Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-08-2002, 08:52 PM   #1
China

China is on a distinguished road

<< of course..however, that takes time. and that's something the mavs haven't had too much of with wang.... getting here so late in the season ...it makes it more difficult for him to develop as quickly >>

Thanks!
I have a crazy proposal to make so as to make Wang stay in Dallas as long as Dallas wants him to: NATIONALIZE HIM. I MEAN GIVE HIM THE CITIZENSHIP. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2002, 09:00 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone read ANYTHING that would indicate that Wang will stay in Dallas this summer?
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 09:00 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

bad post!
Old 02-08-2002, 09:00 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

bad post!
Old 02-08-2002, 09:09 PM   #5
China

I will keep you guys updated of his stay status. Lastest news is that whether he comes back or not is up to the sports management at Ba Yi Army. And they've not said that he should come back to play yet.

Old 02-09-2002, 02:58 AM   #6
China

I live in Los Angles, but I don't like lakers. I am a fan of Mav and Wang.

I probably have the most to say about Wang because I grew up in China and watched lots of his games before I came to this country in 1998. Wang is a very popular play in China not only because he is tall but that he can make smooth moves, spins, hooks, blocks and long-range shots.

However, in China he doesn't try that many 3 pointers as he does in Mav. I guess the coach told him to shoot more. Yet, with his height and skills, he can become a very effective player inside given more time. I know how hard it is for a new comer to get adjusted to the life here, particularly to a person like him who has never learned to speak English. Plus, to win the trust from your teammates takes time, let alone learning to handle those dirty plays?. Remember during the game against Lakers how much he wanted the ball from Nash, Finley, and they chose to shoot themselves intead of passing?

In all, Mav. is a very exciting team and will be a better team if they can trade Finley+Bradly for a real power center. Hats off to the coaching and management team for their guts to get so many overseas players in and the minutes they give
to them!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2002, 03:28 AM   #7
KEVIN_NY

KEVIN_NY is on a distinguished road

the trade is NOT a possible one because of their salary and contract. plus, who can you get in return realistically?
KEVIN_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 03:33 AM   #8
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< However, in China he doesn't try that many 3 pointers as he does in Mav. I guess the coach told him to shoot more. Yet, with his height and skills, he can become a very effective player inside given more time. >>

There's no question that Wang is shooting 3s because Nelson wants him to. Centers shooting from the outside has been a Don Nelson staple since at least Golden State and no matter how much Wang develops in the post (or Dirk for that matter) as long as Nellie is coaching this team the 7 footers will spend plenty of offensive time out on the perimeter.

I also think that at this point it is where he is most effective. I believe you when you say Wang had a good post game in Chinese competition, and we've seen flashes of that here in America. But down in the post is the area where NBA basketball tends to be most distinct from international basketball. Shooting from the perimeter works much the same in any form of basketball with some adjustment for how far out you have to be to get 3. But the NBA post tends to be much more physical (&quot;NBA is cruel&quot; was Wang's quote last year I believe) and the players playing it tend to be bigger, stronger, and tougher. As much as Wang needs to improve his English and spend a training camp with the team to improve his communication and team play, he also needs to spend some time on an NBA-level training program and put some more muscle on his frame before he will really be ready for long-term post play.

<< Remember during the game against Lakers how much he wanted the ball from Nash, Finley, and they chose to shoot themselves intead of passing? >>

That is one of the things I like about Wang--his confidence. He is *always* calling for the ball, and if his teammates don't give him the ball this possession, he's still calling for it the next. But that also means he calls for it a lot when he shouldn't get it, when Nash or Finley or Dirk has the better shot. But I also give him this, if they toss the ball to him and he can't get a good shot, he's much better than Howard about passing it back out to somebody else.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 04:42 AM   #9
China

I want Mav. to have Mutombo if possible.
Old 02-09-2002, 04:47 AM   #10
China

I agree with you on most of your points.

Yes, Wang needs to build more musles and gain more weight. But eventually, he will be more like a Dirk-type of player, which I think Nelson is trying to train him into.

Still I am expecting him to play tougher and shoot more jump shots and make a couple of dunks or hooks in the playoff.
Old 02-09-2002, 04:55 AM   #11
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Since I am not able to watch many games, has Wang dunked yet? I don't remember seeing any in the few games that I have watched.
Old 02-09-2002, 05:07 AM   #12
mavsfan2121

mavsfan2121 is on a distinguished road

<< I want Mav. to have Mutombo if possible. >>

only problem is denver offered up both mcdyess and lafrentz for mutombo and philly turned them down. and that is a better package then fin/bradley plus I think it would be bad pr in philly if they got bradley back I think almost all the fans hate him..
mavsfan2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 06:45 AM   #13
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

If you dismiss his fraudulent birth certificates, Motumbo is really 43 years old. Hey, that's an idea! Lets try to get Robert Parish out of retirement. He'll lay the smack down on them bitches.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 06:56 AM   #14
China

<< only problem is denver offered up both mcdyess and lafrentz for mutombo and philly turned them down. and that is a better package then fin/bradley plus I think it would be bad pr in philly if they got bradley back I think almost all the fans hate him.. >>

Ask Nelson to get Yao, Min over here. He is a real center player, taller, and has more muscle than Wang. I believe Mav. does need a good center and Yao will be a perfect candidate if Dallas brings him over here now. Lots of people are talking about him to be #1 pick next season.
Old 02-09-2002, 07:20 AM   #15
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

We can't get Yao, China, anymore than we could have gotten Gasol. Yao has to go into the draft before any NBA team can sign him, and he's going to be a lottery pick. The Mavs are, thankfully, nowhere near the lottery these days.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 08:06 AM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i think a big reason why the wang shoots so many 3's is because the NBA is so physical compared to pro ball in China.
wang is more comfortable from the outside right now...he needs more practice on the low blocks to gain his confidence
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 08:30 AM   #17
China

<< i think a big reason why the wang shoots so many 3's is because the NBA is so physical compared to pro ball in China.
wang is more comfortable from the outside right now...he needs more practice on the low blocks to gain his confidence
>>

Yes, you are right. But the best way to practise him is to send him inside. Don't you think so?
Old 02-09-2002, 08:37 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

of course..however, that takes time.
and that's something the mavs haven't had too much of with wang.... getting here so late in the season ...it makes it more difficult for him to develop as quickly
Old 02-09-2002, 08:50 AM   #19
MFFL
Guru

<< Yes, you are right. But the best way to practise him is to send him inside. Don't you think so? >>

Learning a few moves or a few plays is relatively easy during the NBA season. To learn something completely new like interior play will require Wang to play in the summer league and training camp. Wang will have trouble developing until he is allowed to stay in Dallas year round.

Welcome to the board China.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:01 AM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

hadn't seen you on in awhile mffl...been a couple of days
i can see we completely agree on this

you missed some of the iverson and mcgrady arguments though
Old 02-10-2002, 07:00 AM   #21
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Can he touch the rim?
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 07:01 AM   #22
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

That would be funny: a guy that is 7+ and can't dunk!!!!!
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 08:11 PM   #23
Chris

Chris is on a distinguished road

I don't know if you get to see a lot of mavs games in germany, MED, but Wang can definitely dunk. In fact, he won the slam dunk competition back in China. And, while I'm sure that the competition isn't exactly Vince Carter, or even Jason Richardson, the championship would have to be able to actually dunk to win.

I think Wang's probably got a lot more athleticism in him than appears. The guy has never really been on a conditioning program, but he looks so much better this year than last. I'd estimate that he's right about Dirk's equivalent in that area. So while he'll never be doing windmills or 360's, he could probably be impressive on occasion, especially with a more effective post game.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 08:41 PM   #24
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

mavs.exit.de- I am a big fan of your Dirk site, but are you ever going to get your galleries all up and running? I want some Dirk dunk pics at my disposal!
Old 02-12-2002, 10:13 AM   #25
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I heard that Wang can school this Yao guy. I think he put like 40 points on him the last time they played. Of course, my only source of info is &quot;a guy named Steve&quot;. But he usually has good info.

JT
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 12:03 PM   #26
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

China,
That decision is up to Wang, not Mavs. By that I mean that Wang would have to make the decision not to return to China and apply for some sort of political assylum. I don't think he would do that.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 12:20 PM   #27
China

<< China,
That decision is up to Wang, not Mavs. By that I mean that Wang would have to make the decision not to return to China and apply for some sort of political assylum. I don't think he would do that.
>>

What are you talking about, Political assylum? Do you think Mutombo, Sabonis, and Divac all get their citizenships through political assylum? Theose people are called outstanding athletes. They can apply for a green card whatever whenever they want to.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2002, 04:34 PM   #28
dolemite220

dolemite220 is on a distinguished road

China- where can I get some information on the web about Wang. This guy has All-Star Potential. When Nelson talks about him he talks as if he is some giddy girl who is excited that a guy she likes called her.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
The only other person he has said this about is Dirk. No one believed him when he said Dirk was going to be an All-Star. Especially after his second season. Did I not just see Dirk draining 3's in the faces of the East All-Stars on Sunday. Did any one see the stuff he made against Seattle's (I think it was Desmond Mason) He sent him flying to the floor. No body contact at all ALL BALL

1310 IS THE SH!T
Old 02-13-2002, 05:03 PM   #29
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

china, as far as i know, i don't think sabonis and divac are US citizens... mutombo may be... he's been here a while. but i don't think so.

you have to live in the US for a certain period of time (what is it, 5 or 10 years or something?) to apply for citizenship. unless you marry someone and get a green card. hey, steve! hook wang up with one of your chicks! i mean, chicks pretend they aren't after it, but deep down, they all want a big Wang...
Old 02-14-2002, 08:53 AM   #30
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

I know that we have been gushing over Wang during the past few days, however during the last two games, he has really faltered, especially last night. He seems to be very hesitant and has passed up on a lot of open shots....I hope he gets over his slump and starts being more agressive....
Old 02-14-2002, 09:04 AM   #31
Road Rage

Road Rage is on a distinguished road

Hey China,

What is your take on Yao Ming? Do you think he is better than Wang or not?
Road Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 01:48 PM   #32
mick

&gt;&gt;What are you talking about, Political assylum? Do you think Mutombo, Sabonis, and Divac all get their citizenships through political assylum? Theose people are called outstanding athletes. They can apply for a green card whatever whenever they want to&lt;&lt;

The difference is that their home countries allowed them to come here and play as long as they were able to.

The country of China has not to date given Wang the same freedom, leaving the decision up to Chinese Army team, not to Wang and Mavs. He can't just get a green card and stay as long as he wants without the permission of China.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:56 PM   #33
mick

I think Wang's last two games can be explained as part of his adjustment. It is important that he get more time in regular season if he is in the plans for the playoffs.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:17 PM   #34
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

OK, we have all heard a lot about Yao Ming. I admit he sounds intriguing. A 7'5 player with shooting range and athleticism is a rarity indeed. I just have one question, does anyone know how to find some of his stats? I have read in the past that they are not recorded for individuals in China like in the States, but surely as a possible #1 draft pick somebody has to be tracking his statistics.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 03:09 PM   #35
China

Dolemite---thanks for your post. You might try www.sina.com(check their sports page) for English stories about Wang. Yes, you are right Wang has great potential for the All-star game. But still he needs to be physically stronger and to be able to speak/understand English to reach that level. Big boy made a good suggestion: hook him up with some American girl. That will definitely improve his English to another level in a short period of time.

Road Range---Yao is definitely a better center than Wang is. But they have the same problem, i.e. language problem.

BYW, Yao is said to join he Summer draft!