Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Cleveland is not in the luxury tax.

I don't have any actual insight like BG, but I absolutely believe that the stance on long term contracts is very real and not at all a bargaining position. Sure the owners would like to find ways to keep players from moving and leaving them with nothing. But their first priority is going to be to lower their costs, which could mean shorter contracts, less guarantees, and maybe a harder cap.

None of it may come to pass, and there will probably some sort of "grandfather" process to easy any transition, but the prudent thing is still to be cautious and leave yourself in a good position no matter the outcome.
Strange cuz ESPN trade machine has them 14 million over the cap... Is this because of the Lebron TE or something? I admittedly don't understand all of the salary-cap stuff precisely.
Like i said in my post above i'd be a little disappointed if the FO passed on a superior player for a lesser one or,worse, no move at all due to future fiscal concerns. I'm all for getting good value. But as good as this team looked before Dirk and Caron's injuries it'd be a shame not to get the best player available if the cost in assets isn't exorbitant.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Strange cuz ESPN trade machine has them 14 million over the cap... Is this because of the Lebron TE or something? I admittedly don't understand all of the salary-cap stuff precisely.
Like i said in my post above i'd be a little disappointed if the FO passed on a superior player for a lesser one or,worse, no move at all due to future fiscal concerns. I'm all for getting good value. But as good as this team looked before Dirk and Caron's injuries it'd be a shame not to get the best player available if the cost in assets isn't exorbitant.
Aaaah, they still have Wally Z's contract on their books. For a whopping 19mil. Holy effing crap.

So I guess they are in LT this year. Wow. Man they're only a couple mil from getting under the LT line. They must be desperate to make that happen, no?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 01-23-2011 at 12:59 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:58 AM   #3
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Aaaah, they still have Wally Z's contract on their books. For a whopping 19mil. Holy effing crap.

So I guess they are in LT this year. Wow.
holy crap. lol
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

So I guess they are in LT this year. Wow. Man they're only a couple mil from getting under the LT line. They must be desperate to make that happen, no?
The gift that keeps giving....
Either way, a TPE for Session gets them even more set up to rebuild.

It totally needs to be a youth movement up there.

Sessions would be a pretty good "get." He's relatively cheap for a point guard. He kind of hovers in that borderline range I think when it comes to the long term effect payroll and talent wise but he's definitely more in line versus SJax.