Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #11
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbwinn View Post
Mavdog, I never said the treasury dept was not under the executive branch. I just said the president doesn't do anything with the treasury dept.

Congress created the Treasury Dept., the Fed Reserve, and the IRS. Congress sets their budgets (yes, I know the president submits a budget. I also know the pres doesn't sit around in quiet room and figure that budget out himself. The Pres is nothing more than a figure head as to control). The Congress is the one that argues and determines their budgets and sets the rules for the use of the budget. The Congress reviews the depts. later when they re-assess the next budget to see how that dept did with the money and if the Congressional rules in appropriations were met.

The Pres doesn't do a darn thing with these groups. He may as well be the Queen of England as to the degree that he actually gets involved.

Power is in the Congress.
your vision of the role of the president in affecting how economic policies of the treasury dept are carried out is very, very narrow, even wrong in many cases you've stated above.

the sec of the treasury acts as an agent of the president; they carry out the policies of the president; they sit in the president's cabinet; they chair the president's economic policy council.

the sec of the treasury does not report to congress but to the president, does not look to congress for direction, and does not look to congress for the formulation of their policies but looks to the president for these policies.

as for the "president doesn't do a darn thing" with the treasury, well, you are wrong.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote