Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-14-2006, 01:18 PM   #41
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Injured Arenas won't play in worlds

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas strained his groin during practice and won't play for the United States at the world championships.

Arenas was hurt Monday, leaving him unable to compete for a spot on the 12-player roster.

"We know Gilbert is really disappointed,'' team managing director Jerry Colangelo said. "He's done a great job. "It's an unfortunate situation, but he is not going to be able to continue on.''

With of Arenas out, the U.S. must cut one of its 13 remaining players before the worlds. The Americans play an exhibition game Tuesday against South Korea and open the worlds against Puerto Rico on Saturday in Sapporo, Japan.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2006, 02:20 PM   #42
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom
I STILL think Dwight Howard is going to be the best player in the league within 5 years...
I love d12 but that will be lebron. He might challenge bron as far as value soon but he will never be better.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #43
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

dwight howard will be the best big man in 1-2 years

which makes him the most valuable

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:46 PM   #44
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Not necesarrily. Hakeem was the best big man when mj was in the league but he wasnt the most valuable. Lebron is that kind of talent.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #45
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not willing to compare LeBron to Jordan yet.. honestly, I don't think he'll ever be a player in the Jordan mold.. that player in the 2003 draft is Carmelo Anthony.

I think at the end of his career LeBron is going to be a pretty close replica of Dominique Wilkins or Clyde Drexler, but never close to Jordan.

OTOH, I feel like Dwight Howard is going to be one of the top 5 big men EVER if he keeps improving at this rate..
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:04 PM   #46
Five-ofan
Guru

You think melo is gonna be better than Lebron? Let me restate that you think melo is gonna be THAT much better than lebron? Have you lost it. Lebron is already better than nique and glyde. I loved glyde but lebron is already better than either of those guys ever was. He is THE most talented player in nba history.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:36 PM   #47
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Bowen got cut.

SEOUL, South Korea -- Bruce Bowen was the final player cut from the U.S. basketball team, which begins play in the World Championships in Japan on Saturday.

"It's difficult especially when you get down to the end because you get so attached to the last members of the team. Gilbert and Bruce are every bit a part of this team as the 12 others guys. It's just we can only go forward with 12." Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski

The final 12-man roster was announced Wednesday by USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo and coach Mike Krzyzewski and included Carmelo Anthony, Shane Battier, Chris Bosh, Elton Brand, Kirk Hinrich, Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Antawn Jamison, Joe Johnson, Brad Miller, Chris Paul and Dwyane Wade.
When Bowen, who plays for San Antonio and is one of the top defensive players in the league, was selected to be part of the national team roster, Colangelo and Krzyzewski singled him out as the type of role player the U.S. squad had been lacking in recent poor international showings.
But Bowen scored just four points while playing four of the five tuneup games and had been outplayed by Battier, another defensive-minded small forward who made the cut.
After Gilbert Arenas dropped out with a strained groin earlier in the week, that all but assured a spot for Chicago's Hinrich because the team needed another point guard behind rookie of the year Paul.
Bowen and Arenas remain part of the national team program and are still in the pool of players who will compete for spot on the 2008 Olympic team.
"This has been a great process. It's difficult especially when you get down to the end because you get so attached to the last members of the team. Gilbert and Bruce are every bit a part of this team as the 12 others guys. It's just we can only go forward with 12," Krzyzewski said.
The average age of the 12 U.S. players is 24½ years old, with the 30-year-old Miller the oldest member of the team. Howard, at 20, is the youngest.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:58 PM   #48
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I loved glyde but lebron is already better than either of those guys ever was. He is THE most talented player in nba history.
You might want to tap the breaks JUST a bit.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:31 PM   #49
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't gone to the skirts boards but I can bet they are whining about how their little town gets not respect. Only "big market" teams.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:59 AM   #50
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You think melo is gonna be better than Lebron? Let me restate that you think melo is gonna be THAT much better than lebron? Have you lost it. Lebron is already better than nique and glyde. I loved glyde but lebron is already better than either of those guys ever was. He is THE most talented player in nba history.

I meant Melo is cut more in the mold of Jordan.. he'll be a scorer in his early career and that's about all as far as team play goes, but he'll also slowly learn the value of team and develop a very well-rounded game. Where did I say he's better than LeBron? I said they play the same game. And all accounts indicate that LeBron is going to be closer to a guy like Drexler, or Magic Johnson than Jordan.

If hype decided how good a player is, LeBron is already the best of all-time. But Grant Hill is right up there as well, and we all saw how THAT turned out.

And btw, the most talented player in NBA history is Jordan. End of story. LeBron might be a better athlete, but Jordan as a rookie was a better defender than LeBron will EVER be. So LeBron might go down in history as the most athletic scorer ever (though Kobe will have a LOT to say about that and at this stage has had 1000x better a career than LeBron), but his defensive IQ is very low at this point and he's never going to be the WINNER Jordan is. Michael Jordan at this stage of his NBA career (second year) would have won a title with the Cavs. Absolutely.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:00 AM   #51
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
He did say most TALENTED player in NBA history, not BEST player, but I agree that that might be overdoing it. I do think Lebron has the potential to be the best player in NBA history by the end of his career.

As for spreedom thinking Melo>Lebron, all I'll say is that I think that is a crazy statement and there is no way Melo will end up being more like Jordan than Lebron.

I do agree that D.Howard will be the best big man in the league in 1-2 years, but he won't be better than Lebron.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:22 AM   #52
D-Ball

D-Ball will become famous soon enough

2006 World Championship starters:
PG - Chris Paul
SG - Dwyane Wade
SF - Lebron James
PF - Elton Brand
C - Brad Miller

2008 Olympic starting lineup:
PG - Chauncey Billups
SG - Dwyane Wade
SF - Lebron James
PF - Dwight Howard
C - Chris Bosh
Old 08-17-2006, 01:58 AM   #53
D-Ball

D-Ball will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom
I'm not willing to compare LeBron to Jordan yet.. honestly, I don't think he'll ever be a player in the Jordan mold.. that player in the 2003 draft is Carmelo Anthony.

I think at the end of his career LeBron is going to be a pretty close replica of Dominique Wilkins or Clyde Drexler, but never close to Jordan.

OTOH, I feel like Dwight Howard is going to be one of the top 5 big men EVER if he keeps improving at this rate..
Lebron James wouldn't be compared to Jordan anyway. If there is a player who plays like Jordan, it is Kobe Bryant.

My point is Lebron is unique. It is natural to try and label a new player with an old comparison. However, I don't see a comparison that works. Can you find a player who is physically commanding as he is with the explosive drives to the basket and his court vision?

Karl Malone - 6-9, 250 pounds.
Juwan Howard - 6-9, 240 pounds.
Ben Wallace - 6-9, 240 pounds.
Lebron James - 6-8, 240 pounds.
Charles Oakley - 6-8, 225 pounds.
Grant Hill - 6-8, 225 pounds.
Antonio Davis - 6-9, 215 pounds.
Magic Johnson - 6-9, 215 pounds.
Oscar Robertson - 6-5, 205 pounds.
Julius Erving - 6-6, 200 pounds.
Kobe Bryant - 6-6, 200 pounds.
Michael Jordan - 6-6, 195 pounds.
Penny Hardaway - 6-7, 195 pounds.

Okay, I think I can stop there. The point is could you imagine Karl Malone with as much grace and speed as Michael Jordan? Me neither. In that way, he is much like Magic Johnsnon and Oscar Robertson that they had exceptional basketball skill coupled with size at their position that was unmatched. But the comparison beyond that is incomplete. Magic was never the scorer that Lebron has become and Lebron has never been the rebounder Magic was. Oscar is giving up 3 inches and over 35 pounds to Lebron, and Robertson proudly declares that he never dunked.

If I had to make a comparison - the body of Ben Wallace (quickness, explosion, strength, length) and the game of Grant Hill (passing, rebounding, graceful). The only difference between Hill and James is Grant Hill was asked by the coaching staff to control the game through his passing and rebounding because that is where his talents lay. James came into the NBA determined to make his weakness a strength and that is why he scores more.

Last edited by D-Ball; 08-17-2006 at 02:01 AM.
D-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:44 AM   #54
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

That's a good point D-Ball, that's very interesting. I never though about it like that before. I still think he plays like Jordan, even if he's bigger.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 08-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #55
spreedom
Diamond Member

Some very good points there!

Btw, D-Ball, I really hope you're wrong about Bosh being a starter at the 5-spot.. that guy has ZERO post presence and it doesn't look like his jumper has been falling so far in the exhibition games..
Old 08-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #56
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Kobe might play in the 2008 Olympics. Would be interesting to see who comes off the bench at SG/SF?!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:35 PM   #57
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
Kobe might play in the 2008 Olympics. Would be interesting to see who comes off the bench at SG/SF?!

I'm pretty sure the starting lineup will be something like:

PG - Hinrich
SG - Kobe
SF - Melo
PF - LeBron
C - Howard

Now THAT is a team that will be distributing major spankings to the rest of the world...
Old 08-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #58
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
Kg you know i respect your opinions alot and if i had said he was the best player ever then i would need to tap the breaks alot but who do you think was more talented? Chris webber and jordan are the only comparisons among players that i saw alot of as far as physical talent.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:01 PM   #59
Five-ofan
Guru

BTW, i love d12 but top 5 big man of all time? Who is he gonna surpass iyo, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Duncan, or Hakeem? He is essentially hakeem physically with no post moves. Those guys arent the cut and dried top 5 just my opinion. You could add Drob, Russell, and moses and no one would be disappointed if he wasnt better than those guys.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #60
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I've always thought the closest thing to comparing Lebron with anyone would be Magic in the sense that they are have so much verstaility to play all sorts of positions, natural athletic talent, amazing offensive feel for the game, but Lebron is a little overated on defense. I think I just see the power of Magic exagerrated a bit though because Magic was large for his position while Lebron is just plain powerful. The kid will turn into one of the best, how high up there? I think he can topple Jordan, he has a lot of time to prove me right. If he improves his D he will be way closer but I think he could blow Jordan away with his offensive game in time.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #61
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

chris paul is the starting pg for that 2008 team, that guy is amazing

Contact Me
Old 08-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #62
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

James, Anthony, Wade named Team USA captains

August 17, 2006

SAPPORO, JAPAN (TICKER) -- A trio from the Class of 2003 will serve as the leaders of Team USA in the World Championships.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski announced on Thursday that LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade - three of the first five picks in the 2003 draft - have been named as captains of the United States team.

"It was a pretty easy decision to select those three guys," Krzyzewski said. "From the very start they have asserted themselves and showed leadership through how hard they worked, their cooperation and the fact that they wanted to be like everyone else. They didn't come in as stars, they came in as members of the team. Everyone looks up to them and they look up to them even more now because they have set such a good example."

In the United States' five exhibition wins, the trio ranked as the team's top three scorers. Anthony averaged 16.8 points, James posted 15.8 points and Wade added 12.2 points and 4.0 assists.

"We, as in myself, LeBron and Dwyane are honored," said Anthony, who was selected by the Denver Nuggets with the third overall pick in 2003. "We're experienced, we know what we have to do to succeed. I know it means more responsibilities, so we have to go out there and take care of business on and off the court."

James and Anthony were members of the 2004 Olympic team which won a bronze medal. But both did not play much under former Team USA coach Larry Brown.

"To not have had the best experience in 2004 and to now be the captain on the 2006 World Champonship team, well, this means a lot," said James, the No. 1 overall pick by the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2003. "I'm very excited about being a captain because I am a leader. It's a big responsibility for us three being captains and going out and representing our country in the right way."

Wade helped the Miami Heat win an NBA title in just his third season after being selected fifth overall in the 2003 draft.

"To be one of the young guys with LeBron and Carmelo, and for us to be named captains and to help lead the way means a lot to us," Wade said. "Being a captain means being a leader at all times, when things are great and when things are bad - always being a leader."

Team USA will begin play in the preliminary round of the World Championships against Puerto Rico on Saturday in Sapporo.

Krzyzewski on Wednesday announced the official 12-player roster. Forward Bruce Bowen, a defensive specialist from the San Antonio Spurs, was the final cut on a team loaded with athletic forwards.

James and Anthony headline the forwards along with Chris Bosh of the Toronto Raptors, Elton Brand of the Los Angeles Clippers, Antawn Jamison of the Washington Wizards and Shane Battier of the Houston Rockets.

Bosh was also a member of the Class of 2003 as the fourth overall pick.

Wade will be flanked in the backcourt by New Orleans Hornets point guard Chris Paul, Chicago Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich and Atlanta Hawks sharpshooter Joe Johnson.

Dwight Howard of the Orlando Magic and Brad Miller of the Scramento Kings are the centers.

In the World Championships, Team USA is in Group D with Puerto Rico, China, Senegal, Slovenia and Olympic silver medalist Italy, which routed the Americans in an exhibition prior to the 2004 Games.

In 2002, the U.S. finished an embarrassing sixth at the World Championships, losing an astonishing three times despite the presence of NBA stars. It was more of the same at the 2004 Olympics, where the Americans lost three more games and settled for the bronze medal.

Only the winner of the 24-team World Championships and the Olympic hosts automatically qualify for the 2008 Games in Beijing. If Team USA does not win the World Championships - which it has not done since 1994 - it must qualify through the 2007 FIBA Tournament of the Americas in Venezuela.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #63
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Bruce Bowen: Left Off World Championship Roster

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Thursday, August 17, 2006

Update: Bowen was left off the national team's roster for the World Championships, the San Antonio Express-News reports.

Recommendation: This wasn't much of a surprise as Bowen had played the fewest minutes among the 14 players brought to Asia for the team's five exhibition games.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:45 PM   #64
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

U.S. ready to make run for world gold in Japan

By ANDREW BAGNATO, AP Sports Writer
August 17, 2006

SAPPORO, Japan (AP) -- After mowing down five exhibition opponents by an average of 34 points, the U.S. is ready to re-establish ownership of international basketball.

The exhibitions demonstrated that the Americans are treating the world championships as the start of a larger mission that, if all goes as planned, will culminate in a gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

But first comes the world championships, which have long been emphasized by foreign teams and overlooked in the United States.

"You have to understand to some of these players this is their NBA championship, this is their ultimate goal -- to win these games," forward Elton Brand said. "This is as important as any game they have played so we have to take it as that also."

The U.S. flew to Sapporo on Thursday from Seoul, where it wrapped up a 5-0 exhibition schedule with a 116-63 victory over South Korea. The Americans appeared loose during a light evening workout at Sapporo Arena.

"We're not overconfident," coach Mike Krzyzewski said after Thursday's practice. "We respect every one of these teams. Who's to say who's the best teams? We certainly haven't seen all of them."

Opposing teams certainly will see plenty of Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade -- named team captains on Thursday by Krzyzewski.

"It's a big responsibility for us three being captains and going out and representing our country in the right way," James said in a USA Basketball statement. "You've got to show leadership on the court and off the court, and you've got to show responsibility."

The first order of business will be Puerto Rico in Saturday's opener. The U.S. is 7-1 against the Puerto Ricans in world championship play and defeated them 114-69 in an Aug. 3 exhibition in Las Vegas.

The Americans made it look easy in a five-game exhibition sweep of China, South Korea, Puerto Rico and Lithuania (twice). China and Puerto Rico are in the Americans' Group D, along with Senegal, Italy and Slovenia. After a week of round-robin play, the top four teams advance to the knockout round at Saitama, near Tokyo.

"The level of play is going to pick up, intensity is going to pick up, and we have to do the same," guard Kirk Hinrich said.

Krzyzewski stressed defense during the exhibition tour, and the U.S. limited opponents to 40 percent shooting and just under 76 points a game. The Americans had 74 steals and 17 blocked shots.

Hinrich said the U.S. is intent on "setting the tone defensively and forcing our will on every team we play."

The best defenses develop over time as players learn to work as a team. The Americans are still adjusting to each other on defense, but Krzyzewski is pleased with the effort.

"Our guys have not had one minute where we haven't played hard defensively, so that's there," he said. "There's a little bit of familiarity to be developed. I would like our guys, if they are beaten on the drive, to rely a little bit more on our shot-blocking ability. Hopefully we won't get beaten too much by the dribble."

Starting with James, Wade and Anthony, the U.S. has plenty of players who can beat opponents off the dribble. But the U.S. also has to prove it can score consistently against zone defenses, which international teams have deployed to try to force the Americans to shoot from the perimeter.

That's been a weakness for the Americans in recent years, but this team has shot better. The Americans shot 41 percent from beyond the 3-point arc during the exhibition series. In the 2004 Olympics, the U.S. shot 31 percent from 3-point range on its way to a disappointing bronze medal.

Anthony, the team's leading scorer, and Antawn Jamison each hit 8-of-17 three-pointers (47 percent). Brad Miller is 6-of-7 (86 percent) and Wade 4-of-7 (57 percent) from beyond the arc.

"We've shot the ball very well," Krzyzewski said. "We do have really good shooters on the team. Carmelo has been unbelievable. I guess on any night or any afternoon something can change, but we feel that we have good outside shooting."

If the U.S. can keep hitting shots, it will be tough to beat in this tournament.

Expectations for U.S. basketball are always high. But with five confidence-building exhibitions behind them, the team's own expectations are soaring as the tournament tips off.

"I don't think any of us will be satisfied until we can play well and hopefully win the gold," Shane Battier said.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:22 PM   #65
Five-ofan
Guru

The problem with the comparison to magic is that magic wasnt that athletic relative to nba players. Especially relative to todays players and lebron is just a freak. There is no real comparison for him.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:44 PM   #66
alby
Guru

question

is lebron more skillful or more athletic?

i believe MJ was the only player in history where his skills were as good as his athleticsm

Contact Me
Old 08-18-2006, 11:45 AM   #67
Five-ofan
Guru

Lebron is extremely skilled as well as extremely athletic. He is a better rebounder and passer than jordan as well as being a better shooter. Defensively jordan was better but lebron has shown an ability to defend extremely well when he decides to. Jordan was the same way. He took HUGE stretches off defensively but could D up late. Lebron isnt as good at the Ding up late but i bet he will be close eventually. I bet lebron ends up being better but he needs to win a couple of rings before the comparison can begin to be made.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:07 PM   #68
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Cool

Quote:
Lebron is extremely skilled as well as extremely athletic. He is a better rebounder and passer than jordan as well as being a better shooter. Defensively jordan was better but lebron has shown an ability to defend extremely well when he decides to. Jordan was the same way. He took HUGE stretches off defensively but could D up late. Lebron isnt as good at the Ding up late but i bet he will be close eventually. I bet lebron ends up being better but he needs to win a couple of rings before the comparison can begin to be made.
Exactly, 5-0, you finally nailed it. Until he wins a few rings let's tap the breaks on Lebron (talent, athleticism, just overall play or whatever it is!) before we compare him to the greatest, let alone conferring him as the greatest already!!

Potential is good but production and only production over long periods of time can be used while comparing anyone to the greatest of all times. Lebron hasn't been in the league nearly long enough to earn that right yet.

Last year, people were talking of Amare as arguably the most-talented big-man ever. Just a year later, now it's Dwight Howard?!
Old 08-18-2006, 01:10 PM   #69
alby
Guru

we are professional sports fans living in america, we like to overhype things. comeon now, u know how things work =]

Contact Me
Old 08-18-2006, 01:33 PM   #70
V2M
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
we are professional sports fans living in america, we like to overhype things. comeon now, u know how things work =]
Yes, I should know that... just that every once in a while, I have a memory lapse... thanks for that knock on my head!
Old 08-19-2006, 02:18 AM   #71
alby
Guru

PR's two marquee big men were in foul trouble, ayuso left with an injury, arroyo sat the 4th quarter

and the US only won by 10?
and gave up 101 points in 40 mins of basketball?

sigh.

Contact Me
Old 08-19-2006, 02:27 AM   #72
spreedom
Diamond Member

Why so negative? The US was COMPLETELY coasting for the last nine minutes of the game.. and we're still a team that's only been together for a few weeks. After about 2 minutes gone by in the second quarter, we mostly controlled the pace of the game and never really let Puerto Rico threaten a lead. In the third quarter, we absolutely pummeled them, and rested most of our top 7 players for the last 14 minutes.

Not to mention this is still exhibition.. I see a lot of the games going a lot like this, where the final score makes the game look closer than it really was.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:45 AM   #73
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

SCOREBOARD...he says.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #74
alby
Guru

its not exhibition, last night was game 1 of the world basketball championships =]

Contact Me
Old 08-19-2006, 11:36 AM   #75
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

And the US won.. that's fine to me.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:54 AM   #76
spreedom
Diamond Member

Wow, I definitely made a huge typo last night.. of course it isn't exhibition! I guess I really needed some sleep!
Old 08-19-2006, 12:47 PM   #77
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

So if the USA and Germany both get past their groups, when would they play each other?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #78
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Im more interested in when Germany plays Spain, I hope Dirk crushes Pau but it will be diffcult since Pau has a lot more help on his team. It will come down to the guards.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:05 AM   #79
V2M
Diamond Member

U.S. 121, China 90
By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer
August 20, 2006

SAPPORO, Japan (AP) -- The United States hardly gave Yao Ming a chance.

Using a swarming defense and their huge advantage in depth to make life miserable for China and its All-Star center, the Americans rolled to a 121-90 victory Sunday night to remain unbeaten at the world championships.

ADVERTISEMENT
Dwyane Wade scored 26 points for the Americans, who needed less than four minutes to build their first double-digit lead and led by as many as 36. Carmelo Anthony and Dwight Howard had 16 points each, Chris Paul 13 and LeBron James 11.

The U.S. headed into Group D's off day with a 2-0 record, tied with Italy for first place. China (0-2) is tied with Senegal at the bottom. The top four teams in the six-team pool advance.

Yao led China with 21 points, but the Americans made him work for all of them. He had only one field goal in the first half, when the game was decided, and finished 5-of-8 from the field before fouling out with 6:08 remaining.

Yao didn't play in the Americans' 119-73 victory in this month's exhibition game at Guangzhou, China, because he was recovering from a broken left foot. His return in time for this tournament gave plenty of hope to the Chinese, who had a large contingent of fans at the game waving flags and holding large pictures of Yao.

The 7-foot-5 center predicted China would advance out of pool play -- he was quoted in a story in the China Daily before the tournament as saying, "China will enter the last 16, I promise." Then he scored 30 points in China's opening loss to Italy.

But the U.S. never let him be a factor when the game was still in doubt, delivering a couple of hard fouls when he had a clear path to the basket and even playing two centers together at times. Still not fully fit, Yao didn't even make it across midcourt at times after Chinese turnovers.

Meanwhile, the Americans displayed the balance that makes them one of the tournament favorites, with coach Mike Krzyzewski using all 12 players in the first half.

Leading by 14 points midway through the second quarter, the Americans used a 12-0 run to break open the game and build a 54-28 lead.

Wade then scored the Americans' final 11 points of the half, including a drive just before the buzzer that gave the U.S. a 63-38 lead. China had more turnovers (12) than baskets (11) in the first 20 minutes.

Yao hit a jumper to open the third and Wang Shipeng scored the next eight points as the Chinese pulled within 63-48, but James scored seven points during a 10-3 surge that pushed the lead back to 22, and the Americans were never threatened again.

The United States improved to 5-0 in world championships play against China, the Asian champion. Wang added 17 points for China.