Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #41
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
No, the problems are not deeper than Avery. Avery has his fingerprints all over this team. Carlisle is busy trying to change the diaper.
That's a fair possibility, though I'm still not convinced it's not Josh and Jet. It's also true, though, that Avery was part of the solution for a finals run, as were Josh and Jet. All three of those people were doing great as major components of a team that worked very well, and all three were doing terribly as major components of a team that worked progressively more crappily. Avery's gone, and with Josh and Jet still on board, the team has so far not improved. I'm one to chalk it up to learning, and am looking forward to this team performing much better as the season goes on - but that's not objective.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #42
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov View Post
I am talking about that highly regarded Pacers team he inherited from Isiah Thomas, when Carlisle buddy Larry Bird got hired for GM. All the pieces were there to win a title when he got there. Same thing happened to Avery.
We're talking about the same team, only they were not "highly regarded". They were mediocre, and Carlisle transformed them.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #43
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
We're talking about the same team, only they were not "highly regarded". They were mediocre, and Carlisle transformed them.
I would say they were underachieving in the regular season, but Carilise did not transform them. Those players he got were already veterans who did not get better when he got there. He was put in a great position to succeed early in his career. Isiah had a very good team and they made noise in the regular season and playoffs. The players were all groomed from Bird to Isiah, and then Carlisle got them.

Once again it reminds me of Avery. Nellie groomed this current team and Avery benefited greatly from it. Once the Nellie benefit was gone, then we got the real Avery. Same MAYBE could be said about Carlisle. I have heard many sources call Carlisle the white Avery.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #44
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I agree. As I started to really look at the mental make-up of the team, I saw this problem. Then when you factor in Carlisle he is pretty much in the same mental state. This is why players like Horry, Cassel, Posey are such great additions to teams. They know how to win and bring that mental edge that you need in the playoffs. We really need those role type players who are used to winning in the playoffs.

I think we are stuck in mental fatigue and it does not take much for the team to get in a funk. I will say that Kidd is the best thing for the mental state of this team. Is it enough? I dont think so, but I am hoping he can will this team to get over the mental part of the game. Could Carlisle help? I just dont know, but hope so.

Once again the mental part of the game was the downfall of this team. Team full of mental midgets and lack of confidence is what we see in the 4th quarter. Carlisle has to be that rock for the Mavs until we get it. Carlisle has a problem in the last 4 minutes of the 3rd quarter and the early part of the 4th quarter. He needs to learn to close out quarters, and part of that falls on him by him having the right players out there to execute his plays. IMO
Old 11-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #45
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Diop and Bass closing the 3rd and into the 4th has proven to be such a bad combo. Bass doesn't even look like himself, or like last year.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #46
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Bass doesn't even look like himself, or like last year.
We should have traded him in the offseason when his value was sky-high (especially since he doesn't really have a position on this team...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-12-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:18 AM   #47
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

He looks more lost now than Green ever has. It's as if he doesn't trust his handles to even blow past his man to the bucket to get to the foul line like he did last year.

My fear is were gonna be trying to move guys later this year if it doesn't work out and were not gonna get what we should for them because were not clicking and no one looks in top form.

Carlisle on the "1310 the ticket" right now
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #48
basketballgirl25
Banned

basketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
No, the problems are not deeper than Avery. Avery has his fingerprints all over this team. Carlisle is busy trying to change the diaper.
hey, at least the Mavericks aren't like the Knicks, so carlisle should be happy, hahaha.
basketballgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #49
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
I have a question to ask.

Is there a team out there with more players that have been a part of Championship or Playoff series collapse failures than the Mavs?

1. Recent Championship Extreme Failures: (I mean collapses for the most part)
Dirk, Howard, Jet, Stack, and Damp -2006 (Up 2-0 and lost to the Heat)
George -2004 (lost to the Pistons while having Kobe, Shaq, Malone and Payton)
Kidd - (Went to Finals back2back and could not win a title)

2. Recent Playoff Collapse Failure:
Dirk, Howard, Jet, Stack, Damp, Diop, George -2007 (67 win team loses in 1st round)

3. Current 2008-2009 Mavs Top Players:
Dirk, Howard, Jet, Stack, Diop, Damp, George, Kidd

4. Current Mavs Coach Rick Carlise:
Season Regular Season Record Post Season Record
2001-02 50-32 4-6
2002-03 50-32 8-9
2003-04 61-21 10-6
2004-05 44-38 6-7
2005-06 41-41 2-4
2006-07 35-47 Did not make playoffs
2007-08 ? Did not make playoffs

5. We now couple players with recent playoff collapses with a coach with recent playoff collapes and expect different results?

6. According to these numbers all these players and coaches have gotten worse and worse after recent playoff collapses and failures and expect different results?

7. To just finish off the expectations we become the 2nd oldest team in the NBA?

8. Does anyone else see a problem here? Just saying......
It seems clear again that this team is suffering from the mental state, both from the players and coaches..Who can we turn to?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:37 PM   #50
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It seems clear again that this team is suffering from the mental state, both from the players and coaches..Who can we turn to?
You wanna tell me what the hell a December road game has to do with this idea of yours about playoff failures?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:43 PM   #51
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
You wanna tell me what the hell a December road game has to do with this idea of yours about playoff failures?
You tell me? I dont think we all are knee jerking about our Mavs. It just so happens we got the shit beat out of us tonight, and we looked very bad and it is becoming clear we just dont have the pieces to win against good teams. It also seems clear that a collection of mental fatigue players is not the recipe to win in the NBA.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:49 AM   #52
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
no it's not, its a direct inference.

. . . but they got there with Avery, not with Nellie

Hence the inference above. You are saying that any coach would have gotten us there. . . but Dirk got there with Avery, not with Nellie
I know I'm a bit late here, but this just pisses me off.

I'm saying the Mavs got there IN SPITE of Avery. Not because of him. So in that sense, yes, any coach could have gotten them there. I guess it makes sense. I mean, if they could get there with a moron like Avery, then sure, I don't think it's far-fetched to believe that any number of other coaches could've done the same. Hell, maybe they would've even f**king won! But how about instead of making round-about inferences, we'll just suffice it to say that Avery was a horrible coach.

F*ck Avery Johnson. I will never forgive him for Golden State.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 12-20-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:53 AM   #53
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Give me a friggin break. "Mental state" has nothing to do with this. You could have the mentally toughest team in the world, but if the pieces aren't there, you're not going to win. And with the Mavs, the pieces aren't there.

It has nothing to do with "leadership" or "hunger" or any of these other mythical qualities. The X's and O's just aren't there. The Mavs are a poorly built team. Lousy backcourt, lousy frontcourt, lousy bench. The ONLY thing the Mavs have is a nice pair of forwards. That's not enough to win in the NBA.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:07 AM   #54
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I know I'm a bit late here, but this just pisses me off.

I'm saying the Mavs got there IN SPITE of Avery. Not because of him. So in that sense, yes, any coach could have gotten them there. I guess it makes sense. I mean, if they could get there with a moron like Avery, then sure, I don't think it's far-fetched to believe that any number of other coaches could've done the same. Hell, maybe they would've even f**king won! But how about instead of making round-about inferences, we'll just suffice it to say that Avery was a horrible coach.

F*ck Avery Johnson. I will never forgive him for Golden State.
. . . but they got there with Avery, not with Nellie. You're probably getting all pi**ed because you really, really want to blame Avery for everything bad that happened while he was here, but don't want to give him credit for any good that happened while he was here, and that's just not something you can do without getting all pi**ed.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:40 AM   #55
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Give me a friggin break. "Mental state" has nothing to do with this. You could have the mentally toughest team in the world, but if the pieces aren't there, you're not going to win. And with the Mavs, the pieces aren't there.

It has nothing to do with "leadership" or "hunger" or any of these other mythical qualities. The X's and O's just aren't there. The Mavs are a poorly built team. Lousy backcourt, lousy frontcourt, lousy bench. The ONLY thing the Mavs have is a nice pair of forwards. That's not enough to win in the NBA.

Agreed.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #56
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:

It has all to do with mental state. Professional sports is 80%mental and 20%physical. So dont give me that mess about mental state has nothing to do with it. On paper, we have enough talent to compete as a contender from the 1 to 6 slot, which means only a piece or two is needed to compete. I think the larger issue is the mental state of this team. I think it is mental fatigue going on in addition to the 20% physical play. Dont know what is going on behind the scenes, but I would guess there is a bunch of pointing fingers and whatnots...
Old 12-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #57
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
It has all to do with mental state. Professional sports is 80%mental and 20%physical. So dont give me that mess about mental state has nothing to do with it. On paper, we have enough talent to compete as a contender from the 1 to 6 slot, which means only a piece or two is needed to compete. I think the larger issue is the mental state of this team. I think it is mental fatigue going on in addition to the 20% physical play. Dont know what is going on behind the scenes, but I would guess there is a bunch of pointing fingers and whatnots...
As I've said for a while now (well, post Kidd trade)...this team needs to be blown up. That includes trading Dirk. I'd love to see him retire a Mav, but it isn't fair to him to keep him on a team that has no chance to win it all. We need to trade our guys for youth, draft picks, and expiring contracts. Unfortunately we don't have a pick next year so we can't do a 2010 plan where we get a top pick and a top FA. The sooner we blow this team up, the better so we can get more picks and possibly pick up someone good in 2010. There are enough good players going around in 2010 that teams wont have enough money to sign them all. Someone will be underpaid if as people people switch teams as expected.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #58
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubOverdose View Post
As I've said for a while now (well, post Kidd trade)...this team needs to be blown up. That includes trading Dirk. I'd love to see him retire a Mav, but it isn't fair to him to keep him on a team that has no chance to win it all. We need to trade our guys for youth, draft picks, and expiring contracts. Unfortunately we don't have a pick next year so we can't do a 2010 plan where we get a top pick and a top FA. The sooner we blow this team up, the better so we can get more picks and possibly pick up someone good in 2010. There are enough good players going around in 2010 that teams wont have enough money to sign them all. Someone will be underpaid if as people people switch teams as expected.
I agree, but I think if we get Raja Bell and Wallace we instantly become contenders and we can have Dirk stay and have a serious chance at winning a title and retiring as a Mavs player. Jet is still here as well, and he is playing lights out, so we need to keep Jet as well. If we do this, we would be set, and the only thing left would be to find a way to get rid of Diop and George (I like George, but we need to get younger)
Old 12-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #59
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
I agree, but I think if we get Raja Bell and Wallace we instantly become contenders and we can have Dirk stay and have a serious chance at winning a title and retiring as a Mavs player. Jet is still here as well, and he is playing lights out, so we need to keep Jet as well. If we do this, we would be set, and the only thing left would be to find a way to get rid of Diop and George (I like George, but we need to get younger)
I don't think Kidd is the right PG for this team. We need someone that is an offensive threat. Kidd's set 3 is great, but we need someone that can attack some. With players like Diop, Williams, and George getting minutes, we lack firepower. We only get offense from 3 guys- Dirk, Josh, and Terry. Think back to pre-Kidd. We also had Devin and Stack providing scoring whenever we needed it.

The Spurs get away with 3 guys on offense, but they are dominant defensively. All 3 of their guys on offense also go to the basket, which our top 3 rarely do. They also have issues with draughts on offense that they struggle with even with their defense.

Our mediocre defense and 3 weapons on offense aren't enough. As I said a while ago, we need Green. We need him to develop into a starter for this team to be competitive. There is a slim chance we could get a 4th option with Stack's expiring, but that's a slim chance.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote