Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-26-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
bgrant44

bgrant44 is on a distinguished road
Default Who will be our 2nd string C?

Hi, I assume our next year roster as following.

Terry/ Harris/ DA
Stack/ quis/ ?
Howard/ ? /
Dirk/ KVH / Powell
Damp/ ? / DJ

NBDL : Pavel

I heard we are still struggling with the decision for Fin. If the team like Chicago takes him, he can be released, I think.
We can know Dirk and KVH will cover some SF and Terry will cover some SG. So, we don't need to worry about PT.
My only concern is Backup C.

Just check this for reference.

36Min Playing time.
PPG Dampier 12.1 Pachulia 11.8 Hunter 10.2 Traylor 11.1 Davis 7.9 Moore 12.2
RPG Dampier 11.2 Pachulia 9.7 Hunter 7.8 Traylor 9.1 Davis 10.3 Moore 7.5
Shoot% Dampier 55% Pachulia 45% Hunter 61% Traylor 44% Davis 48% Moore 50%
FT% Dampier 61% Pachulia 75% Hunter 48% Traylor 54% Davis 61% Moore 79%
Blocks Dampier 1.8 Pachulia 1 Hunter 3.5 Traylor 1.37 Davis 1.8 Moore 0.97
Steals Dampier 0.4 Pachulia 1.1 Hunter 0.1 Traylor 1.47 Davis 0.8 Moore 0.59
Assists Dampier 1.2 Pachulia 1.5 Hunter 0.5 Traylor 1.6 Davis 1.3 Moore 1.36
TO Dampier 2.2 Pachulia 1.9 Hunter 1.5 Traylor 2 Davis 1.2 Moore 1.9
PF Dampier 4.6 Pachulia 4.2 Hunter 4.4 Traylor 5.8 Davis 4.5 Moore 5.2

Who will be the best choice??
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2005, 09:22 PM   #2
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Who will be our 2nd string C?

Isn't that what we've been discussing this whole time?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

People here like Pachulia, I personally think Steven Hunter would be perfect.

KVH would back up Dirk and Josh Howard.

Contact Me
Old 07-26-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all
Default RE: Who will be our 2nd string C?

Mbenga back up center, Powell backup 3/4
Old 07-26-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
alby
Guru

No thank you.

Contact Me
Old 07-26-2005, 09:44 PM   #6
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Would it be soooo bad to see Damp for 32 mins a game and Benga/Pavel for the other 16 mins. Eight mins a piece should have them ready for the playoffs.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:46 PM   #7
alby
Guru

Pavel getting 8 minutes a game would be a terrible sight.

I would be all for Damp getting heavy minutes if he could stay out of foul trouble, cliche i know, but his presence on the court makes us a whole lot better whether you like it or not.

Contact Me
Old 07-26-2005, 10:35 PM   #8
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I don't think the second string center is on the roster yet. I think the team has been waiting as long as they could this summer to see what they have with Dj and Pavel. Now, they know that both players can be contributers at some point, or at least, they think so. However, they also know that aren't quite ready for prime time just yet. Expect some veteran stop gap to be signed.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:46 PM   #9
bgantz

bgantz is on a distinguished road

i like steven hunter the best...or reggie evans for 4/5 combo
bgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:47 PM   #10
bgantz

bgantz is on a distinguished road

i'm also curious to see what happens with antonio davis of chicago.
bgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:59 PM   #11
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

Has anybody thought of putting KVH as the starting SF and Howard as the starting SG?
Both stack and KVH are offensive players, so we bench stack because he has been good at it. Dirk and KVH are insane together. They can dismantle any defense.
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:08 AM   #12
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

KVH is way too slow to be a 3. Mbenga is READY to be the backup center, and starting center against Phoenix. He is the only one that can guard Amare. I dont care what you say now, but you will see once the season starts. I hope that Pavel plays in the NBDL or Europe.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:31 AM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Lebanese_Fan
Has anybody thought of putting KVH as the starting SF and Howard as the starting SG?
Both stack and KVH are offensive players, so we bench stack because he has been good at it. Dirk and KVH are insane together. They can dismantle any defense.
That works in special cases when we play a small forward who isnt T-Mac or Des-Mas. If its Peja, Im all for it.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:43 AM   #14
alby
Guru

I think that lineup would work only on some accounts, not for long stretches.. and on defense, we would probably have to play the 2, 3 zone

and we all know zone defenses are great only in spurts

Contact Me
Old 07-27-2005, 02:18 AM   #15
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

Dampier just needs to step up so all this is not such a huge issue. For us to contend Damp has to be a dominate center. Who was Shaqs back up in LA- Shaun Rooks, Travis knight. David Robinsons? Hakeem? My point is our fear dosn't need to be who backs up Damp, just how well Damp plays. DJ and Pavel are both better than Travis Knight. TRAVIS KNIGHT for god sake.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2005, 02:26 AM   #16
bgrant44

bgrant44 is on a distinguished road

I know one case.
Big Cuban's mistake...Evan Eschmeyer..??

His stats was just like that before his contract.

3.4ppg, 4.9rpg, 0.5ast, 0.8blk, 18min, 46%FG%, 66%FT

with 36min stats

6.8ppg, 9.8rpg, 1ast, 1.6blk, 46%FG, 66%FT, 6Foul...

What's the difference among many centers above(Assume 9Mil, 3year value)
Obina Ekezie? 6Foul..Diop? 6Foul...Bradley? His 36min stats is 6.2 Foul.
I don't want see "Damp and 2nd C's quick 2 Foul...Then Dirk is C" situation.

I will take Dale Davis anyway. He is proven and productive player still. He manages game well.
He will be our best choice.

Next? Zaza..4.2Foul

Then Hunter. But, he is injury-prone. Even his stats is over-rated with Phoenix's run and gun game.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:50 AM   #17
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: snoop
Dampier just needs to step up so all this is not such a huge issue. For us to contend Damp has to be a dominate center. Who was Shaqs back up in LA- Shaun Rooks, Travis knight. David Robinsons? Hakeem? My point is our fear dosn't need to be who backs up Damp, just how well Damp plays. DJ and Pavel are both better than Travis Knight. TRAVIS KNIGHT for god sake.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
That's true, but those guys can play 40+ minutes a night and still be dominant. Dampier, even when not in foul trouble (very rare), would not be able to do this on a consistent basis and that is why we need a decent backup center. We can not and should not be comparing Erick Dampier to Shaq, Drob, or the Dream. =]

Potentially no, but Travis Knight is ahead of DJ and Pavel IMO because he played 4 years of college ball and the understanding of how to play the game is superior to DJ's and Pavel's at this stage in their young careers. We all know basketball is not all about how big, fast, or athletic you are.

Contact Me
Old 07-27-2005, 07:41 AM   #18
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Steven hunter is terrible. That's really all I can say about the guy. He's terrible.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:58 AM   #19
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

We need stack to become a scary offensive player that defenses think twice about, just like he was 3 years ago. Some attention should be taken of dirk on offense so he can still be effectibe in the playoffs.
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:19 PM   #20
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I am hoping that we sign Dale Davis or Othella Harrington. I know, boring names, but good solid role players that were rotation players on 04/05 playoff teams.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:43 PM   #21
alby
Guru

Cuban doesn't believe in picking up good solid rotation players =P

Contact Me
Old 07-29-2005, 08:59 AM   #22
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
It does seem that we try to go with the flashy acquistion, someone who is more suited for star than roleplayer. If that doesn't work we've always seemed to have tried and acquire the unconventional roleplayer. Someone way past their prime or for some other reason is especially desireable to the rest of the league. It's like we're committed to swinging for the fenses every time and refuse to even think about taking a base on balls.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:11 AM   #23
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

We had role players in Adrian Griffin, Shawn Bradley, Raja Bell, Alan Henderson, Greg Bucknor, Najera, Lafrentz, etc, etc, etc.

