Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 03-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #481
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
Time for a buyout.
It's not happening
Old 03-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #482
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
Time for a buyout.
A buyout would still count ~$2.5mil against the cap next year - might as well try other options to get him off the roster this summer, then dump him as a last resort...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-24-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #483
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Impressive how much $ someone can get paid just to go collect a single rebound.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #484
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
Notice how he was also not standing while the rest of the team was during the final seconds of the game.

Getting him off this team is addition by subtraction. I don't care if Yi is the other option, the level of play simply can't get any worse.

The season is in the stretch run, and I honestly can't think of one instance where I remember Odom playing well. Can anyone else? It's absurd how bad he's been.
The 2nd games against the Jazz when the Mavs beat them w/o Kidd, Dirk, or West. He played a good half against the Suns a couple of weeks ago.. The last Denver game he was solid. Outside of those 3 games, that's it. He has been way more negative than positive.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #485
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait to hear people try and spin his latest performance.. too many have stuck up for this guy.. and yes, 1 is entirely too many. His family should boo him when he unlocks the door at home. His dog should piss on him. His mother should call him to tell him that she should have used birth control.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #486
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait to hear people try and spin his latest performance.. too many have stuck up for this guy.. and yes, 1 is entirely too many. His family should boo him when he unlocks the door at home. His dog should piss on him. His mother should call him to tell him that she should have used birth control.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #487
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Well, you'll see a bunch of it late tonight or tomorrow. Carlisle and Dirk both said he helped based on the fact that he brought energy and stepped up when Marion had to sit out.

Carlisle was very matter of fact and said he was trying his ass of and that's what they need out of him.

Dirk definitely believes that Odom can turn it around.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #488
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

They're both lying out of their asses as far as I'm concerned.

Which is fine, I understand why they are. But there's nothing positive to be said about about his game last night.

He's dangerously close to becoming my least favorite Mav ever.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #489
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's dangerously close to becoming my least favorite Mav ever.
Oh he is already there. It is a 3 way tie between he, Antoine Walker and the Baked Potato. But at least Antoine Walker and the Baked Potato at least TRIED, unfortunately it wasto the detriment to the team. Lamar doesn't even try.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #490
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Oh he is already there. It is a 3 way tie between he, Antoine Walker and the Baked Potato. But at least Antoine Walker and the Baked Potato at least TRIED, unfortunately it wasto the detriment to the team. Lamar doesn't even try.
Who?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #491
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, yeah... I forget that some of yall weren't posting here since the beginning. Anyway, after those garbage bag type uniforms that the Mavs wore for 1 game to start the 2003-2004... someone on this message board nicknamed Danny Fortson the Baked Potato after that because of how he looked...... it kind of stuck for as long as he was with the team.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #492
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I hate Christie the most. At least Odom played well in 4-5 games. Doug Christie was just a failure from the start. Christie was even WORSE when he tried the Clippers for his last stint after the Mavs. Never thought that was possible.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #493
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Well, you'll see a bunch of it late tonight or tomorrow. Carlisle and Dirk both said he helped based on the fact that he brought energy and stepped up when Marion had to sit out.

Carlisle was very matter of fact and said he was trying his ass of and that's what they need out of him.

Dirk definitely believes that Odom can turn it around.
Jthig is right. They're obviously lying out of their asses because there is the hope that the piece of garbage can turn it around. They're saying what they have to say so that his fragile pansy doesn't fall apart completely.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #494
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jthig is right. They're obviously lying out of their asses because there is the hope that the piece of garbage can turn it around. They're saying what they have to say so that his fragile pansy doesn't fall apart completely.
+1. There is no way I could have said it better.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #495
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They're saying what they have to say so that his fragile pansy doesn't fall apart completely.
Not sure how much more fallen apart a player could get after providing a historical quadruple uno against LA. The damage control isn't gonna work until he stops sucking.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 03-25-2012 at 11:07 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #496
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't hate Fortson that much - but I definitely had higher expectations after his first few games with GS the previous year (where he averaged something like 16 rpg before getting injured)

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #497
JHT

JHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to all

Quote:
They're just being professional and trying to find a way not to trash the guy. There's no way they actually believe that.

He isn't trying. He's running out there and trying to avoid putting up a shot, or even getting the ball for that matter.

Ok I guess I should correct... yes he is trying but he's trying not to get the ball or to be anywhere near a play where he might be required to do something.

I don't think I ever have or ever will hate a Mavs player more than Lamar Odom. What a piece of garbage.

Last edited by JHT; 03-25-2012 at 12:47 PM.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #498
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHT View Post
They're just being professional and trying to find a way not to trash the guy. There's no way they actually believe that.

He isn't trying. He's running out there and trying to avoid putting up a shot, or even getting the ball for that matter.

Ok I guess I should correct... yes he is trying but he's trying not to get the ball or to be anywhere near a play where he might be required to do something.

I don't think I ever have or ever will hate a Mavs player more than Lamar Odom. What a piece of garbage.
I will say they're tired of talking about it, but they still believe he's going to turn it around. The two opinions aren't tied together tho. They know he's working and just needs to figure it out, but they're tired of the media trying to put a big old spotlight on it. Last night was a night where Odom just wanted to get dressed, get on the bus and go. Nothing out of the ordinary with that, as he's not required to talk every night. Some of the media still wanted to get him and he said, "you can get me, but you'll have to walk with me." Again, no problem with that. I'll say that I saw that as I was speaking to 2 different sources and they both just scoffed at them just following him. They were very supportive towards Odom as they saw that. They essentially both said they need to leave him alone and let him get a break and that's he trying.

The meeting with Cuban prior to the game was in the corner of the locker room and we could all see it. There was animation between the two of them, but it was pretty much positive communication. The biggest thing I took away from Cuban's comments was the fact that he still thinks Odom is trying to play too much into the flow and that he just needs to be more reactive and try have more force or action in the flow.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 03-25-2012 at 12:54 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #499
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

IMO Odom should play heavy (36-40) minutes for a game or two and (hopefully) find his rhythm there. Right now he is playing/thinking too much "from possession to possession", which pretty counterproductive for his developement. Earlier in the season he at least shot the ball, now he passes it to Roddy, Wright, Mihnimi and co... and does nothing on the floor. He is just trying to survive and avoid mistakes (missed shots)...

I mean, look at this....

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo...617/lamar-odom

He had (pretty much) only two 30min games in MAVS uniform. Both were wins and Odom played really good in both of them. In LAL he had ton of 30min games, and this really helps to become comfortable with the system and the team.

Here's an idea. Give Dirk a rest vs. MIA and play Odom.

Last edited by markus1234; 03-25-2012 at 01:23 PM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #500
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
I will say they're tired of talking about it, but they still believe he's going to turn it around. The two opinions aren't tied together tho. They know he's working and just needs to figure it out, but they're tired of the media trying to put a big old spotlight on it. Last night was a night where Odom just wanted to get dressed, get on the bus and go. Nothing out of the ordinary with that, as he's not required to talk every night. Some of the media still wanted to get him and he said, "you can get me, but you'll have to walk with me." Again, no problem with that. I'll say that I saw that as I was speaking to 2 different sources and they both just scoffed at them just following him. They were very supportive towards Odom as they saw that. They essentially both said they need to leave him alone and let him get a break and that's he trying.

The meeting with Cuban prior to the game was in the corner of the locker room and we could all see it. There was animation between the two of them, but it was pretty much positive communication. The biggest thing I took away from Cuban's comments was the fact that he still thinks Odom is trying to play too much into the flow and that he just needs to be more reactive and try have more force or action in the flow.
I'm surprised you are not tired of talking about the situation, but you are a reporter so kudos to you.
He looks like a deer in the headlight at times. Even when Odom does the right thing he blows the easy shot so I don't think he will come around especially with the schedule being tough.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #501
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
I'm surprised you are not tired of talking about the situation, but you are a reporter so kudos to you.
He looks like a deer in the headlight at times. Even when Odom does the right thing he blows the easy shot so I don't think he will come around especially with the schedule being tough.
The interview after SA was probably one of the more interesting ones I've been a part of. He was pretty much in front of the firing squad for 6+ minutes and answered everything that came his way. He was a little smart with his replies from time to time, but he was pretty much upfront and honest with everything sent his way. It's wearing on him and I know he's going through some stuff, but he definitely is trying out there. He's just climbing uphill and it's major work for him.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #502
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

I still believe Odom isn't trying. Rebounds is a key stat to how much they want to put forth for the team. Odom doesn't want to be on this team and thus isn't trying.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #503
b_o_r
Golden Member

Quote:
The interview after SA was probably one of the more interesting ones I've been a part of. He was pretty much in front of the firing squad for 6+ minutes and answered everything that came his way. He was a little smart with his replies from time to time, but he was pretty much upfront and honest with everything sent his way. It's wearing on him and I know he's going through some stuff, but he definitely is trying out there. He's just climbing uphill and it's major work for him.
I know its not a popular opinion but Kobe is right, Odom isn't used properly in this offense. I cringe every time Rick or Dirk suggest Odom should post up more because it isn't really a big part of his repertoire. Odom's bread and butter is facing up to take bigger/slower players off the dribble (made a living doing this to Dirk) and cutting to the basket with an occasional jumper.
He cannot play the 3 when Dirk and Kidd are on the floor together. There is no spacing.

