Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Question DVD/VCR help needed...

technical mumbojumbo

I want to turn all my parents old VHS movies into DVDs
I want to be able to record TV shows onto DVD (DVR?)
I want to hook up my HDTV/my home theater audio (not yet purchased) to this thing; i.e. compatible for the forseeable future

Is the samsung DVD-VR330 what I want?
Should I save $30 and buy it off J&R.com eventhough I've never heard of their site?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:24 PM   #2
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not going to use video tapes in the future, don't bother with a dualsystem thingy. You can hook up an old vcr to any DVD recorder, transfer everything to DVD, then be done with video tapes.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

I don't currently own a VCR, and my DVD player is like first generation progessive scan and has been acting kinda weird lately.

Will this thing act like a DVR and hold/save TV shows to be burned/recorded later. OR does it simultaneously record to DVD so you can't switch the channel?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

I've used J&R several times and have never had any problems with them.

you may want to invest in a true tivo/dvd recorder. the one you mention does not have a hard disk like a tivo/dvr has. try to get a 2 tuner model if possible.

otoh, tivo does have slots for a wifi usb antenna to be attached. with the antenna you can transfer the shows recorded on your tivo to your computer and (if you've got a dvd recorder) burn the dvd there.

the problem I faced with my system is I'm on directv satelite, and directv doesn't allow for the tivo usb device to function.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
I've used J&R several times and have never had any problems with them.

you may want to invest in a true tivo/dvd recorder. the one you mention does not have a hard disk like a tivo/dvr has. try to get a 2 tuner model if possible.

otoh, tivo does have slots for a wifi usb antenna to be attached. with the antenna you can transfer the shows recorded on your tivo to your computer and (if you've got a dvd recorder) burn the dvd there.

the problem I faced with my system is I'm on directv satelite, and directv doesn't allow for the tivo usb device to function.
Mac OS?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

you silly mac user...it's a windows world!

sorry, I have no experience with a mac.....but from their (very humourous) ads, it seems apple wants us to believe that digital video is easier on a mac
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
Will this thing act like a DVR and hold/save TV shows to be burned/recorded later. OR does it simultaneously record to DVD so you can't switch the channel?
Like Mavdog said, there's no hard drive on the model you linked. That means it won't be saving things to record later. Most likely you won't be able to switch the channel while it records. Since you are just using the vcr to transfer, you could avoid the extra bucks for the dual system (and get a cheap vcr, used even - or pay some kid in the neighborhood $20 to transfer it all), and spend that towards a DVR like tivo to go with your DVD recorder.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #8
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

buy a computer
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote