Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-27-2001, 05:05 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

plffft!
------------------------------------------------------------------
Hayes will join Ring of Honor on Sept. 23
06/27/2001
From Staff Reports
Dallas Morning News

The Cowboys announced Wednesday afternoon that former wide receiver Bob Hayes will be inducted into the team's Ring of Honor on Sept. 23 at halftime of the Cowboys' game with the San Diego Chargers.

Cowboys in the Ring of Honor

Hayes, who played for the Cowboys from 1965-74, will become the 11th player inducted into the team's Ring of Honor.

Hayes holds several Cowboys records, including most career TD passes (71) and longest pass reception (95 yards). He led the team in pass receptions in three different seasons, including his rookie year when he grabbed 46 passes for 1,003 - the first 1,000-yard season for any Cowboys receiver. In 1970, Hayes caught 34 passes, 10 of which went for touchdowns. He was named All-Pro four times (1965-68).

Hayes revolutionized the game with his speed. In the mid-1960s, NFL defenses were standard and simple. The two cornerbacks played man-to-man coverage on the wide receivers and the other nine defenders concentrated on the run. But such deployment wouldn’t work against Hayes.

"It was suicide to try and play him man-to-man," said former teammate Calvin Hill. "In 1965, when Bob Hayes came to the Cowboys, the bomb was born. What does this man mean to football? What does a fighter jet mean to warfare?"
Hayes won the gold medal in the 100 meters and ran the anchor leg in the winning 4x100-meter relay at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. His world-record time of 10.0 seconds in the 100 meters led to his billing as "The World's Fastest Human" when he joined the Cowboys in 1965.

Hayes, who averaged more than 20 yards a catch, is credited with the evolution of the zone defense because man-to-man coverage could not handle his speed.

However, a 1979 conviction for drug trafficking hurt Hayes' previous candidacy for the Ring of Honor and the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Hayes, 58, who suffers from prostate cancer as well as heart, liver and kidney problems, said during a Dallas appearance in March that he's "progressing every day. I'm gaining my strength and weight back. ... I am a miracle, not only because of my accomplishments, but because I finally have God in my life."
Cowboys tickets on sale Thursday

The Cowboys announced single-game ticket information for their first two games at Texas Stadium. Tickets for both the Sept. 9 season opener against Tampa Bay and the Sept. 23 game against San Diego go on sale Thursday at the Cowboys ticket office at Texas Stadium and all Ticketmaster outlets.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links