Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 03-20-2009, 08:27 AM   #121
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog View Post
again, you didn't answer the questions: how is a children's book an example of "chicago politics", and why do you express outrage that a) the publisher is paying the writer and b) the writer is authoring a book?

edit:the bush's childrens book "net proceeds" went to two charities, but both laura and her daughter have been paid for other multi-million $ book deals, one for laura's memoirs.

seems you are just against anything obama all the time regardless.

if he rescued a kid who was about to be hit by a car you would express outrage that he screwed with the driver's right to drive their car....
Just for you.. Chicago Politics was just a toss-out line...of course there are no politics involved in this affair....Just tackiness.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #122
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

I just saw a clip of some sanctimonious congressman saying that the tax on the bonus was justifiable because the money should be returned to its rightful owners....

....the taxpayers!

That's wonderful news. I wonder when we'll receive our refund checks.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #123
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice...I'm so happy that Obama is going to take 90% of those multi-millionaires' bonuses who screwed AIG and the taxpayers.

You know..those multi-millionaires who make 125K. Rich bastards..

Quote:
TARP Bonus- For purposes of this section--

(1) IN GENERAL- The term ‘TARP bonus’ means, with respect to any individual for any taxable year, the lesser of--

(A) the aggregate disqualified bonus payments received from covered TARP recipients during such taxable year, or

(B) the excess of--

(i) the adjusted gross income of the taxpayer for such taxable year, over

(ii) $250,000 ($125,000 in the case of a married individual filing a separate return).
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 03-21-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #124
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

odd, but when I look at the sponsors of the hr 1586 it doesn't have obama's name anywhere on it....and I've never read that obama asked for this new tax, unless you have a quote that says different.

oh yeah, I forgot, according to the right everything that congress does is tied to the president. every item in every bill, right? obama "owns it" if congress passes it and he signs the bill, correct?
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #125
dude1394
Guru

Gosh what an adoring fan. Is he going to sign it, is he demagoguing(sp) these bonuses everywhere he speaks.

Is there nothing that he's responsible for? Will he not be responsible for any bill that he signs?

Now we are going to divorce obama from his own party so that he can be absolved blame.

Last edited by dude1394; 03-22-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #126
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Gosh what an adoring fan. Is he going to sign it, is he demagoguing(sp) these bonuses everywhere he speaks.

Is there nothing that he's responsible for? Will he not be responsible for any bill that he signs?

Now we are going to divorce obama from his own party so that he can be absolved blame.
it is interestng to see that you fail to respond to the simple quesion- is the president responsible for every item congress puts into the bills that the president signs.

your sidestepping the question is due to the answer- no, the president doesn't "own" (as you put it) items that he didn't promote or ask for.

so no, obama doesn't get the "blame" for these punitive taxes on the bonuses paid to tarp recipients.

as for if it is demogaugery, don't see that he crossed the line. if he did promote the tax in his speeches I'd agree it was, yet all he spoke to was the audacity of aig paying bomuses to employees with the monies that were given to keep them solvent.

I've got no problem with bonuses, but to pay bonuses to executives who made such poor decisions that the compnay almost was destroyed seems to not provide accountibility.

and I do not want 90% taxes retroactively applied to that compensation.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #127
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
it is interestng to see that you fail to respond to the simple quesion- is the president responsible for every item congress puts into the bills that the president signs.

He's as responsible for the things that happen under his administration as the last President was responsible for Acting on intelligence of WMD's.

Ultimately as President these men have to either enjoy the benefits of others making sound decisions, or suffer the consequences of blame.

Seems to me, that the current President is having a fairly eventful blame tenure so far...perhaps he should rethink the type of people he surrounds himself with...of course the perception of him being an empty suit is starting to look a bit more genuine as an assessment.

Exactly who is pulling his strings?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #128
dude1394
Guru

Now THIS he will be very good at. No doubt.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123792991709930321.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- The White House said it would launch a search for new tax revenues, as Congressional leaders moved to scale back proposed spending increases and tax cuts in President Barack Obama's ambitious budget.

The budget blueprint estimates a federal deficit of $1.75 trillion for 2009.

The Obama administration plans to create a task force to consider elimination of corporate loopholes and subsidies, tougher enforcement against tax avoidance, and tax simplification, White House Budget Director Peter Orszag said late Tuesday.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #129
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

While everyone else in the world is in the process of cutting back budgets...the Obama government continues to increase spending.

Why doesn't the Obama Government believe it has a duty to cut back on spending rather than finding new ways to increase taxing by basically stealing money from the American people?

Why are some people more outraged at Big Business bonus than they are at the Obama Big Government Bonuses being handed out to these companies?

When are people going to be outraged at all the handouts to companies...keep in mind those handouts are being paid by you and I, the People!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #130
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
He's as responsible for the things that happen under his administration
ok, then you must support the statement that bush is totally responsible for the economic mess the usa finds itself in today.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #131
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:
ok, then you must support the statement that bush is totally responsible for the economic mess the usa finds itself in today.
Okay, sure...along with every other politician (Representatives & Senators) that served during those years.

For that matter, we see a tie back to the Clinton years, heck back to Bush Sr, Reagan and Carter...so I believe that ALL of them are responsible.

Since they are all gone and out of office, nothing they did can change their legacy...but there are some in office today, who are completely missing the boat.

These are the ones we should be focused on. Obama is responsible for the current mess. His administration, his congress. They need to stop the spending/bail out frenzy...make the tough choices to cut the budget...or we need to start electing people who do what they say, rather than say whate they believe we want to hear.

By the way, The last administration also helped to bring freedom to the Nation of Iraq, as well as provide security to Americans throughout the globe.

He inherited a mess in terms of National Defense and he as well as the nation paid dearly for it on 9/11...he acted swiftly to fix those mistakes...the mistakes that were made under the Clinton administration while Clinton was too busy staining intern dresses. It was under Clinton that the Intel capability of the USA was seriously damaged and thus lead to the 9/11 attack. Bush worked hard to rebuild this capability, even if Dems continued to road block his efforts.

But why do I bother conversing with you...I believe there is a Biblical verse that says something about not casting pearls before swine. So go on, continue being swine...when you are willing to face the reality of how poorly the Democrats govern, then perhaps your eyes will be opened the truth and reality.

Take care my friend...it's time for me to keep working on being a good American and bailing out our country through my own hard work...hopefully one that Obama wont steal from my income...
Old 03-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #132
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Okay, sure...along with every other politician (Representatives & Senators) that served during those years.
ok, and then you say

Quote:
Obama is responsible for the current mess.
that is called "talking out of both sides of your mouth", and it's not a complimentary phrase btw.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #133
92bDad
Platinum Member

You might be right...so let me rephrase...Obama and this Current Administration and Congress.

By the way, Obama was a Senator in the last administration...hmmmm And he was involved with the biggest culprate of this crisis...ACORN...see a pattern yet???

Best of luck to you and your views...obviously there is no point that will change your perception of reality. It's truly misfortunate, I believe you could be a great assett for the American people, but instead you choose to support those who aim to destroy this nation.

This is not about winning a debate or an argument...but rather it's about how this country will come out of the tragic turn of events caused by the Democratic party.

Complain about the Patriot Act all you want...this administration is doing it's worst to break America into a dependant nation...if all citizens are dependant on the government then they are no longer free.

No money is not freedom, but take away the peoples ability to earn their own keep and make them rely on the government for necessities, and you have yourself a nation of subjects rather than Free Citizens.

The scary part is that Obama isn't the one pulling the strings...their are others controlling Obama. He's just a puppet and none us know who the Puppet Master truly is...
Old 03-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #134
Mavdog
Diamond Member

you know, bs like this is as repulsive as it gets.

for you to take the position of being the only side to the discussion who is patriotic, who is the only one who truly loves this country, is not only insulting it reveals your ignorance.

stupid is as stupid does....
Old 03-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #135
92bDad
Platinum Member

What can I say...reality and truth hurts...and at times can be repulsive.

It's funny, I post based on my own opinion based on my experiences and what I learn through what I read, listen and experience first hand. As such an opinion is simply that...it's my thoughts and beliefs.

So, I have no objection to anyone who disagrees with me, after all it is everyones own beliefs and opinions and for that matter everyone has a different experience in life than I.

However, when I see others do their best to remove their own views and simply state facts, only to find Mavdog and others who support the Obama crusades taking place, I cringe as I see an UNwillingness to be open to the possibility that what they support could be improved through another means.

I see nothing that shows anyone on the left is any more an example of tolerance and open mindedness than anyone on the right.

Thus we are truly divided in this nation.

The worst part of this exercise over the past few years, is that under the previous administration, I saw a President who consistantly compromised in order to allow some things from the left to go through, in hopes that his cooperation would allow some things from his own agenda work its way through. Only he gets critized and blamed as if it was only his fault...without any praise for the good that took place under his watch.

Meanwhile, we see the Democrats continue the blame game and doing everything they can to avoid taking responsibility for what are some obvious bad choices along the way.

I personally don't have an answer, but I can share that from my view, I see Democrat continueing to take and take and take...They are the greediest most selfish group that I have ever observed!!!

What I believe we will see is more moderates getting angry at the ultimate Dysfunction of the Democratic party...the swing to the left may be a benefit to Conservatives around America. Fortunately this last election was by a slim margin and I believe the Democrats are doing a fair job of reminding everyone why they voted Republican after Clinton in the first place.

Now Republicans need to be prepared to do the right things when they get back in office...they need to stand up against Democrats and stay away from compromising on Conservative values.

It may take us some 10-20 years to rebound from the economic crisis.

Sad, if terrorist had caused this much damage, we'ld declare war on them...but for some reason, we listened to the media and were basically manipulated into electing the very people who have nearly bankrupted this nation.

There's a part of me that wonders if conceivably we could cause the Government to crash and start over...what if 100% of Americans simply stopped paying taxes...what are they going to do arrest us all? They couldn't afford it.

Is the U.S. Government the new Enron?
Old 03-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #136
Mavdog
Diamond Member

as ron reagan liked to say, "there you go again..."
Old 03-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #137
92bDad
Platinum Member

Was it Bush that said...."Get er done!!!"

:-)
Old 03-26-2009, 10:17 PM   #138
dude1394
Guru

Doing what he does best.

http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2009/...arity-tax.html

Quote:
One basic lesson of tax incidence (see Chapters 6 and 12 of my favorite textbook) is that the burden of a tax does not always stay where our political leaders try to put it. My Harvard colleague Martin Feldstein gives an example:
Quote:
President Obama's proposal to limit the tax deductibility of charitable contributions would effectively transfer more than $7 billion a year from the nation's charitable institutions to the federal government. But the high-income taxpayers affected by the rule change are likely to cut their charitable giving by as much as the increase in their tax bills, which would, ironically, leave their remaining income and personal consumption unchanged.

In effect, the change would be a tax on the charities, reducing their receipts by a dollar for every dollar of extra revenue the government collects. It is hard to imagine a rationale for taxing schools, hospitals, medical research budgets and arts organizations in this way. I suspect that the administration officials who drafted this proposal did not understand that it would have this perverse effect.

Last edited by dude1394; 03-26-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #139
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

So...he found a way to tax rich people and poor people at the same time...genius.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #140
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
So...he found a way to tax rich people and poor people at the same time...genius.
It takes a tremendous intellect and skill doesn't it. He can demagogue the rich...while at the same time taxing the poor. Kewll....
Old 03-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #141
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
is it your opinion that people only give money to charities because they can get a tax deduction?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #142
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
is it your opinion that people only give money to charities because they can get a tax deduction?
Of course not...but it helps. Is it your opinion that people ONLY buy a house because of the tax deduction...no but it helps.

Do you think people only add energy efficient windows to their home because of the tax deduction...no but it helps.

Since theOne IS adding a tax deduction to promote energy efficient homes. You do agree that he IS adding this tax deduction, correct?

The converse must be that he is REMOVING a tax deduction from charitable contributions to suppress charitable contributions.

But I expect you knew all this when you asked the question.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #143
Mavdog
Diamond Member

fyi the tax deduction for a charitable contribution will still be there under the obama proposal. it's just that there is a ceiling on the deduction. people who are in the highest tax brackets will have it treated at the lower tax bracket rather than the higher tax rate.

seems to me that people who want to give to charity will continue to do so, and they will continue to get a tax deduction. so what's the big deal?

those who scream the obama plan will stop people from making charitable donations are merely seeking things to bitch about imo.

as for the house, I'm going to buy a house because I need a place to live, and buying makes more sense than renting. for that matter my home is paid off, am I going to go buy a new one, or take out a mortgage just to get a tax deduction? absolutely not.

the tax credit (the energy incentive is a credit, not a deduction) for energy efficient home repair was there already, so this is not something new in the obama plan. it certainly helped me make my decision last year when I replaced a broken water heater with a tankless water heater and got what? $500 back. it didn't make up the difference between popping another tank in vs the tankless, but it did reduce the delta.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #144
dude1394
Guru

The availability of the tax deduction will factor into even YOUR assessment of whether to buy x house or y house...Or whether you can afford to buy one now or you have to wait.

Pretending that tax policy has no effect on behavior is not rational.

So the tax credit (deduction whatever..) had an impact on your decision...ergo...so will obama's new tax (tax-deduction removal) on charitable giving.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #145
Mavdog
Diamond Member

without a doubt, we use the tax code to influence decisions. does the deduction on contributions determine of a person gives to charity or not? remember, if you don't itemize you don't get the deduction. people who don't itemize still give to charity.

again, the proposed plan says there will still be a tax deduction for charitable contributions available to every taxpayer who itemizes.

all will have the tax deduction, it's just all deductions will be treated like the filer was in the 28% tax bracket.

the deduction is not going away, so why the bitching?

Last edited by Mavdog; 03-27-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #146
dude1394
Guru

As the article states...theOne is too silly to understand what will happen, as most liberals he just thinks he can continue to milk the gravy train...in his world it's never-ending.

He think he can just raise taxes and nothing will change....eeeee...wrong answer.

People will react and his attempt to get his greedy little paws on more tax dollars so that he can spend it buying votes (imo) will only wind up causing less charitable funds to go to charities.

That's the bitching.....but with this guy I'd better start watching my shorts...he'll tax those next. He's REALLY good at it.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #147
Mavdog
Diamond Member

<sigh> if the deduction for charitable contributions is going to be available for all taxpayers who itemize (just like it is today), why don't you explain what change in behavior is going to occur?

you keep screaming that "less charitable funds go to charities", but if the deduction will still be available, why will this happen?

answer: if the taxpayer still gets the tax deduction, the behavior won't change.

much ado about nothing.....
Old 03-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #148
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's funny, I post based on my own opinion based on my experiences and what I learn through what I read, listen and experience first hand. As such an opinion is simply that...it's my thoughts and beliefs.

So, I have no objection to anyone who disagrees with me, after all it is everyones own beliefs and opinions and for that matter everyone has a different experience in life than I.
Quote:
Best of luck to you and your views...obviously there is no point that will change your perception of reality. It's truly misfortunate, I believe you could be a great assett for the American people, but instead you choose to support those who aim to destroy this nation.
My only dog in this fight is the Logic dog, and these two statements are completely logically inconsistent.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #149
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I see the president is telling Europe that Al Qaeda is a big threat to them. (Which is true)

I'm going to keep an eye out for cries of "fear mongering" from the media.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #150
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

.... because...... ?
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:25 PM   #151
12 Tone Melodies

12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123879833094588163.html
APRIL 4, 2009
Obama Wants to Control the Banks
There's a reason he refuses to accept repayment of TARP money.

By STUART VARNEY
I must be naive. I really thought the administration would welcome the return of bank bailout money. Some $340 million in TARP cash flowed back this week from four small banks in Louisiana, New York, Indiana and California. This isn't much when we routinely talk in trillions, but clearly that money has not been wasted or otherwise sunk down Wall Street's black hole. So why no cheering as the cash comes back?

My answer: The government wants to control the banks, just as it now controls GM and Chrysler, and will surely control the health industry in the not-too-distant future. Keeping them TARP-stuffed is the key to control. And for this intensely political president, mere influence is not enough. The White House wants to tell 'em what to do. Control. Direct. Command.

It is not for nothing that rage has been turned on those wicked financiers. The banks are at the core of the administration's thrust: By managing the money, government can steer the whole economy even more firmly down the left fork in the road.

If the banks are forced to keep TARP cash -- which was often forced on them in the first place -- the Obama team can work its will on the financial system to unprecedented degree. That's what's happening right now.

Here's a true story first reported by my Fox News colleague Andrew Napolitano (with the names and some details obscured to prevent retaliation). Under the Bush team a prominent and profitable bank, under threat of a damaging public audit, was forced to accept less than $1 billion of TARP money. The government insisted on buying a new class of preferred stock which gave it a tiny, minority position. The money flowed to the bank. Arguably, back then, the Bush administration was acting for purely economic reasons. It wanted to recapitalize the banks to halt a financial panic.

Fast forward to today, and that same bank is begging to give the money back. The chairman offers to write a check, now, with interest. He's been sitting on the cash for months and has felt the dead hand of government threatening to run his business and dictate pay scales. He sees the writing on the wall and he wants out. But the Obama team says no, since unlike the smaller banks that gave their TARP money back, this bank is far more prominent. The bank has also been threatened with "adverse" consequences if its chairman persists. That's politics talking, not economics.

Think about it: If Rick Wagoner can be fired and compact cars can be mandated, why can't a bank with a vault full of TARP money be told where to lend? And since politics drives this administration, why can't special loans and terms be offered to favored constituents, favored industries, or even favored regions? Our prosperity has never been based on the political allocation of credit -- until now.

Which brings me to the Pay for Performance Act, just passed by the House. This is an outstanding example of class warfare. I'm an Englishman. We invented class warfare, and I know it when I see it. This legislation allows the administration to dictate pay for anyone working in any company that takes a dime of TARP money. This is a whip with which to thrash the unpopular bankers, a tool to advance the Obama administration's goal of controlling the financial system.

After 35 years in America, I never thought I would see this. I still can't quite believe we will sit by as this crisis is used to hand control of our economy over to government. But here we are, on the brink. Clearly, I have been naive.

Mr. Varney is a host on the Fox Business Channel.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
- John Adams
12 Tone Melodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:02 AM   #152
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I present you Banco do Brasil

No, Brazil is not a communist state and has done quite okay through this enduring crisis.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #153
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

worth a watch
Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #154
dude1394
Guru

It's for the children.

Maybe theOne and the democrats sorta have NEA and Children confused??

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2009/...rter-the-cost/
Quote:
D.C. Vouchers: Better Results at a QUARTER the Cost

Posted by Andrew J. Coulson

The latest federal study of the D.C. voucher program finds that voucher students have pulled significantly ahead of their public school peers in reading and perform at least as well as public school students in math. It also reports that the average tuition at the voucher schools is $6,620. That is ONE QUARTER what the District of Columbia spends per pupil on education ($26,555), according to the District’s own fiscal year 2009 budget.

Better results at a quarter the cost. And Democrats in Congress have sunset its funding and are trying to kill it. Shame on them.

If President Obama believes his own rhetoric on the need for greater efficiency in government education spending and for improved educational opportunities, he should work with the members of his own party to continue and grow this program.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #155
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody who doesn't recognize what's going on is incredibly naive.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #156
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
Just a healthy dose of fascism to keep the trains running on time and a massive inflationary drive that's almost certain to destroy the currency teamed with a constant and consistent build-up of the police state.

nothing to see here...move along.

Last edited by alexamenos; 04-06-2009 at 10:15 AM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #157
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Just a healthy dose of fascism to keep the trains running on time and a massive inflationary drive that's almost certain to destroy the currency teamed with a constant and consistent build-up of the police state.
nice to see this all summed up so succinctly...

glad to see some people do get it...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #158
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
Okay, I confess to being incredibly naive. Tell me what I should recognize?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #159
12 Tone Melodies

12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/11/wo...gram.html?_r=2
Obama to Appeal Detainee Ruling
By THE NEW YORK TIMES
Published: April 10, 2009
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration said Friday that it would appeal a district court ruling that granted some military prisoners in Afghanistan the right to file lawsuits seeking their release. The decision signaled that the administration was not backing down in its effort to maintain the power to imprison terrorism suspects for extended periods without judicial oversight.

In a court filing, the Justice Department also asked District Judge John D. Bates not to proceed with the habeas-corpus cases of three detainees at Bagram Air Base outside Kabul, Afghanistan. Judge Bates ruled last week that the three — each of whom says he was seized outside of Afghanistan — could challenge their detention in court.

Tina Foster, the executive director of the International Justice Network, which is representing the detainees, condemned the decision in a statement.

“Though he has made many promises regarding the need for our country to rejoin the world community of nations, by filing this appeal, President Obama has taken on the defense of one of the Bush administration’s unlawful policies founded on nothing more than the idea that might makes right,” she said.

A version of this article appeared in print on April 11, 2009, on page A6 of the New York edition.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
- John Adams
12 Tone Melodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #160
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Finally he does something within the realm of the best interest of the people he supposedly serves (i.e. common sense). Bravo.

Tags
america=fail, bggst douches ever, bggst expnsn of gov ever, idiots talking again, vagina dentata, won't ever be happy