Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Which do the Mavs suck at more?
The Draft 5 25.00%
Free Agency 15 75.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which do the Mavs suck at more, the draft or free agency?

For fifth straight year, Mavs fail in free agency

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-01-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Cuban is obsessed with beating the system. He doesn't see that he's the system's bitch.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #3
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

The Draft. Because that's where the breakdown begins and ends. And player development goes hand in hand with that. See Crowder, Jae. Or another better term may be player development with an eye on maximizing available assets.

I'm picturing Rosas going back to Houston telling everybody "that clown Cuban really thinks he knows better than everybody*lols*!" Morey of course takes this personally because he does know better.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

And as an addendum: player eval- two first round picks sent out for Odom and Rondo. Alligator Arms over Giannis, Schroeder, Gobert, Plumlee, Dieng, etc.

Not development young guys to maximize their value(Crowder). Never ever selling high. Always a step behind.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Mavericks' NBA free agency problem is a product of the wrong philosophy

Old 07-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Free agency is something you can't sweat on too much. It's the drafting. Need better scouts and a assistant GM. I was thinking Terry should comeback to retire here. Then work into the organization to be Donnie's assistant GM.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

I went with free agency, because their draft failings seem to be due to their free agency obsession. I don't think anyone in the Mavs FO actually believed that Larkin would be better than Giannis.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say drafting but not so much because Donnie is bad at drafting but because the Mavs view the draft as a tool to acquire vets via trades.
That strategy should now change.

I heard a lot of noise on the radio today about how RC doesn't need to be the coach if we rebuild. I completely disagree with that notion because RC is a coach and will (and should) try to win every game with the talent he has. Can't fault him when we fill the roster with vets past the prime but are better than the young players.
I think Rick can coach youth if that is all he has to work with.

The draft and draft picks should be taken more seriously from now on.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Draft. In the past couple of seasons we got Parsons, Ellis and Matthews and came very close to landing DJ when we realistically never should have had a chance in the first place. Maybe that hasn't translated into playoff success, but it's something. The draft OTOH we've gotten diddely squat out of for more than a decade.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:05 PM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I heard a lot of noise on the radio today about how RC doesn't need to be the coach if we rebuild. I completely disagree with that notion because RC is a coach and will (and should) try to win every game with the talent he has. Can't fault him when we fill the roster with vets past the prime but are better than the young players.
I don't know that Rick is the right coach for a rebuilding team, or that he would even want that job, but if we can hold onto him, then we absolutely have to. As soon as Dirk is gone, he is the only name attached to the Mavs that has any sort of credibility or respect around the league. Right now I'm hoping he'll be our Jerry Sloan.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #11
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
There are coaches who can develop youth, and there are coaches who can win you championships... Rick is the latter -- he wants no part in a rebuild.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #12
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
There are coaches who can develop youth, and there are coaches who can win you championships... Rick is the latter -- he wants no part in a rebuild.
Can you trade coaches in the NBA? I know you can in the NFL. Rick is worth at least a couple of first round picks.

(I'm only half joking.)
Old 07-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #13
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Can you trade coaches in the NBA? I know you can in the NFL. Rick is worth at least a couple of first round picks.

(I'm only half joking.)
Yep, Doc Rivers to Clippers comes to mind.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-01-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #14
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Yes
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:24 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Free agency caused by complete disregard for the draft and player development. We are okay in the draft when we aren't trading picks for Odom and Rondo. It's just our total lack of draft guys and young, developing talent makes it a really unattractive location to come to. Look at Anderson. Not terribly good draft position but we got a good guy and when given a chance he shone bright. Now imagine if we'd been drafting guys like him for a decade instead of throwing away picks for Rondo, Odom and other buttheads. We've mortgaged out future for the present and lost out on both. Without draft picks and young guys, we have no cheap, talented kids. Without talented kids, no one wants to listen to Cuban.

That and Cuban has outworn his welcome. Dude is like your friend in college that promises to get you laid at a bar, but instead he shares embarassing stories about you and does the worm on the pool table.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-01-2016 at 09:25 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #16
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Free agency. Mavs aren't much better at the draft, but nothing is a gut punch like these failed summers. At least we have some young guys in Powell, Anderson, Mejri, and Hammons to look forward to. Ain't got sh** worth of free agents to look forward to.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #17
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Free agency. Mavs aren't much better at the draft, but nothing is a gut punch like these failed summers. At least we have some young guys in Powell, Anderson, Mejri, and Hammons to look forward to. Ain't got sh** worth of free agents to look forward to.
I don't mind the Mavs going after the "big fish." In fact, they'd be silly not to try. But it is kind of insane that they never seemed to have any kind of back-up plan.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #18
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I don't mind the Mavs going after the "big fish." In fact, they'd be silly not to try. But it is kind of insane that they never seemed to have any kind of back-up plan.
I'm hoping signs point to them being serious about rebuilding now. Why else wouldn't they be interested in any of the obvious free agents?

I just think the FO tried to delay the inevitable. Losing always sucks, but I'd much rather watch young guys grow into NBA players versus watching another 30+ something squad grind it out night after night.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:38 PM   #19
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I'm hoping signs point to them being serious about rebuilding now. Why else wouldn't they be interested in any of the obvious free agents?

I just think the FO tried to delay the inevitable. Losing always sucks, but I'd much rather watch young guys grow into NBA players versus watching another 30+ something squad grind it out night after night.
Amen. Honestly I was ready for the Mavs to blow it up and start over as soon as DJ reneged on his commitment.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:28 PM   #20
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Its close but i'd say the draft.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:36 AM   #21
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Hands down free agency.

Obviously it has more to do with philosophy where Cuban disregards draft and has no backup plans when engaging the free agency. I would say drafting, but you would have to take part in drafts in order to be bad at it. Mavs are constantly trading away and/or down, so they have worse drafting positions.

In free agency, they should have had a good position compared to others. At least after the title year when Dirk was younger. Nobody wants to go to Dallas and this is something that Cuban has refused to address.

I think one of the reasons of it is that Mavs have never had a futuristic vision. By that I mean there has always been a win-now mode but never a promise for the future.

I also would take a first round pick for Rick Carlisle and sign Scott Brooks to develop young. Would not be able to see how Rick keeps young talent in constant doghouse and lets lesser talented but harder workers to get more minutes.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:25 AM   #22
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Scott Brooks is the coach for Washington.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #23
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Free agency. It's where they try their hardest, and still fail. They barely even try at the draft.

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #24
Underdog

Last edited by Underdog; 07-10-2016 at 01:08 PM. Reason: needed its own thread