Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #41
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Just got offered:
J Nathan, J Mauer
for
Ryan Howard

I've also got Fielder, Kent & Aurilia eligable at 1B. Closer is a major issue for me. BJ Ryan was my main closer & tragically, I also have Brad Lidge. My catcher depth also sucks, I have Hernandez on the DL & Laird & his bag of nothing. Thoughts?

Last edited by ames7; 04-17-2007 at 10:54 PM.
ames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2007, 10:58 PM   #42
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
Just got offered:
J Nathan, J Mauer
for
Ryan Howard

I've also got Fielder, Kent & Aurilia eligable at 1B. Closer is a major issue for me. BJ Ryan was my main closer & tragically, I also have Brad Lidge. My catcher depth also sucks, I have Hernandez on the DL & Laird & his bag of nothing. Thoughts?
for one make sure you include looking at the numbers of whoever you are going to drop for this deal to go through before doing it. I personally wouldnt do it but thats because i value superstars over depth.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:03 PM   #43
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Ames, I tend to agree with Matt here. Of course, it does depend on what your league format is, but in the leagues I have played, I have always been able to find serviceable depth guys on the waiver wire. Stars over depth seems like a good strategy, in a routine sort of league format.

Last year it was crazy with closers come playoff time. Mariano and Hudson Street were worthless and Cordero was valuable, along with three or four other guys who had good stints backing up the main guys. Go figure. Lidge even had a very nice stretch there.

I never could even look at Laird last year, because he just didn't play regularly enough. I'm not playing fantasy this year, so I'm not keeping up. Is he getting regular starts?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:35 PM   #44
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Laird is the starter this year, but he's just off to a horrendous start. I'm not even playing a C right now w/Hernandez out. Laird is one of my sleepers though, I think he'll come around eventually to at least reasonably servicable numbers, or else I'll just drop him for someone off the wire.

I'm leaning toward no also. It seems like a short-term fix. It is a 10-team league, so there's a lot of value on the waiver wire. So annoying to already be in closer hell though.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:05 AM   #45
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Ames, I wouldn't do this. Before the season for my team I made a ton of deals, including trading away BJ Ryan (which now looks great, but hear me out) and leaving me with only 2 RP's to fill 3 RP spots. Since then I've picked up Frasor and Al Reyes to go along with Putz who I've had all along. The morale of the story is it's very easy to find saves off the waiver wire if you keep your eyes open. Don't pay for saves, keep Howard. As for Laird, I'd drop him and pick up a guy like Russel Martin or another catcher off the wire.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:07 AM   #46
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Should I drop Laroche? I'm about fed up with him.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 04-21-2007, 01:16 AM   #47
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Should I drop Laroche? I'm about fed up with him.
yes, but i dunno how big your league is. just hit the performance rank under players and find a solid hitter to replace laroche.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:20 AM   #48
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

I just dropped him for X.Nady, what do you think?

Old 04-21-2007, 01:28 AM   #49
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

does it have to be OF?
i dont think nady will keep those numbers all season, plus hes on the pirates...less RBI/runs.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:32 AM   #50
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

no, it doesnt have to be an OF but he's the highest ranked. The only other solid choices are Rowand, Theriot, Kelly Johnson, Ensberg, Teahen, Edwin Encarnacion, and Stephen Drew.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:36 AM   #51
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
no, it doesnt have to be an OF but he's the highest ranked. The only other solid choices are Rowand, Theriot, Kelly Johnson, Ensberg, Teahen, Edwin Encarnacion, and Stephen Drew.
get teahen. i guarantee you youll thank me later.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:38 AM   #52
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
get teahen. i guarantee you youll thank me later.
I had him earlier, and dropped himcuz he's been horrible. It's only a 10 team league with deep rosters. I'll think about it though.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:40 AM   #53
DOMINATOR

oh, id keep an eye on granderson, aurilia, hawpe, scott, jenkins. if their available.

is josh hamilton taken yet?

Last edited by DOMINATOR; 04-21-2007 at 01:42 AM.
DOMINATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:41 AM   #54
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Oh, Joe Crede is another option. I just dropped Nady and got Teahen back, but the problem is I have so much great pitching, and it goes with my strategy, that I don't keep any bench hitters. So by dropping Laroche for Nady, and then Teahen I have Teahen (and his .200 average) in my lineup. I need an option that will produce now, or at least soon.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:43 AM   #55
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMINATOR
oh, id keep an eye on granderson, aurilia, hawpe, scott, jenkins. if their available.
Granderson, Aurilia, Hawpe and Jenkins are all taken. If the Scott you're referring to is Luke Scott he's still available, so I'll keep an eye on him.

Edit: Mike Jacobs is another option.

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 04-21-2007 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:49 AM   #56
DOMINATOR

hmm im guessing iwamura and alou are gone too then.
id take luke scott over jacobs and teahen but i dont know much about teahen.

scott could be .310/25hr/85rbi
Old 04-21-2007, 01:49 AM   #57
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Oh, Joe Crede is another option. I just dropped Nady and got Teahen back, but the problem is I have so much great pitching, and it goes with my strategy, that I don't keep any bench hitters. So by dropping Laroche for Nady, and then Teahen I have Teahen (and his .200 average) in my lineup. I need an option that will produce now, or at least soon.
he had 3 hits today and he was lights out last season so he might be turning it around.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:50 AM   #58
Five-ofan
Guru

teahen was signifigantly better than david wright for the last month and a half last season.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:51 AM   #59
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
hmm im guessing iwamura and alou are gone too then.
id take luke scott over jacobs and teahen but i dont know much about teahen.

scott could be .310/25hr/85rbi
Yeahboth of them are gone, and it's hard to go with Scott when it's coming from an Astros homer

Thanks for your help though, I'll stick with Teahen at the moment but I'll keep Scott in mind.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:52 AM   #60
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
teahen was signifigantly better than david wright for the last month and a half last season.
I'm going to go with him for now, but comparing Teahen to Wright is crazy

Old 04-21-2007, 01:58 AM   #61
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I'm going to go with him for now, but comparing Teahen to Wright is crazy
oh id rather have wright obviously but for the last month and half last year there is no question who the better player was. teahen had the quietest 874 ops season ive seen in a long time. plus he had 18 homers and 10 steals in 109 games played. the guy can hit. its just a matter of time.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:12 AM   #62
DOMINATOR

Quote:
Yeahboth of them are gone, and it's hard to go with Scott when it's coming from an Astros homer
lol, ok.
another one came to mind. chris duncan... hes probably gone. watch out for prospects though Adam Jones and Hunter Pence (<---hell yeah)
Old 04-21-2007, 02:27 AM   #63
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
oh id rather have wright obviously but for the last month and half last year there is no question who the better player was. teahen had the quietest 874 ops season ive seen in a long time. plus he had 18 homers and 10 steals in 109 games played. the guy can hit. its just a matter of time.
I agree, I knew he did well last year and picked himup this year. He just hasn't done what I'd expected, but I'll give him another shot. Thanks for all your help.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:28 AM   #64
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
lol, ok.
another one came to mind. chris duncan... hes probably gone. watch out for prospects though Adam Jones and Hunter Pence (<---hell yeah)
Yeah, he's gone too, and I'll keep an eye out for those guys. Thanks for all your help.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:53 AM   #65
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Teahen with a bomb today, so far so good.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #66
DOMINATOR

Hunter Pence was called up today. starting CF

so far he is 1-2 single with a run

Last edited by DOMINATOR; 04-28-2007 at 07:55 PM.
DOMINATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:42 AM   #67
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Lots of people are picking him up, he's looked pretty good so far.

Tim Linecum, the Giants top prospect was called up today and is going to start today.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #68
DOMINATOR

pence hit a grand slam yesterday. granted the game was already over but that doesnt matter in fantasy sports.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #69
Five-ofan
Guru

the teahen pickup should be working out well for you nashty. The more i think about it, its not crazy to compare him to wright. wright is looking more and more like the next hank blalock by the day. The question now is what to do with brad lidge. I obviously dont own him but a hes a free agent and his stuff is back to its electric self if youve been watching recently. The question is will garner put him back in the closer role and if so will he remain successful in that role?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #70
DOMINATOR

Quote:
the teahen pickup should be working out well for you nashty. The more i think about it, its not crazy to compare him to wright. wright is looking more and more like the next hank blalock by the day. The question now is what to do with brad lidge. I obviously dont own him but a hes a free agent and his stuff is back to its electric self if youve been watching recently. The question is will garner put him back in the closer role and if so will he remain successful in that role?
im beginning to think you are Teahen lol.
wheeler gave up 2 runs last night and another tonight. lidge may move back to closer sooner than you think. lidge also has most Ks per inning, so if you need Ks.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #71
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
im beginning to think you are Teahen lol.
wheeler gave up 2 runs last night and another tonight. lidge may move back to closer sooner than you think. lidge also has most Ks per inning, so if you need Ks.
hehe im actually distantly related to him.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #72
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, it's working out pretty well. Wright is NOT the next Blalock, Wright's swing is perfect, he's just off to a slow start. He'll come around. I haven't seen Lidge pitch recently, but I'd expect him to move back to closer as soon as they think he's back to his normal self. And that's pretty cool that you're distantly related to Teahen haha

Old 05-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #73
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
hehe im actually distantly related to him.
lol this explains so many things about your love for teahen. though he is a good player too... so which 2nd cousin married a 2nd cousin of teahens? (I guess that is about as distant as you can get)
Old 05-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #74
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Well he is a solid player, and 5-0 likes solid underrated players.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:26 PM   #75
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei
lol this explains so many things about your love for teahen. though he is a good player too... so which 2nd cousin married a 2nd cousin of teahens? (I guess that is about as distant as you can get)
His dad and my dad are 2nd cousins, whatever that makes us is what we are but ive never met him so like i said its not that big a deal im just a big fan of guys who are underrated and i like to consider myself one of the more knowledgeable baseball fans on this board. Wright has a great swing and he is finally coming around but he had struggled for a long a time.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #76
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
His dad and my dad are 2nd cousins, whatever that makes us is what we are but ive never met him so like i said its not that big a deal im just a big fan of guys who are underrated and i like to consider myself one of the more knowledgeable baseball fans on this board. Wright has a great swing and he is finally coming around but he had struggled for a long a time.
Same here, I love baseball and I am a fan of a bunch of the younger players. Like you said, he started off real cold, but he's been heating up and he'll still have a solid season.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:27 PM   #77
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, it's working out pretty well. Wright is NOT the next Blalock, Wright's swing is perfect, he's just off to a slow start. He'll come around. I haven't seen Lidge pitch recently, but I'd expect him to move back to closer as soon as they think he's back to his normal self. And that's pretty cool that you're distantly related to Teahen haha
btw on the lidge thing, i happen to live in the houston tv market while im in college and so ive watched alot of lidge recently and he has been back to his filthy unhittable self recently. If they move him back to closer, i will be dropping rivera to add him.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:31 PM   #78
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
btw on the lidge thing, i happen to live in the houston tv market while im in college and so ive watched alot of lidge recently and he has been back to his filthy unhittable self recently. If they move him back to closer, i will be dropping rivera to add him.
You must have someone worse than Rivera to drop...? Rivera started slow last year and then, well he was flat out awesome.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:45 PM   #79
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
You must have someone worse than Rivera to drop...? Rivera started slow last year and then, well he was flat out awesome.
this is my roster

Mccann
Ortiz
Utley
tejada
chipper jones
crawford
abreu
lee
beltran

(bench)
atkins
upton
howie kendrick(dl)

pitchers
Santana
maine
sabathia
rich hill
wagner
todd jones
rivera

bench
felix herndandez
Aaron harang
carlos zambrano
Old 05-08-2007, 11:51 PM   #80
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Pretty darn solid. I'd still go with Rivera over Lidge, but it's your call.