Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-16-2005, 10:52 AM   #1
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of
Default First time to L.A.

I'm going to Los Angeles next month for work/vacation purposes, and since this will be my first time there, I have no idea what places I should visit. I would love to tour the entire Socal area but I have only 3 days so I decide to stay in L.A.

Anyone who's familiar with LA please tell me the places that I can't miss and places I should avoid.
Thanks a bunch!!
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default RE:First time to L.A.

LA blows. I have to go for work maybe 4 times a year. I haven't done most of the touristy junk like Universal or Disneyland or Legoland, so I can't speak to that. I take that back; I did as a little kid, but that was many years ago.

I lived there for a summer in between HS and college (film school thing). You might try calling the other studios before you fly out there to see what kind of tours they have or if you can get into a taping of something, though the 3-camera situation comedy is on its last legs. Years ago, I saw a taping of that Erkle show that was on for years. Four hours of my life I will never get back. See Leno if you can. As I recall, the WB tour was pretty cool.

The absolutely coolest thing to see in LA is the Getty, but that requires an interest in art and/or architecture. I haven't seen the Louvre or MOMA, but the Getty is an awesome sight. I don't know anybody that has been and not left impressed. If you have an afternoon to kill, go there. It is much cheaper than a theme park.

Farmers' market in Santa Monica is pretty cool, too.

But what do I know, when I go out there for work now I usually stay in Burbank or Simi Valley.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:44 AM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

BTW, the USC campus has the best "scenery" of any college campus save possibly SMU. Even in Texas, for every "10", you will also have a root. Not true at USC. Only problem is that USC is in the hood, and I don't want you to die.

Oh, and stay off the 405.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: TripleDipping
I'm going to Los Angeles next month for work/vacation purposes, and since this will be my first time there, I have no idea what places I should visit. I would love to tour the entire Socal area but I have only 3 days so I decide to stay in L.A.

Anyone who's familiar with LA please tell me the places that I can't miss and places I should avoid.
Thanks a bunch!!
If you're going to LA, the one place that you must see is Dallas.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:56 PM   #5
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I haven't spent a lot of time in LA, but I would recommend a beach with a boardwalk somewhere nearby.

I did a search for you, and here's what I found on another msg board:

Quote:
"I'd recommend spending a evening at City Walk in Universal Studios in Hollywood. I'd also recommend you take a scenic tour along Mulholland drive at night. The view of the city below is breathtaking.

You can also check out LA's live music scene along Sunset Strip."

"...stay the hell away from east LA..."

"Universal Studios. Go early and take the tour, lots of background info on making movies and a fun time."

"Go up to Santa Monica and play on the pier! "

http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimat...20;t=017996;p=

"Take a walk along the Venice Beach 'boardwalk' (just south of LAX). Instant immersion in the quintessential La La Land scene. "
Old 03-16-2005, 04:03 PM   #6
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info, Dooby and Smiles. [img]i/expressions/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I'm meeting my sister and 65 year-old mother there and I guess I'll be skipping the Disneyland and Legoland and such. The Getty and boardwalk sounds like good venues.

Anymore recommendations are greatly appreciated.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #7
Dooby
Diamond Member

Yeah, then I would definitely recommend the Getty and Santa Monica pier/market/shops.

The Getty Museum:

The pictures really don't do it justice. Really, I cannot recommend the Getty highly enough. The museum is free, but you have to pay to park. Which is worth it because you get to take the monorail up the mountain to the museum. If you go and don't like it, i will be shocked. My father in law hates art and he was impressed. You can easily spend two hours there without looking at a single piece of art. But it is like the Louvre; no matter how long you spend there, you won't feel like it was enough.

Also, I think Mann's/Gramman's Chinese Theater is pretty cool for the touristy set. That is where the star's footprints in cement are (as seen in Blazing Saddles!). It is right next to the walk of fame and the Kodak theater (where the Oscars are). But if you go down the walk of fame, promise me you will spit on Jim Gray's star for me.

Pick me up an In and Out Burger; fries extra crispy.

Yeah, so those 3 things are my top recommendations: Getty, Santa Monica and Chinese Theater area. 4 counting In and Out Burger.

Old 03-16-2005, 05:33 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

A must place to eat:

Mo Better Meatty Meat Burgers
5855 W Pico Blvd
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:48 PM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Again, I can't stop talking about the Getty. If you want to see the equivalent of Mark Cuban's worth reduced to dirt, mortar, stone and steel, check out the Getty. It cost more than a billion dollars to build.

I have been in a lot "architecturally significant" buildings (at least in the USA), but nothing impressed like the Getty. It is perfection in architecture.

Old 03-16-2005, 07:23 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: First time to L.A.

I didnt like the art that much, but it wasnt crowded at all when I went and seeing the grounds is worth the trip alone .
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote