Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #641
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Weren't you the one who said Holley was going to be the first person cut?
Yes, I believe I did issue a throw away line about the product of that show being the first cut. In my defense I didn't watch one minute of the show and had absolutely no idea what positions were even being considered.

It was really nothing more than a jab at the people watching the show.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #642
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

People watched that show?
Old 09-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #643
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Yes, I believe I did issue a throw away line about the product of that show being the first cut. In my defense I didn't watch one minute of the show and had absolutely no idea what positions were even being considered.

It was really nothing more than a jab at the people watching the show.
So you're saying the joke was on you?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #644
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So you're saying the joke was on you?
Joke? Good lord chum, my initial post was a joke. Just giving you a hard time.

But yeah, you said Stanback was going to be Kordell Stewart and the joke's on me. Ok.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 09-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #645
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

"In your defense" you didn't watch a minute of the show, yet you enjoyed taking a jab at people who did. I guess it doesn't take you long to look at a horseshoe.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #646
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
"In your defense" you didn't watch a minute of the show, yet you enjoyed taking a jab at people who did. I guess it doesn't take you long to look at a horseshoe.
I also make fun of people that watch Dancing with the Stars, never having seen a minute of it. And hundreds of other shows.

You really are being a grump. It was a joke. You could have responded with "Book it" and we could have both enjoyed laughing at our terrible predictions.

But I guess you're too cool for that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #647
chumdawg
Guru

Who's the grump? You're the guy who can't be bothered enough to watch Fourth and Long even for half an episode in an attempt to understand why other folks enjoy it, yet feels confident in making fun of those folks.

You know, there are people who can't be bothered to watch Rangers baseball, yet who feel just fine making fun of the people who do. Never won a playoff series and all that, you know.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #648
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

You could cut the sexual tension in this thread with a knife...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 09-06-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #649
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Who's the grump? You're the guy who can't be bothered enough to watch Fourth and Long even for half an episode in an attempt to understand why other folks enjoy it, yet feels confident in making fun of those folks.

You know, there are people who can't be bothered to watch Rangers baseball, yet who feel just fine making fun of the people who do. Never won a playoff series and all that, you know.
*Insert giant eye roll here*

It was a playful jab. There are plenty of shows that I've never seen that I would give people a hard time for watching. Maybe you're too serious for that sort of thing.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #650
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Holley, Carpenter Signed To Practice Squad

link

Now that they’ve filled their 53-man roster, the Cowboys have added eight players to the practice squad, including wide receiver Jesse Holley, the reality TV winner of “4th and Long” who scored the game-winning touchdown in Minnesota Friday night.

Holley joins wide receiver Manuel Johnson, a seventh-round pick from Oklahoma as the two receivers on the squad.

Quarterback Rudy Carpenter, who played nearly three quarters Friday night in his only preseason action, is on the squad and should run the scout-team offense with Stephen McGee (sprained MCL) banged up for the next few weeks.

While the Cowboys couldn’t retain fifth-round pick DeAngelo Smith, who was claimed off waivers by the Browns, they did sign Mike Mickens to the practice squad.

Here’s the entire eight-man practice squad heading into the first week of the season:

QB Rudy Carpenter
TE Scott Chandler
FB Julius Crosslin
WR Jesse Holley
WR Manuel Johnson
OG Travis Bright
DE Marcus Dixon
CB Mike Mickens

Old 09-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #651
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
*Insert giant eye roll here*

It was a playful jab. There are plenty of shows that I've never seen that I would give people a hard time for watching. Maybe you're too serious for that sort of thing.
Maybe you take yourself too seriously. Maybe not everyone watches TV for the same reasons you do.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #652
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Maybe you take yourself too seriously. Maybe not everyone watches TV for the same reasons you do.
What does that even mean? Are you really this offended because someone might dare to make fun of a tv show you enjoy?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 09-06-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #653
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
[B][SIZE="3"]

QB Rudy Carpenter
TE Scott Chandler
FB Julius Crosslin
WR Jesse Holley
WR Manuel Johnson
OG Travis Bright
DE Marcus Dixon
CB Mike Mickens
I happy that those three made it.

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #654
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
What does that even mean? Are you really this offended because someone might dare to make fun of a tv show you enjoy?
What does it mean? It means that the view from your high horse is not that universal.

If you would demean those who watch "hundreds of shows," I think you said, then you are probably a very selfish individual.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #655
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
...Are you really this offended because someone might dare to make fun of a tv show you enjoy?
Quote:
What does it mean? It means that the view from your high horse is not that universal.

If you would demean those who watch "hundreds of shows," I think you said, then you are probably a very selfish individual.
So the answer to my question is an emphatic yes.

If giving someone a hard time equates to being on a high horse in your mind then I'm very glad I'll never have reason to be around you.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #656
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I always wondered, do high horses cost more to feed?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #657
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
So the answer to my question is an emphatic yes.

If giving someone a hard time equates to being on a high horse in your mind then I'm very glad I'll never have reason to be around you.
You're a tech nerd, right? Meaning, you don't have good reason to be around much of anybody. In that case, what does it matter?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #658
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
You're a tech nerd, right? Meaning, you don't have good reason to be around much of anybody. In that case, what does it matter?
Man, you REALLY don't like people making fun of your tv choices.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #659
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Man, you REALLY don't like people making fun of your tv choices.
It's not that. It's not that at all. You said Holley was going in the first cut. As I said, the joke is on you. You could have been more informed. But it was a lot easier for you to instead sit back and make fun. Ha!
Old 09-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #660
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
I always wondered, do high horses cost more to feed?
Nah - they mostly eat junk food...

Old 09-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #661
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
It's not that. It's not that at all. You said Holley was going in the first cut. As I said, the joke is on you. You could have been more informed. But it was a lot easier for you to instead sit back and make fun. Ha!
I agree, the joke is on me. But not for that random comment.

Always nice talking with ya.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #662
chumdawg
Guru

Why, then, do you feel the joke is on you?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #663
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

you guys are gonna make me forget about this draft!
Old 09-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #664
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

What in the hell...
Old 09-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #665
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
What in the hell...
+1

BEAT LA
Old 09-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #666
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

shhh.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #667
ReoneeTrino

ReoneeTrino is on a distinguished road
Default Dallas Cowboys OffSeason Thread

the giants WRs r fine on the game... it really looks, to me, that the ratings still dont matter... u can make anybody good on this game.

brandon jacobs is a maniac... with this new "break tackles to gain every yard" thing or however it goes... jacobs is almost unstoppable. it literally took like 3 of my cowboys defenders to take him down EVERY play.

the d-line is insane too... as soon as i snap the ball, it felt i was getting hit whenever i called ANY play while giving the hand off on a run or dropping back after recieveing the snap on passes. i think this is due to the game being slown down... its gonna take some time to get used to...
ReoneeTrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #668
badfish22
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReoneeTrino View Post
the giants WRs r fine on the game... it really looks, to me, that the ratings still dont matter... u can make anybody good on this game.

brandon jacobs is a maniac... with this new "break tackles to gain every yard" thing or however it goes... jacobs is almost unstoppable. it literally took like 3 of my cowboys defenders to take him down EVERY play.

the d-line is insane too... as soon as i snap the ball, it felt i was getting hit whenever i called ANY play while giving the hand off on a run or dropping back after recieveing the snap on passes. i think this is due to the game being slown down... its gonna take some time to get used to...
that came out of left field

BEAT LA
Old 09-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #669
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReoneeTrino View Post

Your first post on a Dallas Mavericks site is about the NY Giants???

A mod needs to delete this poster before the inevitable WoW Gold spam starts pouring forth!

Last edited by Underdog; 09-06-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #670
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I don't even think he intended for the post to be on this thread. What "game" is he even talking about? Madden? WTF was talking about Madden? Do Giants fans have any brain cells? Of course not.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:26 PM   #671
badfish22
Golden Member

I like how he just jumps right into Madden like we were talking about it the whole time.

At least it broke the tension in this thread...

BEAT LA
Old 09-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #672
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

That's weird.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:56 AM   #673
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

There was a discussion at the top of this page that made my Cowboy pants go uber (I learned that from Dirk) flacid. More cowboy talk please.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:16 AM   #674
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by grbh View Post
There was a discussion at the top of this page that made my Cowboy pants go uber (I learned that from Dirk) flacid. More cowboy talk please.
Jenkins, Scandrick On Board With Rotation

link

MINNEAPOLIS - The Cowboys' regular season begins Sept. 13, and as far as the right cornerback spot goes, no one has changed their stance - the Cowboys still plan to continue their preseason practice of alternating Orlando Scandrick and Mike Jenkins as the starter, and both corners continue to insist they're not competing against each other at all.

"Was it a battle, or were you guys trying to make it a battle?" Scandrick asked the assembled media after Friday's 35-31 preseason finale win over the Minnesota Vikings.

The Cowboys decided to alternate Scandrick and Jenkins game by game as the right corner spot during the regular season, and while both second-year players were hesitant to field questions about the decision, they both said they understood.

"They told us it was close and we've both played well," Scandrick said. "We both could've been the starter. It was the most logical thing."

Alternating starts was the plan from the beginning of the preseason, with Scandrick starting against the Raiders while Jenkins was injured, Jenkins getting the nod against the Titans, and Scandrick starting once again last week against the 49ers.

Neither corner played in Friday's game, so it's not as if one distanced himself from the other.

Both Jenkins and Scandrick want nothing more than to start opposite Terence Newman, but both said that the competition between them has residual benefits for the team. By pushing each other to get better, the Cowboys probably have two better second and third corners than they would have if one was declared the starter at the beginning of training camp. That's the nature of competition, Jenkins said.

"No matter where I'm at, the competition keeps going because there's always somebody behind us trying to take your position," said Jenkins.

No matter who starts, the other will hardly take much of a backseat. With the prominence of three-wide receiver sets in the NFL these days, defenses are forced to use a lot of nickel packages, which require three competent corners. Who plays where in the Cowboys' nickel is already set - Newman on the left, Jenkins on the right, and Scandrick in the slot.

But it's who comes off the field when the Cowboys are in base defense that is the issue, although it's a good issue to have. The Cowboys have the comfort of knowing they have two good corners to choose from, and those two corners have the comfort of knowing no matter what, they'll play a lot.

"Starting or not, I'm still going to get a lot of plays," Jenkins said. "I'm going to study my receivers, and I'm going to go in and study with the same mentality."

Old 09-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #675
chumdawg
Guru

Is it that hard to spell "nickle"?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:39 AM   #676
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Is it that hard to spell "nickle"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football_strategy

Nickel

Last edited by Flacolaco; 09-07-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:46 AM   #677
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I bet those 3 OCs that were fired this past week or so wish they had that link bookmarked...

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 09-07-2009 at 01:46 AM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:58 AM   #678
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I only managed to catch a few episodes, but I enjoyed fourth and long... Irvin was annoying, but it's television--that over dramatic stuff is the norm.

Yes, I brought back the show because I like bickering amongst posters.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #679
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Cowboys' 2009 draft class vanishing in front of our eyes

Old 09-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #680
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post
Yeah, the worst part about all these injuries was that it happened to the better players in the draft. Jason Williams is raw, but he was starting to show that he was getting it, and if he ever does get it, he could be a terrific player for this team. Brewster was a third round pick that never even made it to training camp, but he was a third round pick. Brandon Williams looked decent for a backup. Hamlin looked pretty good in camp, and a lot of people thought he would be a starter in a few years. It's disappointing that we won't see any immediate impact from this rookie class, but I'm not ready to grade it as anything other than an incomplete because the injured players were probably the best players of our draft class. So it's just bad luck that they were the ones injured.

But at least we picked up that legend that is David Buehler.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
!peppers != 19-0, holy neck, not even participants, peppers = 19-0, villareal, we win super balls now?, what is a charger?