Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2001, 01:59 PM   #1
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

How about acquiring Travis Best in the offseason to back up Nash? I don't think Pacers management is real high on his ability, seeing as how he's playing backup to ROSE at the point, which I still think is ridiculous... and I know many of the fans lack confidence in him. I'll bet we could get him real cheap, and he would be a steal in terms of talent...

Being a big Pacer fan, I know most of their players pretty well, and just about all of Best's flaws are mental... he dribbles too much, he shoots a bit too much, he doesn't always distribute the ball well, and he sometimes tries to take over games in the fourth period where he isn't always capable (Tim Hardaway Syndrome). But Best is loaded with talent... he is quick, he can finish his shots, he is a great shooter, a great passer, and he fields the best assist-to-turnover ratio in the NBA. I believe he has played under average to below-average coaching for the majority of his career, leaving his game flawed... but under the right environment, with the great coaching of Don Nelson and the great talent developing of Kiki Vandeweghe, I believe Best could flourish into a downright incredible backup point guard for the Mavericks... what do y'all think?