The lineups that have work the best with him are the ones that include a combination of Terry, Beaubois and/or West. He can play with Dirk but with those back courts only. From an eye test the lineup that I like (Terry/Roddy/Dirk/Odom/Wright) is very productive(1.39 off/.86d eff) but is rarely played. If Carlisle was truly committed to making Lamar comfortable, maybe the first sub should be Terry for Dirk sliding Marion to PF. This way, Dirk could be in the 2nd unit.

Last edited by b_o_r; 03-25-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #504
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He cannot play the 3 when Dirk and Kidd are on the floor together. There is no spacing.
Huh?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #505
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

I've always thought of the Mavs as one of the easiest teams in the league to play with. Mainly because every one on the team has such a high BBall IQ. Even last year Peja said the same thing.
I've also noticed whatever it is the Mavs do they tend to bring out the best in players. Look at Chandler, Barea, Stevenson for the most recent examples and how they've faired with their new teams.
It's really puzzling what's happened to Odom. Maybe it's like a field goal kicker in the NFL. Sometimes they just get mentally jinxed and it never fixes itself. Field goal kickers have it easy though. They go in the game and theyre out. Lamar is front and center and has all of Dallas on his back. No helmet to hide behind.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #506
b_o_r
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Huh?
There is reason why Phil never played him at the 3 with Gasol and Bynum even when Ron Artest was struggling. Lamar is essentially a 6'10" swingman with above average passing. He has no go to moves nor a consistent jumper.

The SF position in the offense is standing near the 3pt line to provide spacing for when Dirk receives the ball in the low post. The low block is already occupied by Dirk and the Center. Since Kidd has no use for a screen, the center has no reason to come out of the low block. That means there is little space for Lamar to make a cut to the basket. It also doesn't help that teams are no longer doubling down on Dirk.

If you look at Lamar's body of work with the Lakers or Clippers as a PF, his offense is cutting to the basket when the center backs down (Bynum/Gasol/Kaman/Brand) his man or when the guard penetrates. The other facet of his game is facing up a bigger/slower player and taking him off the dribble. If he is playing the 3, he is going to being facing a faster player. He would have to back his man down which he's not really good at either.

I know some you guys will point to Marion but according to the stats, Marion is much more effective offensively at the PF on this team. Secondly, when he is at the SF he can iso and post him up.

Odom can play the SF position when Dirk is in and the guards are Terry/Roddy/West because they will make use of a screen set by either Dirk or the Center. If he paired with Kidd, he has to be the PF.

Last edited by b_o_r; 03-25-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #507
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There is reason why Phil never played him at the 3 with Gasol and Bynum even when Ron Artest was struggling. Lamar is essentially a 6'10" swingman with above average passing. He has no go to moves nor a consistent jumper.

The SF position in the offense is standing near the 3pt line to provide spacing for when Dirk receives the ball in the low post. The low post is already occupied by Dirk and the Center. Since Kidd has no use for a screen, the center has no reason to come out of the low block. That means there is little space for Lamar to make a cut to the basket. It also doesn't help that teams are no longer doubling down on Dirk.

If you look at Lamar's body of work with the Lakers or Clippers as a PF, his offense is cutting to the basket when the center backs down (Bynum/Gasol/Kaman/Brand) his man or when the guard penetrates. The other facet of his game is facing up a bigger/slower player and taking him off the dribble. If he is playing the 3, he is going to being facing a faster player. He would have to back his man down which he's not really good at either.

I know some you guys will point to Marion but according to the stats, Marion is much more effective offensively at the PF on this team. Secondly, when he is at the SF he can iso and post him up.

Odom can play the SF position when Dirk is in and the guards are Terry/Roddy/West because they will make use of a screen set by either Dirk or the Center. If he paired with Kidd, he has to be the PF.
You're right, I will point to Marion, because he has no issues doing everything you just described. Marion seems to find plenty of cuts to the basket with Dirk and Kidd on the floor.

Pointing out that Marion is better offensively at PF is pointless; he hasn't played enough minutes at PF for it to be meaningful. His contribution to this team this season has been at SF, and he's managed to thrive despite being basically the exact offensive player that you claim can't succeed on the floor with Dirk and Kidd.

And even if your explanation for why Odom can't play SF was accurate, what's the explanation for why he can't play PF, where he's played over twice as many minutes?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 03-25-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #508
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He has no go to moves nor a consistent jumper.
Not sure what this has to do with the part of your earlier post that made me go "Huh?", but I'll respond anyway. I have no argument on the lack of a go-to move, but while Lamar's never been in Dirk and JET's class as a jump shooter, he's historically been a much better mid- to long-range shooter than what he's shown this year. Point being, I don't at all believe you can account for his struggles by a playing-to-his-weaknesses argument. A prime example, you keep acting like him playing PF is the tonic for his struggles, but the fact of the matter is that he's been a huge failure in his role as the team's backup PF.

Quote:
The SF position in the offense is standing near the 3pt line to provide spacing for when Dirk receives the ball in the low post. The low post is already occupied by Dirk and the Center. Since Kidd has no use for a screen, the center has no reason to come out of the low block. That means there is little space for Lamar to make a cut to the basket. It also doesn't help that teams are no longer doubling down on Dirk.
1) The Mavs' centers are frequently used as screen-setters in the offense, 2) Dirk's role in the offense goes way beyond simply getting the ball in the low post, and 3) I wonder if you've ever seen Shawn Marion play for the Mavs if you think there's no room for the SF to be a cutter.

And more generally, that anyone would espouse the notion that having Dirk and Kidd on the floor at the same time is somehow incompatible with good spacing just baffles my mind.

Quote:
Again, not really what I was Huh-ing about, but Lamar's got enough size, good enough handles, and he passes well enough that posting him against SFs should be a viable option, and one that I won't mind seeing them try a bit more. And honestly, at this point, if you're going to continue to play the guy at all I think you've got to be willing to experiment some, because he's not been succeeding at much of anything that he's been doing to this point.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 03-25-2012 at 05:10 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #509
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Odom still plays better at the SF, shoots a higher %, grabs more rebounds, better AST/TOV, dunno why.

Have the latest P36-splits here (before/after ASG). It's not pretty. Since he requested a buyout, he plays even crappier...
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #510
Murphy3
Guru

Dirk and the coach say what they say because they feel they need to. They know that it would be a huge plus if he can turn it around. However, I have serious doubts as to whether or not either of them have alot of faith in it actually turning around. It's probably a bit of a vague hope at this point.

And the crap about him not being used right on offense is just a ton of b.s. I suppose open jumpers just isn't quite in his repetoire. He came in with a horrible attitude... now he's in a funk that he's having difficulty getting out of it when he actually puts forth a little bit of effort.

As for the media pointing a spotlight on his horrific play.. total bullsh!t. If anything, he's found a place that he could hide in Dallas. Can you imagine how badly he would have been raked over the coals in many other markets? The fans have been too easy on that piece of crap.. The media has been way too easy on that piece of crap. I partly think that the laid back atmosphere here with the media and the fans has probably allowed the piece of crap to skate with horrific play longer than he otherwise would have in some other markets. This thing would have come to a head weeks and weeks ago in some other markets.

With Dirk and Kidd on this team, it makes it rather easy for players to get good looks. Odom is having no difficulty getting good looks at open jumpers... he's just not hitting them.

Last edited by Murphy3; 03-25-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #511
b_o_r
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
You're right, I will point to Marion, because he has no issues doing everything you just described. Marion seems to find plenty of cuts to the basket with Dirk and Kidd on the floor.
Marion has a variety of moves in/around the basket with that little flip shot and he is way faster (especially first step wise) than Lamar. Secondly, Marion scoring is way more varied than cutting to the basket. Dude is always around the basket--involved in PnR, beating his man down the floor to establish deep position, post ups, looking for the offensive rebound, etc. That has been his game since college. He has applied his skill set to this offense.

Quote:
Not sure what this has to do with the part of your earlier post that made me go "Huh?", but I'll respond anyway. I have no argument on the lack of a go-to move, but while Lamar's never been in Dirk and JET's class as a jump shooter, he's historically been a much better mid- to long-range shooter than what he's shown this year. Point being, I don't at all believe you can account for his struggles by a playing-to-his-weaknesses argument. A prime example, you keep acting like him playing PF is the tonic for his struggles, but the fact of the matter is that he's been a huge failure in his role as the team's backup PF.
He was historically better at everything as well too. However, last year he hit 47% percent of his jumpers which was a career high. Before that he languished in the 41%-38% range. The most telling stat is his shot selection. Lamar's shot percentage from the inside in '10 (43%), '09 (49%), '08 (59%) to whopping 27% with the Mavs which is on par with Butler.

I contend the hardest position in the Mavericks offense is the SF position when Dirk and Kidd are on the floor together. For this offense to flow properly, the SF has to be a good jumper shooter, preferably a no dribble shooter . Marion makes do because of his craftiness, but Carlisle from the beginning has implored him to rediscover his lost long range shot. You notice the Mavs were quick to replace him with Butler--a jump shooter. When Butler went down, they wanted Peja who was plugged into the starting lineup almost immediately. Why do you think people want Carter to start at the 3? Do you really believe that Brewer was just a salary dump? There was no other legit SF on this team but they gave away Corey for nothing. Between Lamar and Marion, Corey had the weakest outside shot so he went.

Also, I never contended Odom's cure all would be to play him at the 4. He is just more aggressive as far as looking for his shot with his natural skill set. His FT attempts double when he is at the 4 which means he is trying to drive. But like I said in an earlier post, even when he does the right thing he misses the easy shot. I rather have him go for the layup because it is more likely to fall than to continue to shoot the jumper that he was always been average at making.

Quote:
1) The Mavs' centers are frequently used as screen-setters in the offense, 2) Dirk's role in the offense goes way beyond simply getting the ball in the low post, and 3) I wonder if you've ever seen Shawn Marion play for the Mavs if you think there's no room for the SF to be a cutter.

And more generally, that anyone would espouse the notion that having Dirk and Kidd on the floor at the same time is somehow incompatible with good spacing just baffles my mind.

Again, not really what I was Huh-ing about, but Lamar's got enough size, good enough handles, and he passes well enough that posting him against SFs should be a viable option, and one that I won't mind seeing them try a bit more. And honestly, at this point, if you're going to continue to play the guy at all I think you've got to be willing to experiment some, because he's not been succeeding at much of anything that he's been doing to this point.
The Mavs centers are more likely to be screen setters once Terry checks in first. When Kidd and Dirk our on the floor together, Kidd's primary focus is to get the ball to Dirk. The offense runs through Dirk at that point, and everyone plays off of Dirk.

The posting up smaller players isn't a viable option because he was never really good at it. He is a face up player period.

If Dirk was a couple of years younger, I would be through with the experiment. Lamar is simply not a good fit for this team even if he was in a good mindset. The Lakers gave away the reigning 6th man of the year and their 3rd best player for nothing. If that wasn't a red flag, I don't know what is.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #512
b_o_r
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Odom still plays better at the SF, shoots a higher %, grabs more rebounds, better AST/TOV, dunno why.

Have the latest P36-splits here (before/after ASG). It's not pretty. Since he requested a buyout, he plays even crappier...
Who is in the back court when he is the SF?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #513
Murphy3
Guru

I know that who's on the court plays a big role in missing open jumpers..
Old 03-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #514
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Who is in the back court when he is the SF?
Roddy/Terry most of the time (300+ poss)
Terry/West (90)
Terry/Carter (90)
Kidd/Terry (45)
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #515
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Sooo how is he being used incorrectly again?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #516
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Marion has a variety of moves in/around the basket with that little flip shot and he is way faster (especially first step wise) than Lamar. Secondly, Marion scoring is way more varied than cutting to the basket. Dude is always around the basket--involved in PnR, beating his man down the floor to establish deep position, post ups, looking for the offensive rebound, etc. That has been his game since college. He has applied his skill set to this offense.
I thought you said Lamar was a good cutter. Is he or isn't he?

Quote:
He was historically better at everything as well too. However, last year he hit 47% percent of his jumpers which was a career high. Before that he languished in the 41%-38% range. The most telling stat is his shot selection. Lamar's shot percentage from the inside in '10 (43%), '09 (49%), '08 (59%) to whopping 27% with the Mavs which is on par with Butler.
So we agree. His suckage is ubiquitous. How is that the fault of the way he's being used again?

Quote:
I contend the hardest position in the Mavericks offense is the SF position when Dirk and Kidd are on the floor together. For this offense to flow properly, the SF has to be a good jumper shooter, preferably a no dribble shooter . Marion makes do because of his craftiness, but Carlisle from the beginning has implored him to rediscover his lost long range shot. You notice the Mavs were quick to replace him with Butler--a jump shooter. When Butler went down, they wanted Peja who was plugged into the starting lineup almost immediately. Why do you think people want Carter to start at the 3? Do you really believe that Brewer was just a salary dump? There was no other legit SF on this team but they gave away Corey for nothing. Between Lamar and Marion, Corey had the weakest outside shot so he went.
Where to start. First, Carlisle had discouraged Marion from taking the long jumpers prior to this year. Second Marion came off the bench because he was Dirk's primary backup. There's zero doubt that he is, and has been, the Mavs' best SF, hence his ascendance into the starting lineup and his status as a near fixture in the closing lineup. Third, I don't know why people would want Vince to start over Shawn, and I don't care, because it's a dumb idea. Fourth, of course Corey was a salary dump. And unfortunately, that salary dump was necessitated by the Odom trade.

Quote:
Also, I never contended Odom's cure all would be to play him at the 4. He is just more aggressive as far as looking for his shot with his natural skill set. His FT attempts double when he is at the 4 which means he is trying to drive. But like I said in an earlier post, even when he does the right thing he misses the easy shot. I rather have him go for the layup because it is more likely to fall than to continue to shoot the jumper that he was always been average at making.
I'd rather he quit crapping all over my beloved Mavericks. I really don't care how he does it.

Quote:
The Mavs centers are more likely to be screen setters once Terry checks in first. When Kidd and Dirk our on the floor together, Kidd's primary focus is to get the ball to Dirk. The offense runs through Dirk at that point, and everyone plays off of Dirk.
I don't see how that supports your argument at all. JET and Odom both come off the bench, and neither subs in for Kidd. And again, Dirk draws defensive attention everywhere he goes on the floor. Nobody stretches a defense more, and Lamar will get no pass from me for his ongoing failure to take advantage of that.

Quote:
The posting up smaller players isn't a viable option because he was never really good at it. He is a face up player period.
Maybe you're right. I just don't think there's sufficient evidence either way. Dirk for one doesn't agree with you, though, so I wouldn't mind seeing them try it.

Quote:
If Dirk was a couple of years younger, I would be through with the experiment. Lamar is simply not a good fit for this team even if he was in a good mindset. The Lakers gave away the reigning 6th man of the year and their 3rd best player for nothing. If that wasn't a red flag, I don't know what is.
In hindsight, the trade that brought Lamar sucked donkey balls, and I was as wrong as anybody in my read on what he'd bring to the team. But I don't believe for one second that the problem is fit.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #517
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Why would the Mavs have gone after Brewer in the first place if they knew that a SF has to be able to shoot in their system? They thought they could teach him to shoot? They didn't realize this positional requirement until it was too late?

I don't deny that the Mavs looked for floor spreading last year. They used Peja and JJ together to destroy the Lakers. But to me that's more about having that tool in your toolbox and available to a coach like Carlisle.

After watching Carlisle continuously fit and mold different pieces into this system, it's (imo) fairly nutty to believe that any part of Lamar's trouble is due to Carlisle not knowing how to make him fit.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #518
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with this sentiment from above: anybody in the organization who is still talking positively about this guy is just putting on a face. There are good reasons to do that, so I'm not necessarily complaining, but I don't think anybody genuinely believes that he'll "turn it around," no matter what they say or how they say it.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #519
b_o_r
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Sooo how is he being used incorrectly again?

From your post in the Lamar Odom Traded to Dallas thread
Quote:
Thought this was interesting:

Quote:
RobMahoney Rob Mahoney
RT @mySynergySports: Odom ranked in the top 50 league-wide in PPP in Iso, pick and roll ball handler, roll man, and post-up situations.
We don't run the middle PnR much with our Bigs, just the side PnR to get the guard an open J.

At this point it doesn't even matter. You don't get good players that you have to count on for nothing. The Mavericks got him for nothing and he has given them nothing in return. You get what you pay for.

Bring on the 3-guard lineup at this point.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #520
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
At this point it doesn't even matter. You don't get good players that you have to count on for nothing. The Mavericks got him for nothing and he has given them nothing in return. You get what you pay for.
They're paying him 9 million dollars. Don't give me that nothing crap.

Tags
hopehegetsgilloolyed, lamar odom > cadbane, lol khloe, odom's bag of rocks, odom's empty bag