Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Music Buffs

I was driving through the DFW metroplex today listening to the Ticket and at around 5:30pm (The Hardline with Mike and Corby), there was a segment about the recycling of music, especially rock from the 60s and 70s. If you guys had the chance to listen to this, you know what I'm talking about.

Anyways, they went on to play a few songs that they felt greatly affected their lives, and these songs were special because they were each released many, many years before their time (Mike and Corby grew up in the 80s but the songs were from the 60s). References to Led Zepplin, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, and others were being discussed.

So, this got me to thinking about the different phases of music that I've gone through so far in my life.
From 0-12:
I just listened to whatever that my parents played in the car. I was too young to really love music or decipher between the different types of music, I just knew that my dad loved listening to stuff from where he came from and he enjoyed Santana because he played the guitar.
From 12-17:
I just went with whatever was "cool" at the time, as a teenager the main thing everyone was worried about in school was trying to fit in with the crowd. This should be considered the MTV era for me, I listened to pop music and alternative rock.
From 18-20:
As I grew older, and moved out of the house to start college life... I got into R&B, rap, and hip hop. This included West Coast rap, East Coast rap, Southern rap, pretty much the music that the clubs were playing at the time. Pretty normal for people this age.
From 21-today:
After two years of college in Texas, I trasnferred to a school in California to finish out my bachelor's degree. I honestly do not know what started it but I'm sure a huge part of it was because I missed Texas and all things Texans, but I started to get into country music... I know I know, what a drastic change from rap. Country was the only thing I listened to when I first moved to California, new stuff, old stuff, everything. I'm still a huge country fan today but I'm also a fan of every type of music. I don't like it when people answer to the question "what type of music do you listen to?" with "everything, except country." I was one of these people for the first 21 years of my life, until I gave it a chance and I quickly fell in love with the genre.

I am starting this thread for all the classic rock buffs out there: I dabbed into Journey and Hendrix for a little bit a few years back, but it never caught on like with the other musical phases that I went through... mainly because I was getting into country at the same time, so it was just too much to handle haha. However, I'm wanting to give the genre another chance to win me over. I mean, I love the classics and the hits that are common to everyone, I know those melodies and lyrics. But, I want to dive deeper into the music type.

So, if you have any suggestions of songs that I should listen to, please feel free to share them. I'm talking about stuff from Hendrix, The Beatles, The Doors, Clapton, etc. These can include all of the big hits like "Stairway to Heaven" or the hidden gems that aren't that well known, I just want to immerse myself into the rock music that was so prominent during this time period.

Thank you in advance!

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

You might do equally well by immersing yourself in the roots of country music. Take it all the way back to the beginning. Jimmie Rodgers was Elvis before there was an Elvis. What you are really talking about here is Americana, a concept that is far separated from what most folks think when they hear "country"--and a concept that informed the very beginnings of rock and roll. One of my favorite CD's is the one I have of modern artists covering old Jimmie Rodgers songs. They are as pure now as they were then.

Move on to Hank Williams. Again, this guy was the equivalent to what something like Coldplay would be today. Except he was even bigger. And ballsier. After Hank the environment changed, but it's important to know where you come from.

Past that things changed a lot, but Gram Parsons is an important link between the past and the present. He was the one, nominally, who fused country and rock in the modern era. Start with the Byrds' "Sweetheart of the Rodeo." Move on through The Eagles. Finish with Uncle Tupelo's "No Depression" and Son Volt and Whiskeytown and all the rest. Enjoy Johnny Cash's late projects. Americana as best it can be done.

Have a good time with classic rock. But immerse yourself in Americana, and you may gain an appreciation of a century-long genre, which quietly informs most of what we consider modern rock.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:10 AM   #3
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Very interesting alby!

I wouldn't consider myself a big time expert when it comes to classic rock, but I would recommend:
1. Aerosmith - Dream On
2. Don McLean - American Pie
3. Derek and the Dominoes - Layla
4. Anything by THE DOORS!

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
2. Don McLean - American Pie
I'd hardly call AP classic rock. Don McLean is a total folkie, and the song is much more "folk-rock" (whatever that is) than classic rock. I have an early recording of it by his good friend and idol, Pete Seeger, with some modified lyrics, that was made about a week after McLean finished it. But I suppose it very much goes with Chum's suggestion of Americana.

(I basically think "American Pie" is the greatest song ever written, so I'm commenting on it)

I can't tell you anything about classic rock, but I would definitely recommend what Chum says - look into the roots of rock and roll, particularly the blues elements. Bo Diddley is my one recommendation to add to what he said.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

alby, after seeing your thread on Music Buffs, I think I can be of some help. I spent most of my high school day (the early and mid 60's) in England. I saw such groups as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton (with two different bands), the Animals, The Kinks, The Who, The Spencer Davis Group, The Yarbirds, and many more live.

I have created alby's magic jukebox, for you and any others who might want to listen to some great classic rock ,n roll. I have started you out with five songs. Let me know if you want more and I would be glad to add more. (Starting out with more oldies than actual "classic 70's rock, these set the stage for later groups)

Just click on alby's magic jukebox to get started.

Last edited by left texas; 04-11-2009 at 02:44 PM.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

disc 1 of the Beatle's White album should be considered standard listening material for everyone
Old 03-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Kirobaito, I agree with you. I just wanted him to love it like we do =)

left texas, that is really cool!

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by left texas View Post
alby, after seeing your thread on Music Buffs, I think I can be of some help. I spent most of my high school day (the early and mid 60's) in England. I saw such groups as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton (with two different bands), the Animals, The Kinks, The Who, The Spencer Davis Group, The Yarbirds, and many more live.

I have created alby's magic jukebox, for you and any others who might want to listen to some great classic rock ,n roll. I have started you out with five songs. Let me know if you want more and I would be glad to add more. (Starting out with more oldies than actual "classic 70's rock, these set the stage for later groups)

Seriously, I appreciate this so much. I've been listening to it all weekend. If you can add a couple more songs each week, that would be great. Once again, thank you so much!

Contact Me
Old 03-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-15-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #10
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Seriously, I appreciate this so much. I've been listening to it all weekend. If you can add a couple more songs each week, that would be great. Once again, thank you so much!
You got it, will probably add around 5 each week.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #11
left texas
Golden Member

Alby just a few tidbits on some of the songs currently on your jukebox.

96 Tears by ? and the Mysterians. Was originally supposed to be 69 Tears, but could not get by the censors, so the title was changed to 96 Tears. Boy have times changed.

Itchycoo Park by The Small Faces. This songs was banned by the BBC in 1967 because of its drug references. The band went to the BBC and told them that it was a piece of waste ground in the East End that the band had played on as kids, the BBC lifted its ban.

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) by Jimi Hendrix. When I saw Hendrix you will never never guess who was on the same bill with him, ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK!!!!!!!! Only in the 60's.

Waterloo Sunset by the Kinks. This song was about a solitary man on the south bank of the Thames watching (or imagining) the romantic encounters of a couple at Waterloo Underground. My roomate had a brother named Terry and his girlfriend was Julie, thus one of my favorite Kink songs.

Summertime Blues by The Who. I got to see The Who several times and I will say for sure that they were the loudest band I have ever heard live. The only group that I have seen that was even close was Matallica.

Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones: When I saw the Stones they were opened for by a group call the Spencer Davis Group. I think that group did more to set my music preference than any other. The group featured a (I think) 17 year old Steve Windwood.

Just thought you might find this interesting.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 PM   #12
alby
Guru

I can't get enough of this stuff man. Thanks so much!

I have She's Not There, Paint it Black, and Voodoo Child on constant repeat. Jimi seriously is the greatest of all time. Has there been anyone as awesome as this guy?

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 03-16-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:17 AM   #13
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I saw them at Texas Stadium back in '94. Were you there?

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
left texas
Golden Member

5 more for alby

Dream On by Aerosmith. The first time I saw Aerosmith live I swore I would never waste my money again. They were so screwed up you couldn't even tell what they were playing. They cleaned up there act and came back and were the opening band at one of the Texas Jams. There were great!

