Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-08-2008, 02:24 AM   #1
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all
Default Shawne Williams

I'm starting to think Shawne Williams was a steal and to think all we gave up to get him was Eddie Jones, 2 second round draft picks and cash. Shawne is a very good rebounder and good defensive player plus he's only 22 years old, the Mavs got younger and got a good player in the process but the only thing he needs to work on is his offense then the trade will be a steal.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

At worst he's better than Eddie Jones. That makes it a win.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:44 AM   #3
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Even if he hadn't played one minute this year, we got the better end of that deal.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Even if he hadn't played one minute this year, we got the better end of that deal.

qft lol
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah once he gets his shot going then he'll be pretty good. Lots of size for the 3. I love how Carlisle emphazises rebounding with him and with the team as a whole.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
vashjan

vashjan will become famous soon enoughvashjan will become famous soon enough

The best way to develop a player is to ask for effort. Effort starts from Defense..i.e - rebounds etc..
Old 12-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Most of these HS All Americans get there with their offense. This guy's athletic enough to finish off a lot of messes on the OBoard or getting passes for bunnies. It's moving without the ball, learning systems, that's the hard part of NBA ball.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

Shawne has really imprese me with his rebounding and defense, what a paradox I thought this guy was offensively polished enough but a liability in defense and so far has been the complete opposite.

GO SHAWNE
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Most of these HS All Americans get there with their offense. This guy's athletic enough to finish off a lot of messes on the OBoard or getting passes for bunnies. It's moving without the ball, learning systems, that's the hard part of NBA ball.
Yeah, hustle and athleticism can get you to look good in certain aspects of the game like you mentioned. He's gotta take the next steps with recognition, decision making and consistency to really improve. He doesn't have to do it all right now...but keep making strides.

It definitely is a nice foundation he has. He's long, and active, and shows the ability to shoot but doesn't look unorthodox for a guy in his frame. He just needs to keep building off of it.

Alby is dead on though...It didn't take THAT much to really be seen as a winner off of the EJ deal.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

I met him before the clippers game. He was working his ass off with popeye. He was extremely nice and very happy to talk basketball and sign me an autograph. I am definantly rooting for the guy.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Shooting, passing, length, athleticism, the ability to block shots like a poor man's Kirilenko while playing the three spot... What's not to like about our young, smooth, 6-9, 23 year old? The Shawne aquisition was one helluva steal, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the young fella become a part of our core rotation for years to come. With experience, confidence, and most importantly, health, I'd say that the big blue sky is the darned limit for Big Shawne Williams...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 12-08-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #12
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Nothing like Evilmav building bandwagons!!!
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #13
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

hi evil =]

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:40 PM   #14
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, not so much.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:44 AM   #16
Emjo21

Emjo21 is on a distinguished road

Nice find. HA HA. Williams was a joke.
Emjo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #17
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say, when I saw this thread was bumped, a thought entered my mind:

"Surely 5-0 said in that thread somewhere that SW would be a bust and surely he bumped it pointing out his accuracy."

I am surprised.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #18
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...proving-Knicks

Former Pacer Shawne Williams finds new life with improving Knicks

Quote:
New York Knicks president Donnie Walsh, a believer in second chances, was blunt and to the point with Shawne Williams.

Walsh told Williams, the former Indiana Pacer drafted in the first round in 2006, prior to training camp that if he wanted to try to resurrect what was once a promising basketball career, he had to do two things.

"I made it very clear that he had to cut ties with his associates and that he would be gone if I got the slightest word that he had messed up in any kind of way," Walsh said in a phone interview. "We weren't going to lose anything because his contract is non-guaranteed."

Williams' basketball skills have never been questioned.

Pacers president Larry Bird liked Williams so much coming out of Memphis, he didn't tell his scouting department he was the player he wanted until shortly before their pick -- No. 17 -- came up on draft night.

It was Williams' problems away from Conseco Fieldhouse that hurt him with the Pacers. It was why the Dallas Mavericks sent him home and why his weight ballooned to almost 280 pounds by the time he reported to the New Jersey Nets, who ended up releasing him, after he was traded to the team.

Williams says those days are in the rearview mirror.

He owes it all to Walsh, the former longtime Pacers CEO, for giving him an opportunity not many other people would have offered.

Williams, whose $885,000 contract will become guaranteed on Jan. 10, has gone from being on the inactive list with the Knicks to getting steady minutes.

The forward is averaging 5.8 points and 1.7 rebounds in 13.7 minutes a game. He made 10 of his first 12 3-point attempts.

"I'm super grateful," Williams said after a recent Knicks practice. "I feel like if (Walsh) didn't give me a chance, nobody would have given me a chance. I still have a long way to go, though. I expect more out of myself."

Williams spent more time making headlines off the court than on it during his two seasons with the Pacers.

He had three legal run-ins in less than a year. Williams' problems ranged from a passenger in his car being arrested for having marijuana to a man wanted on murder charges being arrested while leaving Williams' house in a truck registered to him.

"We made a lot of mistakes in how we handled things with Shawne in Indiana," Walsh said. "When he got in trouble, he was with somebody that had something when the police stopped him. Shawne got the headline. It basically reflected poorly on him and poorly on the franchise."

The Pacers, who were fed up with Williams' constant problems, traded him to Dallas in October 2008.

"I definitely let a lot of people down," Williams said. "I let myself down. I was so young. I wasn't taking it as a profession or a job. If I knew what I know now, then I'd probably still be in Indiana."

The trouble didn't stop in Indiana for Williams.

He pled guilty to four misdemeanor drug charges, including the possession and conspiracy to possess a controlled substance -- hydrocodone, a codeine-based syrup -- last year in Memphis.

Williams said it was easier than he thought to sever ties with the same people who watched over him so that he could concentrate on basketball while growing up in the rough part of Memphis.

"I had to cut ties with everybody, focus on myself," said Williams, whose weight is down to 230 pounds. "I had to be selfish. I needed to get myself back together and work on things. There's no place I'd rather be than in the NBA. It feels great to be back."
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #19
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Nice to see he's turned things around.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #20
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

He's been hitting the three at an absurd clip with NY (over 50%). I liked his game. Shame he's an idiot. We'll see if he stays out of trouble.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #21
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

just got in a fight with Marvin...
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thread diarrhea