Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-01-2016, 11:38 PM   #1
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoYouEvenLift View Post
I'm not sure if gutsy is the right word offering this Dwayne Wade who's been on minute restrictions 20 million a year. We have all kinds of holes one of the few positions we're ok at is shooting guard with Matthews it makes no sense, and to top it off it's Dwayne Wade.
You don't know how the roster is going to fill out yet. Wade and Dirk closing a game together as a team I'll take than Parsons closing games here in the clutch.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Are we really playing the Wade game? Some of you must be gluttons for punishment and despair. All leverage and he damn sure wouldn't choose Dallas when they're better destinations on the table.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:45 PM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Are we really playing the Wade game? Some of you must be gluttons for punishment and despair. All leverage and he damn sure wouldn't choose Dallas when they're better destinations on the table.
No kidding. I'm pretty skeptical of that rumor anyway.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:47 PM   #4
DoYouEvenLift

DoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
You don't know how the roster is going to fill out yet. Wade and Dirk closing a game together as a team I'll take than Parsons closing games here in the clutch.
What I know is Wesley Matthews is signed for 17 million a year for 3 more years. Now if it comes to a sign and trade with Miami Wes for Wade or we trade Wes for something then I could kinda understand but it makes no sense at all to have Wes + Wade both shooting guards taking up 37 million dollars. The idea of Wade in a Mavs uniform makes me throw up in a mouth a little anyway.
DoYouEvenLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:47 PM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

What I want to know is, are the Mavs even trying to be competitive for the remaining free agents, or are they planning to tank?
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:54 PM   #6
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
What I want to know is, are the Mavs even trying to be competitive for the remaining free agents, or are they planning to tank?
Its going to be interesting to see what approach they take because they are going to have a tough time getting to that 90% threshold they have to get to.

What about the Allen Crabbe's of the world? Do they have a home?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:52 AM   #7
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I really think they dont know yet. Theyre waiting until all the free agents are picked through and then see if they can salvage together the players to make a run at the 10 seed. If not, then I think they talk to Dirk about maybe looking elsewhere.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:49 PM   #8
DoYouEvenLift

DoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really nice

What is the cap floor? like 85 million? Max out Dirk and Deron and trade for Tyson, then we have a big 3....ish.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:53 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

A big three that doesn't include Simba?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #10
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Wade rumors should not be taken seriously. Wade started to build leverage through Mavs. It was reported that his people had contacted the Mavs. Nothing else has been confirmed.

Sources inside Mavs confirmed that they were approached by Wade's agent. This is the only information that everyone goes by thinking that Mavs have in any way interest in Wade. Mavs response probably was 'not interested, click' and people still consider Mavs as his possible suitors. No talks, no meetings have been planned. No real rumors.

By the way, Mavs Front Office is probably on the vacation at the moment. I think other than Conley and Whiteside, they haven't really had a talk with anyone. Brief call with Batum and that's it. I'm telling you, Cuban has something planned for the lockout...
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #11
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Cuban doesn't have a plan. Actually he does. It's just not a good one. He wants to hire average vets for 1 year contracts. That's been his plan since the championship.

He is like a guy at a strip club who thinks if he brings enough bills, she'll fall in love with him. He loves to dream about those free agents. He loves to pretend he has a shot at it. But he's really just a joke to the rest of the league.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:23 PM   #12
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

As if this free agency hasn't been bad enough already now I have to put up with the possibility of wade in a mavs uniform lmao. Good thing he's just being his asshole self and using us for leverage.

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
DoYouEvenLift

We're going to end up giving OJ Mayo banned player the max just to reach the cap floor.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #14
DoYouEvenLift

(sorry for the trifecta post) It looks like we're signing someone, Dirk. He's staying

From Eddie Sefko, Dallas Morning News:
A source said that Dirk Nowitzki remains as committed as ever to the team in spite of free agent shortfalls thus far.

Also, from ESPN's Dallas beat writer, usually a reliable source:
Follow
Tim MacMahon ✔ @espn_macmahon
Memo to the #FreeDirk lobbyists: He is free. It's his decision to stay in Dallas. Not like Mark Cuban has kidnapped him.
10:02 AM - 2 Jul 2016
56 56 Retweets 91 91 likes

2h
Nicholas Taylor @ShadyNT
@espn_macmahon @mcuban #FreeDirk means we want @swish41 to go ahead and sign elsewhere bc he doesn't deserve another trash team in Dallas
Follow
Tim MacMahon ✔ @espn_macmahon
@ShadyNT I get it ... But the dude has made the decision that staying in Dallas his whole career is want he wants.
10:09 AM - 2 Jul 2016
Retweets 8 8 likes
Old 07-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #15
EastTxMFFL

EastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really nice

Next years draft is fairly deep. I hope Dallas can find a way to stockpile picks.
EastTxMFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:42 PM   #16
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTxMFFL View Post
Next years draft is fairly deep. I hope Dallas can find a way to stockpile picks.
It depends on what the approach is here. If Dirk stays they'll keep Wes and Devin who are our best chips. Maybe they'll go full rebuild with Dirk on board, just hard to see it. They could try the Portland approach and go quick, young rebuild. Hell, the could sign all three young Portland free agents and really follow their blueprint
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #17
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
It depends on what the approach is here. If Dirk stays they'll keep Wes and Devin who are our best chips. Maybe they'll go full rebuild with Dirk on board, just hard to see it. They could try the Portland approach and go quick, young rebuild. Hell, the could sign all three young Portland free agents and really follow their blueprint
I'm personally hoping for the Boston approach. Hoard draft picks and unselfish young role players on friendly contracts. It hasn't paid off just yet but I have a feeling within the next couple of seasons Danny Ainge is going to look like a genius.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #18
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm personally hoping for the Boston approach. Hoard draft picks and unselfish young role players on friendly contracts. It hasn't paid off just yet but I have a feeling within the next couple of seasons Danny Ainge is going to look like a genius.
That would be ideal. But that was enabled by a perfect storm of Billy King stupid. That was an historic haul they received from Brooklyn. It makes the Hershel Walker trade look tame in comparison. Boston will still be benefiting from that trade for like 2 more years.

Our best case is we trade Wes for a pick pretty heavily protected that winds up late lottery and late teens. Maybe Devin fetches a 2nd? It takes time and Boston is still searching for their star. Also, tons of teams have cap room. So it may actually cost us to acquire a Rubio or Kantner. And they are most likely being sent East. This is going to be a long, slow process of many years. Even if we tank and land the #1 pick.

I feel bad for Dirk. And all of us fans. Is a class action lawsuit feasible?
Old 07-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #19
Melonhead
Guru

Dirk better be going big this season. $$$$
Old 07-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #20
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

So Biyombo is going to Orlando huh. I got this feeling we're talking to Pau Gasol.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #21
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
So Biyombo is going to Orlando huh. I got this feeling we're talking to Pau Gasol.
I have a feeling we're not so it balances out.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #22
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

‏@AlexKennedyNBA: The Mavericks, Timberwolves, Pelicans and Spurs are among the teams that have expressed interest in unrestricted free agent Thomas Robinson.

/googles Thomas Robinson

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-02-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #23
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
‏@AlexKennedyNBA: The Mavericks, Timberwolves, Pelicans and Spurs are among the teams that have expressed interest in unrestricted free agent Thomas Robinson.

/googles Thomas Robinson
Google says he's a PF. Glad theyre going for the most important position of need at the moment.

Career 4.9 ppg 4.8 rpg

Last edited by Melonhead; 07-02-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #24
DoYouEvenLift

Expect Thomas Robinson to be available in the 10 million per year range.

Oh I have no insight on it, in fact I don't even know who Thomas Robinson is, but it seems players I've never heard of are getting 10 million per year this summer.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #25
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

He has played some center for both Portland and Nets. Started for Lopez some last season. I know he's athletic and can put up raw stats when given minutes, but I'm not sure how good he actually is.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #26
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
He has played some center for both Portland and Nets. Started for Lopez some last season. I know he's athletic and can put up raw stats when given minutes, but I'm not sure how good he actually is.
I think that'd be the hope. Small ball center and energy guy. But letting Parsons walk is going to seem silly once we start handing out 10m per year contracts to absolute non entities.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #27
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think that'd be the hope. Small ball center and energy guy. But letting Parsons walk is going to seem silly once we start handing out 10m per year contracts to absolute non entities.
Parsons wasn't a net positive for us even when healthy and his contract is 22.2mill next season. Getting two, young guys for 10 each, particularly guys who have averaged 12/14 per 36 is a better deal.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #28
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Parsons wasn't a net positive for us even when healthy and his contract is 22.2mill next season. Getting two, young guys for 10 each, particularly guys who have averaged 12/14 per 36 is a better deal.
I'm no huge Parsons supporter believe me. But guys like Robinson are fringe NBA players. I want them to swing for the fences on high upside guys. But most likely Robinson is what he is at this point.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #29
DoYouEvenLift

Greg Smith 2.0?

Speaking of that, I think Greg Smith is available. Maybe he can start for us next season.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #30
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I think Robinson had a partial tear in his meniscus a year ago.... but he was a top 10 or maybe 5 draft pick.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #31
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Robinson averages 12pts 14reb per 36 and coming off rookie contract. Only good thing I've heard from the Mavs
Old 07-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #32
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@AlexKennedyNBA: D-League MVP Jarnell Stokes has interest from Spurs, Mavs and Nuggets, per sources. He averaged 20.6 PPG (66.5% FG) and 9.3 RPG in D-League.

/googles Jarnell Stokes

Old 07-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #33
Underdog

Quote:

/googles Thomas Robinson
Quote:
@AlexKennedyNBA: D-League MVP Jarnell Stokes has interest from Spurs, Mavs and Nuggets, per sources. He averaged 20.6 PPG (66.5% FG) and 9.3 RPG in D-League.

/googles Jarnell Stokes

Anyone know what a rebuild looks like? I'm unfamiliar...

Old 07-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #34
yahyes
Banned

Are they trying to pair Robinson and Powell at PF/C? Cause Robinson starting at center sounds like a bad idea.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #35
mac222b
Diamond Member

So this may go down as the historic offseason in which we secured both Robinson and Stokes. I'm in
Old 07-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #36
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
So this may go down as the historic offseason in which we secured both Robinson and Stokes. I'm in
I'm stokesed
Old 07-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #37
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I'm stokesed
Right on!
Old 07-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #38
Underdog

@AlexKennedyNBA: Hearing the Dallas Mavericks are thinking of extending an offer sheet to RFA Harrison Barnes. Nothing imminent, but it's been considered.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #39
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@AlexKennedyNBA: Hearing the Dallas Mavericks are thinking of extending an offer sheet to RFA Harrison Barnes. Nothing imminent, but it's been considered.
Finally something that makes sense. He'd be the perfect player to rebuild with since you have to fill the ridiculously high cap anyway.

...of course, Warriors will match so there is that.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 07-02-2016 at 04:58 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #40
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Finally something that makes sense. He'd be the perfect player to rebuild with since you have to fill the ridiculously high cap anyway.

...of course, Warriors will match so there is that.
Our odds increase if Durant waits till July 7th in deciding where he goes. So it's something that wont hurt to make public right now. They're also still undecided about their center position. Which is also something that can drag out for them.

Last edited by yahyes; 07-02-2016 at 05:10 PM.