Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-12-2005, 12:31 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default DMN Notebook: Howard's questionable against Rockets

Are Mavs up to the challenge?
Win tonight would complete a sweep of five-game homestand

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

When this homestand started last year, Don Nelson challenged the Mavericks to go 5-0.

It seems like a long time ago, because it was. But the Mavericks are one win away from fulfilling that prophecy of five wins in 17 days.

And yet, Nelson is less than giddy.

"He's actually not in a good mood," Dirk Nowitzki said Tuesday. "He knows the competition is going to get harder. We beat a bunch of East Coast teams that we're supposed to beat. We haven't really done anything. It's a big week. San Antonio has already made us look bad twice this year."

Not that Nowitzki, Nelson or anybody else is looking ahead. There's the little matter of the Houston Rockets visiting American Airlines Center tonight before the Mavericks take aim at the Spurs on Friday in San Antonio.

The Mavericks have won five in a row dating to Dec. 26 at Denver. The average margin has been 17.2 points, and none of the games has been closer than 14 points. If there's a gripe, it's that the Mavericks have not had to be sharp late in games to secure a win.

As Nowitzki said, you don't find out much about your team when you're up 20 against Boston or Milwaukee in the first half. Still, Nelson has seen what he's wanted to see on this homestand.

"Everybody's playing at a high level, and when somebody has an off night, somebody seems to pick them up," he said. "I said any loss is going to be failure for the five games [on this homestand]. So we have one to go. Then I'll give you my opinion."

Michael Finley, the guardian who makes sure the Mavericks' collective ego doesn't spin out of control, believes they are handling the success well.

"I don't care what critics or other teams think of us," he said. "I just want us to not be satisfied with where we're at right now. We could easily, in my estimation, be one of the top teams in this league. But don't be satisfied with this little winning streak."

The upcoming schedule, which features nine games in 15 days against a fairly testy schedule, is going to require that the Mavericks prove they didn't grow soft during this long stint of home cooking.

"We're prepared to go into these games with tougher opponents," Finley said. "Not to take away from any of the teams we've beaten in this winning streak, but the teams coming up are a lot better."

Nowitzki put things in layman's terms.

"After we won the four straight, we can't let this one slip," he said. "Then it would be a good home-stand. I wouldn't say we saved the world or anything, but it was a step forward."

Howard questionable:

Josh Howard missed his second day of practice with the flu. Coach Don Nelson said the Mavericks may not be at full strength tonight.

"We haven't seen him for a while," Nelson said. "That'll impact us. We'll have to come up with another schmo."

We think he meant another starter at shooting guard who has a chance of sticking with Tracy McGrady.

Coaches in pain:

The Mavericks coaching staff is in worse physical condition than the players.

Assistant coach Del Harris had rotator cuff surgery on his left shoulder Monday but was back at practice Tuesday.

Player-development coach Kelvin Upshaw is set to have surgery on his right anterior cruciate ligament next week. He tore the ACL in a pickup game against Mavericks players.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:36 AM   #2
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: DMN Notebook: Howard's questionable against Rockets

We'll see Saturday if we can give this team credit for this streak or not.

And just how hard was Kelvin Upshaw playing to tear his ACL in that pickup game? I'm assuming that's the ones where the coaches beat our reserves.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I hope JHo recovers in time for the game. We need him to keep TMac in check.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #4
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I heard on ESPN radio that Howard wasn't going to play. Get well soon Josh!
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:DMN Notebook: Howard's questionable against Rockets

can't NBA players get flu shots now that there isnt such a shortage? Many teams got them even when they were limited.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Maybe Terry can guard T-Mac....idk
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: bcrav4
Maybe Terry can guard T-Mac....idk
i would be more comfortable with finley or stackhouse on tmac...terry just gives up too much in height, so tmac would have too easy a time getting his shot off.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:38 PM   #8
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
can't NBA players get flu shots now that there isnt such a shortage? Many teams got them even when they were limited.
Vaccinations that are inhaled have been available for a while, but you can't have those if you have any kind of disease. Shots have been available, but they are still a little rare. I know I just got mine right before Christmas eventhough I needed one as soon as they came out (but none were to be found in Dallas or Pa even when my doctors searched for me). I heard later today that he has an upper respiratory problem, not the flu.

DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #9
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

Terry gives up over half a foot to McGrady...bad idea