Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-30-2004, 07:10 PM   #1
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default Does the fact that the Americans didn't win the gold

and struggled in the Olympics

mean trouble for the NBA?

I don' think so. But it seems that most sportswriters do. I have seen so many articles in the last few days about how the 2004 Olympics is a "black eye" for the NBA.

Do these writers realize that the best player on the gold medal winning team is a key member of the San Antonio Spurs.

Or that the leading scorer of the Olympics was Yao Ming.

Or that Pau Gasol may have been the tournament's best player.

I actually think it is a good thing, to have the Manus and the Gasols of the World showing their ability against the US.

The future of the NBA, a league that will never surpass the NFL or MLB in the US, is in the global market.

Having great basketball players outside of the US only legitimizes Stern's desire to expand the NBA to Europe.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2004, 09:23 AM   #2
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Does the fact that the Americans didn't win the gold

NBA Champions can no longer claim to be "World Champions".
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:37 AM   #3
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I disagree. Put this years Pistons up against any team in the world, and they win. Shooting was the main problem for the U.S. team, but chemistry was another big issue. Any team that wins the NBA championship would have been together long enough to have the team chemistry to beat any other team. Just my HSO.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:43 AM   #4
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
I disagree. Put this years Pistons up against any team in the world, and they win. Shooting was the main problem for the U.S. team, but chemistry was another big issue. Any team that wins the NBA championship would have been together long enough to have the team chemistry to beat any other team. Just my HSO.
No question about it. The Pistons would have won the gold.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:55 AM   #5
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
Although, I agree that Pistons could have won the gold... it's never gonna' be proven, right. Imagine how hollow it'd sound outside USA, when the NBA Champions claim to be the World Champions, when their national team finishes 6th in the World Championship (2002) and 3rd at the Olympics (2004).

Old 08-31-2004, 09:58 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: V2M
NBA Champions can no longer claim to be "World Champions".
Totally off base. Until a Euro team can beat an NBA team the NBA champ is the World Champs.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:59 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Does the fact that the Americans didn't win the gold

The Golden State Warriors last year would have won the gold.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:01 AM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why you would say NBA Champs aren't the World Champs.... Argentina would not have won the gold if it weren't for Manu.

And what league does he play in?
Old 08-31-2004, 10:01 AM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: V2M
Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
Although, I agree that Pistons could have won the gold... it's never gonna' be proven, right. Imagine how hollow it'd sound outside USA, when the NBA Champions claim to be the World Champions, when their national team finishes 6th in the World Championship (2002) and 3rd at the Olympics (2004).
1st of all the NBA is an international league with players from all over the world. 2nd of all, the game wasn't being played by NBA rules. 3rd and most appropriately, that wasn't even close to the best team that the NBA can field with American only players. And last but not least, it wasn't the NBA champs who lost.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:27 AM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

the pistons would have won it, but that would have meant one more award for Brown...and I am sick of that guy!
the NBA will be fine....the world won't ever fully catch up is my guess, but they are catching up, and fast!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:48 AM   #11
V2M
Diamond Member

NBA is the best league in the World and we have the best players in the World. Bar none. I have said nothing and will say nothing to contradict that viewpoint of mine.

Claiming a team representing a city (not a country!) as the World Champions is done purely for marketing purposes. It had some validity as long as the US National teams were dominating the teams from all other countries.

True, International teams haven't beaten Pistons or for that matter any NBA team. But the converse is true also, isn't it? Has any NBA team ever beaten an international team, much less the reigning World Champion (Serbia) or the Olympic Gold Medalist (Argentina)? No. Does that mean they can't? I don't know the answer to that. Unless they are played against each other, one can only surmise.

Unlike Football and Baseball, Basketball and Hockey have become truly international sports. There are some great teams outside of USA and unlike before, the international tournaments have a meaning to 'em in these two sports. If you have noticed, NHL Champions lately are just called Stanley Cup Champions and not "World Champions". I'd guess, before long that's what would happen to NBA Champions.

Whether we in USA like to agree or not, I believe, claiming the NBA Champions as "World Champions" will be ridiculed if it is marketed outside of USA. I know, this board has some posters from Germany, Australia, etc. I'd like to hear their opinions on this.

Old 08-31-2004, 11:50 AM   #12
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
True, International teams haven't beaten Pistons or for that matter any NBA team. But the converse is true also, isn't it? Has any NBA team ever beaten an international team, much less the reigning World Champion (Serbia) or the Olympic Gold Medalist (Argentina)? No. Does that mean they can't? I don't know the answer to that. Unless they are played against each other, one can only surmise.
Yes, NBA teams have beaten international teams. They used to play quite regularly. I remember when the Bulls won one of their championships, the following year taking on some of the championship teams in Europe. I don't think that NBA teams play international teams as much anymore, but I do know for a fact that the NBA used to play international teams. The Atlanta Hawks started doing it with the Soviets way back in the 80's I believe. As far as I know, the NBA have won every one of these games.