Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #121
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCH-17 View Post
If he doesn't we won't make it back to the Finals.
right;/

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #122
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Two things:

1. I don't understand how you can say that he's a good fit with Dirk and Marion when he can't be on the floor with both of them.
sefant answered it for me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
He is a good fit because this three could pull off a great forward rotation, keeping everyones minutes low, winning games and going fresh into the playoffs. He proved last november and december that he (finally) adjusted his game and he was a great fit (and 2nd best Mavs in december).
Caron's a great complement to Dirk and Marion, keeping them fresh while offering decent contributions himself. Right now, we're looking at Brewer and Cardinal (or any other cheap player that's available) as our complements. Not too promising. I like Brewer, but I don't want to count on him being able to deliver more than could be reasonably expected.

Quote:
2. I'ts not 6 million, it's 12 million. And keep in mind that we're going to have to stay under the Luxury Tax twice in the next five years or face even more ridiculous penalties. You can no longer just say "I really don't want to lose him, eff it we'll give him an extra year even though we really don't want to".
Wouldn't it be awfully disappointing to see Cubes and Donnie worry about paying dollar-for-dollar luxury tax and staying under the luxury tax in two of the next five seasons RIGHT NOW?

This upcoming season could very well be our final campaign. Both Kidd and Jet's contracts are set to expire and who knows what's going to happen with these two guys after next summer. Dirk and Marion are getting older as well.

Shouldn't we be willing to pay an additional $6 million (or $12 million) to give us our best shot one more time and worry about saving money when our current boys in blue are done?

Looking at Cuban's spending habits over the years, I just don't think we want to be tight-fisted now and not take full advantage of the final chapters of Dirk's and the entire team's prime.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #123
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Keeping in mind that lux tax don't hit the hay until 2013-14. I'd go all in the next 2 years. Tyson, Caron, maybe a point guard insurance guy, I don't know if Barea would stick around on a 2 year deal. Cuban's always been a guy spending if it makes sense. Now does Haywood make sense with a resigned Chandler, in the past, probably not, but with an amnesty in his back pocket, he may keep Haywood around at least the next year, possibly 2, before the lux tax penalties kick in. Barea's going to be an interesting FA for us, as he proved his worth during the playoffs, driving and essentially being a pest. With Kidd, can Barea be a regular season plus for us, taking on more of Kidd's minutes, knowing opposing players will get him into the post. Or do we forgo Barea, or parlay him into a sign and trade for something else. I think Chandler and Butler are 2 players we need back. Barea can be replaced with vet, then again, watching Bibby in the Finals.....sort of leads me to giving Barea a 3rd year and get into the 1.50 per buck lux tax territory.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #124
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger View Post
Wouldn't it be awfully disappointing to see Cubes and Donnie worry about paying dollar-for-dollar luxury tax and staying under the luxury tax in two of the next five seasons RIGHT NOW?
It would be disappointing if they worry about paying tax for a front line player. I'm fine if they worry about luxury tax for a backup, which is what Butler would be. He's a backup, coming off a major injury, headed into "past his prime" territory, that only plays one position.

Keep in mind that while you may not be ready to trust Brewer, the Mavs gave him a three year (2.5 if you want to be technical) deal at over 3 mil a season. They clearly believe in him. And I think it's fairly clear that they think of him mostly as a SF. Signing Butler pushes Brewer out of the rotation completely.

So no, I'm not willing to essentially "grin and bear it" by giving Butler a second year in order to keep him for this coming season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #125
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

The potential that exists for Dallas to re-sign Cardinal and Stevenson to short-term and/or low-dollar deals without using the MLE is also going to play into their decision making on Caron, since both of those guys can play SF. I wouldn't expect either to be higher than 3rd on the depth chart at that position, but if you've got faith in Corey to take a step forward (and I suspect jthig's right in thinking that the Mavs do), then as a GM you're not going to have any problem with a Marion/Brewer/(Stevenson and/or Cardinal) SF rotation.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #126
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Cuban's always been a guy spending if it makes sense.
Let's not get crazy here...
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #127
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
It would be disappointing if they worry about paying tax for a front line player. I'm fine if they worry about luxury tax for a backup, which is what Butler would be. He's a backup, coming off a major injury, headed into "past his prime" territory, that only plays one position.

Keep in mind that while you may not be ready to trust Brewer, the Mavs gave him a three year (2.5 if you want to be technical) deal at over 3 mil a season. They clearly believe in him. And I think it's fairly clear that they think of him mostly as a SF. Signing Butler pushes Brewer out of the rotation completely.

So no, I'm not willing to essentially "grin and bear it" by giving Butler a second year in order to keep him for this coming season.
We'll see what the FO thinks of it eventually. The bolded part, while technically accurate, is a rather negative description of Caron that doesn't acknowledge the contributions he made last season and could be able to make for another year or even two at a reasonable price. Even a backup player past his prime can still be a decent contributor.

The FO and we all believed in Roddy too, and it simply didn't work out. Hoping for a young player to make it to the next level and turn into an important piece of the puzzle is one way to approach what could be this team's final run. At this point, though, I still don't believe that this hope is likely to become reality and thus make Caron redundant. It could just as likely turn out to be an illusion.

Again, we'll see how this whole thing turns out. It's going to be an interesting three weeks one way or the other.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #128
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And Brewer as SF works just in certain matchups. Too bad the guy doesnt have the handles to play the 2. Playing SF (and against them), the guy is 188lbs and wasnt able to bulk up since college. He misses in average ~30lbs against SF opponents. And then there are the Lebrons and Anthonys. And without Butler and Marion (bench, injuried, foul trouble) your options are Brewer, Cardinal, or maybe an undersized Stevenson (lets not remember: his numbers as SF are terrible).

And Butler wouldnt be a "backup player". He would be part of a three headed forward rotation scratching on the 30min mark.

I like Marion/Butler-Dirk/Marion with Brewer as a wildcard if they need an SG or SF or if Butler/Marion are injuried. But hell no, i dont want to have a Marion/Brewer/Cardinal SF rotation. Marion is freaking 33 years old and i want to contend for the next three years. He need a valid backup and thats not Brewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
The potential that exists for Dallas to re-sign Cardinal and Stevenson to short-term and/or low-dollar deals without using the MLE is also going to play into their decision making on Caron, since both of those guys can play SF. I wouldn't expect either to be higher than 3rd on the depth chart at that position, but if you've got faith in Corey to take a step forward (and I suspect jthig's right in thinking that the Mavs do), then as a GM you're not going to have any problem with a Marion/Brewer/(Stevenson and/or Cardinal) SF rotation.
See my points above.

Last edited by sefant77; 11-28-2011 at 06:58 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #129
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But he frees up Marion from playing a lot of SF minutes. Marion is able to play more PF minutes -> Dirks minutes can become Duncanesk and Marion legs are fresher for the playoffs.

And i have my clear doubts about Brewer and Marion playing SF/PF alongside. And no, i also dont want Cardinal on the court as backup PF.

Butler just fixes a lot of issues where i have my clear doubts that Brewer/Cardinal/Stevenson could fix it. Ah and btw the guy is able to get his own shots and give you 20+ on any given night. Who knows if he falls off the age cliff. Maybe not in the next 2-3 years. And maybe the injury is 100% healed (everyone thought Kidd is half done after his torn ACLs). And then Butler with MLE money is a huge steal.

Last edited by sefant77; 11-28-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #130
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
See my points above.
There's only one point that's really relevant, and that's the one concerning Brewer. You're not big on him, and from that foundation it's perfectly reasonable to want the Mavs to re-sign Caron. On the other hand if you're optimistic about Brewer's potential to contribute this year (as the Mavs may very well be), any concerns about Stevenson/Cardinal's ability to play a lot of SF don't really amount to much, since you're talking about backups for a backup at that point; the priority is going to be elsewhere.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #131
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

I need to stop posting from my phone so I could provide some links, with that said, just saw on twitter a list of teams Kurt Thomas could end up on and our lovely Mavs was one of them...

Edit: here

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ticle-1.983677

Is it the NY Daily News that loves to make stuff up?

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy

Last edited by Rick41; 11-28-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #132
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But he frees up Marion from playing a lot of SF minutes. Marion is able to play more PF minutes -> Dirks minutes can become Duncanesk and Marion legs are fresher for the playoffs.

And i have my clear doubts about Brewer and Marion playing SF/PF alongside. And no, i also dont want Cardinal on the court as backup PF.

Butler just fixes a lot of issues where i have my clear doubts that Brewer/Cardinal/Stevenson could fix it. Ah and btw the guy is able to get his own shots and give you 20+ on any given night. Who knows if he falls off the age cliff. Maybe not in the next 2-3 years. And maybe the injury is 100% healed (everyone thought Kidd is half done after his torn ACLs). And then Butler with MLE money is a huge steal.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. The guy had one horrendous month and one good month last year before getting hurt. He was ok at best for us after the trade the year before. He had already slipped significantly as an offensive player before his major injury last season.

I'm not opposed to bringing him back on a decent one year contract, but that's all I'm interested in. He's not an integral part of the team and I won't bat an eye if he leaves.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 11-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #133
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Just looked at Jeff Foster's numbers again, and his productivity has held up better than I thought. I may have been overhasty in dismissing him as an acceptable low-cost, preserve-flexibility-for-2012 option in the event that Tyson departs.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #134
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

i think people forget butler was finally getting used to the system and had just had a 30 point game before he got hurt
Old 11-29-2011, 12:56 AM   #135
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
i think people forget butler was finally getting used to the system and had just had a 30 point game before he got hurt
A big part of what an optimist would call figuring out the system was him shooting the three-ball over 10 percentage points above his career average. It's extremely unlikely that he would have, or will keep that level of production up.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:35 AM   #136
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

We have Mark Cuban. No need to worry about luxury tax.

So is there a limit to how much into luxury tax you can spend?

Last edited by OneLove22; 11-29-2011 at 02:35 AM.
OneLove22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:15 AM   #137
Blackspider

Blackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of light

I'm already hearing Paul wants to play with the Knicks. This is an interesting dilemma for the Mavs. Dirk is getting older. At some point, there needs to be a younger star here that is the #1 guy. Those 3 names are Paul/Williams/Howard. How confident any of them would even sign here? If they want to go that route, they can't sign Chandler here. Then they would need to find a 1 year stop plug for this season. Without Chandler, we do not repeat or win it all this past season. But if you can sacrifice this season for a franchise player to go with Dirk for the rest of his career, do you do it?

Because if they pass on Chandler and get none of those dudes next summer, then they are empty and screwed.
Blackspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:31 AM   #138
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspider View Post
Because if they pass on Chandler and get none of those dudes next summer, then they are empty and screwed.
not completely empty, we still have the 2011 championship regardless of how bad this team gets
Old 11-29-2011, 03:49 AM   #139
Blackspider

Blackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
not completely empty, we still have the 2011 championship regardless of how bad this team gets
Well true but I mean in terms of repeating, which is a realistic goal while we still have Dirk at the end of his prime.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #140
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspider View Post
I'm already hearing Paul wants to play with the Knicks. This is an interesting dilemma for the Mavs. Dirk is getting older. At some point, there needs to be a younger star here that is the #1 guy. Those 3 names are Paul/Williams/Howard. How confident any of them would even sign here? If they want to go that route, they can't sign Chandler here. Then they would need to find a 1 year stop plug for this season. Without Chandler, we do not repeat or win it all this past season. But if you can sacrifice this season for a franchise player to go with Dirk for the rest of his career, do you do it?

2012 isnt the time for this.

Paul gonna end up with the Knicks. Thats allready more than just rumors. Anthony gave an interview weeks ago mentioning regarding Paul "If the numbers working out (in the new CBA)" - pretty much telling that they allready decided to create another superteam.

That leaves Williams and Dwight. Deron said he wanna stay with Nets. And again: They will play in an incredible arena in Brooklyn, they will have cap for a max player AND trade value with Lopez. I pretty much expect Deron to stay and Dwight signing there as FA (or ending up in LA in a Bynum trade after announcing that he wont resign in Orlando).

2014 should be our FA year. Dirk gone, Marion gone and Haywood either traded or amnestied...

