Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
The hit and run in the first was a weird decision, but wanting a sacrifice in the first inning is just as weird, imo. I'm not interested in giving away an out in the first inning.

I'm also fine with moving Nellie in the order, although I'm not a huge fan of Napoli being the one to move down. Now our best hitter over the course of the season is hitting seventh. And hitting seventh cost him an at bat in a one run game. I'm not a fan of that. But moving Nellie, in and of itself, I have no problem with. Without looking at the stats, I'm pretty sure cleanup is the only position in the lineup where Nellie supposedly stops hitting due to the pressure, or whatever.
Fair enough, you agree with primarily everything Wash did. I don't. On to game 2.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male30Dan View Post
Fair enough, you agree with primarily everything Wash did. I don't. On to game 2.
Oh, I wouldn't characterize that way. Hitting German seems awfully stupid, and pitching around Punto in the sixth really bothers me.

And the lineup bothers me, and will continue to bother me. Having Elvis hit second is already a bad idea and has been all year. Now with Josh so hurt is really weakens our middle of the order.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Oh, I wouldn't characterize that way. Hitting German seems awfully stupid, and pitching around Punto in the sixth really bothers me.

And the lineup bothers me, and will continue to bother me. Having Elvis hit second is already a bad idea and has been all year. Now with Josh so hurt is really weakens our middle of the order.
Eh, Punto had a couple of close pitches he could have swung at and I am not so sure that he pitched around him considering Washington took him out after that. His final pitch sure seemed like he was trying to get a strike called. Body language indicated as much too. Possible that his inability to consistently throw the ball where he wants to coupled with his nibbling style just created a walk. Possible that he did pitch around him too - but not completely sure I know which took place given his performance up to that point, attitude after, and Washington's decision.

Even if he did, considering it would have been a strategy play to get Carpenter out of the game (the guy that had pretty well shut us down minus one huge Napoli swing), I wouldn't have made that a fundamental mistake by Ron at the level I felt the other mistakes were, especially considering Punto had a hit previously and the eventual swinger, while having great success in pinch hit scenarios, was put in a very tough situation.

Agree though that having Elvis and Josh moved down in the lineup would be wise in theory, of course there is some truth to the "if it ain't broke..." thought process and messing with the confidence of players with a single series left. Even if I did do that, I wouldn't have touched Cruz. Dude is just fragile in my opinion with regard to his hitting spot. Would honestly not be surprised to see him not hit a single HR this series due to that change. Would obviously be disappointed, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Hopefully last night was a series of poor decisions and bad breaks and it will even out tonight with the best team winning and taking back home field advantage.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 10-20-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote