Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #41
ChampsX4

ChampsX4 is on a distinguished road

I'm sure I'll get blasted for what I'm about to say and will no doubt have loads of childish comments thrown my way, but here goes...

I can understand why most Mavs fans would feel confident when it comes to the Mavs matching up with the Spurs. Let's face it, Dallas had the advantage in several mis-matches because of players like Bowen, Oberto, Thomas, Bonner, and Finley playing huge minutes. Every single one of those players were pretty much useless the last few years, and most were one dimensional players. Look at what Josh Howard did with Finley guarding him. I could of done a better job defending him than Finley did. But all that being said, the Mavs matched up well against the OLD Spurs team. The one that was old, slow, and severely beat up with injuries last year. Manu missed most of the year, Parker missed some and was exhausted at the end of the year trying to carry all the load, and Duncan played injured the entire second half of the season. I honestly didn't think SA could beat any of the West play-off teams except UTA and NO in a 7-game series. Just wasn't their year, and yet they still won 54 game and their division. (not too shabby for having a "bad" year). DAL beat them fair and square. Like Pop, just not enough firepower.

So what did they do this offseason?? Got rid of the dead weight. Out went Bowen, Oberto, and Thomas, in came Jefferson. RJ is a HUGE upgrade because he can play both offense and defense. Not a defensive stopper by any means, but he's athletic and quick enough to stay with all the other athletes out there. Then they got McDyess. Now while he is up there in age, he still brings someone who can score, rebound, and defend. That's more than Oberto and Thomas could ever do. They also drafted Dejuan Blair, who looked pretty good in summer league, and is one of the best rebounders from this year's draft. They also have Mahinmi, a 6'11 C who's young and athletic. Again, he can bring alot more than Oberto or Thomas.

Another move they made that went practically unnoticed is the signing of Marcus Haislip. This guy is super athletic, and can step back and shoot 3's. He was pretty good in Europe, and while I don't expect him to be a star or anything, I do think he will be a good quality contributor. He's quick and athletic, and can bring a heck of alot more than Bonner ever dreamed of. Bonner and Finley may still be on this team (at least until they get traded), but I strongly doubt either of them sees much playing time this season with the depth the team has, unless it involves garbage time in blow-outs.

So while it is true DAL matched up well agaisnt SA in the past, this is definitely NOT the same Spurs team as before. This one will be more versatile, athletic, and quicker. They also won't go through these 5-6 minute droughts where they won't be able to score a point like in the past. Does it make them that much better than DAL?? I don't necessarily think so because they also made moves such as getting Marion. But it also means DAL won't be dominating SA like some of you have been talking about.

Ok, open the floodgates and let the insults fly. I know not everyone on here acts like a 10 year old, and some can actually discuss such topics like civilized adults. and then there's those that can't.
ChampsX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #42
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

We do beat the Spurs in the depth department though, by far. Just something to think about.

I'm not one of those people that think we'd dominate them. But out of 7, I'd take the Mavs with no hesitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #43
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampsX4 View Post
Ok, open the floodgates and let the insults fly. I know not everyone on here acts like a 10 year old, and some can actually discuss such topics like civilized adults. and then there's those that can't.
Actually, I think you're going to get a lot of ass-kissing from Mav fans that overuse the word "homer". Which would be ironic, since you're a Spurs fan making hypothetical arguments about untested players.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #44
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas consistently beats SA because of Dirk. SA has never had, and still does not have, someone who can guard him consistently one on one.

I'm not saying other Mavs players haven't stepped up, but the reason the Mavs beat the Spurs is because the Spurs just can't handle Dirk. Nothing the Spurs have done this offseason will change that. A couple years ago, we had to listen to Spurs fans crow for an entire season about how Francisco freaking Elson was some sort of Dirk-stopper. It seems almost every year, the Spurs think they've finally made the move that will slow down the German. Every year, they've been wrong.

Are the Spurs better than they were last year? Absolutely. Do the Mavs still present a tremendous match up problem for them? Absolutely.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #45
ChampsX4

Quote:
We do beat the Spurs in the depth department though, by far. Just something to think about.

I'm not one of those people that think we'd dominate them. But out of 7, I'd take the Mavs with no hesitation.
Ok, how do they beat them in depth by far? I see the Spurs starting TP, Mason, RJ, TD, and Mahinmi. 2nd unit is Hill, Manu, Haislip, McDyess, Blair. That still leaves Finley and Bonner, who were both starters last year (albeit not good ones) and Ratliff. I don't see how DAL is THAT much deeper than SA?

