Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-09-2001, 08:39 PM   #1
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

KEN GRIFFEY JR. Just became the youngest player EVER to get to 450 HOME RUNS!!!!!EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok- im a bit excited, but im a huge GRIFFEY FAN. Then next homerun champion!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2001, 11:08 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm hoping that it will be him or a-rod that break aaron's record.
i don't think it will be sammy that ends up with the record
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 11:50 PM   #3
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I hate to admit it, but I agree with Murphy. Sosa became a great power hitter too late in his career to make a serious run for the title.
Old 08-10-2001, 08:45 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

sosa needs a fastball in the ribs.
i usually don't advocate trying to injure players, but he deserves it. his antics are annoying, and if he was in the american league going up against clemens or martinez and pulled his b.s. after hitting a home run, he would take a pitch under his chin the next time up.
Old 08-10-2001, 04:32 PM   #5
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Exactally- Especially Clemens. That "hop" and slow trot wouldnt happen more than once against Clemens.

I also think because its the national league, less pitchers throw at you than in the American leauge. Probably because in the National league, the pitcher than has to go up to bat and get a taste of his own medicine....
Old 08-10-2001, 05:21 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Of course...
maybe randy johnson will hit him sometime soon.
we can only hope.
and that dumbass crap he does to the camera after a homer. that alone is enough to where he should get thrown at after every homer. he's all about himself...
the only reason he doesn't come off like a prick is because he smiles alot and can't speak english worth sh*t.
Old 08-10-2001, 05:41 PM   #7
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

he's got a media darling's personality...

i'm a big cubs fan, but the stuff he does infuriates me. that stupid hop! the water on his face, the kissing his fingers, then giving the peace sign... i agree, the only reason he hasn't gotten hit consistently is because he plays in the NL.

imagine hitting sosa, then having to come up to bat against woods or maybe even farnsworth...
Old 08-10-2001, 05:41 PM   #8
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly does Sosa do that pisses people off?
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 06:17 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

his antics after every homerun.
he deserves a fastball in the temple...but, i'm not advocating violence

kissing his fingers and immediately going for the camera.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:31 PM   #10
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

The hop is GREATNESS!! Plus, when he kisses his fingers he's blowing kisses to his mom in the Dominican Republic. And it's not a slow trot. BBL has a good point. If he was thrown at Farnsworth would have a 100 mph fastball ready for somebody. Jr. Griffey is pretty Darn cockey himself. But he hasn't had quite as much to be proud about as Sammy this year. How about the three homer game yesterday. WOW!
Old 08-11-2001, 01:02 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

i don't care who he's blowing kisses to
he could blow kisses up your ass for all i care...he should be drilled between the eyes for his dumb sh*t
Old 08-12-2001, 12:05 PM   #12
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

...whatever...
Old 08-12-2001, 11:07 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

wow..that was a good comeback
Old 08-13-2001, 07:32 AM   #14
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Tiger, it doesn't matter who he blows kisses to. he's going straight for the camera, and that is showing up the pitcher...

right now, the cockiest homerun hitters are ALL in the natinal league...

sosa, bonds (probably the king of cocky homerun hitters), griffey, and mcgwire (not so much as the other ones...)
Old 08-13-2001, 03:54 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

mcgwire is as cocky as anyone..
he's an arrogant dumbass that needs to take a fastball under the chin. he has the poorest attitude.
he has been a jackass since he came into the majors, almost as bad as bonds...
Old 08-13-2001, 04:23 PM   #16
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Well I've never watched him or heard from him closely, HOWEVER, this past year he has been a JERK, whenever he's asked about Bonds possibly breaking his record. He gets all bent out of shape, etc. etc. Fuck him!!!!
Old 08-13-2001, 05:21 PM   #17
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Yeah...I don't know about Sammy. I sure don't think he's trying to show anybody up, I just think he's a happy person and likes the camera. McQwire isn't cocky so much as he is just a butt-hole. Griffey and Bonds are just plain cocky.
Old 08-13-2001, 05:36 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

i don't have a problem with griffey or bonds..neither are necessarily too cocky or arrogant on the field (although neither are particularly hospitable with the press, especially thekidGriff since all of the death threats)...
but sosa, whether intentionally or not, comes off as a goofy moron with his finger kissing and his little home run hop.
mcgwire, well, look at his average and you'll see what he's in the game for..to hit more home runs and try and break aaron's record
Old 08-13-2001, 05:41 PM   #19
TheKid
Diamond Member

There was a point where I thought he would and I wanted him to break Aaron's record, however now I hope he doesn't and I don't think his body will allow him to stick around long enough to do so.
Old 08-13-2001, 07:53 PM   #20
reeds
Golden Member

Ya- SOSA blowing kisses may have been Ok to watch ONCE, but not every damn time- its getting way past sickening. And I actually use to like BIG MAC too, but he seems real sensitive about his record being threatened.

For some reason, I dont mind the cockiness from Bonds and Griffey. Maybe its because im too adicted to their games or style? Not sure. I will say this, Bonds is getting a bit too hard on the media right now though. They even bring up the word "homerun" and he goes off. "Next question, or end of conversation" are his two most popular sayings. I know what he is trying to say, "im a team player, its about the WINS", but come on! The man has 50 already, and the world is watching... Have some fun with it...I think he will do it (71), if they pitch to him in Sept. That is the question....
Old 08-13-2001, 10:02 PM   #21
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

I don't mind the cockiness either. The say act like you've done it before, but a homrun is no easy thing ot come by. And, like the rest of you, I don't want McQwire to break the record, even though I used to. He's just really caught up in himself. Plus, I don't think he will be able to play many more seasons on that knee.
Old 08-14-2001, 07:58 AM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

of course..act like you've done it before...swing the bat, if you know it's gone..run calmly run around the bases...
his blowing kisses makes him look like a guy that's never hit a home run before....it's just stupid and he needs to get drilled for it
Old 08-14-2001, 08:51 AM   #23
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

how can you say bonds isn't cocky? the man hits one and stands at the plate watching it. he flings his bat in the air. he is one cocky SOB.
Old 08-14-2001, 09:06 AM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

i didn't say he isn't cocky...
he's definitely cocky..but not too cocky..if i remember correctly, that is what i said.

i'm not a huge fan of bonds either, but i like him much more than sosa or mcgwire.

truthfully, i would love for sosa and mcgwire to never play the game again...that would be fine with me
Old 08-14-2001, 09:13 AM   #25
TheKid
Diamond Member

I'm with you FT, I think all those bastards are cocky but you know what, I DON'T CARE about that. To be honest, I personally think the game is for the fans. If the fans like it, then do it! No one says shit when people like the Big Unit gets pumped up after he strikes someone out and starts yelling. Why isn't that showing someone up? I don't think anyone should be beamed for doing anything, also, Sosa does his kisses when he's back in the dug out, he doesn't do it running around the bases. His hop after he hits a long home run is no different than Griffey or Bonds standing there watching it as it goes out of the park.

I'm not for all these little respect and intricasies (sp) of the game that's suppose to happen. Bullshit! When Babe Ruth pointed his home run, that wasn't showing the pitcher up??? Hell yes it was, but you know what, it was still great and especially for the fans. Alot of what Sosa does is supersticious (sp again) too, he's said that many times. If I was hitting HR's like he was and doing the same thing everytime made me believe I was going to keep hitting them like that then, I'd do the same thing over and over too.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:01 AM   #26
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

actually, it's debated as to whether or not the babe even called his shot. i think it's actually accepted that he did not. and yeah, it is showing the pitcher up.

and murph, sorry to jump on that. i see you said "neither are necessarily too cocky or arrogant on the field." have to say i disagree with that, though. to me, griffey and bonds are THE cocky players. sosa needs to curb his antics, but he's having fun. big mac is just an ass.

they're all good players, so they deserve to be cocky, but sometimes it's just too much.

and kid, i'm not a strict supporter of the "unwritten rules" of baseball. i think some are ridiculous (like how everyone ripped on ben davis for breaking up schilling's no-hitter with a bunt single in a two-run game)... but players shouldn't show up their opponents, pitchers or batters. i hate clemens, but he normally just walks off the field after striking out the side.

it's like in football when you score a touchdown. simply act like you've been there before. i know people think it's better for the fans, but i don't.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:33 AM   #27
TheKid
Diamond Member

Well it's like Emmitt Smith said once, "It doesn't matter that you've been there before, it's still feels like the first time each and every time."

It's like you said, they're having fun, and I don't see anything wrong with that. Now I have a problem with taunting, however it should not be interpreted that a batter is trying or showing a pitcher up each and everytime he celebrates after hitting a homerun. None of these batters say anything or do anything to these pitchers after they hit a blast. I just disagree with that entire logic. Now it can piss a pitcher off, but it would piss me off as a batter if a pitcher struck me out and started celebrating afterwards. However there's only one way to get back at them, if you're a pitcher, strike his ass out next time you face him. That's what makes the game interesting in my eyes. As a pitcher, I think it's BULLSHIT, when they hit the batter (aka: Roger Clemons and Piazza). Just rear back and strike their ass out, be a man about it. It's a game, and it's for the fans, but at the same time, it's a game and it's suppose to be fun. You're suppose to be excited when you hit a homerun, I don't give a damn if you hit 100 of them a season, it's still an amazing feet to hit a ball 400 feet that coming at you 90 mph. I would stand there and admire the shit too, or jump around or be excited, I don't care what the other person would think about it.

Also, something that was said earlier about if Sosa was in the American League he would get one square on the chin. Well the pitchers in the American league are MUCH more brave, you know why because they don't have to get up to bat and face the music themselves. Look at Clemens, he hit Piazza in the head, then threw a bat at the man, then what happens everytime they go to Shea? Torre takes him out of the rotation? If he's man enough to throw at Piazza put his ass in there and face the music himself. THAT'S why the National League pitchers won't do it as much, because they know it hurts to be hit by a pitch and they don't want to be hit by one! That's why the American League is a joke IMO.

Sorry to be on my soapbox, just wanted to vent a little. Also, BB, I agree with you about Ben Davis breaking up Schillings no-hitter. That's bull, if someone had of threw him out, no one would have said anything about it, but because he couldn't get the no hitter it was a problem.

Old 08-14-2001, 10:52 AM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

probably a good way to stop sosa's shit would be to drill the next batter a couple of times...that will get his antics stopped really quickly...or even better, drill the cubs pitcher when he comes up.

no, i'm not a big supporter of the unwritten rules..but i am a big supporter in throwing at batters that show up pitchers...even if it's not intentional, sosa's actions are unacceptable...

and i agree..ben davis, what he did...that was intelligent baseball..he's trying to win a ball-game and trying to get on base....

this is what sports is missing today..people have no reprecussions for their actions...
everytime a player celebrates a touchdown and shows up the other team..a player from the other team should be there to knock his head off...
in baseball, a player celebrates a homerun with sosa-like antics.. drill him or the next player in the ribs.
a basketball player jumps up and down and acts like he's the shit after a dunk..give him a elbow to the teeth..

their's nothing wrong with being enthused..but when it crosses over to showing up the other team, there's two acceptable ways to deal with it..

1)bodily harm
2)strike them out, score a touchdown, or slam it in their face..

both options are exceptable if it gets the bull shit taunting out of the game.
actually, i have no problem with the taunting, as long as the other team retaliates..then it's acceptable
Old 08-14-2001, 10:57 AM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

what is wrong with scoring a touchdown or hitting a home run with class?

what is the worst is when alot of these freaking idiots celebrate like they're something special when their team is down buy 3 touchdowns in football..or when they're cown 6 runs in baseball...or 20 points in basketball..
it's ridiculous

why can't players play the game like kirby puckett or tony gwynn.. or nolan ryan.....or dale murphy, ...mike schmidt, ..troy aikman, tom seaver, emmitt smith (most of the time), ....
what's wrong with being respected?..why do alot of these players have to look like freaking morons
Old 08-14-2001, 11:26 AM   #30
TheKid
Diamond Member

Murph, there's nothing AT ALL wrong with playing the game with class, but you have to understand not all of these people were brought up with in the same background. Not to compare, but for instance I use to go to the "Rutger" in New York and watch a lot of those basketball games, these players TALK SHIT AND DON'T STOP!! They get a dunk and you think someone won the lottery, but for them and everyone watching in that setting, it's fun! It gets comical and the thing is, the way someone gets back at them, is not to get mad, not throwing an elbow, just doing back to them, the same thing someone did to them. The best part about it is, after each and every game, these dudes, laugh about it. No one feels they were showed up, all feel they were putting on a show for the fans and it's appreciated by the fans. Now I think it depends on whose watching when it's decided if they're being a moron or not. The reason being is it's a game and everyone, even the players manage to get caught up in it sometimes. Regardless of how many times they do it, you want to see emotion. Now granted it can get a bit tiresome at times, but I'd prefer to see too much enthusiasm compared to not enough.

For instance what Terrell Owens did last year in Dallas. NOW THAT, deserved a forearm to the HEAD!!!! THAT is disrespectful! I guess I don't consider it disrespectful or trying to show someone up if it's something a player does everytime. Sosa, Bonds, Griffey and McGwire have been and always will be doing the same thing after their HR's each time. So I don't consider that trying to show anyone up because it's their "routine".

Also, I don't consider any of these guys not playing with class. What Terrell Owens did was CLASSLESS though.
Old 08-14-2001, 11:40 AM   #31
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

good, kid, i'm glad you brought up terrell owens, cause i was about to.

whoever the dallas player was that tackled him at midfield, i have mucho kudos for him. i don't even like the cowboys, but owens was a punk and should have gotten even worse for that. what was amazing was that he was unapologetic and didn't think he did anything wrong. at least the 49ers took matters into their hands a liitle bit (he was suspended by the team, right?).

ok, kid, if nba players played like those guys, would you really want to watch it? i mean, street balling is ok, but it makes me sick a lot of times (one reason i don't like jason williams). i consider myself to hang in the balance between purist and new-age, and i think some trash is good for competition, but i in no way want professional leagues to turn into street leagues.
Old 08-14-2001, 11:59 AM   #32
TheKid
Diamond Member

No I'm not saying it should turn into that, nor would I want it to be the type of games I've ever watched at the Rutger either. I like to consider myself a "traditionalist" and welcoming the "new age" as well. In doing that, I can understand everything these players do now is done in mind with whose watching, and they do want to draw some attention to themselves too, and there's nothing really wrong with that. HOWEVER watching those games, brings me back to the fact that this is a game that's suppose to be fun. It should be fun for the fans and the people playing it. It's hard to compare basketball to baseball in that light, however when you're little, you always dream about doing that stuff, hitting a ball out the ball park, or dunking and having 20,000 fans screaming when you do it. So when I see someone doing something like that, I don't take it as showing up their opponent, I see it as them getting caught up in the action. I guess for me there's a fine line of it being ok then taunting, but as long as it's in FUN, then I don't have a problem with it. Players trash talking or dunking and going nuts, or even hitting a ball out of the ball park and kissing to the camera, if it's done in fun, then I DON'T have a problem with it.

Another example, when the White Sox played the Cubs. Magglio Ordonez hit a homerun that put them in the lead and they won the game. When Ordonez hit the homerun, he crossed homeplate and did Sosa's kiss that he does and bowed to the crowd. NOW, that's trying to show up the opponent. He did that for Sosa's benefit and for the Cubs fan to get pissed about it. He was mocking him. Sosa does his thing for either superstitous reasons, or for kissing for his mom, whatever, but he doesn't do it to show up the pitcher. Bonds or Griffey doesn't watch their homerun go out the park to make the pitcher mad, that's their thing and that's all it is.

As far as basketball goes, it doesn't bother me as much because just as quick as Garnett can come down and dunk on someone and get excited, he can go back down the court and have someone dunk on him and get excited. That's why I really don't mind it in basketball because if it's done in the sense to show up the opponent, it will come back to them.
Old 08-14-2001, 01:58 PM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

i'm not saying that there's no room for trash talking..
i didn't say that..
all i'm saying is that when you show somebody up and act like a jackass..you deserve to get the shit beat out of you.
i would have nothing against a pitcher that drilled sammy sosa in the ribs..nothing at all...frankly, with his antics, he deserves a fastball in the ribs...
Old 08-14-2001, 03:09 PM   #34
TheKid
Diamond Member

Well that's your opinion, In my opinion he does nothing wrong.
Old 08-15-2001, 10:20 AM   #35
NotEnuffEyesToSee

NotEnuffEyesToSee is on a distinguished road

Men should behave cocky sometimes ...
and what's wrong with Sosa's gesture ? I like that ...
and some people like that, too ...
Don't you guys know these guys like Sosa, Bonds,
Big Mac bring more fans to the ball game ?
Major league needs lots of fans ... the more the better ...
Too many lives to lead Not enough time
It's too late
NotEnuffEyesToSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 10:22 AM   #36
NotEnuffEyesToSee

BTW, nobody mentioned Gonzo's name ...
do you think he's not cocky ? I like him a lot ...
but my most fav is Nomaaaaaaarrrrrrr ...
It's too late
Old 08-15-2001, 11:19 AM   #37
TheKid
Diamond Member

Well Gonzo isn't cocky also, he hasn't been doing it as long or consistent as the other guys have been either.
Old 08-16-2001, 05:20 AM   #38
NotEnuffEyesToSee

I think I showed up several guys including MFFL and Murphy3
on this board for fun or as a joke ...
I guess I went too far sometimes, sorry 'bout that ...
but as far as I remember, you guys said it's OK when I use the WINK symbol.
and someone even said "you can be as mean as you want, if there's a SMILE, you're OK",
so I guess everything's gonna be all right if Sammy WINKS or SMILES at the pitcher
EVERYtime he crushes one really hard instead of blowing kisses or hopping [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ...
It's too late
Old 08-16-2001, 06:53 AM   #39
NotEnuffEyesToSee

Big Boy Laroux, I know you're a big Cub's fan ... too bad you don't have Mark Grace ...
He's in the D'Backs(my fav team), Gonzo, Matt, Mark ... these guys are old but still great [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
anyway Cub's fans always throw the opponent's homerun ball back to the field,
isn't that a BIG show-up ? I'm sure the batter finds it very offensive ...
It's too late
Old 08-16-2001, 09:57 AM   #40
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

who cares what the fans do... as long as it's not trying to injure players, it's all good. showing support for their team.

and i was pissed about grace. he's my favorite player, and i was upset.