Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-08-2003, 12:30 PM   #1
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default "I like to play as Center"

HE LIKES TO PLAY AS CENTER

Federal District -- Although this time was in the center position, the return to the starting roster of the Mavericks de Dallas arrived soon in this campaign for Mexican Eduardo Nájera, challenge that without doubting accepts it the Mexican player.

To the original one of Meoqui, Chihuahua, pleases this "new" position to him and knows that it will face players stronger than he, but says that only it will have to battle with rivals like Shaquille ÓNeal, Tim Duncan or Alonzo Mourning. Nájera played for the first time in the campaign as starter the night of Thursday in the visit of Dallas to the Raptors of Toronto, game where it had his better numbers of this season with nine points and eight bounces in 31 minutes.

"We have (in Dallas) few centers, and in the position of forward of being able then already I know that there are not many minutes for me, nor for anybody, reason why they consider me to be center. "This already I have done it previously and then there are not many centers in the League, more than Shaquille, Tim Duncan and now Alonzo Mourning, but of in outside all they are of our size and they are players of more ability there, are no players who dominate the painting like Shaquille", he pointed in interview Eduardo.

Chihuahuense, who has played the six games of the Mavs in this campaign, said that the stellar position will not be for, because coach Don Nelson already raised that each game, always depending on the rival, will move its pieces. "Thus it is that every night will be different and will be a different center, there will be occasions that we will be smaller with me beginning, others with Danny Fortson, and the center will be others is Shawn Bradley", added Nájera, that divides equally 3,3 points, 2,8 rebounds, 1,17 steals in 17.0 minutes.

Due to the shortage of centers in Dallas, Nájera spoke of rumors even put to Hakeem Olajuwon of return to you hurt them. "a player as Arvydas Sabonis would be for playoffs, and until has spoken to bring to Olajuwon, but I believe that they no longer can play the 82 games, and believe that they will let a space to obtain a center, but that will be more ahead in the season", pointed.

Link (In Spanish)
Old 11-08-2003, 01:14 PM   #2
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default RE:"I like to play as Center"

Interesting... Maybe Najera can play center. Please bring Dirk back to the PF position.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:32 PM   #3
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Najera is just hungry for minutes and IMO is willing to play p/g if that can get them to him. I dont blame him, with the new players in here he's been shoved further to the back of the line.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 03:12 PM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Default RE: "I like to play as Center"

What he is meaning is that HE IS PLAYING as center already. He says there are no minutes left in the PF position and that there aren't enough centers in the team.

In fact, he has played more minutes as Center than Fortson and Bradley -added up- in this season.

Also he says the Mavs are looking for another center, like Olajuwon or Sabonis. He suggests that the Mavs could obtain Sabonis for the playoffs (or other center).

Old 11-08-2003, 04:29 PM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

I have a question.

When Najera plays usually does it when Walker and Dirk is on the court, without Jamison.

Usually Najera and Walker hit the paint and Dirk tries the jumshoots on the offense.

On defense, Najera is almost always in the center spot, with Dirk to his left side and Walker to his right.

Could you tell what position is Dirk playing under this scenario?

Old 11-08-2003, 04:40 PM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
On defense, Najera is almost always in the center spot, with Dirk to his left side and Walker to his right.

Could you tell what position is Dirk playing under this scenario?
What you're describing is the zone. And Dirk is playing one of the 2 Forward positions. In the Zone there really aren't PF and SF positions, just 2 Forward positions.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:22 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

You're right LRB. I forgot to mention that normally when Najera plays -Center- the defense is zone.

Also other aspect is that when the other team has a very tough big guy, the zone changes somewhat to "box and a player", and Najera defends man-to-man that player while the other Mavs defend zone.

You responded half of my question.

What about on the offensive end?

Old 11-08-2003, 06:48 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's hope that the mavs don't consistently go to Najera as the center in the zone defense. He's always been good in stretches, but the Mavs will get hammered even worse if he plays significent minutes on the inside
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 07:02 PM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
You're right LRB. I forgot to mention that normally when Najera plays -Center- the defense is zone.

Also other aspect is that when the other team has a very tough big guy, the zone changes somewhat to "box and a player", and Najera defends man-to-man that player while the other Mavs defend zone.

You responded half of my question.

What about on the offensive end?

The way Nellie loves to play Dirk out by the 3pt line, I'd almost say Dirk was a SG on offense. Either that or a SF. That's why I want Nellie to post Dirk more and play him like a true PF.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:56 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The way Nellie loves to play Dirk out by the 3pt line, I'd almost say Dirk was a SG on offense. Either that or a SF. That's why I want Nellie to post Dirk more and play him like a true PF.
I can't agree that the Mavs should play him 'like a true PF.' Why would they do that? He's entirely too versatile. He has entirely too good of an outside shot. However, he DOES need to be put down on the post alot more often than what has occurred this year and in the past few years.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 08:15 PM   #11
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
I can't agree that the Mavs should play him 'like a true PF.' Why would they do that? He's entirely too versatile. He has entirely too good of an outside shot. However, he DOES need to be put down on the post alot more often than what has occurred this year and in the past few years.
Perhaps I should have said more like a true PF. I do agree on his versatility.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:22 PM   #12
Chiwas
Guru

Well, also Walker is a good 3pt shooter.

Maybe the difference is the middle range jumper.

But in any way, it's like having 2 PF's. One more tending to step on the paint, the other more to the shooting outside.

Old 11-09-2003, 04:22 AM   #13
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get it, do you mean Roy Jones Jr. likes to play center or is it Antonio Tarper that likes to play center? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]