Last edited by sefant77; 11-29-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #141
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I kinda hope Paul does force himself to ny. Then once the dirkster retires, I can retire my fandom.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #142
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I don't think a CP3/Melo/Amare teaming up automatically makes the Knicks the second best team in the East going forward. I have serious doubts about Paul staying healthy for the long-term, and Melo and Amare are so terrible defensively they're hardly threats to me outside of the regular season.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #143
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Honestly, I don't think a CP3/Melo/Amare teaming up automatically makes the Knicks the second best team in the East going forward. I have serious doubts about Paul staying healthy for the long-term, and Melo and Amare are so terrible defensively they're hardly threats to me outside of the regular season.
The EC has the potential to become really funny. All the wanna be franchise player quitter (Anthony, Amare, Paul, Bosh, James etc) ending up in "Superteams" in the same conference

Heat
Knicks
Bulls (at least no "super(friends) teams)

And then maybe the Nets with Deron, Dwight and maybe Iggy (in a Lopez trade)
Old 11-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #144
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The EC has the potential to become really funny. All the wanna be franchise player quitter (Anthony, Amare, Paul, Bosh, James etc) ending up in "Superteams" in the same conference

Heat
Knicks
Bulls (at least no "super(friends) teams)

And then maybe the Nets with Deron, Dwight and maybe Iggy (in a Lopez trade)

I'd actually be surprised if a Deron/Dwight/Iggy combo wasn't better than the Miami big three.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #145
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I hope Dallas lets Caron walk.

First things first -- sign Tyson Chandler.

Then look to sign one of Battier, Yi, or AK47 in that order. (all hybrid SF/PF types)

Then try to get Barrea back.(or find his replacement)

Then look to Stevenson, Peja, Cardinal etc on smaller contracts. (True role players)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #146
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Nene came out with 6 teams he is interested in, now while he may not be the best fit right now, it gives the Mavs a clear backup to Dirk, lets Marion play a ton of SF minutes, and makes a lot of sense if Caron/TC does walk. The thing is though Nene while not young (29) can help this team when Dirk does retire. The Mavs can focus on the present but they can't ignore the future.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/11/...ee-agents-2011

Quote:
Nene wants to leave the Denver Nuggets and has six suitors in serious play, reports Ken Berger of CBS Sports. Those six teams -- the Golden State Warriors, New Jersey Nets, Houston Rockets, Indiana Pacers, Dallas Mavericks and Miami Heat -- are at varying levels of ability to actually sign him outright, however, which may require the Nuggets to be involved.

Berger reports that the Warriors are interested in improving the team's frontcourt, and would use the amnesty clause on disappointing and expensive Latvian center Andris Biedrins to fit Nene on the cap sheet. The Nets could find room by waiving Travis Outlaw, and the Pacers have as much cap space as anyone in the NBA.

If you wondering how the Heat can manage to add Nene via sign-and-trade or by signing him outright without the Brazilian taking a massive paycut, you are not alone. Houston and Dallas have young prospects, at least.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #147
kenny_817

kenny_817 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Nene came out with 6 teams he is interested in, now while he may not be the best fit right now, it gives the Mavs a clear backup to Dirk, lets Marion play a ton of SF minutes, and makes a lot of sense if Caron/TC does walk. The thing is though Nene while not young (29) can help this team when Dirk does retire. The Mavs can focus on the present but they can't ignore the future.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/11/...ee-agents-2011
There is no way in hell that Nene goes anywhere to be a backup...no chance
kenny_817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #148
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny_817 View Post
There is no way in hell that Nene goes anywhere to be a backup...no chance
When did I say he would be a backup? He would be the starting center and at the time can backup Dirk if TC leaves.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #149
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not interested in speculating about Tyson walking. If cubes lets him go I will be very, very disgusted. It would tie his stupidest gm move.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #150
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Nene<Tyson Chandler

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #151
Blackspider

Quote:

Paul gonna end up with the Knicks. Thats allready more than just rumors. Anthony gave an interview weeks ago mentioning regarding Paul "If the numbers working out (in the new CBA)" - pretty much telling that they allready decided to create another superteam.

