Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wishlist going forward

Alright, let's be honest.. This franchise has a great chance of circling the drain regardless of whether or not they go into "tanking" mode. Once down the drain, there's a very good chance that they stay down there for a very, very long time. So, I'm all for enjoying the last couple of years of Dirk as possible. Dirk, yeah, he's old, but hey.. let him go out in style. He should go out shooting the ball 17 times a game. Move as far up the scoring list as absolutely possible. For Dirk, if he wants to stay a Mav, it's time for him to be selfish and going after points. I still think he can be a 20+ point scorer in the NBA. Obviously, he's not quite as efficient as he used to be, but I see no reason why he can't be an efficient scorer still. Jack up shots.. play fewer minutes and pass the ball less. You've earned it. As a Mavs fan, it's probably the only thing that we have going for us..watching you play out the final years of your career. Because life after Dirk is going to suck for Mavs fans..so Dirk, go out in style.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

And, to point out the obvious... If he gets tired..oh well, he gets tired. His shooting percentage goes down a bit. Who cares? Give him an extra day off.. the team isn't going to be very good anyways. If he gets hurt..well, it's not like they'll be competing for a title.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

If we're trying to compete....

S&T Ellis for Hibbert OR Sign Kanter OR Sign Darrell Arthur
Sign KJ McDaniels or Will Barton (because our pick won't be top 7 and we need young talent).
Sign Norris Cole to run point

Try to form a defensive identity with strong perimeter D from Cole, Matthews, and Parsons.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

If Dirk wants to compete, we compete.
If Dirk wants to tank, we tank.
If Dirk wants to be traded, we trade him.
If Dirk wants to retire, we bid him farewell.

I wonder what Dirk wants at this point?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-09-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

Pretty much. Like I said in the other thread, if I'm Cuban, I offer to buy out Dirk's contract if that's what he wants.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
Wang Zhi Zhi

Wang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Pretty much. Like I said in the other thread, if I'm Cuban, I offer to buy out Dirk's contract if that's what he wants.
I hope we keep Dirk here (with his agreement) long enough for him to pass Shaq on the scoring list (~ 30 games), then trade him to a contender (of his wish) before the trade deadline, even if we get nothing in return. Contending teams in need of some scoring punch, and who can sacrifice some defense to get it, like Chicago, Memphis, and even OKC, would be good fits.

Any team that Dirk wants to go to should be acceptable to us, with the only exceptions being LAC and MIA. And his contract is extremely tradeable now, so it should work.

But of course, if Dirk wants to stay through this, then all the better.
Wang Zhi Zhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

If Dirks wants to stay which I'm assuming he will, then I vote for the above:

C- Enes Kanter / Amare
PF - Jordan Hill
PG - Norris Cole

That covers the positions with bodies while nothing is great. Give solid playing time to Kanter and Anderson to develop. Tell CP and Wes to take their time coming back and ensure they are 100%. Dirk gets his #6 scoring position while taking ample games off to not burn himself out while playing all of the home games for the fans.

Hopefully we suck enough to get a 1-7 pick.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Would we need to max Kanter in order to pry him from the Thunder?

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
If we're trying to compete....

S&T Ellis for Hibbert OR Sign Kanter OR Sign Darrell Arthur
Sign KJ McDaniels or Will Barton (because our pick won't be top 7 and we need young talent).
Sign Norris Cole to run point

Try to form a defensive identity with strong perimeter D from Cole, Matthews, and Parsons.
Agreement.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #10
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

I hope dirk gets "hurt" playing for Germany, and Wes and parsons rehab for an extended time... Mavs solidify btm 7 spot, all 3 come back and play last 3 or so weeks to give us hope for 2016
Old 07-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #11
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
We probably would have to in order to try and get him. I read somewhere that they were offering $15.5 and according to the cbafaq.com, the max for him would be $16,407,500. So I'm not sure that we could actually get him, but it would at least force OKC to spend more for him. They are already tight on cash for the next two years in order to keep KD and then Westbrook.

Is he worth that much? Probably not right now. But if he improves (to match his current attitude) and when the cap sky rockets, then yeah, he probably will be that much.

But honestly, we have to reach a $63 million payroll anyway and I would rather give it to him than a complete scrub. That is as long as we cannot rework Dirk's contract to max him out.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Pretty much. Kanter isnt getting away from OKC. Plus Mavs already said they wont be going after him, or Hibbert.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #13
MavzMan
Golden Member

I just saw this reading of the cba faq:
"Teams with a team salary below the minimum are surcharged for their shortfall, with the money distributed among the players on that team."

So technically, we do NOT have to be at the minimum. It just means that the players will get extra money at the end of the season. That would be one way to get a little extra cash to Dirk/Parson/Wes for suffering through a crappy season.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Ben Simmons to replace Dirk
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #15
MavzMan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Ben Simmons to replace Dirk
That would make us forget all about Deandre Jordan.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #16
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
If I'm cuban I go to dirk and say big fella you know we appreciate everything you've done for us and we would love to have you only have played for the mavs for your entire career. That being said you absolutely deserve to win for the remainder of your career. If you want out just tell me where you wanna go and well make it happen. You wanna go to gs and bomb threes with Steph and klay? Well make it happen. You wanna go to Cleveland and play with lebron?(this might make me cry btw) well make it happen. You wanna go to Okc and play with Russ/kd/serge to have the greatest offensive lineup in history? Well make it happen. Just let me know where you wanna go and it will happen.

And as the mavs team where he wanted to go would be more important than the return we got. As much as it kills me to say it, it doesn't make basketball sense for anyone to give up something that would make enough sense basketball wise for us to give up the dirk was always a mav legacy. So if the asset we get back isn't going to be a game changer, we might as well make him happy. And if it makes it impossible for the clips to win a ring? All the better.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #17
MavzMan
Golden Member

I would really like for him to get #6 as a Mav though. But yeah, whatever he wants to do ... done.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:17 PM   #18
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
If I'm cuban I go to dirk and say big fella you know we appreciate everything you've done for us and we would love to have you only have played for the mavs for your entire career. That being said you absolutely deserve to win for the remainder of your career. If you want out just tell me where you wanna go and well make it happen. You wanna go to gs and bomb threes with Steph and klay? Well make it happen. You wanna go to Cleveland and play with lebron?(this might make me cry btw) well make it happen. You wanna go to Okc and play with Russ/kd/serge to have the greatest offensive lineup in history? Well make it happen. Just let me know where you wanna go and it will happen.
You wanna go to LA and play with Jordan, Griffin, and Paul? We'll...

I'm sorry, what were we talking about? My brain just performed a hard reboot and dumped the last couple minutes from my memories.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #19
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Idk I could see him playing in Germany this summer then saying hes had enough. Matthews might not like that but whatever
Old 07-09-2015, 02:24 PM   #20
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
I would really like for him to get #6 as a Mav though. But yeah, whatever he wants to do ... done.
I really want him to finish his career as a mav. I don't care if we suck, him playing his whole career as a mav is special to me. I saw emmitt as a cardinal, modano as a wing(I will never forgive the stars for that) and dream as a raptor. Those things happened and to be honest I'd rather dirk finish his career here than be better 1 season earlier.

That being said, that's what I want. The issue is what dirk wants matters. If he wants to go win somewhere else rather than finish here in the dumpster fire this thing has become I don't blame him. This isn't a vince carter in Toronto situation where a guy took max money to be a "franchise guy" then demanded a trade when they weren't good enough to be a franchise guy. Dirk has absolutely busted his ass for this franchise for nearly 20 years. He's gotten a ton of money but he's also taken way less than he should. He's the only player in the entire history of the nba to lead a 50 win team in scoring for 10 straight years. He's one of the most unique players in nba history and most of all he's just a straight up awesome guy. He carried some terrible rosters to 50 wins in his prime and he carried a team that had no business winning it all to the promised land. And if at the end of all that he'd rather try to win somewhere else you let him do it wherever he wants. And if the warriors want to play hardball and not give up much in the way of assets for him? You still let him go there if that's what he wants because that's what loyalty is. And if someone has been as loyal to you as dirk has been you repay that with loyalty.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #21
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
You wanna go to LA and play with Jordan, Griffin, and Paul? We'll...

I'm sorry, what were we talking about? My brain just performed a hard reboot and dumped the last couple minutes from my memories.
There's a reason I left that off the list.

Something tells me this won't sit well with him though although basketball wise that move actually makes the most sense.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #22
jay3189
Banned

jay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nice

Dallas should sign Luke Ridnour, and I wonder if Dallas can still do a sign and trade with Monta to Indiana to get Roy Hibbert? After that, Dallas needs to sign a backup center, possibly Jordan Hill.
jay3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #23
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

Exactly where I'm at.
Cuban needs to sit down with Dirk, give him all the facts, and ask him which way he wants to go forward.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:53 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

Dirk really doesn't have an option other than to go for 30k..once he gets there, then he can have more of a role in the decision making..
Old 07-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #25
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Sign Nash out of retirement. Screw it. Let Dirk have fun with his buddy if we're going to stink anyway. They can play every third game.