Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-11-2003, 09:35 AM   #41
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Shockey calls Parcells 'homo' ...

Brass or papier-maché, punk?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2003, 12:31 AM   #42
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

can't believe everyone let this go.....
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 08:33 AM   #43
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Which way would you like to see this head?
Old 11-12-2003, 09:10 AM   #44
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Shockey calls Parcells 'homo' ...

Did Parcells really say this? I haven't seen it anywhere else. Can't believe the Post would let it go.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:50 AM   #45
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

LOL. Wouldn't be surprised if Shockey has an aneurism over this. That could be fatal in a pea sized brain.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:44 PM   #46
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: bogey
Parcells Calls Shockey a Fragile Homo
by Ima Goofus
EPSN the Magazine
Monday, November 10, 2003
Updated, November 10, 2003 19:52:03

Amidst the rumors that New York Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey may be lost for the season, coach Jim Fassel confirmed that he will be without the controversial player for six to eight weeks. An MRI was performed on Shockey who was advised not to play for at least two months according to team sources. Fassel called the loss, "unfortunate and devastating" adding that players may need to be signed this week to cover for this and other injuries.

Shockey, who earlier referred to new Dallas Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells as a "homo" has been nothing short of a lightning rod during his short tenure in New York. When advised of the news Sunday evening on Shockey, Parcells was asked if he thought Shockeys loss could tip the scales towards his Cowboys team. An unusually coy Parcells only half jokingly replied that the Cowboys "have to be favored at this point anyways. We are in first right?" Parcells then deflected most of the questions regarding the earlier "homo" reference, but did state, "I could be a homo in his eyes I guess, but at least I am not a fragile homo" throwing a not so thinly veiled volley back to New York amid shocked but robust laughter by reporters.

Although likely lost for the year, look for Shockey to use the latest volley to fire up his teammates. Look for the fued to heat up next year if Shockey can regain his tough edge and dominating field presence. But only if he can show he isn't fragile.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
There's something amiss....EPSN the Magazine can't be selling many copies. And the author isn't exactly a pulitzer kind of person. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2003, 12:14 AM   #47
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

ok

I didn't even look at the writer, just read the quote.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:27 AM   #48
bogey
Banned

Sorry....I was feeling a little saucy the other night. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2003, 01:45 AM   #49
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: bogey
Sorry....I was feeling a little saucy the other night. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Bogey just put your real name on this and send it in and I'll bet you ESPN will publish it. Or you could just send it in to one of the NY papers as is, they'll apparently publish anything. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2003, 09:07 AM   #50
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha. good one bogey. this is about as good as that KG article about finley. good stuff.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:27 AM   #51
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Bastard.

I remember thinking it kind of strange that Bill's comments weren't being reported elsewhere.

Even if he didn't say it for attribution, you KNOW he thought it.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:13 AM   #52
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Shockey Flaming.......(out).

Giants' Shockey Unhappy With Diminished Role
By LYNN ZINSER

Published: September 23, 2004

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J., Sept. 22 - They come together at Giants Stadium, an army of fans enthralled by the excitement that tight end Jeremy Shockey brought with him to the Giants two seasons ago. They flock to the games, creating a sea of No. 80 jerseys that overwhelms the allegiance to any other Giant.

According to NFL Properties, Shockey's jersey ranks 10th in the league in sales. For a time last year, it was No. 1.

Every time Shockey has lined up for the fans in his No. 80, he has tried to be their Superman: making huge catches, bowling over tacklers and jumping to celebrate with his signature no-holds-barred outburst.

But for the first two games under a new coach, Tom Coughlin, Superman has been grounded.

It is not just that Shockey has seven less-than-memorable receptions for 75 yards in two games, plus several notable dropped passes. It is that he has been transformed by Coughlin's system into a cog in a play-the-percentages offense instead of the potential game breaker and emotional sparkplug he was for most of two seasons.

The change has been an adjustment for Shockey as well as for the fans waiting to watch him catch fire.

"I'm not used to being at fullback, blocking in the backfield," Shockey said Wednesday. "I understand why they do it. I understand it helps the quarterback out and I understand it helps the opposite side because they can't blitz because I'm moving everywhere.

"I'm not playing full speed because I'm thinking too much."

What is clear after two games is that this issue could linger. Shockey said he was recovered from the foot and hamstring injuries that hampered him in the preseason. And there has been no conflict between the old-school Coughlin and the flamboyant Shockey. The clash is one of philosophies.

Shockey thrived under Coach Jim Fassel, catching 74 passes in 15 games as a rookie and 48 passes in nine games in 2003 before a knee injury ended his season. Fassel liked to use Shockey to scare defensive coordinators who knew that Shockey could not be reliably covered by a linebacker and that defensive backs stood little chance of tackling him.

He was a 6-foot-5, 252-pound offensive weapon.

Fassel would split him out wide, send him deep, turn him into the offense's wild card. In 2002, Fassel even demoted his offensive coordinator, Sean Payton, largely because Payton was not utilizing Shockey enough. Turned loose when Fassel called the plays, Shockey made the Pro Bowl in each of his first two seasons, the first Giant to do that since Lawrence Taylor in 1981 and '82.

Coughlin's ideas about using his tight end are far more conservative.

"You can create an awful lot of formations and variety and cause an awful lot of solid shift packages because of what the tight ends can do and their role of versatility as a receiver and as a blocker," Coughlin said. "In addition to short-yardage and goal-line and the three-tight-end attack that you see sometimes on first down, but other times on short yardage, in addition to that you have the 'move' responsibility. Even if it is a three-wide package, the tight end can be used in a change of strength and also the lead blocker."

So far, Coughlin has been using Shockey largely as a blocker. He is often moving around the formation before the snap, stopping in the backfield at fullback or taking his traditional spot next to a tackle, depending on what the defense shows.

It is a new world for Shockey, and not a happy one.

"Moving and trying to trick people and that tomfoolery is not me," Shockey said. "I just want to line up and try to take 'em. If I can't win, I can't win. It's a different offense and I'll get comfortable with it. I'm not comfortable now."

Shockey did not make his points Wednesday in a petulant screech. In fact, Shockey and Coughlin have gotten along remarkably well. At every opportunity, Coughlin praises Shockey's work ethic and overall diligence. Shockey promises to try to learn what Coughlin wants as best he can.

That does not mean he agrees with it.

"I'm not having as much fun as I've had in the past," Shockey said, his sober tone revealing his disappointment as much as his words. "I don't know what it is. I can't get in a rhythm right now like I have been in the past. Hopefully that will change."

He said the passes he had dropped in the first two games stemmed from his lack of command of his role. But that was when he had gotten noticed. After one drop against Washington last Sunday, Shockey slapped the sides of his helmet and grimaced.

"I'm really hard on myself," Shockey said. "I get pretty discouraged at times in a game. You just keep going. I can't do anything to change what's happened in the past or what's going to happen. I can't call the plays. I just have to keep fighting through it."

What he is fighting through is the realization that his role as a primary playmaker may be gone. Coughlin may be his Kryptonite.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:00 AM   #53
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't understand why he isn't used more honestly, who is going to be the Giant's recieving threat? Amani Toomer? David Tyree? Tim Carter? Ike Hilliard? come on now..

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 06:47 AM   #54
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
I still don't understand why he isn't used more honestly, who is going to be the Giant's recieving threat? Amani Toomer? David Tyree? Tim Carter? Ike Hilliard? come on now..
I wouldn't discount the contributions that Toomer and Hilliard have made to the Giants, But I would exactly call them stars either. Nonetheless Shockey should be getting more balls thrown his way even though he's an asshole
Old 09-24-2004, 09:27 AM   #55
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

I've barely watched the Giants a quarter this year, and I've already seen Shockey drop two balls thrown right to him, that would've been siginficant plays

Is he blaming that on Coughlin too?

IMO, he should shut up and catch what's thrown to him, before he starts whining about underutilization.

I reiterate: He has physical talent, but he has a high-ridin' front-runner's attitude, and an easily distracted attention span. I think chances are very good that he won't live up to his physical abilities.