That leaves Williams and Dwight. Deron said he wanna stay with Nets. And again: They will play in an incredible arena in Brooklyn, they will have cap for a max player AND trade value with Lopez. I pretty much expect Deron to stay and Dwight signing there as FA (or ending up in LA in a Bynum trade after announcing that he wont resign in Orlando).

2014 should be our FA year. Dirk gone, Marion gone and Haywood either traded or amnestied...
Yeah you are probably right, which is why it is real dangerous to put your eggs in a basket in the future. I say, go for what you know works and start signing the key pieces from the Finals team and maybe add a few other pieces from the outside.

I'm on the fence about Caron. While we did win without him, he can be a valuable piece here if he stays healthy. But he needs to be a lot more consistent than what he is. Chandler and Barea are definitely priorities over him. I'm guessing this will be Kidd's final season.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #152
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Yea, if we're talking Nene versus Tyson, it's not even close. Cuban better pay Tyson what he wants because he was a very big part of our ship. It's similar to the type of intensity KG brought to Boston. Nene maybe talented, by Tyson brings so many intangibles to the table, it ain't funny. I'd let Caron go to keep Chandler around. Now as for other team's FA, AK47 is probably the one that intrigues me the most. The guy was at his best when there wasn't a lane clogger like Boozer, with Dirk, AK47 will have plenty of space to work with.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #153
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
A big part of what an optimist would call figuring out the system was him shooting the three-ball over 10 percentage points above his career average. It's extremely unlikely that he would have, or will keep that level of production up.
Not necessarily. I think our system (and Dirk) was the reason why Butler's efficiency went up. Our team simply worked better in 2010/2011 then the year before. It's not like Butler was making impossible shots, he had open shots, because of our system, and because of Dirk. He simply never played anyone close to Dirk caliber before, he never had open shots like those.

I want him back, but we simply need to know what Cubes wants. Are we gonna get in the game for Howard, Williams, or Paul? If he wants to, we simply cannot resign Butler and even Chandler. If we not, we might as well resign Chandler for 3 years, Butler for 2, and try to rock the NBA again.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #154
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:

Agree with every word, i believe that's the way to go. If Dirk would be 28, i would say clear some cap space immediately, but we need to milk this thing now. We can be even better then last year with a little luck.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #155
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Yea, if we're talking Nene versus Tyson, it's not even close. Cuban better pay Tyson what he wants because he was a very big part of our ship. It's similar to the type of intensity KG brought to Boston. Nene maybe talented, by Tyson brings so many intangibles to the table, it ain't funny. I'd let Caron go to keep Chandler around. Now as for other team's FA, AK47 is probably the one that intrigues me the most. The guy was at his best when there wasn't a lane clogger like Boozer, with Dirk, AK47 will have plenty of space to work with.
I don't think anyone thinks Nene is at the level of TC, but if TC is looking for the top dollar available I don't think that will be in Dallas, someone will be willing to overpay and give him near a max deal
Old 11-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #156
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove22 View Post
We have Mark Cuban. No need to worry about luxury tax.

So is there a limit to how much into luxury tax you can spend?
Nope, no limit, just the tax goes from dollar to dollar to .25 cents per 5,000 increment and a full dollar bump for offenders 4 of the last 5 seasons.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #157
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Not necessarily. I think our system (and Dirk) was the reason why Butler's efficiency went up. Our team simply worked better in 2010/2011 then the year before. It's not like Butler was making impossible shots, he had open shots, because of our system, and because of Dirk. He simply never played anyone close to Dirk caliber before, he never had open shots like those.
Then explain why Butler was awful for half of his 2010/2011 season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #158
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Then explain why Butler was awful for half of his 2010/2011 season.
Barea was awful for the first two months of the season, but then seemed to get it. Players can turn it around, and Butler did before he got injured.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #159
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Barea was awful for the first two months of the season, but then seemed to get it. Players can turn it around, and Butler did before he got injured.
Because the fact that he "turned it around" was based largely on an unsustainable accuracy from three point range, it's far more likely that he simply got hot for a while.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 11-29-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #160
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, Butler was great before he went down!
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote