Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 12-21-2003, 06:02 PM   #1
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default 2003 Best Games. BBC

Pick of the best games of 2003

Daniel Etherington of BBCi Collective selects the games he was most impressed with in 2003 in his weekly games column.
Unless strapped down and fed by a drip, there is no way one person could play the hundreds of games released in the UK this year.

So, inevitably, this list is subjective.

It is made up of the few top quality games that have taken up the most hours of my life during 2003.

PlanetSide
Publisher: UbiSoft
Developer: Sony
Format: PC

Sure there are problems - bugs, server grievances - but this is the year's most ambitious, innovative game, providing epic multiplayer online delights for first-person shooter fans. Don exo-armour, fly aircraft, be a medic or engineer - the range of experiences is as wide as the gameplay is compelling. Hail!

Metroid Prime
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Retro Studios
Format: GameCube

Fans were perturbed when Nintendo planned to create a 3D game, but all worries were put aside with the release of this refined masterpiece. A first-person shooter, a platformer, a 3D action adventure, a puzzler - it is all this and more, wrapped up in exquisite graphics.

Zelda: Wind Waker
Publisher/Developer: Nintendo

It is generally agreed this is not quite as good a game as The Ocarina Of Time - there is just a little too much pootling around in the boat for starters - but the ever popular series has a worthy addition here. A deep, well-crafted, graphically appealing and typically charming adventure.

Advance Wars 2
Publisher/Developer: Nintendo
Format: GameBoy Advance

A dubious subtitle did not stop this latest instalment in the Console Wars series becoming a justification in itself for buying a GameBoy Advance SP, like 2002's predecessor. Featuring finely balanced turn-based combat, it is a worthy successor to that old-fashioned activity known as chess.

Vice City
Publisher/Developer: Rockstar

Although the PS2 version snuck out late in 2002, it came out on PC in 2003. The range of tasks, the pleasures of free roaming, the selection of vehicles, power-ups and secrets, the decent voice acting and, most importantly, Rockstar's distinctive humour make this a masterpiece.

Prince of Persia
Publisher/Developer: UbiSoft
Format: PS2, PC

Arguably the best 3D adventure game on PS2 in 2003, largely thanks to its excellent control system which allows for enormously satisfying acrobatic moves. Another example of how a 2D game can be reborn in 3D, and with its renditions of a mythical Middle East it is visually splendid.

Call of Duty
Publisher: Activision
Developer: Infinity Ward

A wonderfully comfy control system helps you navigate the dangers of the wide-ranging single-player mode, which takes in missions in a familiar Normandy, a formidable Stalingrad and a satisfying Berlin - all rendered with solid, atmospheric graphics. The year's best WWII title.

Crimson Skies
Publisher/Developer: Microsoft
Format: Xbox

Xbox has come into its own with the explosion of games with decent Xbox Live play. Crimson Skies pips Rainbow Six 3, Project Gotham Racing and so on, because it offers a refreshing alternative with its epic aerial combat as well as excellent single player and Live multiplayer modes.

Soul Calibur 2
Publisher: Nintendo/EA
Developer: Namco
Format: Xbox, GameCube, PS2

For all your beat-em-up requirements look no further than Namco's quality follow-up to the landmark Dreamcast game. Smooth, expansive and stocked with colourful characters, each with distinct moves. Fun for a quick bash or a career-like commitment of time and effort.

Viewtiful Joe
Publisher/Developer: Capcom
XIII
Developer/Publisher: UbiSoft
Format: Xbox, PS2, GameCube, PC

Bit of a cheat for this 10th position I am afraid, but these two both merit a mention on the basis of their striking visuals alone. Cartoony in the case of intense side-scrolling beat-em-up Viewtiful Joe, comic-strip influenced in the case of first-person shooter XIII.

And finally, bubbling under:
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic, EyeToy Play, The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past (GBA), Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Resident Evil Zero, Rise Of Nations, Wario Ware, Mario Kart Double Dash!!

Old 12-21-2003, 06:14 PM   #2
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough
Default RE:2003 Best Games. BBC

I only have 4 of those.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 06:21 PM   #3
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I only have Vice City. I like playing sports games. I'm surprised i bought Vice City.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 06:22 PM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Default RE: 2003 Best Games. BBC

I have Call of Duty, Vice City, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and Rise of Nations.

My 2003 best is Call of Duty, also I liked a lot Blackhawk Down -not listed.

Edit: I got Vice City cause Sir Nash13 started to ask something related to it. I haven't played it much but its images are great, better than GTAIII.

Old 12-21-2003, 06:51 PM   #5
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Chuckle Chuckle Chuckle.

You need to play it more Chiwas, it's the greatest non-sports game of all times. Followed by Max Payne and GTA3.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 06:54 PM   #6
veruca salt
Platinum Member

I have Vice City, Advance Wars 2 (which rules so much), Prince Of Persia & Soul Calibur 2.
I've not played Prince of Persia yet. Vice City I just spend the whole time driving around, changing the radio stations, trying to catch my favourite songs. I didn't think that Soul Calibur 2 was much of a step up from the Dreamcast SC, so i definitely don't think it warrants game of the year status.

Smile like you mean it
Old 12-22-2003, 11:08 AM   #7
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

for me...

Max Payne 2 is the best of 2003. Followed by GTA: Vice City
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:12 AM   #8
Chiwas
Guru

Yeah, Max Payne2 is top 5 for me. Also The Matrix Reloaded and Battlefield 1942.

Old 12-22-2003, 02:47 PM   #9
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Not sure which year it came out, but I thought Fatal Frame 2 is awesome. Crept the hell out of me to the point I played it only during daytime.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:45 PM   #10
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: TripleDipping
Not sure which year it came out, but I thought Fatal Frame 2 is awesome. Crept the hell out of me to the point I played it only during daytime.
ROTFLMAO....that's pretty bad man[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:56 PM   #11
veruca salt
Platinum Member

Sounds like me with any of the Silent Hill games. They scare the crap out of me.
So did Parasite Eve actually.

Smile like you mean it
Old 12-23-2003, 11:04 AM   #12
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Quote:
ROTFLMAO....that's pretty bad man[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Heh... well you're talking to a guy who spends an average of 2 hours a week playing games. That probably shows how much I know about good games. But I love the survival horror genre like resident evil (only the first 2 installments... the latter ones went downhill fast), The Thing, Silent Hill etc.

veruca: Yup Silent Hill is very good... but Fatal Frame is by far the scariest. You'll love it especially if you liked the movie The Ring.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:53 AM   #13
Chiwas
Guru

Freedom Fighters.

Very good game. I just finished it and I can say that it is the best I've played. It has the best friendly user-interface and the most efficient programming for your video card and PC capabilities. The graphics are very good and the argument is just awesome.

The former USSR invades the US. There are no atomic bombs nor WMD's; mere pistols, assault rifles, sniper's, granades, MOLOTOV'S and RPG's. (Disregard: any resemblance with the war in Iraqi must be totally intentional. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])
Old 04-08-2004, 10:55 AM   #14
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

No sports games on there? Madden 2004 was one of the best selling games of 2003!
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:29 AM   #15
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

man, all those games like silent hill, resident evil, etc. creep the hell out of me. i played the first couple resident evils and will not play them anymore at night. i'm serious.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:19 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
No sports games on there? Madden 2004 was one of the best selling games of 2003!
I hate football but I love Madden 2004. It just crosses the strategy of chess with the old NES mega-phenomenon, Tecmo Bowl.

XIII was beautiful
Call of Duty was another WWII game but I love history and it was the best and most accurate game to date.

The American picks choose Star Wars KOTOR by an enormous margin. It was supposed to be phenomenal and after playing it I think its one of the best RPGs (I dont like Star Wars but Im a girl so I'm automatically destined to be inclined to like RPGs). Rise of Nations was incredible too. My friends used to get 10-15 people together and it was like playing Risk while driving at 50 mph.

Talking about scary games though...I've been working on Far Cry for a while and even that game freaks me out. I don't mind killing thousands of mercenaries but when you leave the tropical island and go inside where there is blood on the walls, elevator doors that creak but only open enough to see the gore on the other side and flashing lights that swing making all sorts of shadows...I cant play more than 10 minutes at a time.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:41 PM   #17
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

I rarely play non-sports games, but vice city is an exception. That game is killer. They left out NBA street vol. II, that game is hot, and so is this new one NBA ballers (expect that on next year's list). And I want to give fatal frame II a try, since I like horror movies and got a kick out of silent hill/resident evil.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 01:54 PM   #18
Chiwas
Guru

"Don't fall in love with you video game, Juni"

- Grandfather, Spy Kids 3D.

Sir Nash: Please tell me how I kill 8 guys in 8 minutes and how I put 4 bombs with the toy chopper in 3 minutes. Help!