Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-22-2007, 04:31 PM   #41
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelenjaeger
Just to call out something ... I´m rather sure we could have gotten ... let´s say ... Kurt Thomas in some kind of a Sign and Trade scenario, allowing Phoenix to stay slightly below the Tax Payroll and enabling them to keep their first round picks. Like ... Re-Signing Croshere to a 3 yr deal first year guaranteed and then trading him away ... not sure that´s what we need though.

I´m with ya on Grant Hill.

We might have had a shot on getting our hands on Steve Francis actually, but we might have had to offer the Clips something BEFORE they cut him (S&T options again, along with packaging a guy like ... BUckner? or such), but that would have meant we woud have had to swallow his contract, but it could have been done really.

I just don´t see us really WILLING to change something. And that gives me kind of a headache. We´re just pretending to be players on the market.
That would have been an horrible move for the Mavs, and it would have cost them 16 million to get Kurt. As soon as we do a sign and trade with Croshere for Kurt, we not only add that salary, but luxury tax would eat that up as well. Like said earlier, the only move so far that has been made that would have made sense for the Mavs would be Grant Hill.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #42
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just to call out something ... I´m rather sure we could have gotten ... let´s say ... Kurt Thomas in some kind of a Sign and Trade scenario, allowing Phoenix to stay slightly below the Tax Payroll and enabling them to keep their first round picks. Like ... Re-Signing Croshere to a 3 yr deal first year guaranteed and then trading him away ... not sure that´s what we need though.
No one wants croshere, they'd have to cut him immediately. Kurt Thomas to me looks about like what we wanted, but I"m not so sure about his contract? How big is it, I expect pretty sizeable.

Quote:
We might have had a shot on getting our hands on Steve Francis actually, but we might have had to offer the Clips something BEFORE they cut him (S&T options again, along with packaging a guy like ... BUckner? or such), but that would have meant we woud have had to swallow his contract, but it could have been done really.
I don't see how francis gets any playing time here unless devin or jet is moved, none. In fact I don't think he'll be terribly happy in houston either.

Quote:
I just don´t see us really WILLING to change something. And that gives me kind of a headache. We´re just pretending to be players on the market.
You say this but nothing on the market (except maybe thomas) is worth having unless you are willing to trade a starter.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #43
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Thanks for explaining me the mechanics of the game, but actually I know pretty well what I´m talking about.

I don´t say I´m in favour of such a move, it´s just that claiming there were no moves out theere that could have given us any of the pieces going elsewhere is not true.

On a side note - we´re in the cap regions where we are because of Long High Term Contracts like Erick Dampier, Jason Terry et al ... it´s not like our management was expecially reluctant to make bad moves in the past.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:08 PM   #44
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Kurt Thomas aint that expensive, he´s making roughly Jason Terry and Josh Howard money. But after looking it up, Phoenix wouldnt have taken anybody in return in a S&T, Thomas was in his last year anyways, so they wouldnt have saved anything by such a move. So skip that proposal. I just don´t see why Phoenix deals away Thomas AND two first rounders in his last year instead of just cutting him.

Oh, and before someone jumps out and is so kind to explain it to me, I of course understand the benefit of a 8 mill trade exception, I just wouldnt give up 2 first rounders myself to get it.

Last edited by seelenjaeger; 07-22-2007 at 08:12 PM.
seelenjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:23 PM   #45
MavelousJake

MavelousJake will become famous soon enoughMavelousJake will become famous soon enough

I did a short interview with Mark Cuban about this topic which I'll be posting soon, and his opinion he says he's very happy with how the Mavs have handled their off season so far. I have to say that I believe him, and its clear that the topic of this thread is something he believes 100%

jake
jake@mavelo.us
www.mavelo.us
MavelousJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:41 PM   #46
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kurt Thomas aint that expensive, he´s making roughly Jason Terry and Josh Howard money. But after looking it up, Phoenix wouldnt have taken anybody in return in a S&T, Thomas was in his last year anyways, so they wouldnt have saved anything by such a move. So skip that proposal. I just don´t see why Phoenix deals away Thomas AND two first rounders in his last year instead of just cutting him.

Oh, and before someone jumps out and is so kind to explain it to me, I of course understand the benefit of a 8 mill trade exception, I just wouldnt give up 2 first rounders myself to get it.
They would have to continue to pay his salary and it would have counted against their cap I would expect. So the only way to get rid of his salary was to deal him.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:58 PM   #47
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavelousJake
I did a short interview with Mark Cuban about this topic which I'll be posting soon, and his opinion he says he's very happy with how the Mavs have handled their off season so far. I have to say that I believe him, and its clear that the topic of this thread is something he believes 100%

jake
jake@mavelo.us
www.mavelo.us

Um....ok

www.mavelo.us
Quote:
I’ve spent the past twelve years as a writer and executive at various media properties. I’ve been a Mavericks fan since the day they drafted Dirk Nowitzki. One of the things that I’ve always looked for was a place for the community of Mavs fans not just to get together and comment on the games via a forum, but also to be able to share photos and audio, tell their own story in their blogs, and even post video. So I created Mavelous.

You can reach me via e-mail at jake@mavelo.us
If you wouldn't mind telling us which media properties.....

Welcome to d-m.com, oh btw
Old 07-23-2007, 11:03 AM   #48
MavelousJake

MavelousJake will become famous soon enoughMavelousJake will become famous soon enough

I worked at radio in Pittsburgh, a national newspaper based in Los Angeles, which I left to come back to Dallas to enjoy more of a family life. I currently consult media across the country for an LA-based media consulting firm.

None of them were and are directly related to sports.
MavelousJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #49
Knickfan

Knickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I hope we don´t do another Doug Christie disaster move by trying to get Eddie Jones or some other semi-crippled old guy, but I do think that it´s a bad bad sign that Dallas seems to be "in the mix" for pretty much everyone, but also losing out on everyone.
I agree with you on this one, taking Eddie Jones would be a bad move to me BUT I don't think Francis would have been a good one either. Actually I think that would be worse than Eddie Jones. Kurt Thomas would be a decent low post player but at this point in his career is Thomas really worth $16M??? If they could use their exception for someone like Thomas (which they couldn't) but not for that much and for a few years no less just can't say I agree with that.

I just really don't see what was out there for Dallas to really make any significant moves. I just don't see it. If they could have added Grant Hill, that would have been nice. If they could have gotten Wallace that would have been nice also but other than that, there's really not much that's going to make that pick of an impact on them.

Right now getting Webber seems to be the ONLY move they can make that COULD help the Mavs. Webber is more of a low post player, if he plays like he did in the playoffs then definately. He's shown that he can play when he's NOT the main guy. With Dirk, Howard and others, I think Webber would work in well with this team. Other than that, I could understand if the Mavs don't do much. As someone said earlier, if they only win 50+ games this year, that's not so bad either! So if everyone's goal is to win 70+ games and get knocked out of the playoffs then I can understand why anyone would be upset that the Mavs haven't made very many moves but I don't see anything wrong with trying to hold together what they have, it's not like they were THAT bad last year.

Last edited by Knickfan; 07-23-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Knickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #50
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

Let's chase Webber!!!
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:36 PM   #51
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Mavs are still one of the favorites IMO, along with SA and PHO. I think it all depends on Dirk though. It can happen if he plays like he did in the 06 playoffs, up until the Finals.
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:07 PM   #52
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

Remember Sam Perkin's final days with the Sonics? That was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickfan
Even as Dirk's quickness starts declining, he'll still have a slight advantage over most. That doesn't really worry me too much and the reality of it is, as Dirk gets older, he's going to become MORE of a perimeter player and NO ONE will take their seven footer away from the basket.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:13 AM   #53
Knickfan

Knickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the rough

Well actually I didn't mind Sam Perkins when he was aging and was just a perimeter player BUT Perkins was NEVER as versatile as Dirk was, even when Perkins was in his prime. So his aging would be slightly different than Dirks atleast in my opinion.
Knickfan is offline   Reply With Quote