And if you think Gooden is gonna be all that and a bag of chips, do realize that Pop chose to play Bonner over Gooden in Game 5, and didn't play Gooden AT ALL. I think someone posted in one of the threads that if Pop can find a way to use you, you got problems. After all, he does have a great coaching career, 4 rings, and 100 playoff wins to his resume. So if your depth relies on Gooden and Thomas, guess you're entitled to your opinion.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #46
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Not very many people on here have been talking about "dominating" the Spurs this coming year. In fact, I am hard pressed to remember anyone saying such a thing.. if it was mavs777 or dmack then.. well just ignore them.

I think most of us on here understand the Spurs got waay better this offseason. Most around the league believe they won they summer so far (though Toronto looks to have taken that title IMO). But, I think the Mavs still have a move or two up their sleeves come playoffs 2010. Right now I rank the Mavs below the Spurs in terms of regular season record, but I will still be confident playing them in the playoffs even with our current lineup. With a quality center addition I wouldn't worry at all.

Last edited by Robillion; 07-30-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #47
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

You can say that the Spurs have a better bench that the Mavs with a straight face?

I'm assuming you have Manu on the bench due to injury issues?

The Mavs have JJB, Roddy Beaubois, Terry, Ross, Thomas, Gooden, Hollins and Singleton (Pending FA moves) and most likely, they're going to pick someone up with the BAE (Been hearing McCants).

Quote:
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #48
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Hold up, guys. With their new acquisition of Devean George, the Warriors are clearly ready to contend with the best in the West.
iella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #49
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by iella View Post
Hold up, guys. With their new acquisition of Devean George, the Warriors are clearly ready to contend with the best in the West.
Holy sh*t, he brings championship swagger!

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #50
ChampsX4

1) I agree the Spurs don't have an answer for Dirk. But for that matter, what team does? At the same time, you could say that the Mavs don't have an answer for a healthy Duncan. Teams usually don't have an answer for guys like Dirk, TD, Kobe, ect.

2) I NEVER said that SA had a better bench that DAL, and I also never denied that DAL has a deep bench. I was simply pointing out that SA is also pretty deep, but I didn't see how DAL's bench was "BY FAR DEEPER" than SA's as you put it. That's it. I think both teams are very deep and both will be contenders with the moves they have made in the off-season.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #51
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1) I agree the Spurs don't have an answer for Dirk. But for that matter, what team does? At the same time, you could say that the Mavs don't have an answer for a healthy Duncan. Teams usually don't have an answer for guys like Dirk, TD, Kobe, ect.
The Mavs' capacity to deal with Duncan without completely altering their normal gameplan far exceeds the Spurs' capacity to do the same with Dirk. As interesting as it was to see Pop throwing elbow triple-teams at Dirk and having guys like Bonner guard him toward the top of the key, rather than positioning between him and the basket, it very clearly revealed how much of a problem he causes. Also, I feel I don't need to point out the problem with referring to a "healthy Duncan."

The Spurs haven't done anything to address that major deficiency. The Mavs, meanwhile, brought in a guy who has had some very good success guarding Parker in stints, who since 2007 has been the most problematic Spurs player for the Mavs. As much as the Spurs have improved this offseason, I'm not convinced at all that they've done much to rectify their deficiencies against the Mavs' roster. If things stand pat, I think we will continue to see that the Mavs play the Spurs better than anyone else in the league.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #52
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
The Spurs haven't done anything to address that major deficiency. The Mavs, meanwhile, brought in a guy who has had some very good success guarding Parker in stints, who since 2007 has been the most problematic Spurs player for the Mavs. As much as the Spurs have improved this offseason, I'm not convinced at all that they've done much to rectify their deficiencies against the Mavs' roster. If things stand pat, I think we will continue to see that the Mavs play the Spurs better than anyone else in the league.
Who is this? The reason I ask is because the only reason I don't put much stock into the Spurs being Manu-less is because I'd say that Tony Parker's absolute slaughterhouse against the Mavs in the paint made up for it. I mean c'mon, Parker might as well have started charging rent to the Mavs for his paint. He averaged 28.6 PPG against us in that series, and that's not exactly the easiest thing in the world.

Still, I think that the Spurs are ahead of the Lakers as it stands right now and that they'll actually be the team to beat next season. I hate saying that because I hate the Spurs, but again.. give respect where it's due.
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #53
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Mavs, meanwhile, brought in a guy who has had some very good success guarding Parker in stints, who since 2007 has been the most problematic Spurs player for the Mavs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Credible View Post
Who is this? The reason I ask is because the only reason I don't put much stock into the Spurs being Manu-less is because I'd say that Tony Parker's absolute slaughterhouse against the Mavs in the paint made up for it. I mean c'mon, Parker might as well have started charging rent to the Mavs for his paint. He averaged 28.6 PPG against us in that series, and that's not exactly the easiest thing in the world.

Still, I think that the Spurs are ahead of the Lakers as it stands right now and that they'll actually be the team to beat next season. I hate saying that because I hate the Spurs, but again.. give respect where it's due.
Shawn Marion was hired to kill Tony Parker...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-30-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #54
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Ah, I wasn't aware that he was quick enough to defend Parker. For a second there I thought that he was talking about Ross, to which I was going to demand proof (not because I didn't believe it, rather because I'd like to see it).
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #55
ChampsX4

Is this the same Shawn Marion who always seemed to "disappear" every time the Spurs played the Suns a few years ago?? If you think he's gonna slow down Parker, suit yourself.

I don't deny the Mavs had their advantages over the Spurs the last few years. I do think they did a decent job on Dirk the first few games of this year's playoffs, but Finley couldn't do a thing against Howard. Howard and Bass were the reason they won Game 1. No answer whatsoever for those 2, and that was because our we had useless bigs like Bonner, Oberto, and Thomas, and slow wing players like Finley and Bowen. There was no way they were gonna win a play-off series against ANYBODY with those guys.

I don't know the exact numbers (and I will definitely put some research into it) but I'd be curious to know what the head-to-head record is between these 2 teams. Always seems that the regular season series is tied 2-2 almost every year. As many times as the Mavs have won in SA, The Spurs have also won alot of games at the AAC. Look back at the 06 playoffs, what I believe to be one of the greatest playoff series ever. That series went 7 games, several games went to OT, and either team could have won. If Manu doesn't commit that dumb foul, who knows what happens? These 2 teams have a great rivalry and the games are always close. Look at the scores from the last 5 years or so. It's usually single digits between these 2.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #56
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tim Thomas was hired to shove his way through a group huddle of opponents on his way to the free throw line. (Does anyone else remember this?)
Old 07-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #57
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
but Finley couldn't do a thing against Howard. Howard and Bass were the reason they won Game 1.
There was this one really weird play in Game 1, when Josh Howard went up for a shot, but instead he passed the ball to Dampier. Then Damp actually caught the ball and managed to make the lay-in.

I mean, if you can't stop THAT...
Old 07-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #58
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is this the same Shawn Marion who always seemed to "disappear" every time the Spurs played the Suns a few years ago??
How does someone "disappear" on defense when they're playing for D'Antoni's Suns?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-30-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #59
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Odom is staying with L.A
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #60
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How does someone "disappear" on defense when they're playing for D'Antoni's Suns?
I guess you could cherry-pick the other basket the whole time...

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #61
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Odom is staying with L.A
Doesn't matter we still have the better bench and once we get a decent center it's game on.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #62
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan4ever View Post
Doesn't matter we still have the better bench and once we get a decent center it's game on.
Hopefully
Old 07-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #63
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

No one has an answer for Dirk so I don't get the argument that the Spurs somehow failed this off season because they didn't get someone who could.

I know I'd feel better with players like McDyess, Haislip, Mahinmi, and maybe even Blair guarding Dirk than Bonner, Thomas, and Oberto trying. If nothing else at least those guys have height and mobility out on the permeter that the others didn't.

Hell, even if Pop elected to try Jefferson (like he did with Finley, Bowen, and Udoka) on him the Spurs have more effective big men guarding the rim than they did before. Instead of just Duncan waiting for him they now have those other bigs I mentioned plus Ratliff.

But I don't see Jefferson being used on Dirk when he can guard Howard now instead of Finley. That's such a huge upgrade. He can play both ends of the floor and provides more than just 3 point shooting like Finley did.

The Spurs needed to get younger and more athletic. They also needed to find a permeter player on the wing who could score and defend and find some bigs who could help Duncan inside with banging and rebounding. I think they achieved all of those things and could perhaps still have a move or two still left.

Hill has proven himself and made Pop come out and say he made a mistake by not playing him more last season.

It's yet to be seen how that translates to the floor but with a coach like Pop and a healthy big 3 (another big question mark) I think they'll make it work.

Which roster would you rather go with?

Bonner, Thomas, Oberto
Duncan, Bonner, Thomas
Finley, Bowen, Williams
Mason, Ginobli, Hill, Hairston
Parker, Mason, Hill

or

McDyess, Mahinmi, Ratliff
Duncan, Blair, Haislip, Bonner
Jefferson, Finley, Williams
Mason, Ginobli, Hairston
Parker, Hill
Old 07-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #64
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

We went 2-2 against the Spurs in the regular season last year. With both teams upgrades should we expect the same this year or will one team be more dominate this year?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #65
LonghornDub

Quote:
Is this the same Shawn Marion who always seemed to "disappear" every time the Spurs played the Suns a few years ago?? If you think he's gonna slow down Parker, suit yourself.

I don't deny the Mavs had their advantages over the Spurs the last few years. I do think they did a decent job on Dirk the first few games of this year's playoffs, but Finley couldn't do a thing against Howard. Howard and Bass were the reason they won Game 1. No answer whatsoever for those 2, and that was because our we had useless bigs like Bonner, Oberto, and Thomas, and slow wing players like Finley and Bowen. There was no way they were gonna win a play-off series against ANYBODY with those guys.

I don't know the exact numbers (and I will definitely put some research into it) but I'd be curious to know what the head-to-head record is between these 2 teams. Always seems that the regular season series is tied 2-2 almost every year. As many times as the Mavs have won in SA, The Spurs have also won alot of games at the AAC. Look back at the 06 playoffs, what I believe to be one of the greatest playoff series ever. That series went 7 games, several games went to OT, and either team could have won. If Manu doesn't commit that dumb foul, who knows what happens? These 2 teams have a great rivalry and the games are always close. Look at the scores from the last 5 years or so. It's usually single digits between these 2.
Disappear? Yeah, he "disappeared" in 2007 right around the same time David Stern suspended the Suns' best player for the pivotal 5th game. Up until that point, including the crucial Game 4 in SA, Marion had enjoyed tremendous success guarding Parker in stints. If you mean to say he disappeared by not scoring a lot of points, I don't believe that was what we were talking about.

Then of course, the next year rolls around and Marion is gone. What happens? Parker drops 40 some odd points in Phoenix in game 3 and essentially ends the series.

Also, let me just dispel a common misperception for about the 100th time: that 2006 series, to the extent it "almost" went to the Spurs in 7 games, also "almost" went to the Mavs in 5, when Dirk rushed an easy putback that would have ended the series, and "almost" went to the Mavs in 6, when the Mavs' (then) second-best player was suspended for a game. If you want to talk about near-misses, that series was far, far closer to being Mavs in 5 than it was to Spurs in 7 (especially given that the Mavs ultimately whooped the Spurs' asses for the entirety of that overtime period).

As for your comments about this year's playoffs, you do understand that guys like Bass and Howard were ultimately put into a position to beat the Spurs because the Spurs were forced to abandoned their decade-long defensive philosophy of man-up defense on the perimeter with Duncan anchoring the middle, right? We've all watched the Spurs long enough to know that whacky triple teams and odd defensive positioning are not their MO. The Spurs were forced to do something completely different than what they normally do because Dirk eats them for breakfast otherwise. That's why you have guys like Howard beating up on guys like Finley. And that hasn't changed.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #66
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley View Post
No one has an answer for Dirk so I don't get the argument that the Spurs somehow failed this off season because they didn't get someone who can.
Plenty of teams find ways to effectively mitigate Dirk, at least in stretches. T-Mac did it in 2005. Haslem did it in 2006. S-Jax did it in 2007.

The Spurs, meanwhile, have nothing, short of throwing 4 defenders at him.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #67
ChampsX4

Quote:
Disappear? Yeah, he "disappeared" in 2007 right around the same time David Stern suspended the Suns' best player for the pivotal 5th game. Up until that point, including the crucial Game 4 in SA, Marion had enjoyed tremendous success guarding Parker in stints. If you mean to say he disappeared by not scoring a lot of points, I don't believe that was what we were talking about.

Then of course, the next year rolls around and Marion is gone. What happens? Parker drops 40 some odd points in Phoenix in game 3 and essentially ends the series.

Also, let me just dispel a common misperception for about the 100th time: that 2006 series, to the extent it "almost" went to the Spurs in 7 games, also "almost" went to the Mavs in 5, when Dirk rushed an easy putback that would have ended the series, and "almost" went to the Mavs in 6, when the Mavs' (then) second-best player was suspended for a game. If you want to talk about near-misses, that series was far, far closer to being Mavs in 5 than it was to Spurs in 7 (especially given that the Mavs ultimately whooped the Spurs' asses for the entirety of that overtime period).

As for your comments about this year's playoffs, you do understand that guys like Bass and Howard were ultimately put into a position to beat the Spurs because the Spurs were forced to abandoned their decade-long defensive philosophy of man-up defense on the perimeter with Duncan anchoring the middle, right? We've all watched the Spurs long enough to know that whacky triple teams and odd defensive positioning are not their MO. The Spurs were forced to do something completely different than what they normally do because Dirk eats them for breakfast otherwise. That's why you have guys like Howard beating up on guys like Finley. And that hasn't changed.
You know, you're absolutely right. I stand corrected. The Spurs should just bow down to the superiority of the Mavs Dynasty. Such an amazing franchise that has won...what...2 division titles, and 1 Western Conference championship. If only the Spurs could just catch a glimpse of such success. Real shame.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #68
ChampsX4

Quote:
This again supports what I said about players like Bonner, Finley, Bowen, Oberto, and Thomas. They were useless, to the point of making Pop have to change his entire defensive game plan because these guys just couldn't cut it. Just as you so adequately pointed out. And again, I don't think the roster they have just assembled will have to resort to triple teams like they were forced to last year. Will they shut doen Dirk? Heck no. But they can go back to playing man defense, and not depend heavily on a bunch of has-beens or never-was like the players I mentioned above.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #69
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Was checking out the Spurs Talk boards and this Spurs fan said he sees us as the dark horse to win it all. I continued read the post and could not help but laugh at the Spurs and Lakers fans who think Portland has a better shot then we do.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:44 PM   #70
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan4ever View Post
Was checking out the Spurs Talk boards and this Spurs fan said he sees us as the dark horse to win it all. I continued read the post and could not help but laugh at the Spurs and Lakers fans who think Portland has a better shot then we do.
why???????????

I don't waste my time on douche canoes
Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 PM   #71
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Plenty of teams find ways to effectively mitigate Dirk, at least in stretches. T-Mac did it in 2005. Haslem did it in 2006. S-Jax did it in 2007.

The Spurs, meanwhile, have nothing, short of throwing 4 defenders at him.
That's such a small sampling though and it's not like they're exactly available.

We don't know whether Haislip, Mahinmi, or Blair could be effective on Dirk yet. But they can't be any worse than Oberto, Bonner, and Thomas who were all short and slow out on the perimeter.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:57 AM   #72
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

I've never heard of Haislip, Hairston, Mahinmi, or Blair, and I'm not going to give a rat's ass until they make their presence known on the court.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:05 AM   #73
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I guarentee one of these teams walks away with the trophy at the end of the season.

Lakers
Celtics
Cavs
Spurs
Mavs
Magic

(bold statement, huh) I put them in order of likelyhood that I think has the best chance. Although I pretty much tie us with the Spurs I put them above us since we haven't yet proven we can win it all and they have 4 times being the only reason. With a center upgrade such as Kaman and Camby I'll put us above the Spurs and the Cavs. I don't think this is fanboyish at all I think it's reasonable. I can't even consider any other team being a true contender (maybe the Nuggets?)

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 07-31-2009 at 04:04 PM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:53 AM   #74
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Quote:
why???????????

Complete and total boredom.

I was told on another message board that the Lakers will repeat because no one can beat them. This was obviously a young punk because even after I pointed out both Dallas and SA have made major upgrades this summer he comes back with who can beat LA once more.

Last edited by Mavsfan4ever; 07-31-2009 at 05:38 AM.
Mavsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #75
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

wow, so the acquisition of shawn marion makes the mavs better than the spurs?
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:01 AM   #76
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

This is going to be the most overrated Spurs team in pretty much ever.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #77
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Well it looks to me that all good teams lose to crappy ones occasionally. The Lakers somehow did manage to lose to Charlotte in both meetings last year.
They don't lose to them by 20 though. It seemed like that happened one too many times last season.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #78
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoinewalker View Post
wow, so the acquisition of shawn marion makes the mavs better than the spurs?
Yea that's the mind boggling thing. I guess people felt this team was just a Shawn Marion away from being champions last season. I sure as hell hope so anyway.

Quote:
Who's hyping them up lol? They contend every year and have what? 4 or 5 rings? They have the same core intact so that alone brings their name up in contender talks.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #79
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
You're forgetting to include their four (4) championships. That obviously makes them the most underrated group of individuals in the history of the entire world.

Err........

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 08-03-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Well I'll be...
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #80
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
why???????????

I'm not sure what a douche canoe is, but its a fun phrase to say out loud.

Haha, you are all saying douche canoe right now.

Tags
thread diarrhea