Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #121
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Donnie on the draft:

Quote:
"I think in this particular instance, this was a unique draft with some early surprises which as a result, I think teams in the middle started to hold on to their picks. I think there were a lot of deals that were in the late lottery that didn't happen because of the way picks three and four went. Then, all of a sudden, people were going to push some of those lottery guys down. I think as a result there was probably less activity up in that area. When we got down to the 20's as we laid out, between the international guys because there was a lot of 'draft and stash' with those type of guys. There was a pretty significant influx of those international guys, which again pushed guys down.''

"And [Hammons] was one of them. What we like is a four-year guy, All-Big Ten defense, at 24, he has a body that can come right in and have an immediate impact. He's a shot-blocker, 2.5 or so a game. He has a rebound every three minutes, which is excellent for a big guy. Soft hands, he has a nice little low box to him. Good patience. Makes his free throws. Hits a mid-range jump shot. ... I think what you're looking at is a pretty valuable pick in the second round. But certainly he's not perfect, otherwise we wouldn't be looking at him in the second round. But he's got the right stuff and he's at the right age and it's at a need position for us."

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #122
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Donnie on the draft:
I really liked seeing what Finley had to say

1) he seems really high on the kid and thinks he can not only get some PT, but also contribute with rebounds, blocks, and low-post scoring

2) It's just comforting to see Finley still around the Mavs franchise.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #123
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
2) It's just comforting to see Finley still around the Mavs franchise.
That! Anytime the camera shows him sitting on the bench, I smile no matter what is going on in the game. Quality and Class 100%.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:02 AM   #124
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Hes the typical 2nd rounder. There's a lot to like. We got nice value there. But as of now he's a raw big man who teams were scared of because he's 24 which is wierd to me because I want the collegiate guy who's battle tested and stayed 4 years. If he was 19 he would've been a first rounder. Nothing not to like about him on the court. Mentally may be another story.
yes. We all know the horror story that was Tim Duncan, for example. You'd think more people would be picking big men that stayed four years. It takes time to develop a center.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:08 AM   #125
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Well that's my thing. I don't think he will get any playing time here. Not from Carlisle. Not because of the whole "he doesn't play young guys thing" but for like you said. Low motor.
I think the low motor is exaggerated. How does someone with a low motor become DPOY in the Big Ten? It sounds like maybe earlier in his career, and that he's already moving forward...and that will continue in his pro career, and with the Mavs.

I don't think Carlisle will be against him, but he will let him know what is expected, and see where it goes from there. Probably just what the kid needs.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #126
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@BillSimmons: These FA overpays have made 2016's draft picks wildly undervalued if you landed legit backups (like, if Dallas hit on Hammons at 46)

Old 07-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #127
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@BillSimmons: These FA overpays have made 2016's draft picks wildly undervalued if you landed legit backups (like, if Dallas hit on Hammons at 46)
Too bad the Mavs didn't realize this a while ago, but I suppose better late than never.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #128
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Too bad the Mavs didn't realize this a while ago, but I suppose better late than never.
Just in time for a rebuild.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #129
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
That! Anytime the camera shows him sitting on the bench, I smile no matter what is going on in the game. Quality and Class 100%.
Yeah he's probably one of the more underrated Mavs. In his prime his combination of defense and athleticism......what I would do to have that in a Mavs uniform now.

I'll never forget his dunk on David Robinson and Yao Ming........

Glad he's still around the team.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #130
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Well, at least they won't be paying much while he just sits. :-O
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #131
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hammons got a fully guaranteed 3 yr deal apparently. For a second rounder that's good. I obliviously would have preferred a make-good with team options to keep the for in his belly, but the new NBA demands you keep guys on rookie contracts and away from free agency as long as possible.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #132
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Hammons got a fully guaranteed 3 yr deal apparently. For a second rounder that's good. I obliviously would have preferred a make-good with team options to keep the for in his belly, but the new NBA demands you keep guys on rookie contracts and away from free agency as long as possible.
Yep. These types of contracts will be the new normal.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 07-06-2016 at 05:38 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:22 PM   #133
EastTxMFFL

EastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really nice

In my little fantasy world Hammons becomes Andre Drummond 2.0 for Dallas.
EastTxMFFL is offline   Reply With Quote