Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Mavs vs Thunder or Lakers?
Thunder 14 73.68%
Lakers 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
JET41

JET41 will become famous soon enough
Default Mavericks vs Lakers or Thunder in 1st Round Postseason?

This probably doesn't even matter now but tonight is the day where we would find out will the Mavericks face off against OKC Thunder or LA Lakers in the first round.
When you look at the bench and starters on both teams, which team would they be better off facing off against in the first round?

The Mavs are 0-4 against the Lakers during the regular season.
The Mavs are 1-3 against OKC during the regular season.

Some facts before you make an decision:

Notes on Lakers vs Mavericks regular season games 2011/2012
GM1: Loss (70-73) Bad offensive game from both teams.
00:03.1: Derek Fisher hits the winning shot. (Fisher is currently with OKC by the way)
GM2: Loss (91-96)
Rodrigue Beabois - NWT Personal
Lamar Odom - NWT Personal

Hideous rebounding caused Mavericks this game. Although they were already down by 2pts with 29.1 to go.
GM3: Loss (93 - 109) Shawn Marion, DNP - Sore Left Knee
If your name is not Dirk Nowitzki or Jason JET Terry on the Mavericks then you didn't score more then double digit points.
The team combined for 44 pts, Nowitzki & Terry combined for 49 points.
This game was like a blowout, after 1st quarter. All Lakers.

GM4: Loss (108-112)
Delonte West, Jason Terry and Dirk Nowitzki combined for 65 of Mavericks 108 points but it wasn't enough for a win.
Pau Gasol makes a 3-pointer in overtimes that has basketball interference from Ramon Sessions but the refs doesn't call anything on it... so we'll never know if that was the play that caused Mavs this Lose.
Jason Terry send the game to overtime but during overtime, he misses a layup to tie the game.

Some Notes on the OKC vs Mavericks season games.

GM1: Rodrigue Beaubios DNP - Coaches Decision
Dirk Nowitzki with an terrific game. 9-17 shooting for 19pts, 10 rebounds & 4 assist.

00:01.4: Vince Carter 3pt to give Dallas the lead.
00:00.0 Bad defense in the end leaves Durant for a distance 3-pointer which he knocks down at the buzzer.

GM2: Win - The whole roster played [minus Sean Williams] and this game was a great win with Mavericks getting to 100pts, leaving OKC on 87. (100-87) final score.
GM3: Loss (86 - 95) Not one of the best Dirk games. Nowitzki goes for 8pts in 2/15 in shooting.
Jason Terry was the only thing productive about the game for the Mavs with 25pts (7-10), 2 steals, 3 assist.

GM4: Loss (91-95) 1st quarter, both team trading leads. 2nd quarter, all Mavs leading by as much as 10pts.
3rd quarter, it shifts back to an OKC quarter.
4th quarter, is back and fourth.
This game goes down to the final wire. Last minute mistakes caused the Mavs although this game could've went any derection.

The Good: Mavs were close in most of the games and loss to some buzzer beaters.
The Bad: The Mavs loss to buzzer beaters in both series which means they need to play better defense during last possession and find a way to keep a lead when they have one.
They loss more games then they won in both series.

JET41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Doesn't matter, whichever one we don't face we'll have to face in round two (unless they also get upset by Denver)
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
JET41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
Doesn't matter, whichever one we don't face we'll have to face in round two (unless they also get upset by Denver)

Which one do you have more faith in that we can defeat?
I do agree with you though, I really think either match up can be difficult for the first round but I'll trust Mavericks even though this is definitely not the same team as last years....
Old 04-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

i think it's about even, Lakers minus Artest, but Bynum more than makes up for it. I'd say OKC, inexperience of Westbrook on a big stage, can lead to Marbury like breakdowns. You know how Perkins and Harden love riling you up in an attempt to get techs. Youth, they'll be all jacked up at the beginning of the game, then mental breakdowns at the end. Plus OKC is not really a media market of the world...notice jersey sales.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

I think we canĀ“t beat neither of those.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
i think it's about even, Lakers minus Artest, but Bynum more than makes up for it. I'd say OKC, inexperience of Westbrook on a big stage, can lead to Marbury like breakdowns. You know how Perkins and Harden love riling you up in an attempt to get techs. Youth, they'll be all jacked up at the beginning of the game, then mental breakdowns at the end. Plus OKC is not really a media market of the world...notice jersey sales.
+ The Lakers got this Sessions guy !!!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
JET41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
+ The Lakers got this Sessions guy !!!
I'm actually not really worried about him. lol
If Shawn Marion plays great defense against Kobe Bryant.
Dallas Mavericks are great offensively.
Jason Terry is the JET of last year's playoff.
Dirk Nowitzki is that Finals MVP.
We get great contribution from Rodrigue Beabios and Brandon Wright.

I actually think we would be fine....

Roddy could be the Barea of last year's Playoffs.
Brandon Wright just needs to be a great defender on both ends of the floor.
Vince Carter needs to hit those three's like Deshawn Stevenson.... but I'll say he just needs to be consistent and be that spark off the bench or starting lineup.

When I watch the Mavs games these days, the main problem seems to be the offensive to me....

I do think either team will be a tough matchup though.... but I expect Mavs to fight hard since they are the champs. Especially Dirk, Terry, Marion and Kidd. Brandon Haywood need to do something else well, it's like he's been non-existent for the season.
Also of course Delonte West has to be his consistent self
Old 04-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET41 View Post
I'm actually not really worried about him. lol
If Shawn Marion plays great defense against Kobe Bryant.
Dallas Mavericks are great offensively.
Jason Terry is the JET of last year's playoff.
Dirk Nowitzki is that Finals MVP.
We get great contribution from Rodrigue Beabios and Brandon Wright.

I actually think we would be fine....
I predict exactly 2 of those things happening.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Thunder.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

I have explained my rationale for choosing Lakers elsewhere, but again - if the goal is to make a deep playoff run, we're going to have to face both of these teams anyway. We might as well face LA not at full strength, then go at OKC. I like our odds against LA without Ron a whole lot better.

Also, I think people are sleeping on OKC. I can't see us shutting down Westbrook like we did last year, Harden and Ibaka are both improved, and they have the homecourt. I still think we can beat them, but that's a really really good team and their record and point differential reflect it.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
I have explained my rationale for choosing Lakers elsewhere, but again - if the goal is to make a deep playoff run, we're going to have to face both of these teams anyway. We might as well face LA not at full strength, then go at OKC. I like our odds against LA without Ron a whole lot better.
This 100%.

If you have to face both teams anyway, then get the Lakers while the gettin's as good as it's gonna get...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Give me the dude playing the dude disguised as a point guard!

Quote:
Also, I think people are sleeping on OKC.
What do you mean 'you people'? Huh?!?

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 04-26-2012 at 05:12 PM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Give me the dude playing the dude disguised as a point guard!
Funny and true -- Hah

I picked Thunder, but its a close call. LA has the player that hurts us most of all teams -- Bynum.

Artest hurts and helps about the same.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
4Dirk1Nowitzki

4Dirk1Nowitzki is a jewel in the rough4Dirk1Nowitzki is a jewel in the rough4Dirk1Nowitzki is a jewel in the rough

Thunder don't want to face us, Lakers wouldn't mind facing us, Thunder...
Old 04-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
if the goal is to make a deep playoff run, we're going to have to face both of these teams anyway.
I do not buy this logic.

We are not necessarily going to face both of these teams "anyway".

And even if LAL beats DEN, maybe it will be a long 7 games series, with suspensions (remember PHX, remember Bynum) or -minor- injuries... who knows. DEN is a solid and physical (altitude) matchup.

Last edited by markus1234; 04-26-2012 at 06:39 PM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

I just don't know which opponent suits the Mavs better for a deep playoff run.

I tend to think the Lakers minus Artest are, although a bad match-up, a slightly less formidable first-round opponent, as Kobe could just shoot too much, leading to them becoming, if they're not already, a dysfunctional bunch over this phenomenon. OtoH between Kobe, Pau, Bynum and maybe even Sessions (I've got the impression he has fallen off a bit lately, but not sure if the numbers back that up) they have 3-4 guys on the court with the potential to be our downfall in any given game.

But we'd have to go all out tonight and hope Denver loses, whereas accepting OKC as our opponent gives RC opportunity to rest everybody (aside from J.Kidd, who's sitting either way) as he sees need, and if we're resting for them, that could give us even more of an mental edge. OKC's youth, speed and athleticism, along with their propensity to get calls and to the line, is plain scary though.

Coaching and late-game-execution, if we finally get it together, could be what lifts us into the second round, and I'm not sure that it's a given that we'll have to play the other one of these two, if we get there. That's why I think a lot hinges also on the question who would be the better opponent for the Nuggets (1:3 against both OKC and LAL). Could they outscore OKC 4 times in 7 games? How's Javale doing against Bynum? Can the Lakers contain Lawson? I just don't know. I do know, however, that we can beat either team, so bring 'em on and Go Mavs!

[Another thing to keep in mind during tonights scoreboard-watching is our draft-position, as we could end the season tied with Utah, Philly and NY, but I don't even know if the MBT intends to keep this years draft choice.]
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #17
JET41

Quote:
I predict exactly 2 of those things happening.
Wait what 2, you predict happening? lol
Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #18
mav4ever

mav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to all

Quote:
Brandon Wright just needs to be a great defender on both ends of the floor.
thats no fair when we are on offense. it would be 4 on 6
Old 04-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
TVI

TVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to all

OKC. They haven't proved they know how to win in the post season. The Lakers? 'Nuff said.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #20
adonis
Golden Member

adonis is infamous around these parts

OKC still doesn't know how to close ball games. We can beat them if we at least make every single game close. Our loss of Chandler would not look as bad against them than against LA.

Last edited by adonis; 04-26-2012 at 08:39 PM.
adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #21
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Denver is kicking the sh!t out of Minnesota - Mavs don't get to choose their own destiny...

BRING ON THE THUNDER!!! (and the #17 overall draft pick!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-26-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #22
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavErika View Post
I just don't know which opponent suits the Mavs better for a deep playoff run.

I tend to think the Lakers minus Artest are, although a bad match-up, a slightly less formidable first-round opponent, as Kobe could just shoot too much, leading to them becoming, if they're not already, a dysfunctional bunch over this phenomenon. OtoH between Kobe, Pau, Bynum and maybe even Sessions (I've got the impression he has fallen off a bit lately, but not sure if the numbers back that up) they have 3-4 guys on the court with the potential to be our downfall in any given game.

But we'd have to go all out tonight and hope Denver loses, whereas accepting OKC as our opponent gives RC opportunity to rest everybody (aside from J.Kidd, who's sitting either way) as he sees need, and if we're resting for them, that could give us even more of an mental edge. OKC's youth, speed and athleticism, along with their propensity to get calls and to the line, is plain scary though.

Coaching and late-game-execution, if we finally get it together, could be what lifts us into the second round, and I'm not sure that it's a given that we'll have to play the other one of these two, if we get there. That's why I think a lot hinges also on the question who would be the better opponent for the Nuggets (1:3 against both OKC and LAL). Could they outscore OKC 4 times in 7 games? How's Javale doing against Bynum? Can the Lakers contain Lawson? I just don't know. I do know, however, that we can beat either team, so bring 'em on and Go Mavs!

[Another thing to keep in mind during tonights scoreboard-watching is our draft-position, as we could end the season tied with Utah, Philly and NY, but I don't even know if the MBT intends to keep this years draft choice.]

I want OKC because they are a high turnover team. As a result, you are never out of the game if they get a big lead eg. blowing a 18pt lead to Lakers and the first meeting against the Mavs. They don't have a low post threat either which is always a plus. This way Wright can still be used in the series.

Keeping the Thunder off the foul line and limiting Harden will be the key to this series.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #23
Midnight Toker

Midnight Toker is infamous around these partsMidnight Toker is infamous around these partsMidnight Toker is infamous around these partsMidnight Toker is infamous around these parts

Just when teams think they have no low post presence, Ibaka comes up with 20 points, or Perkins gets 4 dunks. It isnt consistent but it will hit you if you pretend it isnt there.
Midnight Toker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #24
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Toker View Post
Just when teams think they have no low post presence, Ibaka comes up with 20 points, or Perkins gets 4 dunks. It isnt consistent but it will hit you if you pretend it isnt there.
Yea... like that ONE time he did it Fri 1/2 @ GS?!

Fart.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #25
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

I see the trolls have begun to gather.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote