nets trade Kerry Kittles, who may be dealt to the Clippers for draft picks or to Cleveland for Dajaun Wagner in a deal that could also include Eric Williams.

Originally published on July 28, 2004

This is the only article even suggesting kidd to Dallas.

Old 07-28-2004, 05:56 PM   #24
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

If true this could be the best thing so far for us this offseason, lets just not forget we need to ship walker out of here.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:20 PM   #25
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

To be honset, Cuban will never trade for Kidd unless he wants to look like Mr. Contradiction. He preached how you shouldn't pay aging point guards in their 30s. It would make 0 sense then for him to pay 90 million or something to Kidd.

Old 07-28-2004, 07:27 PM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the real reason was not that he didn't want to pay the money, but that he didn't want to pay the money to NASH. I firmly believe that was the case. It was a talent-to-money-ratio decision. Kidd's ratio could be far higher in Cuban's eyes.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:30 PM   #27
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Well, I've never thought that Kidd was much better then Nash anyway. When they went head to head, Nash played very well against Kidd.

Old 07-28-2004, 07:52 PM   #28
jayC
Diamond Member

You are in the minority on that one. Kidd is an all nba player. He's a guy that I believe can play until hes 40 not to mention he is 6ft 5"and does all of the little things to win. Assists, steals and rebounds extremly well for a point guard. Kidd vs. Nash no contest. Superstar vs. two time all-star you pick? I will take the superstar every time.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:50 PM   #29
freestyle

freestyle has a spectacular aura aboutfreestyle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: DevinHarriswillstart
Well, I've never thought that Kidd was much better then Nash anyway. When they went head to head, Nash played very well against Kidd.

Agreed. I have a suspicion that most (NOT ALL) the people who want to see Kidd with the Mavs don't remember what it was like the first time around. Granted, his shooting has improved somewhat since then but what about his maturity level? I just can't get too excited about bringing back a second-rate personality on the downside of his career fresh off a serious injury complete with a long-term monolithic contract.

To his credit, the guy does have skillz and plays hard so I definitely wouldn't mind unloading Walker + some of our spares for him. To me, trading Stackhouse for Kidd alone at this point is a almost a push. I definitely wouldn't have any interest in taking on Zo's contract and I wouldn't even think about including a young stud like JHo in the deal unless I had spent most of the prior day hitting the chronic.

freestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:50 PM   #30
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Superstar! That's my vote.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:53 PM   #31
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
You are flaming a deal that would send Antoine Walker and Jerry Stackhouse away in exchange for

A) The best point guard in the world, bar none.
B) First team ALL NBA last year, and for the past several.
C) A bonafide winner...who makes everyone around him better. He would improve Dirk tremendously.
D) A superb defender.

Are you kidding?

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:47 PM   #32
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Poindexter - I don't see how you could be against a deal like this. We're talking about the Mavs getting Kidd without even really touching their core. Naturally, you have to have a doctor examine Kidd's knee and his medical records, and I'm not keen on taking Mourning back, but I doubt that the Nets will insist on that. Stackhouse/Walker/Howard/Delk for Kidd/Kittles is an absolute no-brainer unless the doctor tells me Kidd can't play.

Old 07-28-2004, 10:15 PM   #33
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know if insurance would cover a percentage of Mourning's deal? I can't imagine any insurance company would have covered that contract when he signed it, given his health history...but if it is covered by insurance, taking 'Zo back doesn't hurt that much, but it helps Jersey free up more cap room...which might help persuade them to pull the trigger without the inclusion of Josh Howard.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:31 PM   #34
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman

You are flaming a deal that would send Antoine Walker and Jerry Stackhouse away in exchange for

A) The best point guard in the world, bar none.
B) First team ALL NBA last year, and for the past several.
C) A bonafide winner...who makes everyone around him better. He would improve Dirk tremendously.
D) A superb defender.

Are you kidding?
It seems like most would like to add Offense not Defense here.

Why have most wanted to get players like T-Mac, Vince, even Van Horn, Tim Thomas, & Penny? They would look nice, but would also take shots away from Dirk and make the 2/3 positions more crowded.
We need a players like Kidd, Dalembert, & Artest here.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:36 PM   #35
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

salary and talent aside - we should only trade for Kidd if he promises to leave his trophy wife and freakish offspring in Jersey.

I think a lot of season ticket holders would be pissed if their line of sight was obscured by the boy's planetoidlike melon.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:55 PM   #36
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
salary and talent aside - we should only trade for Kidd if he promises to leave his trophy wife and freakish offspring in Jersey.

I think a lot of season ticket holders would be pissed if their line of sight was obscured by the boy's planetoidlike melon.
Dude, you have many issues...Go see a therapist. Would you like anyone talking about your family like that? This is a basketball thread; leave the family alone.

Kidd would be an awesome addition. With his passing skills and his defensive ability, Kidd would automatically raise up the talent on this team. Look at K-Mart and J-Rich, not all-star caliber players until J-Kidd. But now, they are on everybody's lists thanks to Kidd. Plus with him and AJ tutoring Harris, there is no telling how well the kid will progress. I love JHo, but if that is the kicker, I'd gladly do it.

Do we have a web page yet?
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 12:07 AM   #37
JoeGalvan

JoeGalvan is on a distinguished road

i am a frequent reader of this board ... but dont really post much ... anyway ... a few comments ...

you would have to do this trade ... i dont think anyone combats that ... the thing that people are saying is ... why the hell would NJ do that?

i also decided to post ... because the last few replies have touched on something very near and dear to my heart ... one juwanna kidd or whatever her name is ... epitomizes the women i wish to have sexual relations with ...

also, i like to do funny photoshops of kidd junior.

enjoy ...

JoeGalvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 12:08 AM   #38
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I never thought much of Kidds game until I saw him in person his rookie year. He simply dominates a game like no other player. A healthy Kidd matched with the core talent on this team would make the Mavs one hell of a team. Kidd, Daniels, Finley, Nowitzki and Booth looks like a fair starting lineup to me. With Kidd passing the ball to him Dirk might just average 30. He would also bring a swagger to the team which was missing last year. Instead of having Walkers whiney butt insisting to get him the ball they would have someone who understands the value of getting the ball to the right man.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 12:18 AM   #39
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Joey

Kidd would be an awesome addition. With his passing skills and his defensive ability, Kidd would automatically raise up the talent on this team. Look at K-Mart and J-Rich, not all-star caliber players until J-Kidd.
Kidd never played with J-Rich. I think you mean Richard Jefferson which would be R-Jeff, but that sounds stupid.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 12:20 AM   #40
withoutmalice

withoutmalice is on a distinguished road

Didn't we get rid of S. Nash because he'd end up costing us millions over the last years of his contract when he's in his late 30's and sitting on the bench as a backup PG? Wouldn't we go through the same thing if we got Kidd? The man is 31 and his skills are on the decline and he was hardly an elite defender at PG last year. All you had to do was watch his play against quicker PG's like C. Billups, Baron Davis, Stephon Marbury, etc. to see that. And when exactly would Devin Harris get a chance to start? Wouldn't his development be stunted by having to serve as Kidd's backup for several years? It's not like we could move Kidd to SG once Harris is ready to start at PG because Kidd is a horrible shooter. We need a stopgap PG this year like Damon Jones or Mike James, that's all.
withoutmalice is offline   Reply With Quote