Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@DwainPrice: With Tyson, Parsons, Rondo, Dirk (hometown discount), J.J., Aminu, Jefferson, Donnie Nelson may win the Executive of the Year award this yr.
We'll see if the personalities/games work and if Carlisle can make it work, but on paper that's a group of near-allstars
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
ffballer

ffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to behold

december 23rd we play against the suns... rajon gotta play that game, its gonna be payback time baby!
oh and by the way, we play the celtics january the 2nd..it's gonna be a weird ass game lol
Old 12-18-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Update: 10:10 p.m. central, I'm still stoked as sh*t. Watching Rondo highlights is making me really anxious to see him play. SMH can't believe some people think we're worse off or gave up too much. Here's some recent stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNpBYxUS-Gw

vs. Thunder on Nov. 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OJ6TlPhl3U

vs. Raptors on Nov. 5

obviously highlights only show the good, but his craftiness and vision is on another level.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwrdMZnvK1w
Some of the most supernatural passes I've ever seen. Some don't even look real.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
#4 is pretty damn wow. Don't remember seeing that one before.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 12-18-2014 at 11:28 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:15 AM   #6
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That last one
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
Cerberus

Cerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to behold

When's the earliest he can play? Has to be Atlanta right? I want him to play against the Spurs so bad haha
Old 12-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #8
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Worst guard shooting ever. Spacing the floor is huge for guards. Bye bye Mr. Automatic from the field. Bench just got much weaker.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
Worst guard shooting ever. Spacing the floor is huge for guards. Bye bye Mr. Automatic from the field. Bench just got much weaker.
Really?

We lost Nelson who was one of our worst +/- guys and replaced him with an allstar, and 2-time NBA defensive first team

Crowder who I loved, but never played

Wright, who I loved, but couldn't play well against bigs in the West. Wright will be the only guy the team will miss as a player. Crowder will be missed because of his personality more than what he would have contributed.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #10
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Really?

We lost Nelson who was one of our worst +/- guys and replaced him with an allstar, and 2-time NBA defensive first team

Crowder who I loved, but never played

Wright, who I loved, but couldn't play well against bigs in the West. Wright will be the only guy the team will miss as a player. Crowder will be missed because of his personality more than what he would have contributed.
Regardless of what Nelson lacked, he still was a 3 point threat. With Rondo, you are playing 4 on 5. Thus Dirk will see more double teams. The spacing on the floor changes. Offense was never our problem. And based on recent years, Rondo's defensive stats have not been good. Wright was the best backup center in the league. Pin pointing a couple bad games to determine he can't play against the best is ridiculous. And having no backup center spells doom. Chandler isn't young anymore. He needs his 16-20 minutes of rest.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:01 AM   #11
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
Regardless of what Nelson lacked, he still was a 3 point threat. With Rondo, you are playing 4 on 5. Thus Dirk will see more double teams. The spacing on the floor changes. Offense was never our problem. And based on recent years, Rondo's defensive stats have not been good. Wright was the best backup center in the league. Pin pointing a couple bad games to determine he can't play against the best is ridiculous. And having no backup center spells doom. Chandler isn't young anymore. He needs his 16-20 minutes of rest.
Nelson was the worst pg in the nba. By a lot.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:04 AM   #12
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Nelson was the worst pg in the nba. By a lot.
I liked how he ran our offense. Give him credit for that at least.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:33 AM   #13
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Really?

Well, let's hope that we did indeed, replace him with that guy.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #14
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Well, let's hope that we did indeed, replace him with that guy.
Even if Rondo has regressed on defense, he can't be worse than Nelson. Whilst I have nothing personally against Nelson, he didn't fit into our system that well and was a bad defender.

Regrding Rondo there are three possible reasons that his defense is worse than 4-5 years ago. 1) He wasn't motivated anymore to play on a team in permanent tank mode 2) Shitty coaching, not playing to his strengths 3) his ACL really hampered his mobility. Let's hope it's either one of the first two reasons.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #15
ActionJackson

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

So exciting. I'm supposed to go to bed, it's almost 6 am here, but I just can't. Just reading all the comments and articles. I think it's a great deal. I liked both Wright and Jae, but this had to be done.

I already wonder about next season. Hopefully the same squad. I hope they can work it out in the summer.

Last edited by ActionJackson; 12-18-2014 at 11:55 PM.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:55 PM   #16
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2014/12/...icks-analysis/
Old 12-19-2014, 12:14 AM   #17
Cerberus

Cerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to behold

Last edited by Cerberus; 12-19-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's be honest, Rondo needs to be better than he has been the past couple of years for this to work. His defense is down and he can't shoot.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:29 AM   #19
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Let's be honest, Rondo needs to be better than he has been the past couple of years for this to work. His defense is down and he can't shoot.

Ok. Let's be honest here, without this trade the Mavs would be the #6 or #7 team in the West and get bounced in the first round. There's no guarantee that the Rondo thing is going to work this year (or at all), but Dirk didn't take a pay cut to be part of a #6 or #7 team.

Rondo hasn't had jack to play for and the Celtics franchise put nothing around him. This reminds me of Ellis playing for the Bucks. Let's see what Rondo does in this system, with this cast, this owner and this coach.

If we were sitting at #1 or #2 in the west and we were 5-0 against the top 8 teams, then maybe I'd be nervous about this move. Truth is that we are #6 and 0-5 against the best in the west. That makes me nervous. We did something about it. If it doesn't work out then oh well. It's a risk worth taking. Cuban owes it to Dirk.

If it works out, the only ones that will be nervous are the people that have to play against us.

Last edited by howdoesmydirktaste; 12-19-2014 at 12:33 AM.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdoesmydirktaste View Post
Ok. Let's be honest here, without this trade the Mavs would be the #6 or #7 team in the West and get bounced in the first round. There's no guarantee that the Rondo thing is going to work this year (or at all), but Dirk didn't take a pay cut to be part of a #6 or #7 team.

Rondo hasn't had jack to play for and the Celtics franchise put nothing around him. This reminds me of Ellis playing for the Bucks. Let's see what Rondo does in this system, with this cast, this owner and this coach.

If we were sitting at #1 or #2 in the west and we were 5-0 against the top 8 teams, then maybe I'd be nervous about this move. Truth is that we are #6 and 0-5 against the best in the west. That makes me nervous. We did something about it. If it doesn't work out then oh well. It's a risk worth taking. Cuban owes it to Dirk.

If it works out, the only ones that will be nervous are the people that have to play against us.
I'm not saying that he won't be better ... Just saying that he has to be better for this to work out.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:28 AM   #21
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
@tim_cato: After Dirk, the longest tenured Maverick is now Ricky Ledo. He was drafted on June 27, 2013.
Whoa.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:34 AM   #22
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Whoa.
Like i said, just look at the 12-13 roster...its absolutly amazing. And we even absolutly blew our draft picks the past two years too
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:27 AM   #23
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Alright I'm on board. Should be some interesting games coming up.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:08 AM   #24
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Couple months ago I said that Donnine Nelson is a pice of sh!it. Now I would like to sorry for my harsh words. Rondo deal shows that this guy knows how to do the business. I am very happy that Rajan Rondo is now part of ours team. Of course the Dallas Mavericks is not a contender team yet but we are close. With Rondo this team will be better . The one and only guy i will miss is Brandon Wright . It is sad that he left us.

Rondo,Ellis,Parsons,Dirk,Chandler it is impress starting five. WOW

Go Mavs!

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR

Last edited by 41mvp; 12-19-2014 at 03:08 AM.
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:29 AM   #25
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

There is really not much to dislike here.

I hate seeing Wright/Crowder go, but even though our bench got much weaker, the upgrade Rondo provides on both ends of the floor far outweighs that. I was kinda wondering why we brought in that many PGs before the season, maybe they anticipated/planned this move.

Last edited by j0Shi; 12-19-2014 at 03:30 AM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:43 AM   #26
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
There is really not much to dislike here.

I hate seeing Wright/Crowder go, but even though our bench got much weaker, the upgrade Rondo provides on both ends of the floor far outweighs that. I was kinda wondering why we brought in that many PGs before the season, maybe they anticipated/planned this move.
I don't know if they were specifically anticipating this move, but they had to be anticipating making a move for a starting PG, and Rondo was almost at or near the top their list of potential targets.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:40 AM   #27
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

The more I think about this deal, the more I'm amazed how some people see this as some huge risk for the Mavs. For a major upgrade at our weakest position, this is about the lowest risk move I can think of. Even if Rondo completely flops, it's not like we're stuck with him. We just let him walk in the offseason and with the money we save we can chase whoever else we want. Worst cast scenario, we're right back where we were before the trade anyway, at least as far as PG is concerned. And we weren't legit title contenders anyway, so what do we really have to lose here?

Losing Wright is a bummer, but let's not act like he's the difference between being a championship contender and not being one. And we're in "win now" mode, draft picks really don't do us any good. The only major downside I see here is that if Rondo doesn't pan out, we don't have much to work with in the way of trade assets, but such is the case with pretty much any major trade. Throw in the added possibility that we may re-acquire Wright in the offseason, and it becomes clear that the Mavs are taking pretty minimal risks here.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #28
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
The more I think about this deal, the more I'm amazed how some people see this as some huge risk for the Mavs. For a major upgrade at our weakest position, this is about the lowest risk move I can think of. Even if Rondo completely flops, it's not like we're stuck with him. We just let him walk in the offseason and with the money we save we can chase whoever else we want. Worst cast scenario, we're right back where we were before the trade anyway, at least as far as PG is concerned. And we weren't legit title contenders anyway, so what do we really have to lose here?

Losing Wright is a bummer, but let's not act like he's the difference between being a championship contender and not being one. And we're in "win now" mode, draft picks really don't do us any good. The only major downside I see here is that if Rondo doesn't pan out, we don't have much to work with in the way of trade assets, but such is the case with pretty much any major trade. Throw in the added possibility that we may re-acquire Wright in the offseason, and it becomes clear that the Mavs are taking pretty minimal risks here.
I don't agree. If he walks in the offseason, we don't have any money saved to do anything else with it. With the way Tyson is playing, he's going to demand a major contract, and we won't have any cap room. It's very likely that we will operate over the cap for the forseeable future.

So they just gave up they're only non-core player that can be viewed as a trade asset. And they gave up a pick that is going to end up being a 2016 pick. Meaning they won't have a near-future pick to give up in a trade this offseason or next trade deadline.

Make no mistake, if this flops, the Mavs are stuck for the foreseeable future. That's the risk.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #29
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I don't agree. If he walks in the offseason, we don't have any money saved to do anything else with it. With the way Tyson is playing, he's going to demand a major contract, and we won't have any cap room. It's very likely that we will operate over the cap for the forseeable future.

So they just gave up they're only non-core player that can be viewed as a trade asset. And they gave up a pick that is going to end up being a 2016 pick. Meaning they won't have a near-future pick to give up in a trade this offseason or next trade deadline.

Make no mistake, if this flops, the Mavs are stuck for the foreseeable future. That's the risk.
The pressure's really going to be on the front office in the offseason. The Mavs have all but committed themselves to a core of Rondo, Monta, Parsons, Dirk, and TC + Devin for the rest of Dirk's career, and as many as 3 out of the top 5 in that list will be free agents next summer. I don't expect a repeat of the post-championship summer (no lockout, more room to spend up, the core isn't aging out, and the PR storm would be overwhelming), but I will be nervous.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #30
ActionJackson

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
The pressure's really going to be on the front office in the offseason. The Mavs have all but committed themselves to a core of Rondo, Monta, Parsons, Dirk, and TC + Devin for the rest of Dirk's career, and as many as 3 out of the top 5 in that list will be free agents next summer. I don't expect a repeat of the post-championship summer (no lockout, more room to spend up, the core isn't aging out, and the PR storm would be overwhelming), but I will be nervous.
Very true. I wonder about Tyson's salary next season. He's having such a great season. He'll be getting good offers.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #31
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
My only real concern is everyone fitting and being happy. As long as everyone's happy, the Mavs will bring them all back. They'll either make a couple shrewd moves to keep them just under the luxury tax, or they'll pay the tax for a season, knowing that the cap is about to shoot up and keep them out of the luxury tax the following season (so they don't start to trigger the repeater).

In that scenario, they'd go into the offseason with one of the best 6 man rotations in basketball, a MLE and BAE to spend, and most likely be among the destinations of choice for minimum salary rotation players (as they were last year).

If someone isn't happy, that's where things start to get pretty dicey.

And this tweet from Timmy Mac encourages me that the Mavs are not going to alienate Monta.

Quote:
Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 24m24 minutes ago
The Mavs still plan for Monta Ellis to be their primary pick-and-roll ballhandler. Rajon Rondo's arrival changes spacing, not Ellis' role.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-19-2014 at 12:56 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #32
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
My only real concern is everyone fitting and being happy. As long as everyone's happy, the Mavs will bring them all back. They'll either make a couple shrewd moves to keep them just under the luxury tax, or they'll pay the tax for a season, knowing that the cap is about to shoot up and keep them out of the luxury tax the following season (so they don't start to trigger the repeater).

In that scenario, they'd go into the offseason with one of the best 6 man rotations in basketball, a MLE and BAE to spend, and most likely be among the destinations of choice for minimum salary rotation players (as they were last year).

If someone isn't happy, that's where things start to get pretty dicey.
Just keep those Kardashian girls away from our players and we should be okay.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:03 AM   #33
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I liked Jae's defense, but we can get that from Aminu, who also has better skills on the break. I like Wright, but did you notice how, when we play the top teams, they defend the lobs and easy buckets he gets against lesser teams? I think he had 4 points in the loss to Miami and 7 against Golden State. Come playoff time, we couldn't count on his scoring. I expect he'll clean up against the weak sisters of the East.

I had high hopes for Nelson, and in the last few games, he'd started to dribble less and hit a few more 3's. But he was not an asset on either end of the court.

With Rondo, I expect the offense to run more smoothly. He won't be looking for his shot, so no more wasted possessions where Nelson dribbles around then hoists a three. I expect him to come in here inspired, happy to get out of that mess in Massachusetts. I expect him get the ball to Dirk where he wants it, and to play harder on a team that has a chance to win every night. And even if his defense is only 75% of what it once was, that's probably double what we get from any guard not named Harris.

I expect a lot. Can't wait to see what we'll get.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:24 AM   #34
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

When I first heard about this I was against it. Then I had mixed feelings. Now I'm totally on board with it.

Lets kick some ass.

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:39 AM   #35
candid_snoop41
Golden Member

candid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the rough

I am having wet dreams about him coming over to Dallas.

I am hyped up about this ****
Old 12-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #36
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

After watching some Rondo highlights I expect Tyson to soon average 3 slam dunks off Rondo alley oops per game. Parsons and Dirk will drain open 3s like there is no tomorrow. Not sure about Ellis, though, will probably have to get used to less ball-handling duties.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #37
Oberon

Oberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
After watching some Rondo highlights I expect Tyson to soon average 3 slam dunks off Rondo alley oops per game. Parsons and Dirk will drain open 3s like there is no tomorrow. Not sure about Ellis, though, will probably have to get used to less ball-handling duties.
Rondo is soo good at finding open men, it seems that people almost forget about that fact when talking about all his liabilities. Rondo is a guy that makes other players around him look better. Dirk and Parsons will get good looks while Chandler will get lots of opportunities to dunk and dunk and dunk (unfortunately we are now going to miss Wrights dunking abilities, he would have worked well with Rondo).

Now with that it all comes down to Carlisle whether Rondo and the other Mavs can make use of their full potential. There is no doubt that this roster has an abundance of talent but Rondo doesn't solve all the problems (we still need one or two good defenders) and his inconsistent shooting may add another one. Carlisle needs to adjust his role a little bit to make it work I guess. He can't be as dominant as in Boston where he basically ran the whole offense but has to share some of the ball-handling responsibilities with Ellis (Harris) and Parsons.

I also think adding another great shooter (especially long range) like Allen would be awesome for this team. If you have Rondo or Ellis driving to the basket, with Chandler inside and guys like Dirk, Parsons or Allen at the perimeter... ugh that would be a nightmare for any defense.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #38
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I will be amused during gdt when he starts clanking free throws. I just cannot get over my starting point shooting 30% at the charity stripe. It will be interesting for sure to see what he spends his time on the court doing while monta handles the ball so much during crunch time.

i may have watched about 10 minutes total of this dude and watching how rick handles it will definitely be worth paying attention too.

Has any coach dealt with such a potential change in offensive philosophy as rick is about to do mid-season?

I got my popcorn ready.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 12-19-2014 at 08:19 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #39
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Im curious how RC gonna tweak the rotation. Im pretty sure Monta will run the 2nd unit everytime Rondo sits. So thats probably allready ~16min with Monta as primary ballhandler.

My first guess would be that he pulls Rondo early in the 1st and 3rd with Dirk together...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #40
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Something to think about with Wright. He looked amazing on offense this year, BUT that was against scrub Eastern Conference teams. He had no highlight reels against SA, MEM, GS etc. Perhaps his highlight reels against the Eastern Conference teams upped his perceived value to Ainge and that pushed this deal over the top. Maybe he will get better, but perhaps we traded him with the absolute best value we will ever get for him. Perhaps Crowder will do better out in Boston. His minutes were always going to be limited playing for Carlisle. With that in mind, he's better off being traded for a starter. At the end of the day, we can find people easily to fill in the roles that Wright and Crowder played. No mention of Nelson because the guy sucked. We really have nothing to lose in this deal sitting at #6 in possibly the toughest conference that I can ever remember.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goat offense, jameer nelson goat