Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-24-2001, 10:42 AM   #1
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Does anyone think the Diamonbacks have a chance behind the pitching of Schilling and Johnson? They have great lifetime stats against O´Neill, Martinez and Justice, but I don´t think that will matter much. The Yankees have great pitching too and more offensive power.Arizona will have a very hard time to even get on the scoreboard.
I predict the Yankees to win in 5.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2001, 11:06 AM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I'll NEVER be able to pull for the Yanks(even though I did want them to beat Seatle), but I don't know how you can bet against them. Their amazing. Yanks in 6.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 02:23 PM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i'll be rooting for my mian man mark grace!

but man oh man... mariano riviera is unstoppable! talk about domination.
Old 10-24-2001, 09:20 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

diamondbacks in 6
i look for schilling and johnson to be about as dominating as 2 pitcher have ever been in the world series
having said that...man, i can't stand johnson and schilling...especially johnson..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 10:40 PM   #5
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Arizona has to go up 2-0 to have a chance. They will lose game 3 with Anderson and if Johnson and Schilling really pitch on 3 days rest it will be hard for Arizona to get any wins after game 2. So if they win both at home they might have a chance, but I expect the Yankees to make some moves to take away from Schillings strenght against lefties.
I think the Yankees will win game 1 right away, and the series will be over then.
Old 10-25-2001, 09:07 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

why will they not have much of a chance if johnson and schilling pitch on 3 days rest?
both of them are more than capable of doing so.
your synopsis is a bit suspect
Old 10-25-2001, 07:43 PM   #7
Fidel
Diamond Member

Schilling has never done it (pitching on three days rest) in his whole career, Johnson has done it two times in the postseason, losing both games.
Old 10-26-2001, 10:12 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

randy johnson had pitched semi-poorly in the post season before this year (in which he's pitched brilliantly)..so, you can throw your stat out the window for that.
schilling hasn't done it, so...you have nothing to back up your statement other than 2 games.
i think i'll go with johnson and schilling
Old 10-26-2001, 03:36 PM   #9
Fidel
Diamond Member

Johnson could be able to do it, we´ll see. Schilling hasn´t done it so far because he can´t. The Diamondbacks aren´t really thinking about using him on three days rest, it seems like they might use Johnson on three days rest, but only if they are in desperate need of a W.
I agree that both Johnson and Schilling pitched brilliant this year, but the Yankees do have some options. They could bring in Velarde for Martinez at first and Spencer for O´Neill in right. That would take away alot from Johnson, since he has great lifetime stats against the NY lefties.
A problem for Arizona is that they need this to be a series with dominant pitching, when it comes to offensive firepore they are overmatched by the Yankees. On the other hand NY´s good starting pitchers along with the awesome bullpen could be able to battle it out with Johnson and Schilling.
That´s why I favor NY, they are not as one dimensional as Arizona.
Old 10-26-2001, 08:57 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

if the series goes 7, schilling and johnson will combine to pitch 5 times.
guess what, i don't care whether you put up a left handed hitter or a right handed hitter, neither are very successful against johnson.

I believe Johnson will find a rhythm and be almost unhittable and schilling will be dominant as well.
you believe something else, but have nothing to back it up...neither do I.
yes, i realize that arizona is more one dimensional, but i also realize that arizona's one dimension could very easily completely dominate the series, and I expect that to happen
i realize that yanks have more offensive options and more bullpen options...but i also realize that the diamondbacks won't need much from their bullpen this series..they'll rely heavily on schilling and johnson, allowing them to go all 9 if needed.
Old 10-27-2001, 09:01 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

another thing...
arizona had more runs, home runs, and hits this year...despite playing in the national league where your pitcher bats 2-3 times a game.
arizona has a deeper bench and a very comparable starting lineup.
but it comes down to what johnson and schilling do
Old 10-27-2001, 07:31 PM   #12
Fidel
Diamond Member

I can agree with most of what you said, but I still don´t think Schilling is capable of doing it.
One other thing: I don´t care for regular season stats when it comes to the Yankees. They have stepped up their play alot in the postseason (once again).
In all of the 3 stats you mentioned they are clearly ahead of the Diamondbacks, with both teams having played 11 games. The Yankees do also have better onbase and slugging percentage. So we´ll see. I really hope this to be a close and exciting series, cause I do love baseball (very seldom you would hear a european say something like that, most don´t even understand the game).
1-1 after the 1st inning by the way.

Go Yankees!
Old 10-27-2001, 08:47 PM   #13
Fidel
Diamond Member

Uh oh 9-1 after 4th inning. Yanks are in trouble, I guess.
No serious: 1-0 Arizona. Could be an interresting series now, could also be a short one for Arizona.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:52 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

of course the yankees should have a better on base percentage and slugging percentage..that's part of playing in the american league.. you have a DH instead of a pitcher batting...so all offensive stats should be up for an american league team (basically)

another thing, it's 2-0 d'backs...get ready to eat some crow
guess what, it's generally not a good idea to go against me. you won't have very good results
Old 10-29-2001, 10:18 PM   #15
Fidel
Diamond Member

Nah, it´s just sports. That´s what makes it fun. You just don´t know what´s going to happen until it happens. The only thing that surprises me is that the Diamondbacks were able to score 13 runs in 2 games against NY. I was aware they could hold the Yankees to just a few runs with Schilling and Johnson on the mount. But to see Mussina give up so many runs really surprised me. I thought it would be 1-1 after 2 games played with the wins for Mussina and Johnson.
Now it will be tough for the Yankees. Even if they win game 3, they must crack either Schilling or Johnson to win the series.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:42 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

yes, it is just sports.
and, some people just know more about it than others...
no hard feelings, maybe you know more about something else
Old 10-31-2001, 01:59 PM   #17
Fidel
Diamond Member

Make that 2-1. And they do it. Brenley will use Schilling on three days rest against El Duque. He takes the risk, although he doesn´t need to. IMO it would have been better for Arizona to bring in Schilling and Johnson for games 5 and 6. I know they want Schilling again for a possible game 7, but I´m not so sure this works. We´ll see tonight.
Oh and Murphy, don´t try so hard to be an ass. It´s just funny.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:04 AM   #18
Fidel
Diamond Member

2-2. Haha. Schilling pitched really well though, so did Hernandez (when you consider what he has done so far this year that was a good game for Hernandez). I´d still give the edge to Schilling.
But the Yankees just never ever quit. Huge homer by Martinez in the 9th and Rivera in the 10th was awesome (braking three bats in a perfect inning).
What a great game.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:33 AM   #19
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is - DAMN the Yankees! They're going to win it all AGAIN! I hate them (mainly because they are so much better than the Rangers).
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 06:46 AM   #20
Fidel
Diamond Member

3-2 Yankees and another great game last night.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2001, 05:32 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

fidel, i'm just giving you a hard time.
besides, it appears that i might be eating a little crow with my prediction.

however, i think johnson shuts the yankees down in game six and the it's clemens and schilling for game 7...anyone's game.
and i'll go with schilling
Old 11-03-2001, 08:11 AM   #22
Fidel
Diamond Member

NP, it´s ok Murphy, at least you´re the only one here who really wants to talk baseball (no offence to all you other guys, I know it´s mainly a Dallas Mavs board and that´s ok. It´s just that most of the Baseball MSG boards are shit).

I´m not so sure there actually is a game 7. IMO Johnson won´t be as dominating tonight, so it could be all over pretty soon. If there is a game 7 it should be close, but I´ll go with Clemens and the much more experienced Yankees (when it comes to World Series play).
Old 11-03-2001, 09:27 PM   #23
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

So is Schilling pitching game 7? Time to place your bets boys! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 09:59 PM   #24
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I say yes but not starting. I wouldn't be suprised to see Johnson even pitch an inning or maybe two. Their blowing the Yanks out right now so they may pull him early tonight.

Old 11-04-2001, 11:20 PM   #25
Fidel
Diamond Member

Arizona wins it all. They kinda deserved it but it was close at the end. I still can´t believe Rivera blew it.
Old 11-05-2001, 10:04 AM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

well, it looks like i was right...
before the series, i picked d'backs in 7...
when the d'backs were down 3-2, i picked d'backs in 7
damn, i must be smart
Old 11-05-2001, 11:34 AM   #27
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

After that pathetic Cowboys-Giants game yesterday, the D-Backs win totally made my day!
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 11:44 AM   #28
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I'm glad them damn yanks didn't win [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] . It was one of the more intertaining World Series in a LONG while.

Congrat's D-Backs.

Old 11-05-2001, 11:39 PM   #29
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I am SO glad the damn yankees didn't win again. Made my day!
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 04:19 PM   #30
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

DJ, that Giants-Cowboys game was only pathetic because you're a Cowboys fan. Unlike myself who is a Giants fan, therefore that game was pretty good to me :-)
Old 11-14-2001, 06:50 PM   #31
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

My friend got tickets to the Cowboys/Eagles game Sun. and I get to go with him. It should be pretty fun. Most of the time they are no matter what the score ends up being.