Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #41
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Welp, I'm done making GDTs for the year.
Murph will be ecstatic.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #42
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Crap on both ends.

Dalembert, Marion and Carter are OK. Rest sucks.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #43
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
Crap on both ends.

Dalembert, Marion and Carter are OK. Rest sucks.

Brakes. Tap them.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #44
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
29th among centers in PER (Dalember was 16th)
23rd among centers in Rebound rate (tied with 6'6" Blair-- Dalembert was 4th.)
21st among centers in TS% (also tied with Blair)
25th among centers in estimated wins added (barely above Kaman)

Are his stats below his average because he was dogging it and unhappy with a bad team? Certainly, but those stats definitely don't portray a top-tier center worth 7mill a year, either. Those stats show either an above-average backup or a below average starter.
Thanks for the stats. I guess I still have his Orlando days still in my brain not realizing that was almost a decade ago
Old 10-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #45
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of thoughts after this game:
  1. Blair needs to be a backup/third PF only. Can't play the 5 unless both teams go really small.
  2. Ellis' shot was off tonight but so far he has largely been better than advertised. Can't guard anyone though.
  3. If Crowder doesn't pan out defensively, we are in dire need of a 3/4 that can take his place in that role.
  4. I like Calderon a lot, but we aren't going to beat many teams with him and Ellis playing big minutes together. Might need to make him our first sub out. Ellis might be our best option at backup PG right now too.

I think we're still going to push for 50 wins, but the construction of this roster obviously has some flaws that are going to be hard to overcome against the real contenders.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #46
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Pre-season game panic!! OVERREACTION TIME!

anyways.. Finally the real games can start up next.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #47
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Not that I blame Devin Harris, but during his interview, the Mavs started playing really awful. Probably because of his pink blazer...

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #48
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
Not that I blame Devin Harris, but during his interview, the Mavs started playing really awful. Probably because of his pink blazer...
+rep

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:49 AM   #49
#41 Shoot em up
Banned

#41 Shoot em up is infamous around these parts#41 Shoot em up is infamous around these parts

Might be a coincidence but since Calderon came back….. Ellis has looked like shit. The two of them don't mesh…. Ellis doesn't look the same when Calderon is out there.

The Dirk and Monta two man game has vanished since Calderon's return as well. Get it together Carlisle… maybe Calderon should come off the bench
#41 Shoot em up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #50
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
Pre-season game panic!! OVERREACTION TIME!

anyways.. Finally the real games can start up next.
You should see db.com's reaction. Hilarious how seriously some people take the preseason.

None of the big three (Calderon, Dirk, Ellis) played well because they are probably fed up with meaningless games.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #51
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
You should see db.com's reaction. Hilarious how seriously some people take the preseason.
Dallas was competitive for 2.5 quarters with one of the best teams in the league--a team whose core has been together for several years now. I'm not sure what those DB.com folks are expecting, but if it's for the Mavs to already be better than the Pacers/Heat/Spurs/ of the league, then they need to chill out and let this thing develop.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #52
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Dallas was competitive for 2.5 quarters with one of the best teams in the league--a team whose core has been together for several years now. I'm not sure what those DB.com folks are expecting, but if it's for the Mavs to already be better than the Pacers/Heat/Spurs/ of the league, then they need to chill out and let this thing develop.
This was my general impression watching the game last night. I didn't see any reason to panic, but then again I'm not expecting this team to win the title this year either.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #53
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

This game aside, there are plenty of positives to be taken from this preseason. Ellis/Dirk seems to work for the most part. Dalembert looks halfway decent minus the fouls. His defense is otherworldly compared to Kaman's. Ellington looks like a nice role player. Marion/Carter always seem to bring positives. Mekel has progressed. Wright looked sharp offensively before the injury. Blair isn't worthless.

The defense hasn't been horrid, but I think we all know that defense and rebounding are both the big question marks. I'm somewhat excited to see a fun, offensive team. Let's get it started.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #54
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

A huge key is going to be finding the right backcourt mix. Calderon and Ellis are going to pose some defensive and rebounding issues, but right now the biggest issue is offensive chemistry. I think they'll get there, but they aren't there yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #55
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I'm also on board with this. The energy/focus looked poor in the second half, and to my eyes that was the biggest factor in the final margin being what it was. But the first half was a solid competitive outing against a team that's on the short list of contenders this year.

On the downside, things do seem a bit unsettled on offense with Jose, and that's clearly going to have to change given how little he's typically going to contribute on the other end of the court. I almost can't imagine that's not just growing pains from him having sat out a large part of camp, though. Hopefully that proves to be the case and the chemistry between him and Dirk/Monta starts to come around.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #56
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

It's way too early to be genuinely concerned about anything related to the offense, but I do find it interesting that Monta had the majority of his success when he was running a lot of point, and started to look pretty lost when Calderon moved into the rotation.

It could just be a familiarity thing, but it's not out of the question that Monta's game might work a lot better if he's the primary ball handler and given more freedom within the offense. And while that might be good for Monta, I'm not sure it would be good for the Mavs as a whole.

Obviously Monta is going to do a lot of creating and Calderon is going to do a lot of spotting up, but you won't get the benefits of Calderon's intelligence and ball security if he's not still handling the ball a ton and setting up the offense most of the time.

My take away from the pre-season is that Dalembert still has the skills to be an impactful presence on the court. Obviously his MO has always been to give less than full effort at times throughout a season, but if anyone can engage him it's this front office, coaching staff and locker room culture led by Dirk.

I'm excited for the season to start to see how this all plays out.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #57
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstudi View Post
Shocking how dependent we are on Dalembert. Blair can't defend anybody. Horribly undersized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstudi View Post
Our defense collapsed once Dalembert left the court. And both Ellis and Calderon can't defend the perimeter.
But we were told a few posts above that Gortat wasn't worth 7mil a year...
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote