Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #41
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
FWIW, I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion around these parts, but I'd trade just about anything I could if I was the MBT and Rubio was attainable.
Why?? What's the fascination with a guy who has a 36.8% career field goal percentage and a 31.8% career three point percentage??? You can't win games in the NBA if you can't put the ball through the hoop... Dude makes Rondo look like a sharpshooter in comparison.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #42
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see us trading for a pg barring something quite unique happening. We may not have a great track record with getting the top guys in free agency but there are enough free agent pg's next year to make me hesitant on giving up value for a guys under long contracts with injury problems. Curry(not leaving), Cp3, Teague, Lowry, Burke, MCW, Livingston, Holliday, Schroeder, Rose, Rondo(no), Dwill, Jennings. That's enough of a pool to not go crazy trading young assets/picks for players with major questions/concerns regarding fit/health and being owed money for 2 more years beyond this one. Holliday, Rose, and Dwill all have injury issues and all will be entirely available next off season without giving up assets. MCW and Livingston could be nice adds to the bench and Teague is underrated and could fit here pretty well considering he usually is near the top in drives per game.

I'm against trading anything at all for Rubio and I'm against trading for Bledsoe unless the price did not include TC and he was basically given to us. Rubio for the reasons UD has said many times about his poor shooting(as well as injury concerns) and I just don't want 14m a year for 3 years invested in that even if he was basically free. Bledsoe at least when healthy is good at basically everything. We could at least cling to the Mavs medical bringing out the best in him like they do with everyone. Othwerwise if I wanted to take a risk with an injured pg who is young I'd just keep an eye on Holliday. If I wanted to go big I'd go Teague since I don't think the other top guys are leaving or they would command too much.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:38 PM   #43
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Barring a trade for a definite superstar, I don't know if the Mavs will made a Rondo-type trade again. Does Rubio or Bledsoe put us over the top? I really think the FO values depth over such moves...especially now that the defense has been sorted out. When the Rondo trade was made, the defense and rebounding were hilariously bad.

But now you have Williams, Harris, Curry, and Barea to man the point. And it's pretty much a given that at least two of those guys won't be healthy at some point during the season. You can't sacrifice depth for more injury prone players like Bledsoe and Rubio.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #44
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Does Rubio or Bledsoe put us over the top?
Nope, it's just a trade for the sake of making a trade... Deron Williams is probably still a better option than either of those guys when the game is on the line, and of course the injury risk is a wash.

Quote:
But now you have Williams, Harris, Curry, and Barea to man the point.
Not only are we deep at the position, but 3/4 of those guys are veterans with proven results in Carlisle's system... I wouldn't be shocked if all three of them tried to stick in Dallas long enough to ride out into the sunset alongside Dirk.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #45
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I don't see us trading for a pg barring something quite unique happening. We may not have a great track record with getting the top guys in free agency but there are enough free agent pg's next year to make me hesitant on giving up value for a guys under long contracts with injury problems. Curry(not leaving), Cp3, Teague, Lowry, Burke, MCW, Livingston, Holliday, Schroeder, Rose, Rondo(no), Dwill, Jennings. That's enough of a pool to not go crazy trading young assets/picks for players with major questions/concerns regarding fit/health and being owed money for 2 more years beyond this one.
Bingo-bango, leggo my steel Eggo... No need to go after PGs with a trade this year unless you can get one of next summer's FAs early (and with an extension). Otherwise we can afford to be patient at the position.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #46
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Why?? What's the fascination with a guy who has a 36.8% career field goal percentage and a 31.8% career three point percentage??? You can't win games in the NBA if you can't put the ball through the hoop... Dude makes Rondo look like a sharpshooter in comparison.
if you want a guy who is great at making plays but can't shoot, making the game essentially a 4-on-5, why not keep Rondo or Mekel?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #47
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
if you want a guy who is great at making plays but can't shoot, making the game essentially a 4-on-5, why not keep Rondo or Mekel?
Yeah, I clearly remember opponents sagging off of Rondo and daring him to shoot from the outside (which killed both his confidence and our team's confidence in him), and the season just unraveled from there... You can't win 4-on-5 in today's offensive-minded NBA -- not with Old Man Dirk as your only go-to scorer, anyway.

Going after Rubio would officially kill the hard-on I have for this upcoming season, especially since whoever we'd have to send to Minny probably has more potential to be an actual difference-maker (Ã* la Crowder-for-Rondo).

Last edited by Underdog; 09-09-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:53 PM   #48
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Rubio is a next-level distributor and passer and probably the best defensive PG in the league. He managed to have an even +/- despite playing for a 33-win team. And look at the on/off splits for every rotation player on the Wolves for the past few years. Every single one of them is a better player with him on the floor.

Yes, he's a bad shooter (understatement... I believe he's the worst shooter in the history of the league for the volume of shots he's taken) but he's still a top-10 point guard even with those deficiencies. And he's still only 25!

To me he's basically like a B or B- version of New Jersey Jason Kidd... he's just had the disadvantage of poor teammates in an historically great conference.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:07 PM   #49
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Rubio is a next-level distributor and passer and probably the best defensive PG in the league. He managed to have an even +/- despite playing for a 33-win team. And look at the on/off splits for every rotation player on the Wolves for the past few years. Every single one of them is a better player with him on the floor.

Yes, he's a bad shooter (understatement... I believe he's the worst shooter in the history of the league for the volume of shots he's taken) but he's still a top-10 point guard even with those deficiencies. And he's still only 25!

To me he's basically like a B or B- version of New Jersey Jason Kidd... he's just had the disadvantage of poor teammates in an historically great conference.
Even though a lot of that is encouraging, I'm still very very against him being in this offense. The pg in our offense isn't playing maestro, RC is. The pg will get us in a set and then many times he will find himself without the ball in his hands on the perimeter. Seeing Rubio on the perimeter without the ball in his hands would cause bleeding from our eyes. I just don't think he would fit well with us in this system.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:54 PM   #50
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
If by blockbuster you mean swapping a bunch of players from the back of the Mavs roster for a set of players off the back of some other team's roster, then, ya, they are.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:04 PM   #51
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
If by blockbuster you mean swapping a bunch of players from the back of the Mavs roster for a set of players off the back of some other team's roster, then, ya, they are.
My guess is we trade 3-4 10-15 (deep roster) guys for 1-2 guys who may see some backup minutes
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #52
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Yes, that I can see happening.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote