Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-21-2009, 11:05 PM   #41
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch I just saw the mavs score...I must admit between LOST and the Stars game I didn't catch much of it. I saw Dirk hurt his finger or something and then never went back.....I'm going to be hiding in here tonight. go lost!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #42
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking about the woman in the last scene, but come to think of it...who the hell was the woman in the butcher shop?

i'm so fn confused....this is why i restrict myself to commentary on kate's cleavage and charlotte's carpet.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #43
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Charlotte or her carpet is long for this world...or...wherever...whenever they are.

Did it move geographically as well? I'd really like that answered. Hawkings computer seemed to confirm it.

I'll post some screen shots in a little while. I have to attend to wifely matters. (no, not that)
Old 01-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #44
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

is there a way to watch it online tonight or do I have to wait until tomorrow?
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #45
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I would imagine you'd have to wait until tomorrow to watch it online....

Now get out of here, you shouldn't read anything going on in here right now.

So...that was amazing. That was what this show has been building towards. This little show that started out with people trying to find water and food is finally reaching the heights that only Cuse and Lindelof knew it would when they set out on this journey. It's finally what it should be: A full throttle Science Fiction show with crazy pacing and every second is filled with pertinent information and plot development. It's a show that you must have your thinking cap on to watch, and you must have an open mind and a razor sharp attention span to get everything out of it that you should. Also, you still probably have to watch each episode 2 or 3 times. This show is really getting good now.

-They've painted themselves into quite a corner with the Oceanic 6; But that's what they want me to think. Hurley is going to jail. Sayid is back to hating Ben again (for some reason to be named later). Kate doesn't want anything to do with these two yahoos (Ben and Jack) and Sun is really busy with her own stuff. How in the hell is Ben going to get them (apparently in the next 70 hours?) to go back? He's Ben. He always has a plan.

-Who was the lady in the butcher shop? She seemed awfully "in the know"

-Mrs. Hawking...wtf? She's apparently some kind of brilliant mathematician and knows as much about the properties of the island as anyone (or more) than we've met so far. The little * marks on her map...They look like probable island locations. I love how they've camped the majority of this in something that could be at least fictionally considered "scientific".

-Desmond. They could have easily ended his story line, but they stuck with him. And it made sense as soon as Daniel said it. He said that Desmond was special. That the rules didn't apply to him. This radical and far-out idea actually sounded like a bit of sense from this chaotic mess, as we've been pre-conditioned to know that Desmond is indeed very different from everyone else. Daniel may have saved them all a good 4, 5 or 6 years before it actually happens.

-The writers laid out their rules for time travel. Thank you. Are you watching, Heroes writers? You sorry bunch of idiots? LOST makes no mistake in explaining (maybe the only thing that was explained tonight) that things are the way they are. They're not going to be changed...unless it's Desmond. I can dig it.

-The Richard Alpert scene....What a WTF scene that was. First of all...lets say that this incarnation of John Locke that we're currently following...let's say his narrative does eventually lead him to telling some future Richard that he was hurt and sitting by the plane...ummm...How does Richard then go back in time, purposefully to help John and give him the compass? Hmm?

-Richard told Locke he'd have to die to make it all happen the right way. WHY????

-Why are the 815ers, Juliet, AND the freighter folk the ones that are skipping through time? Why (according to Richard) do "the Others" not do that? We're still presuming that with "the others" are many of the people that were pulled from the tail section of the plane?

-Miles using his bizarro gift to find a dead boar...funny.

-People in military uniforms, with blades and flaming arrows. I thought immediately of the "US Army knife" found by Ana Lucia. Then the dude started in with his British accent. So much for that. But still...what time period is that? The dude called it "our island".

What were islands in the pacific used for in the era of the dudes uniform? Nuclear testing?

The Mrs Hawking thing is the most vexing of all. What is her history? I badly want to know now. How does Ben know her? She indicated that if they don't go back, there would be repercussions for people not on the island...presumably...everywhere?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #46
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

ms. hawking...oh yeah, thanks for the memory reboot....

My thought last night was that the hostiles/others don't skip through time in the same fashion as the 815 guys because they're "part" of the island, like they're a permanent fixture on the island not an addition to the island from some specific point in time...

....but yeah, aren't there still some "tailies" with the others? If my answer correct, then why aren't they skipping through time?

Sun seemed really dark last night....like something a little more sinister is brewing underneath.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #47
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET.

So, the one thing i was thinking after the episode ended - They made a huge point about saying that you couldn't change the past if that even didn't happen. So that leads us to believe that locke/sawyer/juliet had already killed those dharma (i guess they were dharma) people in the past. So what if locke/sawyer/juliet are actually the first "hostiles"?

As for richard knowing where john was - i took it to be that John will jump into the past, meet richard, and explain everything to richard.

One last question - was that compass one of the things richard showed to child john in that episode last year?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #48
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
So, the one thing i was thinking after the episode ended - They made a huge point about saying that you couldn't change the past if that even didn't happen. So that leads us to believe that locke/sawyer/juliet had already killed those dharma (i guess they were dharma) people in the past. So what if locke/sawyer/juliet are actually the first "hostiles"?
umm....wait, so....huh?

time travel makes my head hurt and it makes my nose bleed.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #49
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
I do not think those were DHARMA people. It looked like some kind of old timey Army type uniforms to me. Which makes it very interesting that the bloke (I think he was British) said "our island"

Quote:
As for richard knowing where john was - i took it to be that John will jump into the past, meet richard, and explain everything to richard.
I took it that way too...but then Richard said (paraphrasing) "our people didn't move John, you did" as if to say that this Richard is the Richard from the end of last season....? I don't know.

Quote:
One last question - was that compass one of the things richard showed to child john in that episode last year?
Yup.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #50
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, but they had nametags with what appeared to be their first names. That was dharma-ish to me.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #51
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

You people are making my head explode.

edit: I FRAKING LOVE THIS SHOW. Every little thing means something. Even the names of the characters. Details. Details.

Last edited by nikeball; 01-22-2009 at 10:39 AM.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #52
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
yeah, but they had nametags with what appeared to be their first names. That was dharma-ish to me.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #53
alexamenos
Diamond Member

that's not dharma-wear.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #54
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

nevermind, it's last names. I could have sworn one dude had his first name on there. so not dharma-wear. But they could be still. who knows. But we'll find out (maybe next season)!

So THAT'S where don mattingly has been all these years!

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-22-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #55
alexamenos
Diamond Member

also...I never got the feeling that any of the dharma folks were the kind to cut off a chick's hand just to show that they meant business when threatening to cut off the chick's second hand...they're more "let's all just get along" hippy peacenik types, and those guys that grabbed Sawyer and Juliette were pretty hard dudes.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #56
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

We can't rule anything out at this point.

wtf is going on!

The only thing I can see to draw (a very weak) line is that the dude spoke with a British accent and maybe that's connected to Widmore being on the island. I do believe we'll see Widmore on the island now that we're bouncing irreverently through time.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #57
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ah, great point! we know widmore (or someone associated with him) has been to the island before. My assumption had been that widmore was somehow associated with Dharma. But that may certainly not be the case. These guys definitely had the mercenary mindset...

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-22-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #58
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
We can't rule anything out at this point.

wtf is going on!

The only thing I can see to draw (a very weak) line is that the dude spoke with a British accent and maybe that's connected to Widmore being on the island. I do believe we'll see Widmore on the island now that we're bouncing irreverently through time.
I figure we'll get a little time with the original inhabitants from the black rock, too....
Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #59
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

also wanted to say that i LOVED hurley's recap of all that's happened in like 30 seconds. hilarious.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #60
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Not as good as his shirt!

(And seriously, finding a shirt that big in a gas station...that was the island, man!)

Last edited by Flacolaco; 01-22-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #61
alexamenos
Diamond Member

gotta get me a xxxl "I Heart My Shih-tzu" shirt....
Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #62
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Question: Did Ben hire the lawyers to dislodge Kate from her content little life with Aaron?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #63
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't Sun explain that whoever the lawyers worked for went to Kate solely for Aaron?

The purpose of the lawyers coming was to disprove the relation between Kate and Aaron, and I'm guessing...for whoever they work for to eventually get their hands on Aaron.

I'm not too sure that Ben has those intentions. Wouldn't he have tried harder to get the kid on the island then? (err, wait did he try hard to get Aaron on the island?)

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #64
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

What if Widmore is trying to do the same thing Ben is...what if Widmore is trying to round them up so that he can go back to the island...he's got Sun on his side...maybe he sent the lawyers to get Kate...the people shooting darts at Sayid could be Widmore's? /crazy theory

Who wants Aaron? That is weird.

I still lean towards all those things happening are Bens doing. Even Sun being in Los Angeles on business. Somehow Ben is moving the chess pieces...
Old 01-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #65
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

All I have to say is..... what the......?????

That was a mind blowing 2 hours. I have read through the responses in this thread.

Of all the things that "bother" me though is why in the world would Sun help Widmore? It was his people that killed Jin.

The only explanation now that I can think of is somehow Sun knows that Ben administered the death blow to Mr. Freightie that had the remote heart monitor on. And that would mean Mr. Bentham (Locke, of course) is the one that told her. So is Locke now anti-Ben?

Is this a three way "war"?

I knew that was the ring lady at the end. I think though we have seen her elsewhere..... wasn't she in the office when Juliet was being punished or whatever on Other Island? Maybe I'm wrong about that.

My DVR didn't record the next week on Lost so I am on the lookout for a youtube video of it if anyone has it....
Old 01-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #66
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...y_knew_ya.html

Aaron Burr? Got Milk?
Old 01-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #67
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Here is the promo they showed at the end last night, u2.

http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/200...ead-promo.html

I wonder if Sun is trying to double cross Widmore, u2? I don't know. She seemed like the wild card in all of this...but who knows what Kate is going to do, and Hurley is messing things up. They're all wild cards at this point. Talk about discombobulation!
Old 01-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #68
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link flac.... DANG IT I CAN'T FLIPPING WAIT.

I bet if Kate says no, which she most certainly will since dreamClaire told her to not take Aaron back, they are going to make her go back. That would be kind of dark and make for an interesting twist. Plus I think it would be the nail in the coffin of the Kate/Jack relationship if that thing still has a chance of reviving.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #69
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I'm going to be surprised if they take Aaron back. Somehow I don't feel like he counts...where does a child fit into this kind of story telling anyway? And why would they (the writers) want to tie themselves down with having to account for the dang kid everywhere they go when they get back to the island? Maybe he disappears a la Claire when they get back.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #70
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

all I can say is, WOW!

going to rewatch these episodes sometime over the weekend..

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:52 PM   #71
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

If you have a few minutes, this guy from entertainment weekly always does a really nice recap. It's 6 pages long but it raises some interesting possibilities...

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1550...253904,00.html

My favorite of which is this tidbit...

Quote:
Ben asked Jack if Locke had spelled out exactly what had gone down on the Island after they left. Jack: Nope. Ben: ''Well, I guess we'll never know.'' Do you think the Machiavellian maestro is truly that clueless — or do you think he knows stuff and it serves his interest to make Jack think he doesn't? Think this through. The premiere gave us the answer to Ben's probing inquiry: After Jack and co. bailed, the remaining castaways started ricocheting through time. The opening sequence, in fact, revealed that at least Faraday is destined to make a stop in the mid-seventies Dharma Initiative past — perhaps right about the time Ben and his widowed father arrived on the Island. If this is where/when the season is going — if the rest of the time traveling castaways will be joining Faraday in the Dharma heyday — the implication is clear: Ben has probably known the castaways — or known about them — since he was a kid!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #72
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

That is interesting.

I want to know what the heck was in that package he(Ben) pulled out of the air vent when he was checking out of the Hotel. When I saw that all I could think of was No Country for Old Men.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:35 AM   #73
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do not think those were DHARMA people. It looked like some kind of old timey Army type uniforms to me. Which makes it very interesting that the bloke (I think he was British) said "our island"
Correct me if I'm wrong, because you probably pay more attention than I do, but I think they've gotta be Dharma people. Wasn't the last "time jump" in the episode the one after Richard talked to Locke? There weren't any after that, right? Well, after that one, the drug smuggler plane was still up on the cliff, so they can't have been that far back into the past.

Who else could they be?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-23-2009 at 03:45 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:44 AM   #74
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This little show that started out with people trying to find water and food is finally reaching the heights that only Cuse and Lindelof knew it would when they set out on this journey. I
From my general sense of things, I'm relatively certain that even Cuse and Lindelof really didn't know where the hell they were going during the first couple seasons.

Obviously they set the SciFi groundwork from the get-go, but my impression is that they really didn't have the finish line mapped out. About halfway through Season 3, the quality of this show suddenly jumped up several notches, and I don't think that timing was a coincidence. The show started becoming really good once those guys finally did figure out where the hell it was going.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-23-2009 at 03:46 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #75
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff. However, the major influx of time travel makes my head spin. I love the Desmond stuff, but it sure seems like they explained the rules of time travel and then broke them immediately by killing those people on the island.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #76
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Good stuff. However, the major influx of time travel makes my head spin. I love the Desmond stuff, but it sure seems like they explained the rules of time travel and then broke them immediately by killing those people on the island.
I am really struggling to explain this...I keep typing things and deleting it...

I disagree that killing those people breaks that rule. Before the wheel was ever turned, in the islands past, those soldier people were killed by some mysterious redneck, psycho, and fertility doctor they found out in the jungle.

I took Daniels explanation to be that they can only do what they are predestined to do. They've already technically done these things and it's probably already had an affect on their lives after the crash. Or, if you like, they cannot do anything that directly affects anything that they've seen in the islands future. Meaning that in the next few episodes, when, I assume they will see themselves, they couldn't talk to themselves, not even if they tried really hard.

Desmond seems to be the exception to this rule.

Although...the Ethan/Locke meeting. That seemed to have violated the rule because we saw no evidence that Ethan recognized Locke in season 1. Maybe he did and we just didn't know it.

Prediction: Locke travels back in time far enough to alert Richard of his existence and destiny before Locke is born on the mainland, and that's how Richard knew where to find him when he was a boy.

All of this we're seeing has already happened, so to speak.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 01-23-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #77
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
From my general sense of things, I'm relatively certain that even Cuse and Lindelof really didn't know where the hell they were going during the first couple seasons.

Obviously they set the SciFi groundwork from the get-go, but my impression is that they really didn't have the finish line mapped out. About halfway through Season 3, the quality of this show suddenly jumped up several notches, and I don't think that timing was a coincidence. The show started becoming really good once those guys finally did figure out where the hell it was going.
Cuse/Lindelof insist that the Adam/Eve skeletons from early season 1 will be a testament to exactly how much they knew from early on. I don't know exactly what I think about that.

The reason the show took such a dramatic turn towards finally moving the plot along in the middle of season 3 is because that's when they negotiated the end date with ABC. They then could finally move the story along at a quicker pace, not being afraid of having to stall indefinitely anymore.

But certainly I agree, I think they've been to some extent figuring this all out as they've gone along, at least until season 3. Jack yelling "we have to go back" and everything that's happened since...that's pretty strong evidence that at that point they had a loose road map to the end in hand.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #78
nikeball
Platinum Member

Quote:
My favorite of which is this tidbit...
That is what I thought at first. When Locke first traveled to the past and was shot by Ethan, I thought that he would bring him to Ben. There Locke would divulge everything that happened on the island. Ben would know or try to find out most of the people's life stories from this.

The other theory, where Ben meets the castaways as a kid seems plausible.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #79
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am really struggling to explain this...I keep typing things and deleting it...

I disagree that killing those people breaks that rule. Before the wheel was ever turned, in the islands past, those soldier people were killed by some mysterious redneck, psycho, and fertility doctor they found out in the jungle.

I took Daniels explanation to be that they can only do what they are predestined to do. They've already technically done these things and it's probably already had an affect on their lives after the crash. Or, if you like, they cannot do anything that directly affects anything that they've seen in the islands future. Meaning that in the next few episodes, when, I assume they will see themselves, they couldn't talk to themselves, not even if they tried really hard.

Desmond seems to be the exception to this rule.

Although...the Ethan/Locke meeting. That seemed to have violated the rule because we saw no evidence that Ethan recognized Locke in season 1. Maybe he did and we just didn't know it.

Prediction: Locke travels back in time far enough to alert Richard of his existence and destiny before Locke is born on the mainland, and that's how Richard knew where to find him when he was a boy.

All of this we're seeing has already happened, so to speak.
Nah, that doesn't work. By that logic, you could do anything in the past and it will, at that moment, have "already happened".

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #80
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I'm pretty sure that's what they're saying.

Tags
best show ever, best show on tv, excellent television, lost stubby, lost! lost! my precious!, wait - i'm lost