For Your Love by the Yardbirds. This band was the first time I ever saw Eric Clapton, they were tight. Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page (of Led Zepplin fame) would also end up playing for the Yardbirds.

LaGrange by ZZ Top. What else can you say, but one of the greatest bands of all time.

Young Lust by Pink Floyd. This cut is off the album "The Wall". Seeing them live was one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Bad Company by Bad Company. Paul Rogers has one of the most classic rock and roll voices of all time. I think they are back together and if they play Dallas make sure you go and see this group.

alby, I hope you enjoy these. Of course more to follow.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #15
alby
Guru

keep em coming! =]

Contact Me
Old 03-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I can honestly say that I don't like one group that you mentioned.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #17
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

with a collection of songs as varied as the beatles have, it's inconceivable that you don't have one single song of theirs you like murphy.....
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say that I hate every Beatles song.. I just don't like them that much in general. I don't think you have to unamiously dislike every song from a group to decide that you do not like the group. Let's just say that if they were in their prime and touring, I would have zero interest in seeing them perform..... unless I was just their to pick up a little tail.

Last edited by Murphy3; 03-23-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #19
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I saw them at Texas Stadium back in '94. Were you there?

I was and unless I was that messed up they DID fly a helicopter directly over the stadiums open roof. Pretty intense and amazing. Hands down the best BIG concert I have ever been a part of.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #20
left texas
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I can honestly say that I don't like one group that you mentioned.
Murphy3, is there any groups you like from the 60's or 70's? I see you weren't born until the late 70's so that could explain your taste or not caring for classic rock. I was born in 1950 and can only say that I fell very privileged to have been able to spend my teen years in England when the British invasion was happening.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #21
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

BTO, Van Halen, CCR, Rush, U2, America, and Steve Miller are definite places to start, IMO.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 03-23-2009 at 03:29 PM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #22
left texas
Golden Member

5 more for alby

House Of The Rising Sun by The Animals 1964 One of the first bands I ever saw and one of the most soulful
Spinning Wheel by Blood Sweat & Tears 1969 Another band with strong blues roots.
Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams 1984 Just a great song.
American Woman by The Guess Who 1970 Canadian Band with the lyrics strongly talking about Americas war machine.
Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd 1974 Southern rock at its best.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #23
left texas
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
BTO, Van Halen, CCR, Rush, U2, America, and Steve Miller are definite places to start, IMO.
Great bands great music, I will feature five of these next.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #24
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
5 more for alby

House Of The Rising Sun by The Animals 1964 One of the first bands I ever saw and one of the most soulful
Spinning Wheel by Blood Sweat & Tears 1969 Another band with strong blues roots.
Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams 1984 Just a great song.
American Woman by The Guess Who 1970 Canadian Band with the lyrics strongly talking about Americas war machine.
Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd 1974 Southern rock at its best.
Nice, especially Skynyrd..........the others are all excellent as well.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 03-23-2009 at 04:58 PM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #25
alby
Guru

thank you sir

Contact Me
Old 03-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #26
left texas
Golden Member

alby here is a video I made a couple of years back featuring the some of the greatest rock and roll songs of all time. Be warned it is about 30 minutes long, but not only do you get to hear some great music, but also see them. A real trip down memory lane for me. I hope you enjoy and anyone else that has the fortitude to watch. Just get a favorite beverage and sit back. Left Texas.

Of course this is all hosted and paid for by me.

LINK TO GEATEST ROCK SONGS OF ALL TIME
Old 03-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #27
alby
Guru

starting the video now. thank you so much.

Contact Me
Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #28
left texas
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
starting the video now. thank you so much.
I just finished watching it,(it's been a while) man some great stuff if I say so myself. I know it is not everyone cup of tea, but for true rockers it's good!!

Last edited by left texas; 03-23-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #29
left texas
Golden Member

5 more for alby: dalmations202 suggestions

Living In The USA by Steve Miller
Run Through The Jungle by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Tom Sawyer by Rush
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet by Bachman Turner Overdrive
Sister Golden Hair by America
Old 03-29-2009, 07:12 AM   #30
left texas
Golden Member

I thought I might share with you quite an event that happen this summer, I hosted my high schools 40 class reunion in downtown Greenville, SC. As I have mentioned I attended three years of high school in England at Lakenheath. We had over 100 attend and virtually all 50 states were represented and one lady who had married a Bristish doctor flew in from London.

One of the big events was the reuniting of our high school band the 4 Demensions. We played at a local Pub and have to say we were quite a hit (for only having 30 minutes to rehearse, or should I say pick out songs). Here is a sample of the some the songs we played back then and then jammed together again 40 years later. I have attached some pictures just to show this really happened.

These songs are a bit older but hey it was what we had at the time, and our parents sure did not like it. LINK TO albys JUKEBOX

Johnny B Goode by Chuck Berry
Steppin' Out by Paul Revere & The Raiders
Gloria by The Shadows Of Knight
Heatwave by Martha & The Vandellas
Sloop John B by The Beach Boys

The lady singing back up is my bride (we attended high school together)

Here I am best guitar face and all.

Last edited by left texas; 03-29-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 AM   #31
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

The Albys Jukebox is simply great.

A nice Beatles song, not necessarly known to all is "I am the walrus"
Old 03-29-2009, 10:01 AM   #32
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

here are my top 60's albums (no specific order):

Highway 61 Revisted, Bob Dylan. It's hard to decide between Dylan's catalogue, Blonde on Blonde is great but he's so stoned out then, his early folk works (esp. bringing it all back home) are great too. then there's country-folk nashville skyline/john wesley harding period. it's tough to choose.

Rubber Soul, Beatles. toss up with Revolver really, both are more pure than the higher styled Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road and White album songs. all the beatles albums could be on this list.

Led Zeppelin I. great, simply great blues oriented rock. a taste of the greatness to follow.

Five Leaves Left, Nick Drake. an artist that left too little too early. simple, great.

Let It Bleed, Stones. a bit better than beggars banquet, they show that the stones weren't just second fiddle to the beatles.

Bookends, Simon & Garfunkle. paul simon is perhaps our greatest songwriter, ever.

Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus, Spirit. way ahead of its time and unappreciated.

Tommy, The Who. perhaps the best concept album ever done.

Disraeli Gears, Cream. another british group doing great american blues.

Blind Faith. if you like cream, this is even better. steve winwood adds a lot.

Strange Days, The Doors. aptly named, a great work of 60's pop.

top 70's next.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #33
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

Out of curiosity, what do you guys think of newer rock? I don't mean the little sister's pants and eyeliner rock, rather the 90's Pearl Jam/Stone Temple Pilots/Offspring (smash)/etc rock.

I personally love all music, but am very partial to rock. That being said I was born a little too late for "true" rock, so I really am more familiar with the rock of the 90's. I have to say that I absolutely love the Steve Miller Band, as well as a plethora of other 60's-70's rock.. But I always end up reverting back to either mid-late 90's rock or late 90's-early 00's "hardcore."
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:10 PM   #34
left texas
Golden Member

Covers are most of the time let down versions of the original song, but sometimes a band takes the original and expands on it. I personally like it when bands have influenced the original with heavy doses of guitar. The following are five songs that I think are in that mold.

Train Kept A Rollin'-Aerosmith-cover of a Tiny Bradshaw song
Chain Of Fools-Little Caeser-cover of Aretha Franklins song
I'm Losing You-Schenker-Pattison, Summit-cover of the Temptations song
Crossroads-Cream-cover of the Robert Johnson song
American Woman-Lenny Kravidtz-cover of the Guess Who song

alby let me know what you think, and are you interested in any more music?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #35
alby
Guru

left texas

sorry, I had a couple of friends visit last week so I haven't been on my computer at all. I'm going to listen to the songs tonight. thank you so much, keep em coming =]

Contact Me
Old 03-31-2009, 05:04 PM   #36
TheMaverick
Golden Member

this jukebox is so cool

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 03-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #37
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

This is a pretty cool thread...I'll go through some of my music taste over the years, needless to say it has changed with the times, but what I listened to in the mid to late 80's is what brings back the best of memories.

I've gone from Abba, to Kiss, to Styx, to Queensryche, to RUN DMC and Whodini...followed up by a ton of 80's Metal bands...then onto Alternative Christian bands and finally to Country & Western.

I'll be ready to have a blast on the 18th of April with Jimmy Buffett...perhaps simple music, but truly a great time to get together, drink too much, eat too much and just relax and enjoy being together while we escape from reality.

I'm nowhere near a pro when it comes to music, but sharing the music that I've enjoyed over the years and discovering what others enjoy is always something that I enjoy doing.

Again, great topic and cool thread!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:01 PM   #38
Mavdog
Diamond Member

1970s best albums:

What's Going On, Marvin Gaye. this album is a twofold experience, perhaps the pinnacle of the motown sound and also a snapshot of america leaving the 60s for the 70s.

Rumours, Fleetwood Mac. A bit of a soap opera story set to music, the harmonies and riffs are tremendous.

My Aim is True, Elvis Costelo. the beginning of retro-rock that engulfed the 80s, Costello bridged the early rock n roll with the post punk sound.

Who's Next, The Who. So many classic sounds that were copied for the next decade, not as raw and real as their past works but the beginning of electronic rock.

Led Zeppelin IV. how could a list of 70s albums not have at least one of theirs on it? they dominated the decade.

Sticky Fingers, Rolling Stones. Just some of the best rock n roll from one of the most consistent rock groups ever.

Pretzel Logic, Steely Dan. Great songs, creative sound. A timepiece of the era.

Deja Vu, Crosby Stills Nash & Young. This really is a 60's sound but it was released in the 70s. Still worth listening to, although it's hard to believe that crosby actually could sound as good as he did.

The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle. Bruce Springsteen. springsteen before he was known and before he read all his praise in the press.

Fillmore East, Allman Bros. those double lead guitars, wonderful blues oriented rock. hard choice vs eat a peach.

Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd. how could anyone have a 70s list without pink floyd? always liked it better than the wall.

Saturate Before Using, Jackson Browne. Folk rock that stills sounds great today.

For The Roses, Joni Mitchell. Her voice is so clear, the melodies are so good. her earlier album, blue, is also great but it is so...blue. this is a much happier work.

Feats Don't Fail Me Now, Little Feat. A little bit country, a little bit folk, a lot rock n roll with a horn section.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #39
left texas
Golden Member

92bDad & Mavdog, great stuff! I will feature some of this for alby on my next 10 songs. Some great bands and great music. To tie in with this tread maybe we should list the bands we have seen live. I will start, and must say I have seen a lot of concerts in my life and is why I am going to have to think of getting hearing aids soon! So here I go: (Many I have seen more than once)

Jay & The Americans (my first concert ever)
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Kinks
The Who
Jimi Hendrix
The Yardbirds
The Spencer Davis Group
The Animals
The Troggs
Cream
The Hollies
The Dobbie Brothers
The Pretenders
Pink Floyd
Metallica
Queensryche
Peter Framton
Paul Revere & The Raiders
ZZ Top
Santana
Aerosmith
Steve Miller
Pat Travers
Heart
The Black Crows
Tesla
Deep Purple
Ted Nugent
Lita Ford
Kiss
The Scorpions
DRB
Boston
Van Halen
Boston
Reo Speedwagon
AC/DC
Bon Jovi
Cinderella
Def Leppard
The Eagles
Mellisa Ethridge
Foghat
Guns n Roses
Havana Black
Yes
Krokus
Lynyrd Skynryd
The Moody Blues
Night Range
Motley Crue
Neil Young
Omar & The Howlers
Rush
Stevie Ray Vaugha
Styx
The Tragically Hip
Whitesnake
Journey
Bad Company
Great White

And no disrespect to any band I have forgotten
Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #40
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Some of my favs (mostly Alt, Indie & Electronica)

Muse- Absolute Fav.
Fear of Music
MGMT
Blonde Redhead
Tiestio
Julian France
The Pixies
Smashing Pumpkins
She Wants Revenge
Audioslave
Rob Dougan
Vampire Weekend