Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-14-2001, 11:51 AM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Banks hadn't shown much in preseason

Tony Banks apparently is not going to be the quarterback to lead the Dallas Cowboys to glory.

In fact, he won't even be with the team.

ESPN.com's John Clayton has reported that Banks was released by the Cowboys on Tuesday.

On Monday, after previously saying throughout camp that Banks was his starter, coach Dave Campo said all three quarterback job were open.

Banks has been the quarterback for the Cowboys on five possessions in the preseason, all of which have ended with punts.

In his 29 plays in two preseason games, Banks has led the Cowboys to 99 total yards. He had signed a one-year, $500,000 contract with no signing bonus, so the Cowboys are not out any money.

At the Cowboys' training facility in Oxnard, Calif., Banks was seen in street clothes while the rest of the players were in uniform for practice, and the Cowboys confirmed to ESPN.com that Banks had been released.

Source: Banks hadn't shown much in preseason
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2001, 12:01 PM   #2
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I've said this guy sucked since he was with the Rams, but these teams continue to sign him!!!! HE SUCKS!!!!
Old 08-14-2001, 12:04 PM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Yea but is Carter/Wright ready?
Old 08-14-2001, 01:53 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

no.
but, apparently tony banks wasn't ready either.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 03:08 PM   #5
TheKid
Diamond Member

Carter isn't that good either, but Wright played a few games last year and didn't look that bad. Atleast those two have youth on their side for their mistakes, Bank's excuse is he's terrible.
Old 08-14-2001, 03:12 PM   #6
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Carter's played pretty well so far in the first 2 preseason games. Clearly out played Banks in every way. I like this move.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 03:24 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad to see Banks gone. He wasn't anything other than a stopgap answer, so I'd rather give the PT to someone who will be here in a few years.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 06:28 PM   #8
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

OH MY GOD- if CARTER is the STARTER- and they say he IS, the COWBOYS WILL SUCK. Hey KID- bet against Dallas every week!! You will be rich.....

Ok- I really think Carter is a great athlete, and may become a good QB some day. BUT not yet- not now!!!! way TOO early to start him.

CHA CHING$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 08-14-2001, 07:07 PM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

It's not like we were going to win any games with BANKS as the QB anyway.
Old 08-15-2001, 02:21 PM   #10
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Banks already found possible home in DC.

Link

Old 08-15-2001, 02:51 PM   #11
TheKid
Diamond Member

Unbelievable, he continues to make a team and he does NOTHING!!!!
Old 08-17-2001, 03:45 PM   #12
djb
Administrator

Banks lands in Washington

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Having been through a 48-hour period that mirrored the roller coaster nature of his NFL career to this point, quarterback Tony Banks barely had time to catch his breath Thursday after signing a one-year, $477,000 contract with the Washington Redskins, and immersing himself in yet another offensive playbook.

"I'm getting accustomed to cramming," said Banks, 28, who was abruptly released by the Dallas Cowboys on Tuesday morning, and is now joining his fourth different team in just six seasons. "It's not the perfect way to do things, but this is how it is for now, and I'm grateful for the opportunity."

The Redskins spent the past several days seeking a veteran quarterback to address a lack of able-bodied passers in training camp. Starter Jeff George threw for the first time in nearly two weeks on Wednesday, but continues to recover from tendonitis in his right shoulder and probably will not play until the preseason finale.

Second-year pro Todd Husak has a strained oblique muscle in his side, but was able to participate in some drills the last two days. The only healthy quarterbacks were a pair of rookies, fourth-round draft pick Sage Rosenfels and undrafted free agent Mike Watkins.

Washington came close on Tuesday to signing free agent Danny Kanell, a five-year veteran who worked out that morning for Redskins coaches, then backed off when word was relayed than Banks had been cut.

One element in Banks' decision to sign with the Redskins was the quarterbacks coach Brian Scottehenheimer, the son of the head coach Marty Schottenheimer, was on the St. Louis staff in 1997. That was Banks' second season with the Rams and he became good friends with the younger Schottenheimer.

Marty Schottenheimer also received a strong recommendation on Banks from Kansas City coach Dick Vermeil, who worked with the quarterback in St. Louis.

"I feel like I know some people here and that it's a good situation for me," Banks said. "My initial reaction when the Cowboys cut me was to take some time and think about things for a while. But I decided, when this opportunity was there, to make the most of it. It's no fun sitting around at home."

Dating back to his Michigan State career, Banks has worked in at least seven different offensive systems, and that lack of continuity has, he acknowledged, been a detriment to his advancement.

In his previous five seasons, Banks, 28, appeared in 66 games and started 61 of them. A second-round pick of the St. Louis Rams in the '96 draft, Banks has completed 1,004 of 1,857 passes for 12,047 yards, with 61 touchdown passes and 58 interceptions.

In addition to the Rams (1996-98), he also played for Baltimore (1999-2000) before signing with Dallas earlier this spring.

Source: Banks lands in Washington
Old 08-19-2001, 03:12 PM   #13
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

the Boys will go 9-7. With Carter at the QB.
Old 08-19-2001, 06:52 PM   #14
MFFL
Guru

Dude - are you taking money bets? I'll give you odds that the Cowboys don't have a winning record. Vegas has the Cowboys with the worst record in the NFL this year.
Old 08-19-2001, 07:45 PM   #15
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Nah...I wouldn't be that careless with my predictions if there was money involved. But I do think they'll shock the world!
Old 08-19-2001, 09:01 PM   #16
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I think they'll have a better year then most everyone else thinks. Not a winning year but...

Old 08-25-2001, 08:59 AM   #17
MFFL
Guru

Does every player we release have to look like an All-Pro?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, August 25, 2001
Banks, Redskins rally to beat Browns
From Wire Reports

LANDOVER, Md. - The return of Jeff George failed to spark the Washington Redskins. The debut of Tony Banks did.

Banks led three scoring drives, completing 12 of 15 passes for 177 yards and two touchdowns, as the Redskins rallied from a 14-point first-half deficit to beat the Cleveland Browns, 27-25, Friday night.

Brett Conway's 19-yard field goal with 4:06 to play, set up by Sage Rosenfels' 43-yard pass to fellow rookie Justin Skaggs, broke a 17-17 tie and put the Redskins ahead for good.

Banks threw touchdown passes of 2 yards to Donnell Bennett and 4 yards to Walter Rasby for the Redskins (1-2), who had scored just six points in their first two preseason games using young, inexperienced quarterbacks.

Ricky Dudley had a 15-yard touchdown catch, and Quincy Morgan ran 2 yards for a score for the Browns (2-1), who found some offensive rhythm behind Tim Couch after scoring just two touchdowns in their first two games.

Banks, signed eight days earlier and using a limited play book, did most of his work in the second half, when it became apparent that Washington's backups were better than Cleveland's. But Banks also led the first-stringers on a 72-yard scoring drive in just 49 seconds at the end of the first half.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:23 PM   #18
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Dallas will win 4 games this year-tops.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:42 PM   #19
MFFL
Guru

reeds - damn you're an optimist. I think 3-13 is the best they can do, 2-14 is more likely. Looking at the Cowboy schedule, what games do they even have a 50/50 shot of winning? Every team in the NFL has a better QB situation. We have 2 fragile WR's with no depth. Our MLB is undersized and has been injury-prone. Our CB's are inexperienced.

I expect us to lose 8 games by more than 2 touchdowns. The Cowboys are going to stink this year.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:46 PM   #20
djb
Administrator

Now that we've got Leaf, our problems at QB have been solved! LOL J/K [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2001, 09:47 PM   #21
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I believe in Q ball. We're gonna win 5! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2001, 10:05 PM   #22
MFFL
Guru

If we win 5, Campo should be coach of the year.

Leaf should be a fine addition to the club. It's full of KP's, he'll fit right in.