Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #1
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2016 Bench

I like our bench depth at this point. I really think we improved our bench unit but this article does not mention Seth Curry.

Ranking all 30 NBA benches: A non-playoff team secures top spot

20. Dallas Mavericks
PROJECTED BENCH: J.J. Barea, Devin Harris, Justin Anderson, Dwight Powell, Quincy Acy
Dallas' bench remains just OK. Devin Harris and J.J. Barea are fine players but they only bring so much to the table. Quincy Acy's energy is a nice addition but he's a pretty limited offensive player. The Mavs' only hope for their second unit is if Justin Anderson and Dwight Powell take a noticeable jump in their respective games.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ra...ures-top-spot/
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Mavs could use another vet off the bench. Maybe they pick one up near the deadline.

Otherwise, it looks solid and will really give opposing benches headaches with the young and athleticism.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I like our bench a lot and would put it in the top ten due to versatility.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Dwill, Felton, and Harris were all below the league average for 3pt%. JJ, had a career year shooting and was the only one to be above the league average from the small guards. Those guys were great at attacking off the dribble and each had their moments in big games for us but it's tough on spacing when those guys play off ball and defenders can cheat off them. So I like that we added Curry and possibly Gibson to help with shot making and spacing.

Like others have said the versatility is something that is prolly most exciting. The Roster looks like it can play small and not be crippled by defense+shooting like last year. It also doesn't *have* to play small like the roster last year seemed to need to do. It took a while for Simba to crack the regular rotation, CV3 was a mess, Powell fell out of favor, Parsons was hurt, Evans was too big of a liability in other areas to even set foot on the floor, McGee was.... well.... McGee. Our best 3 bench players were basically all small guards and aside from JJ none of them shot the ball great, and we sacrificed defense and rebounding to have lineups with 3 of the 4 on the court at once not to mention they all took turns being injured which was basically the only time Simba would see the floor.

All of those reasons contributed to Wes playing more than double the time he has ever played at the 3 last year. Which I think he can play the 3 fine in the right situations but coming off an injury and being surrounded with guys like Felton at the 2, JJ at the 1, Parsons at the 4, and Zaza at the 5... that's pretty gross defensively. I don't think we will have that same problem this year and that's exciting.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #5
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Dwill, Felton, and Harris were all below the league average for 3pt%. JJ, had a career year shooting and was the only one to be above the league average from the small guards. Those guys were great at attacking off the dribble and each had their moments in big games for us but it's tough on spacing when those guys play off ball and defenders can cheat off them. So I like that we added Curry and possibly Gibson to help with shot making and spacing.

Like others have said the versatility is something that is prolly most exciting. The Roster looks like it can play small and not be crippled by defense+shooting like last year. It also doesn't *have* to play small like the roster last year seemed to need to do. It took a while for Simba to crack the regular rotation, CV3 was a mess, Powell fell out of favor, Parsons was hurt, Evans was too big of a liability in other areas to even set foot on the floor, McGee was.... well.... McGee. Our best 3 bench players were basically all small guards and aside from JJ none of them shot the ball great, and we sacrificed defense and rebounding to have lineups with 3 of the 4 on the court at once not to mention they all took turns being injured which was basically the only time Simba would see the floor.

All of those reasons contributed to Wes playing more than double the time he has ever played at the 3 last year. Which I think he can play the 3 fine in the right situations but coming off an injury and being surrounded with guys like Felton at the 2, JJ at the 1, Parsons at the 4, and Zaza at the 5... that's pretty gross defensively. I don't think we will have that same problem this year and that's exciting.

BRAVO SIR! Very well stated!
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:32 AM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how the final roster shakes out, but our bench has definitely gotten younger...

Harris, 33
Barea, 32
Mejri, 30
Gibson, 28
Acy, 25
Curry, 25
Powell, 24
Collinsworth, 24
Hornsby, 24
Hammond, 23
Finney-Smith, 23
Brussino, 23
Anderson, 22
Warner, 22

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #7
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

I like our bench but the article is still right. For us to improve, Anderson, Powell, and Mejri need to take a big step up. I honestly hope that Anderson becomes a Ginobili type of player that technically comes off the bench but in reality gets starter minutes. If Powell and Mejri step up, then JJB can really make them look good with their superior athleticism for lobs ... and also Curry with his outside shooting. I expect Acy to be a true X-factor. The times I've seen him play, I've really like his effort and what he brings.

However, it's still a huge unknown. Harris (and JJB) could get injured. Powell and Mejri could just be the same as last year with no improvement. Acy could be a foul machine. Don't know much about Curry honestly. It really comes down to health over the season which we have no control and RC who I hope has got the message from Cuban and Donnie to fully develop these younger players. BUT, I agree that I'm really excited to see these guys and expect great things from them.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas Mavericks: Who Will Be Team Rookie of the Year?

Old 08-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #9
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Quote:
Isaac Harris: Jonathan Gibson

“This is hard because none of them are guaranteed minutes this coming season. Collinsworth will be a Texas Legend. Finney-Smith and Brussino will fight each other for a roster spot in my opinion. That leaves Hammons and Gibson. I think Gibson would have to be my pick because if Deron Williams goes down, Gibson could be the primary backup to J.J. Barea. But when healthy, I don’t see Gibson beating out Williams, Barea, Curry, or Harris for minutes.”
Pretty close to how I feel except if Dwill went down I'm not convinced Gibson would initiate offense all that much based on what I saw in SL and Seth just seems like a better option behind JJ(Hell some of us are prolly hoping he beats out JJ/Harris). But all of the guards are injury prone so he would be in line to soak up minutes somewhere more than likely. I also think that only one of DFS or Brussino will be here. The others are camp fodder. I think I prefer Brussino personally just because I think DFS would be willing to still play in the D league after being cut. I'm not so sure Brussino sticks around in the NBA this season when he probably could play for a club outside of the USA for more money and more comfort if we cut him. And based on the very limited amount of youtube vids I've watched of them I slightly prefer Brussino to DFS... but if the 15th guy is in line for rookie of the year for mavs talks by the end of the season... something either went really really good, or turribly bad.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #10
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

My expectations of Curry are probably too high but I'm predicting he becomes a star off our bench this season. Sample size has certainly been too small but what little I've seen of him suggests that he has the skills in Rick's system.

But I predicted the same about Greg Smith and missed badly on that one. Hope Curry is able to contribute and not become another Jenkins.

Last edited by rimrocker; 08-04-2016 at 09:40 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
Underdog

Jonathan Gibson a Roster Lock?

Old 08-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #12
Underdog

CBS has the Mavs bench ranked #20