You still have to have enough talent to win. A team either has to have 2 players that can't be defended, ie TMac, Kobe, KGarnett, Shaq.... with role players surrounding them, or they have to play like a team with 1 dominant go-to player, and several other players who can dominate if you don't double team then. Detroit doesn't win w/o Rasheed and the fact that he can go inside or out. SA doesn't win w/o Ginobli/Parker ability to take the double off Duncan.

If Dirk is the go-to guy, then you need others to share the load, or get him another super-star to play beside him. Preferably a super-star that can dominate inside, so he can be the outside threat. IE... I think Dirk/Shaq would be unstoppable, if you put defensive guys at the other 3 spots. They would absolutely control the frontcourt, and the paint.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:17 AM   #24
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Steven hunter is terrible. That's really all I can say about the guy. He's terrible.
I'm glad someone said it. Dude sucks.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:24 AM   #25
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

I hear that Shawn Bradley is going to retire...maybe we could talk him out of retirement and joining our club...oh wait. I'm sorry I thought this was the Pheonix/ex-Mavs sight. My bad.
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:26 AM   #26
cripple balls

cripple balls is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
I use to think that a strong bench was important. But does it really matter in the playoffs when every coach shortens his bench and the starters get almost all the minutes. I kind of like what Phoenix is doing in investing all they're money in just getting 5 badass starters and not caring much about the bench. I think we have two championship caliber starters in Dirk and Howard, and that we should always look for opportunities to move some of our depth to add another stud to the starting rotation.
cripple balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:41 AM   #27
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Ultimately I really want to see jho become more of a sg than a sf.. I think he's got some really special skills there if he could really get his shot down. He's absolutely unstoppable with the ball and he has more body control than anyone on the mavs last year. He could really be a special offensive player if he is posted up more.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:53 AM   #28
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, JHO in the post, and Dirk and KVH out on the perimeter, with Terry spotted up, and (athletic center who can shoot the 15' or Damp) on backside rebound/cutter/ pick setter duty. That would make for some interesting matchups, if the offense were a more passing style offense, instead of a pick-n-role style. It would also put smaller defenders in the paint when Dirk/KVH were to drive. - interesting thoughts.............

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:03 PM   #29
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

I think Nene from Denver would be a good backup center for us. He is quick and can run the floor, and he's early 20's. Denver needs a shooting guard!?
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:45 PM   #30
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Nene would be a stud and push dampier big time. I'm on board.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:55 PM   #31
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Everyone who leaves Phoenix seems to be terrible... Even Joe Johnson isn't that important any more, because they "whipped" us 4:2...

Why don'T you choose to go to a Suns-Board and stop pissing us of, madape!?

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #32
D-town funkadellic

D-town funkadellic is on a distinguished road

Interesting question. I think our 2nd string center should be Dale Davis. The guy played like a beast when Squirmaine O'Neal was out last season, and continued to play like a beast for the remainder of the season. He's kind of old ('bout 35) but last year he showed he still had plenty of gas left in the tank. Last season with Indiana, he averaged 8.9 rpg. Steven Hunter can't do that and he's still a fresh-legged pup. We havent had a good veteran inside presence since... hmm... Cedric Ceballos?? Ok, thats a stretch, but seriously- look at what Alan Henderson gave us last season. He was one of my favorite bench players on the team because he hustled so hard every night. Dale Davis brings that same intensity. We need somebody to get down and dirty and throw some bows in the paint, and Dampier doesnt do that enough. Davis would be a great energy type player coming off the bench and I think he would dramatically increase the effectiveness of our inside game.

$0.02
D-town funkadellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:26 AM   #33
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I would love to see mutumbo. Sure Deke is like a 100, but he can play effectively in spurts. The mavs just need a 10-15 minute a night center.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:11 PM   #34
cripple balls

cripple balls is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Eman
I think Nene from Denver would be a good backup center for us. He is quick and can run the floor, and he's early 20's. Denver needs a shooting guard!?
I would love some Nene, but your dreaming here.
cripple balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:15 PM   #35
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

What exactly has Steven Hunter proven? Nothing.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:29 AM   #36
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

Just read on CBSsportsline.com that the Clippers are trying to trade Chris Wilcox, 22 year old center. 8 points 4.2 rebounds last year in only 18 minutes.................

Might be a good backup for Damp???!!!!!
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #37
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
What exactly has Steven Hunter proven? Nothing.
At this point, he's proven more than DJ has.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:04 PM   #38
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

Steven Hunter
Old 08-12-2005, 04:49 AM   #39
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Mavs switch gears on big-man search

By DWAIN PRICE
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

The Mavericks were unable to sign the inside player they coveted the most this off-season when Phoenix Suns free agent center Steven Hunter signed a five-year, $17 million contract Thursday with the Philadelphia 76ers.

With free agents Dale Davis and Brian Grant probably out of their price range -- and with Dikembe Mutombo leaning toward re-signing with Houston -- the Mavs are hoping to sign either DeSagana Diop, Mikki Moore or Ervin Johnson to serve as Erick Dampier's backup.

Diop, a restricted free agent with the Cleveland Cavaliers, has climbed the Mavs' wish list after a solid showing in the Las Vegas summer league. Diop struggled with the Cavs.

After being the eighth overall pick of the 2001 NBA Draft out of Oak Hill (Va.) Academy, Diop developed slowly and didn't play much behind all-star center Zydrunas Ilgauskas. In 193 career games during his four years with the Cavs, he averaged 1.6 points and 2.6 rebounds in only 10.8 minutes per game.

The Mavs, however, believe, at age 23, Diop is ready to prove his worth in the NBA. But they also have their eyes on Moore.

Moore, 7-foot, 223 pounds, is a seven-year journeyman who has played for Detroit, Boston, Atlanta, New Jersey, Utah and the Los Angeles Clippers.

Last year with the Clippers, Moore, who'll turn 30 on Nov. 4, averaged 5.4 points and 3.3 rebounds in 15.9 minutes per game.

Meanwhile, Johnson, 37, is a 12-year veteran who has played with Seattle, Denver, Milwaukee and Minnesota. Johnson averaged 1.6 points and 2.5 rebounds in 8.9 minutes per game last season for the Timberwolves.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:49 AM   #40
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Mavs switch gears on big-man search

By DWAIN PRICE
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

The Mavericks were unable to sign the inside player they coveted the most this off-season when Phoenix Suns free agent center Steven Hunter signed a five-year, $17 million contract Thursday with the Philadelphia 76ers.

With free agents Dale Davis and Brian Grant probably out of their price range -- and with Dikembe Mutombo leaning toward re-signing with Houston -- the Mavs are hoping to sign either DeSagana Diop, Mikki Moore or Ervin Johnson to serve as Erick Dampier's backup.

Diop, a restricted free agent with the Cleveland Cavaliers, has climbed the Mavs' wish list after a solid showing in the Las Vegas summer league. Diop struggled with the Cavs.

After being the eighth overall pick of the 2001 NBA Draft out of Oak Hill (Va.) Academy, Diop developed slowly and didn't play much behind all-star center Zydrunas Ilgauskas. In 193 career games during his four years with the Cavs, he averaged 1.6 points and 2.6 rebounds in only 10.8 minutes per game.

The Mavs, however, believe, at age 23, Diop is ready to prove his worth in the NBA. But they also have their eyes on Moore.

Moore, 7-foot, 223 pounds, is a seven-year journeyman who has played for Detroit, Boston, Atlanta, New Jersey, Utah and the Los Angeles Clippers.

Last year with the Clippers, Moore, who'll turn 30 on Nov. 4, averaged 5.4 points and 3.3 rebounds in 15.9 minutes per game.

Meanwhile, Johnson, 37, is a 12-year veteran who has played with Seattle, Denver, Milwaukee and Minnesota. Johnson averaged 1.6 points and 2.5 rebounds in 8.9 minutes per game last season for the Timberwolves.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote