Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-22-2010, 02:44 AM   #161
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mvp View Post
my english is not perfect I konow but I still learn it.Sorry for my all grammar mistake.
chumdawg thanks for translation my words.
ya ya, its all good
Old 07-22-2010, 04:41 AM   #162
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
my english is not perfect I konow but I still learn it.Sorry for my all grammar mistake.
chumdawg thanks for translation my words.
Funny how your English seems to work just fine when you're lobbing insults at other posters...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:41 AM   #163
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Underdog-you are for me stinking s##t

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #164
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Underdog-you are for me stinking s##t
Thanks for proving my point...

(kinda)

Old 07-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #165
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Funny how your English seems to work just fine when you're lobbing insults at other posters...
I think that's the natural progression of learning a foreign language. "Where's the bathroom", "I don't speak English", "#@%$ you", "I was robbed by two men"...

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #166
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Good interview of Lin over at sfgate.com. This kid has his head on straight - I think his answers to the racism questions are funny. He always says something along the lines of "Yeah, I'm used to it by now" with the subtle implication of, "Can't you guys come up with more creative questions?" He sure didn't waste time feeling sorry for himself, so why is everyone else discussing the race factor? We all have challenges... the people that rise to the top are the ones that get over them without feeling sorry for themselves.

Quote:
Asked to compare himself to an NBA player, he chose Steve Nash's back-up with the Suns, Goran Dragic.
"Neither of us is a freak athlete, but we're both effective and know how to play the game."

Describe your style on the court.
"I'm a playmaker. I'm always attacking the rim and have somewhat of a reckless style. I try to be everywhere at once."

How soon after the draft did you hear from Donnie Nelson with the Mavericks about joining their summer-league team?
"Actually, he called me before the draft ended. Around the fifth to eighth pick, he called me, and I guess he already knew I wasn't going to be drafted."

When did the Warriors first show interest?
"I heard from my agent (Tuesday) around 4 or 5 in the afternoon. We hadn't made a decision yet. I hadn't really heard anything about that because I told my agent I didn't want to hear anything until it was final."

(Agent Roger Montgomery said the Warriors first called him about midway through the summer league, at about the same time the Lakers called.)

Do you feel prepared to play point guard in the NBA?
"I feel like I'm ready to play. I feel like my game is suitable for the NBA style, because I'm a slasher and there's a lot of pick-and-rolls."

Can you can keep up with NBA point guards defensively, especially the quicker ones?
"Yeah, I think being 6-4 with shoes and a pretty decent wingspan, I think I'll be all right."

When you heard from Donnie Nelson that early in the draft about coming to the summer league as an undrafted free agent, were you disappointed? What did you expect on draft night?
"I thought I was going to be a borderline, could potentially, could potentially not get drafted. It was obviously a very disappointing night for me, but looking back, it was the best situation for me, because I was able to be a free agent and to take offers from different teams."

How tough was it to pass on Dallas' offer after their GM was the one who gave you the shot and invited you to summer league?
"Donnie took care of me. He really took care of me. He really, really did. I'm not just saying that. And I'm really thankful to him. I actually am going to call him right after this."

Why do you think Donnie Nelson gave you that chance?
"He has a different type of vision than most people do. I think he saw something inside of me or my game at Portsmouth that he fell in love with. He's been saying consistently that he thought I need some time to develop before I was NBA-ready, but he saw potential in me. So I'm very thankful to him for that."

Some people don't like playing at home because there's so much pressure and attention. What about you?
"I'm just going to play my game and see where that takes me. And I'm not worried about filling shoes or meeting other people's expectations. That's never how I've approached the game."

Did you think you might go to the developmental league this season?
"During the process? Yeah, during the process you think about all the potential options. Overseas, D-League, NBA. ... There were times when that crossed my mind absolutely."

Is that still a possibility?
"It's always a possibility if you don't play well. It's always a possibility that you could get cut or waived. ... But that's not the attitude that I'm going to come into training camp with. I'm going to come in to ready to compete, ready to fight for my time, for my spot on the team."

You've said that you think of yourself as a basketball player more than as an Asian American player. But because you're here and the fan base has so many Asian Americans, do you understand how much impact you'll have?
"I don't think I fully understand it yet, but I think I will later on. I'm getting a glimpse of it right now."

What do you think about the sale of the team and the fact that you might be the first personnel move that involved the new owners?
"Well, I'm very thankful to the new ownership for giving me this opportunity. I know that this wouldn't have happened without their approval. .. In my opinion, I think they're doing a great job."

Stanford's Toby Gerhart ran into some stereotypes about being a white running back. Have you run into any of those things or talked to people about it?
"I actually roomed with Omar Samhan from St. Mary's. He was on Dallas with me. And we have very, very similar stories. Not really recruited out of high school and went on to have a pretty good college career and now we're back in that underdog role. ... So I got to talk to him a lot and he's been real supportive. It's nice to have someone to relate to."

Do you face Ivy League stereotypes?
"I feel like (if you hear) 'an Asian from Harvard,' if you think about that, you're not going to think, 'Oh, a player in the NBA.' I understand that. That's just the way it is."

What was the recruiting situation when you were coming out of high school?
"The Pac-10 schools wanted me to walk-on. The Ivy League schools, Harvard and Brown, were the two ones that really wanted me to go there and play for them. I was deciding mainly between those two conferences. ... I didn't really want to walk-on. I wanted to go somewhere the team wanted me. Not somewhere I'd have to go and potentially not have a spot on the team."

You had to pay the full tuition at Harvard?
"They don't offer athletic scholarships in the Ivy League. There's only financial aid based on need."

What was your grade-point average at Harvard?
Smiling: "My GPA was not a 4.2. That's been the rumor. It's not even possible. My friends have been absolutely killing me about that. I had a 3.1 at Harvard."

Last edited by iella; 07-22-2010 at 05:09 PM.
iella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #167
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
How hard is it to use the right "there"?
I'm guessing Matt Barnes would struggle with it.

"Its official I AM A LOS ANGLES LAKER. I wanna thank u for all ur patients and understanding. This is a dream come true!!! Good lookn Kobe,"

Really, Matt? Patients?
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #168
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
I'm guessing Matt Barnes would struggle with it.

"Its official I AM A LOS ANGLES LAKER. I wanna thank u for all ur patients and understanding. This is a dream come true!!! Good lookn Kobe,"

Really, Matt? Patients?
Didn't come up wrong on the spell-check, so it must be right!

Old 07-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #169
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Shawn Marion is another guy who makes me go WTF? when I read a tweet of his.... at least concerning punctuation. (most of the time)

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #170
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Didn't come up wrong on the spell-check, so it must be right!

It's awesome how spell-check has actually made Americans dumber. It's like Reality TV in that way.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #171
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
It's awesome how spell-check has actually made Americans dumber. It's like Reality TV in that way.
Really? I feel smarter every time I watch a Jersey Shore episode.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #172
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Jersey Shore starts next Thursday ... I mean. I heard that, from someone.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #173
Underdog

What the hell is Jersey Shore, a reality show about the Nets' wins?

(I heard they only signed on for 12 episodes... wocka-wocka-wocka!)

Last edited by Underdog; 07-23-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #174
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Can we move this to the Around the NBA section? I think the mention of Jersey Shore warrants that .

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 07-23-2010 at 07:31 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #175
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Jeremy Lin with 25 7 and 5 to spark the Knicks win tonight
Old 02-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #176
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
Jeremy Lin with 25 7 and 5 to spark the Knicks win tonight
Richie Framm once scored 31 points in a game.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #177
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

DoJo has done so much better.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #178
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Tony Delk once scored 53 points in a game in 2001. Ask Jason Kidd, he was there. Actually, ask Marion too, they both started on that 2001 suns team

Last edited by xrobx; 02-04-2012 at 11:23 PM.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #179
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Lin is a good player, we obviously didn't have room for him, but i didn't understand why nobody gave him a fair chance after that very good summer league, he's a capable backup point guard, not the greatest athlete in the world, and a very poor long range shooter, but he plays his heart out every night, and plays defense. Nothing indicates he'll have a game like that more frequently than once in a blue moon though.
Budapest Maverick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #180
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
Tony Delk once scored 53 points in a game in 2001. Ask Jason Kidd, he was there. Actually, ask Marion too, they both started on that 2001 suns team
I know. I thought about referencing Delk, but he was actually a solid NBA player (obviously not 50 good, but solid). Framm was a Steve Novak journeyman.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #181
xrobx
Diamond Member

Quote:
I know. I thought about referencing Delk, but he was actually a solid NBA player (obviously not 50 good, but solid). Framm was a Steve Novak journeyman.
I'm not sure which is more odd, the fact that Delk had 53, or the fact we're starting two players that were starters together 11 years ago
Old 02-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #182
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

on top of this, Lin schooled Dwill in the 4th qtr!!
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #183
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Austin Croshere once scored 34 points in a game.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #184
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Lin is a good player, we obviously didn't have room for him, but i didn't understand why nobody gave him a fair chance after that very good summer league, he's a capable backup point guard, not the greatest athlete in the world, and a very poor long range shooter, but he plays his heart out every night, and plays defense. Nothing indicates he'll have a game like that more frequently than once in a blue moon though.
Nobody gave him a fair chance?? The Warriors signed him to a 2 year deal, with the first year guaranteed and the second year partially guaranteed.

Jeremy Lin is the poster boy of why people should not go crazy over Summer League results.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #185
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Austin rulezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #186
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Nobody gave him a fair chance?? The Warriors signed him to a 2 year deal, with the first year guaranteed and the second year partially guaranteed.

Jeremy Lin is the poster boy of why people should not go crazy over Summer League results.
This. I wasn't even that wow'ed with Lin in SL.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #187
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Yeah, but Croshere was a big piece on Indy's late 90s, early 00s team. He averaged double digits in two years.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #188
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think you don't understand the purpose of summer league.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #189
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

He'll settle down once people start truly scouting him. When they realize some of his tendencies. Right now, even though he has been in the league, no coach/team has even remotely spent time trying to gameplan him. Once they look at some tape, then he'll come back down.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #190
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I think you don't understand the purpose of summer league.
I'm trying to decide whether I should be insulted by this, as the purpose of Summer League seems rather obvious.

What exactly do I not understand, Mr. Chum?

Before we go any further, please understand that after the 2010 Summer League, there were multiple posters on this board clamoring for the Mavs to give Lin a guaranteed contract, claiming that he was already better than JJ Barea.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 02-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #191
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm trying to decide whether I should be insulted by this, as the purpose of Summer League seems rather obvious.

What exactly do I not understand, Mr. Chum?

Before we go any further, please understand that after the 2010 Summer League, there were multiple posters on this board clamoring for the Mavs to give Lin a guaranteed contract, claiming that he was already better than JJ Barea.
You seem to be talking about summer league as an audition for rotation spots. It's not that. It's about making rosters. And yes, there is often cause enough to "go crazy," as you put it. As crazy as you can go for the 15th guy on your roster, that is.

Unless, of course, you think that the end guys on the bench are of no importance.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #192
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
You seem to be talking about summer league as an audition for rotation spots. It's not that. It's about making rosters. And yes, there is often cause enough to "go crazy," as you put it. As crazy as you can go for the 15th guy on your roster, that is.

Unless, of course, you think that the end guys on the bench are of no importance.
So you agree with me. And yet you seem to be acting like you disagree with me, or that you're teaching me something.

You're awesome.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #193
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
So you agree with me. And yet you seem to be acting like you disagree with me, or that you're teaching me something.

You're awesome.
Get rid of the drama. What do you think you said that I agree with?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #194
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Get rid of the drama. What do you think you said that I agree with?
I was chastising the people that wanted to give Lin a guaranteed contract based on Summer League results. There were people that wanted to see him in the rotation ahead of JJB, and who killed the Mavs for "losing" Lin when Golden State gave him a two year deal.

Summer League is full of terrible, terrible competition. It is very hard to draw concrete results from it. For an undrafted rookie playing in Summer League, you're generally looking for, at BEST, an invite to camp and a make good contract (which is what JJB got, btw).

Saying you think someone should get an invite to camp and could maybe, somehow make a roster is not going crazy. I'm not at all misunderstanding what Summer League is about. I watch it every year - hell I've even paid to watch it before.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #195
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I was chastising the people that wanted to give Lin a guaranteed contract based on Summer League results. There were people that wanted to see him in the rotation ahead of JJB, and who killed the Mavs for "losing" Lin when Golden State gave him a two year deal.

Summer League is full of terrible, terrible competition. It is very hard to draw concrete results from it. For an undrafted rookie playing in Summer League, you're generally looking for, at BEST, an invite to camp and a make good contract (which is what JJB got, btw).

Saying you think someone should get an invite to camp and could maybe, somehow make a roster is not going crazy. I'm not at all misunderstanding what Summer League is about. I watch it every year - hell I've even paid to watch it before.
I've paid to watch it, too. And that underscores my point. It's about trying to find guys who possibly, maybe, could compete. If the whole ordeal is worthless--as in, these guys will never have a chance to contribute to the NBA--then why are guys like you and me paying to watch it?

It does have value (even if you need to recognize that the value is marginal). That's why you shouldn't just dismiss it offhand.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #196
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I've paid to watch it, too. And that underscores my point. It's about trying to find guys who possibly, maybe, could compete. If the whole ordeal is worthless--as in, these guys will never have a chance to contribute to the NBA--then why are guys like you and me paying to watch it?

It does have value (even if you need to recognize that the value is marginal). That's why you shouldn't just dismiss it offhand.
I didn't dismiss it offhand, and I never said the whole ordeal was worthless. As I said earlier, we agree here.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 02-05-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #197
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I didn't dismiss it offhand, and I never said the whole ordeal was worthless. As I said earlier, we clearly agree here.
But...did you mean to imply that there was something wrong with giving Lin a contract? I thought it was merited.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #198
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

There is a 5 page thread dedicated to Jeremy Lin? A player that never played for Mavericks.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #199
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
There is a 5 page thread dedicated to Jeremy Lin? A player that never played for Mavericks.
Oh, I think he did.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #200
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
But...did you mean to imply that there was something wrong with giving Lin a contract? I thought it was merited.
I was completely in favor of bringing Lin into camp with a make good contract. I was even mildly disappointed that GSW signed him.

But there were people on this board that made a big deal out of losing Lin, that wanted the Mavs to give him a guaranteed contract. And as I've said, there were people envisioning him as a rotation player last year, which is crazy.

And Golden State giving him a 1.5 year guaranteed contract before he even got to camp was nuts.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 02-05-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 41mvp=funny bunny, bancad, ben&jerry's, cad vs chum, cadbane is always right, cadchokesondick, cadeatsshitcereal, cadhatesasians, cadreadsusatoday, chumbusey=oxygenthief, faking objectivity, getbackinthekitchenmary, getbackonyourkneescad, jeremy lin, jthig farted, lin = goat, lin-1 cadbane-0, mavsfanuofvagina, objectivehaterinhere, racism, return of the quack!, slow to admit, stuckonstupid, too many tags