Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-25-2002, 05:06 PM   #1
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

Wang Options
No Unprotected No. 1 Available In Trade

By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com
Wang Zhizhi is a commodity so interesting that one NBA personnel man says his situation is like “Dirk Nowitzki’s in his second year.’’ But that’s both a good and a bad thing, and one that doesn’t seem likely to result in the Mavs swapping him for an unprotected first-round pick.
Sources tell DallasBasketball.com that the Mavs have “a wide variety’’ of offers on the table for Wang, whose red-tape problems with China have made him a Dallas headache. Those proposals include a number of teams that are offering protected first-rounders. There is also at least one package available featuring two players, we’re told (no names yet), but that includes fat contracts that Dallas is unwilling to take on.
It seems there are four possibilities available:
1) Deal him for a protected No. 1;
2) Deal him for a player/players who, preferably, aren’t saddled with unattractive contracts;
3) Wait patiently until Wang might be included in a larger deal later;
4) Sign him and keep him and deal with the consequences.
“There is no deadline here,’’ Mavs president Donnie Nelson. “Ideally, you want everything done by the start of camp. We’ll hopefully get some closure to this situation soon.’’
The Mavs are apparently not attracted to swapping Wang in a deal for Golden State’s Danny Fortson because of his bloated contract, and if they were ever interested in discussions with Toronto, would have naturally backed off now because of Hakeem Olajuwon’s health concerns

3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2002, 05:24 PM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Damn who in the hell are offering first rounders? Im guessin teams like Kings or Lakers. If a team bad team in the West offered a first rounder id do it. Why ar epeople feelin so high on Wang? Could the Rockets be offering something so they can have the Ming and Wang combo Iw ouldnt mind seein that. I have no clue whats goin on but im sure if the right deal came through it would have been done.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 05:28 PM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Would a depth chart of

Nash-----NVE----- Avery
Finley---Griffin--TAW
Dirk------Nájera---Sekularac
Wang----Popeye
Raef-----Mantis---Esch

be any less effective than one with Eddie as a starter? Hell, start Popeye, and let Wang be the 6th man. I'd like to see it. For a while anyway.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 05:30 PM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

The one problem with the lineup is defense. Wang just cant defend as well as Najera yet. WE would do better starting Dirk at Center than having that lineup becuase I could just see guys like Malone and Brand killing us inside.

1996-2005
Old 09-25-2002, 05:34 PM   #5
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

We should definitely keep Wang at this point. If he gets better, he very well may eclipse what we were hoping Rashard Lewis could do. Just look at what Dirk has done.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 05:38 PM   #6
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

<< The one problem with the lineup is defense. Wang just cant defend as well as Najera yet. WE would do better starting Dirk at Center than having that lineup becuase I could just see guys like Malone and Brand killing us inside. >>

I agree that Wang isn't going to be an answer defensively. But I wonder if he wouldn't be enough more of a threat offensively to offset what he'd give up compared to Eddie--plus, I think he'll get better with minutes/experience.

But let's face it, the Mavs as currently constituted, aren't going to be winning much with defense.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:39 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

I have no problem with keeping Wang but I was hearin he didnt want to play with Mavs this season thats why he weas working out in LA. Does Wang wanna play hear?

1996-2005
Old 09-25-2002, 05:42 PM   #8
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Tough to know who/what to believe with respect to Wang. If Mavs don't want him for fear of repercussions with Chinese gov't, which NBA team will? I mean, unless it's Cuban's commerical interests that stand to lose, and not purely basketball-related issues.

But you're right....the Mavs have more vested in Wang, than he has in staying in Dallas. Hope they can keep him and reap the benefits of carrying him these last two years. Plus, I just wanna see the guy play regularly.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:42 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<<

<< The one problem with the lineup is defense. Wang just cant defend as well as Najera yet. WE would do better starting Dirk at Center than having that lineup becuase I could just see guys like Malone and Brand killing us inside. >>

I agree that Wang isn't going to be an answer defensively. But I wonder if he wouldn't be enough more of a threat offensively to offset what he'd give up compared to Eddie--plus, I think he'll get better with minutes/experience.

But let's face it, the Mavs as currently constituted, aren't going to be winning much with defense.
>>

Thats true but I would much rather see Malone average his 25 on us then getting a career high on us everytime he plays us. Ive got no problem with Wang starting but I dont know I just see him as a spot up shooter as of right now. Its been a long off season I even forgot how the big 3 even play.

1996-2005
Old 09-25-2002, 05:53 PM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Wang looks so much slower a foot he is always gonna have probs guarding any small forward and most power forwards much less centers.

His potential is kinda scary right now though. Would be interaesting to have him actually train and work here for two years

Tex
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 06:14 PM   #11
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Personally, I take a protected 1st. I just don't have faith in Wang's developement. I trust Donnie on this. So whatever the result, I expect it is the best possible. So if he stays, I think it the right move. If he goes, same thing.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 06:35 PM   #12
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

N-E-W

These guys need more minutes per game. Each can improve in the way Mavs needs.

Najera
Wang
Eschmeyer

Anyone of them can be a good starter. But not now. They need and deserve more minutes, more training and more coaching.

Nowitzky, Jordan and many others, needed time to develop a good game level.

AND OF COURSE I WANT EDDIE AS A STARTER !!! It's my compatriot and I'm blind if you talk about their weaknesses. (He only needs to score 4 or 5 more points per game, that's all)

Old 09-25-2002, 06:47 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I REALLY want to see wang go through a training camp. I do not want to trade him away until then. He went to play with golden state because the mavs were honoring their committment to the chinese. But I do not want to trade him until I see him this year.

If nothing else I want to see what he can do when given a lot of minutes in the pre-season.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 06:47 PM   #14
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Chiwas, those three are very different types with very different potentials.

Wang could be a very solid player, probably not a star, but a very good scorer--a 13-16ppg/6-9rpg player with the right team, in the right situation; more like the player people want LaFrentz to be than LaFrentz currently is.

N&aacute;jera has probably gotten about as good as his skills are going to allow him; he has totally maxed out what he can do, and offers the Mavs a big boost as a hustle player. He may improve a little more with experience, but no amount of spit, polish or playing time is going to amp up his game any further. Eddie needs to become The Beast--a 666 player--6 points, 6 rebound, 6 fouls per game. That is how he'll make his mark.

Esch.....no nice way to say it. If he tripled his effort, he'd be an Eddie. Doesn't have first-line talent, no way he becomes a starter without injuries to other players. He's a career plodder.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:58 PM   #15
Chiwas
Guru

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Ok on Wang comment.

Ok on Eschmeyer comment.

But I wrote I'm blind on Najera bad comments.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

LOL. I understand. I hope he can achieve 6-6-6 some day.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:41 PM   #16
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

<< But I wrote I'm blind on Najera bad comments. >>

You won't hear any negative comments about Eddie from me--I'm a big fan of his, and I think he brings something the Mavericks definitely need. I just think that realistically, he's going to be a utililty player, a more-evolved version of Rambis...Rambis with some style.

Viva Eddie!
Old 09-25-2002, 07:49 PM   #17
AdamAMMP

AdamAMMP is on a distinguished road

You think we can get D.Harvey back for him.
AdamAMMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 08:32 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are selling eddie somewhat short. If he improves his FT shooting and works his shot some more, he can easily be a 10-6 player. 10pts, 6 rbs.

The only thing that bothers me is him not covering SF's. I'll have to watch that a little bit this year..

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 09-25-2002, 08:44 PM   #19
dude1394
Guru

<< You think we can get D.Harvey back for him. >>

Are you kidding about donnell harvey, I've seen some folks that are in love with him, but I've never seen it.

Harvey with Denver in 23 minutes... FG% .49, FT% .65, 6.2RBS, .2 SPG, .3BPG, 8.0 pts
Najera with Dallas in 22 minutes... FG% .50, FT% .68, 5.5RBS, .9 SPG, .5BPG, 6.5 pts

So Najera looks just like harvey except Najera outweighs him and I can't believe that harvey outhustles him, at least the steals and blocks don't say so (albeit small).

I surely don't see why we need two Najera's..
Old 09-25-2002, 08:59 PM   #20
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<<

<< You think we can get D.Harvey back for him. >>

Are you kidding about donnell harvey, I've seen some folks that are in love with him, but I've never seen it.

Harvey with Denver in 23 minutes... FG% .49, FT% .65, 6.2RBS, .2 SPG, .3BPG, 8.0 pts
Najera with Dallas in 22 minutes... FG% .50, FT% .68, 5.5RBS, .9 SPG, .5BPG, 6.5 pts

So Najera looks just like harvey except Najera outweighs him and I can't believe that harvey outhustles him, at least the steals and blocks don't say so (albeit small).

I surely don't see why we need two Najera's..
>>

Well alot of people believe that Harvey has the more potential and is teh younger one if im correct. Didnt have have 1 year of college ball? And the guy is wayy more athletic. Some would argue that Najera wont be nothing more than a hustle guy while Harvey might be the same but could be the better of the too.

1996-2005
Old 09-25-2002, 09:23 PM   #21
Chiwas
Guru

<< You won't hear any negative comments about Eddie from me >>

No. You're right. I just can't speak well.

<< I think we are selling eddie somewhat short. >>

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO. I can't be a two teams fan.

<< If he improves his FT shooting and works his shot some more, he can easily be a 10-6 player. 10pts, 6 rbs. >>

I think he will soon.

<< The only thing that bothers me is him not covering SF's. I'll have to watch that a little bit this year.. >>

What's SF's? Small fowards? I'm lost.

<< Some would argue that Najera wont be nothing more than a hustle guy while Harvey might be the same but could be the better of the too. >>

I remember Najera in his two first years with Oklahoma. He was only a hustle player, not a scorer, not a good defender, etc. But he improves a lot. The last two years he becames the leader guy, best scorer, best rebounder and the
team mover.

With the mexican team, last summer, he was the spark plug, best scorer, etcetera, in order to defeat Argentina in the first of 3 games played in Mexico, before the World Championship.

I think he is going to improve more next season. Probably he will deserve the 5th place with Mavs in one more year. I would like to see it.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:36 PM   #22
AdamAMMP

I would welcome a Wang for Harvey over a Wang for Fortson or a draft pick any day.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:42 PM   #23
dude1394
Guru

SF - Small Forwards...For example on Sacremento this would be Peja (who I think he can guard).

But there has been some other posters who have questioned his ability to guard Small Forwards because of quickness.

FilthyFinMavs the comment was directed to trading Wang for Donnell.. There were two comments in the response really..

1. Do we need another player that is basically Najera. You think he may have more upside, I think Najera/Harvey will essentially be the same player EXCEPT it has been shown that Najera IS a hustle guy, harvey is still just potential of something.
2. I was honestly asking the guy if he really wanted to trade Wang for Harvey, in my mind no way this is done.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:43 PM   #24
DirkNash1341

DirkNash1341 is on a distinguished road

Rambis had style dammit.
DirkNash1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 09:45 PM   #25
Chiwas
Guru

I liked this:

<< Lewis is floating somewhere between here and Seattle. Wang Zhizhi is floating somewhere between here and China. Nick Van Exel is here, NOT floating between Dallas and New York. >>

<< So the roster is coming together – and should include two guys who specialize in keeping things together. >>

Popeye and Najera:

<< and should include two guys who specialize in keeping things together. >>

Keeping things together means (for me) cooling a devastating opponent offensive and fixing the mess. It is very important, specially when Nash, Nowitzky, Finley and La Frentz loose the pace, that it happens sometimes.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:47 PM   #26
dude1394
Guru

<< I would welcome a Wang for Harvey over a Wang for Fortson or a draft pick any day. >>

Why are you just in love with his looks??
Old 09-25-2002, 10:18 PM   #27
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Harvey is a spare.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 10:30 PM   #28
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Well, if he is, Doc, he's an athletic spare, and everybody thinks the Mavs need more athleticism. Even their spares. ESPECIALLY their spares.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:34 PM   #29
AdamAMMP

Did you watch any of his games in Denver? He has DRod written all over him. Give him the playing time and he could put up 15pts 10Rbs 2blks easily.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:58 PM   #30
Lukano

Lukano is on a distinguished road

Mavkiki:

I'm quite impressed with your insight into the future, particularly with regards to how much a basketball player will or not improve his game. Based on your very authoritative analysis of player talent and potential, particularly Najera to whom you have determined has reached his potential, makes me believe you MUST be a very succesful, rich and respected individual in your own professional field (or are you?). What authority! how insightfull! Of coure you must also tell us how much (or little) the Mavs need to pay him.

In reality you are absurd, shortsighted and totally devoid of common sense. The reason I state this is because your comments are basically insulting and ridiculous. Here you have a player who has demonstrated skill, endurance and determination to improve; attributes that I consider admireable, plus the fact that he is entering just his third season. Beside the fact that Najera didn't get enough minutes during the regular season, I do believe Najera and for that matter any player willing to learn, practice and work hard is entitled to a fair chance to prove his value and growth.

Peace
Lukano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 11:03 PM   #31
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

To add to what Lukano said -- remember that Eddie barely played his rookie year, and it took half a year last year for Nellie to wake up and play him instead of Danny Manning.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 11:06 PM   #32
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

So I understand where the 'ano' part of your name comes from.....

Look, ano, if you read my comments about N&aacute;jera, you might pick up on the fact that I'm a big fan of his.

But yeah, I see his physical limitations, and it doesn't make me enjoy watching him play any less.

And your prose is stiffer than Mantis creaking downcourt.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:38 AM   #33
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Latest Wang news....

down and slightly to the left.

lighten up folks...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote