Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-10-2003, 09:59 AM   #1
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road
Default A "Would Ya" trade with Chicago

Let me start off by saying...I think we all know that the team that is presently constructed has little to no chance of winning a championship. We are a heavy gaurd/forward team with dire need of a low post body. And I'm sorry, Shawn Bradley will not cut it, not while Duncan and Shaq are roaming the middle. So I looked around and tried to find a team the was heavy with low post players and a team that may be looking to deal coming the trade deadline..and I came up with Chicago..

*note that this trade could not take place until Feb. 1, 2004..because of the Bulls recent addition of Jerome W.

Chicago trades: SF Eddie Robinson (4.7 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 1.4 apg in 18.8 minutes)
PF Jerome Williams (5.6 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 0.8 apg in 27.3 minutes)
PG Jay Williams
C Eddy Curry (14.1 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1.1 apg in 31.2 minutes)

Chicago receives: PG Tony Delk (8.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.8 apg in 14 games)
SF Eduardo Najera (3.8 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 0.5 apg in 19 games)
SG Michael Finley (16.0 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.0 apg in 19 games)

First off, this is not another "lets find a way to dump Finley". It looks like Howard is primed for more minutes with his recent play and by moving Finley would open that up for him. Also it would give more backup minutes to Daniels who looks like a player himself. We get younger and quicker with a better emphasis on defense with the removal of Finley and promotion of Howard. I'm a HUGE Michael Finley fan but you have to see the writing on the wall and know that one day soon Howard needs to get playing time and it has to be at the expense of Finley.

Why Dallas does this trade:

The center piece of the trade for Dallas is Eddy Curry. Even though he is still young he has that big body that the mavs need in the low post. He hasn't shown much of a defensive presence yet, but the kid is still a project and needs some years behind him. I like this kid alot and could be the answer that the mavs have been waiting for.. for the next 12 years. We also would get a really feisty veteren in Jerome Williams. He would replace Najera as that player who comes in to give that energy and defensive hustle off the bench. The other two players are contracts that the Mavs eat in Eddie Robinson and the injured Jay Williams. Robinson could see some time off the bench but we would be lucky to receive anything from Jay Williams. The Mavs have the luxury to stash Jay on IR until and if he recovers fully from his injury.

Why Chicago does this trade:

The Bulls and the media in Chicago have always tried to figure out a way to get the Finley back to his hometown of Chicago and Dallas may be primed to let that happen. The Bulls have an abundance of low post players and even though it would hurt to lose the young Curry it wouldn't hurt that bad to get back a seasoned verteren like Finley to add to the backcourt. They basically trade an old Jerome Williams with a young energetic Najera who would be an instant fan favorite off the bench. And to make the money match they take back a clutch shooter in Delk who would bring instant offense off the bench. Plus they get to dump Jay Williams with Hinrich primed to be the future at PG.

Updated roster for Dallas:

PG: Nash - Best
SG: Howard - Daniels
SF: Walker - Jamison - Robinson
PF: Nowitzki - Je. Williams
C: Curry - Bradley - Fortson

IR: TAW - Jay Williams - Steffanson

Updated roster for Chicago:

PG: Crawford - Hinrich
SG: Finley - Gill - Johnson
SF: Pippen - Najera - Jefferies
PF: Chandler - Fizer
C: Davis - Blount

Would Ya?

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2003, 10:11 AM   #2
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:A "Would Ya" trade with Chicago

I don't know, that might work...but getting rid of Najera necessary for that deal?
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:36 AM   #3
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Im not so sure Chicago jumps on this deal
Old 12-10-2003, 10:38 AM   #4
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I'm torn.

Curry is a skilled big body, and those are hard to come by.

He's a nice low post player with good scoring ability, and most importantly, he's 21.

That said, there are a lot of things he still needs to work on.

He's not a dominating rebounder like he should be with his frame. He's not very good defensively. He's foul-prone.

If you think he can improve those things, you'd have to do this trade. If you don't, I don't know why you would.

As for Chicago's end of things, I agree with Jamisonite. I'm not so sure they'd do the deal, although it is a realistic proposal because you're offering them fair value in return (a veteran leader, eating up two bad contracts).

Old 12-10-2003, 10:41 AM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Chicago will not give up Curry without one of our big men. Walker or Jamison will have to be included.

Old 12-10-2003, 10:53 AM   #6
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Not so sure about that. They got a long jam down low...Curry, Chandler, Davis, Williams, Fizer
Old 12-10-2003, 11:18 AM   #7
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: A "Would Ya" trade with Chicago

As much as I hate to admit this, I would definitely pull the trigger on this trade... Finley, while I love his game and would miss him grately, would really help Chicago compete immediately. Curry could do the same for us, as well as many years to come... He might honestly pan out to be the second best center in the league behind Shaq, (possibly third/fourth depending on how much Yao and Miller improve). Najera is a poor mans Junk Yard dog, so we get a better rebounding, better defending, better scoring spark off of the bench in Williams AND we get to release the shooting first Delk to give more shots to Dirk/Jamison/Howard...

I say that this helps us tremendously... While we lose some leadership and overall shooting skill, we get a lot of help in our weak areas while giving up what we are strong in...

I am a huge Finley fan, but I say pull the trigger on this one!!!
Old 12-10-2003, 11:26 AM   #8
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
I don't know, that might work...but getting rid of Najera necessary for that deal?
I like Najera as much as the next person, but you have to give to get. Chicago is not going to hand over a young talent like Curry for just Finley. Personally, I think Chicago would seriously think about it because we would be eating two bad contracts in Robinson and Williams.

Old 12-10-2003, 11:36 AM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Chicago will not give up Curry without one of our big men. Walker or Jamison will have to be included.
Here's a scenario that works, and one that I would do...

Dallas trades: SF Antawn Jamison (14.2 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.2 apg in 29.2 minutes)
SF Eduardo Najera (3.8 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 0.5 apg in 15.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: SF Eddie Robinson (4.7 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 1.4 apg in 18.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +6.4 ppg, +7.0 rpg, and +1.6 apg.

Chicago receives: SF Antawn Jamison (14.2 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.2 apg in 19 games)
Change in team outlook: -6.4 ppg, -7.0 rpg, and -1.6 apg

New Dallas roster:

Curry - Bradley - Fortson
Nowitzki - Williams
Walker - Howard - Robinson
Finley - Daniels - Delk
Nash - Best

If Curry can bang with and/or help defend Shaq at all, that makes for a pretty good trade.

Plus, you just added a promising 21 year old center.

Personally, I think Bulls management would be crucified if they gave up on him.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:46 AM   #10
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

First off, I'm not inclined to agree that our current team has little or no chance of winning a championship. I may change my mind later on in the season, either because the Lakers just continue to stomp everyone, or because the team just never gels, but I don't think that right now. Second, even if I did think that I wouldn't make that trade. It decimates our SG core, and we don't get the defensive presence in the middle that should be our priority, IMO.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:48 AM   #11
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Here's a scenario that works, and one that I would do...

Dallas trades: SF Antawn Jamison (14.2 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.2 apg in 29.2 minutes)
SF Eduardo Najera (3.8 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 0.5 apg in 15.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: SF Eddie Robinson (4.7 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 1.4 apg in 18.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +6.4 ppg, +7.0 rpg, and +1.6 apg.

Chicago receives: SF Antawn Jamison (14.2 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.2 apg in 19 games)
Change in team outlook: -6.4 ppg, -7.0 rpg, and -1.6 apg

New Dallas roster:

Curry - Bradley - Fortson
Nowitzki - Williams
Walker - Howard - Robinson
Finley - Daniels - Delk
Nash - Best

If Curry can bang with and/or help defend Shaq at all, that makes for a pretty good trade.

Plus, you just added a promising 21 year old center.

Personally, I think Bulls management would be crucified if they gave up on him.

I don't think that the Bulls want another forward. Even though that the talent is better, they would rather have Finley. Atleast he fills a need. Kendall Gill is not there answer at SG.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:49 AM   #12
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Well I can see ways in which this trade is better, (do not lose leadership and keep the big 3 intact), and worse, (lose youth and a need [Inside rebounding/scoring]), by keeping Finley and giving up Jamison from the Mavericks' perspective but I do not think that Chicago would go for it... The ONLY reason I think they would even go for the original trade is Finley's roots and the fan attraction that would be there once he arrived, (jersey and ticket sales).

Also, I think that the Bulls have sent a strong message towards Curry AND Chandler regarding giving up on them by saying that they would not exercise their options...

I like both trades to be honest, just because they both fill a great need by only giving up one of the top 5 players on our team... Hell I would be OK with Walker being the main moving piece as well... But my preference due to what each player brings would be Finley going rather than Jamison or Walker, (simply because we have many shooters, and I am hesitant to give up one of our only two inside scorers).
Old 12-10-2003, 11:52 AM   #13
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Think about it...

We would have Curry, Jamison, and Walker as inside scoring threats with Walker, Dirk, and Nash as snipers, (certainly less of Walker doing this, but you get the point). This would be about as balanced as the Mavericks ever have been... I think we could really compete with the Lakers as well as any other team with this lineup...
Old 12-10-2003, 12:04 PM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Bomber - Who's the long-term small forward for the Bulls? I think Jamison would fit -- but honestly I don't think they'd do either deal.

I'd definitely do the Jamison deal and think long and hard about the Finley deal.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:34 PM   #15
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Bomber - Who's the long-term small forward for the Bulls? I think Jamison would fit -- but honestly I don't think they'd do either deal.

I'd definitely do the Jamison deal and think long and hard about the Finley deal.
I agree that Jamison is a better choice for Chicago than Finley (despite reports of how they want the Chicago native back).

However, I'm not sure Chicago would do either deal no matter how "log-jammed" they are at the post position. They especially don't want to give up Curry in this deal without getting Nash or Nowitzki out of it. Curry has a lot of upside and they won't trade him for anything less than a top-notch all-star.

I would do it from the Mavs point of view, but not from Chicago's point of view. They would do well to wait for a better deal. With all those young players, time is on their side.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:48 PM   #16
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
I would do it from the Mavs point of view, but not from Chicago's point of view. They would do well to wait for a better deal. With all those young players, time is on their side.
Agreed.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:05 PM   #17
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

While I agree with the majority of what you both said, let me repeat myself:

Also, I think that the Bulls have sent a strong message towards Curry AND Chandler regarding giving up on them by saying that they would not exercise their options...

If this does not say they are tradeable, I dont know what does...

I think that Finley, who meets Kingrex's criteria of a "Top-Notch All-Star," would be a great fit there with Chandler and Davis working inside. This trade makes them older, but like I said, it puts them in the position to win now!!! I think so many people take Finley's skills for granted... You put him on a terrible team, and he is dropping 20-25 points per game...
Old 12-10-2003, 01:50 PM   #18
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Quote:

If Chandler is not in the Bulls long term interests then Jamison makes sense. I just can't see a team showcasing both Jamison and Chandler, there games and body types are too close together. They don't have the range to consistently hit the outside jumper and they two small to bang with the bigger PF's in this league. Call me crazy, but I think Chicago would rather have Walker then Jamison, because he would bring a different dimension to there team. The Bulls allready have a poor-mans version of Jamison in Chandler. They don't need two of them.
If I were the Bulls I would stick with both Curry and Chandler. They both should be what? Sophmores(maybe Juniors) in college right know? I would give them both atleast 4 years together to see if they have made progress.

All in all, I would rather see Finley being delt to Chicago then Jamison or Walker. I guess I just have high hopes for the rookie Howard and would like to see him blossom here instead of moving on somewhere else when his contract expires.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:53 PM   #19
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

let me just say that I am in on the Mavs making a trade THIS SEASON to help them win this year.....just dont think that this team will go far....too many similar parts....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:50 PM   #20
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I'm against all the scenario of us giving up one of the Big 5 for Curry. Curry is just too raw and I don't see Dallas as a place for him to develop. Dallas is a horrible place to try and develop a center. I think we do better going after a stop gap center in FA and keeping our talented players together.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:37 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
I'm against all the scenario of us giving up one of the Big 5 for Curry. Curry is just too raw and I don't see Dallas as a place for him to develop. Dallas is a horrible place to try and develop a center. I think we do better going after a stop gap center in FA and keeping our talented players together.
I can see it now, Curry, Howard, and Dirk growing old together.....on the court LRB, I dont want to give your gutter mind a chance with this one![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 12-10-2003, 05:40 PM   #22
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Walkerforthree is on a distinguished road

Yes, I do it. Curry lead the NBA in fg% on a bad team for a reason.
Walkerforthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 05:43 PM   #23
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

It would take both Finley and Jamison to pry Curry (plus whatever) away from Chicago.

Curry is young & he's a center. If you want him, then you'll have to seriously overpay to get him.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 06:17 PM   #24
giantbenmav

giantbenmav is on a distinguished road

Paxson is now the GM and he might make a move like this, because these are Krause kids.....if paxson wants his stamp on the team and is unhappy with Curry or Chandler he WILL pull the trigger....

Go MAVS!!!!
giantbenmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 06:29 PM   #25
sike
The Preacha

ally posted by: giantbenmav[/i]
Paxson is now the GM and he might make a move like this, because these are Krause kids.....if paxson wants his stamp on the team and is unhappy with Curry or Chandler he WILL pull the trigger....[/quote]

I like the look of this ben......he reminds me of some one.....(here's your shot LRB)

Old 12-11-2003, 05:59 PM   #26
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Yes this team needs a 30 minute a night center. Yes of course I would trade just finley and najera for Curry. I just don't see Chicago doing it. You can never have too much of a good thing in the middle.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote