Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-02-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2016 Trade Assets

The Dallas Mavericks Are Primed for a Blockbuster Trade

Quote:
How many players would warrant a package of maybe a Williams, Anderson, Curry, and future first? Or a Bogut, Anderson, Powell and future first?

If Sacramento came calling with DeMarcus Cousins, would he be worth it? What if Indiana implodes and for some reason decides to shop Paul George? What if Utah is weary about maxing out Rudy Gobert? Would Brook Lopez be worth it? How much would Dallas give up for Goran Dragic if Miami wanted to clear space for next summer?

What if the Clips really did entertain trading Blake Griffin? How much would Dallas give up for one of the guards in Phoenix? What if things went south in Toronto and they were unsure about maxing out Kyle Lowry next summer?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I know he is just naming some possible players but there is a 0% chance that a package of Curry/Simba/2018 1st is enough to land PG13, BG32, or Cousins if one of them was on the market. We could get players in the Dragic tier I'm sure but what would be the point? It doesn't really move our needle enough to make us contend with GSW's now, and it takes away youth and future assets for maybe 3-5 wins in the standings?

IMO the Mavs would only be in the market for smaller trades, not blockbuster moves. They don't have enough assets for the top players and moving all the assets for borderline all star players just seems like poor asset management for where we are at right now IMO. I could see them moving guys like Bogut or Wes if we fell out of playoff race. Maybe if Curry/Simba showed they could play a larger role someone could be moved. I just don't see a big package deal happening though.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, definitely a slow part of the offseason article.

The best thing that can happen is for one or more of Anderson, Curry, Barnes, or Powell to take the next step. And they'd have to to net you someone of the Cousins caliber anyway. But at that point, why trade them?

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I've lost track. When was the last blockbuster trade?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Kidd in 07-08?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think some of these examples really count as "blockbusters" -- guys like Dragic and Lopez aren't any better than Chandler was when we traded to get him back from NYK... But we definitely have the assets to land a player of that caliber.

Last edited by Underdog; 09-04-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Kidd in 07-08?
The Rondo trade was pretty blockbuster. Trading for a 28 year old allstar point guard. But the last blockbuster trade that actually worked out was the Kidd one.
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #8
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

We are so doomed. I am so gloomy tonight.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

I was about to argue against Rondo as blockbuster trade but I have to give that one. His last all-star game was 2 seasons before the trade. Only problem is that his worth was pretty much nothing even though he was producing as well as he was before. I really have no idea what argument one can use against Rondo being blockbuster trade, other than the assets that were given up at that time.

Perhaps many of us still count that trade as Crowder for Powell and Rondo's contract was just a filler... Especially since Powell and Simba have been doing fine.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:19 PM   #10
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't surprise me to see us entertain some type of deal with Phoenix for someone like Bledsoe. They will most likely want to unload Chandler and we certainly have some expiring contracts that could make it work to possibly net Bledsoe without giving up too many future-oriented assets.

With the investment/commitment in Barnes, I could see Anderson as a potential young piece we might be willing to part with to address another position need.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:37 AM   #11
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

The two most likely deals I could see happening are Wes(and maybe Powell?) for Rubio. Kris Dunn and Zach Lavine both look like the real deal. And they can both shoot which is needed on that team. Rubio will be moved.

Or something, not sure what, for MCW(RFA). Bucks have Greek Freak and dellevadova and maybe Grevis? Not sure what we have they'd want.

Only way I trade Simba is as part of a deal for an all-star caliber player as someone said above. I like Bledsoe but he's always hurt. Would rather hang onto our homegrown athletic freak

Last edited by mac222b; 09-06-2016 at 02:51 AM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:07 AM   #12
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
It wouldn't surprise me to see us entertain some type of deal with Phoenix for someone like Bledsoe. They will most likely want to unload Chandler and we certainly have some expiring contracts that could make it work to possibly net Bledsoe without giving up too many future-oriented assets.

With the investment/commitment in Barnes, I could see Anderson as a potential young piece we might be willing to part with to address another position need.
Presuming we could make salaries match without including Wes or Bogut: how close to contention would adding Bledsoe and Tyson get this team? I know every move we make is one eye on the future but Bledsoe is still young. We'd be a little thin at guard if we had to include Devin and Deron to make salaries match. Powell 9m, Devin 4m, JJB 4m gets us in the ballpark. Giving up JA and a moderately(top5) protected first seems too much. One w/out the other, not quite enough.

Tyson/Bogut/Meijiri
Dirk/Barnes/Acy
Barnes/Wes
Wes/Bledsoe
Bledsoe/Deron/Curry

Bench is thin but top 7 is stout. Closing lineup with Bogut at Center would be elite defensively. Would just need another legit sized 3 that can defend for 10-15 per night in the mold of Richard Jefferson.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #13
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Presuming we could make salaries match without including Wes or Bogut: how close to contention would adding Bledsoe and Tyson get this team?
Wes/Bogut >>> Bledsoe/Tyson

I like Bledsoe when he's healthy, but he's only played 2/3 of the games in his career... And have you watched Ty in Phoenix?? Dude is DONE -- no way he turns it around at 34 years old... Not to mention that he's done nothing but talk sh!t about the Mavs ever since we let him walk again.

I like the way you're thinking, but this trade isn't really an upgrade over what we already have.

Last edited by Underdog; 09-06-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #14
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

I like Bledsoe when he's healthy, but he's only played 2/3 of the games in his career... And have you watched Ty in Phoenix?? Dude is DONE -- no way he turns it around at 34 years old... Not to mention that he's done nothing but talk sh!t about the Mavs ever since we let him walk again.

I like the way you're thinking, but this trade isn't really an upgrade over what we already have.
Hey UD- i think you misread my post. I was positing a trade scenario in which we KEEP Wes and Bogut. I think it is possible. Just not likely. I think Devin, JJB, Seth, Powell, Acy and JA gets us about there. Would have to involve a 3rd team to absorb so many players. We keep Deron Wes and Bogut. Have a killer top 7 but seriously short on depth. But imagine trying to guard a closing lineup of Dirk, Barnes, Wes, Bledsoe, Deron. Or a closing defensive lineup of Bogut, Dirk, Barnes, Wes, Bledsoe.

I think we would be might be top 2-3 in the West and top 5-10 defensively. Bledsoe would be a massive upgrade on the perimeter defensively
Old 09-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #15
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:

Also Ty was actually sneaky good down the stretch last season when he was healthy. He was pretty much at his career averages across the board except his shot blocking was down. Bogut and Chandler for 20 mins each per night with a little Meijiri or small ball mixed in would be nasty
Old 09-06-2016, 02:12 PM   #16
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's possible to make the trades Mac proposed... Deron or Bogut (or Wes or Barnes) would have to be included if we wanted to acquire Tyson and Bledsoe. From a cap perspective, that's a tough trade to pull off without losing a member of this year's core.

On top of that, Isaac Harris botches the Stepien Rule. Since the 2016 draft has come and gone, our 2017 first-rounder is fair game in a trade; we just can't trade 2017 AND 2018 right now (or 2018 and 2019, etc). At this point, you'd have to think the MBT has learned a lesson about trading them.

I'm hopefully that this team is going to be very competitive night-in and night-out this year (I personally hope to see us as a top-10 team in terms of rebounding and defensive efficiency), but if the wheels come off in mid-December and we're dropping in the standings, I think we're more if a candidate to sell off players to a contender than we are to take pieces from a non-contender.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #17
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that Bledsoe has been hurt so much and is only 26 is a huge red flag. It actually isn't dissimilar from the Chandler Parsons situation although Parsons has't been quite as bad. Still, if players get hurt so much when they're young, then that almost certainly isn't going to get better as they age.

I will say that Bledsoe is likely one of the more acquirable players through trade, but if Phoenix is horrible again, then why give up much to get him? No way I'd give up a first rounder.

And I think there is bad blood concerning Tyson Chandler. He isn't entirely unjustified with some of things he has said, but it makes who I thought was a classy player look classless.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 09-06-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #18
Underdog

Quote:
Hey UD- i think you misread my post. I was positing a trade scenario in which we KEEP Wes and Bogut.
Boy, yeah I did... My reading comprehension is garbage between sunrise and noon (I don't drink coffee).

But I still feel the same way about those players -- Bledsoe can't stay on the court, and I really don't think Tyson would be happy playing for Mark Cuban again, even if he could somehow turn back the clock for a season.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #19
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hey UD- i think you misread my post. I was positing a trade scenario in which we KEEP Wes and Bogut. I think it is possible. Just not likely. I think Devin, JJB, Seth, Powell, Acy and JA gets us about there. Would have to involve a 3rd team to absorb so many players. We keep Deron Wes and Bogut. Have a killer top 7 but seriously short on depth. But imagine trying to guard a closing lineup of Dirk, Barnes, Wes, Bledsoe, Deron. Or a closing defensive lineup of Bogut, Dirk, Barnes, Wes, Bledsoe.

I think we would be might be top 2-3 in the West and top 5-10 defensively. Bledsoe would be a massive upgrade on the perimeter defensively
I was thinking more DWill/Harris/Powell for Chandler/Bledsoe. Bledsoe/JJ/Curry at the point would still be pretty solid.

However I do have concerns about the injuries of Bledsoe as some have mentioned.
It comes down to whether the FO thinks they can sign anyone better than Bledsoe at PG at that age in the off-season and if they want to take a chance on his injuries. Chandler is only gravy in that deal as far as I'm concerned.

If we are semi-rebuilding with mid-20 players Bledsoe fits the strategy. I certainly wouldn't give up a draft pick for him though. The only way I give up a draft pick is if Chandler isn't attached to the deal.

Last edited by rimrocker; 09-06-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also Ty was actually sneaky good down the stretch last season WHEN he was healthy. He was pretty much at his career averages across the board except his shot blocking was down. Bogut and Chandler for 20 mins each per night with a little Meijiri or small ball mixed in would be nasty
basically the story of his career

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 09-07-2016 at 09:47 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #21
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
basically the story of his career
Exactly. It didn't do Phoenix any good to have a healthy Chandler when it no longer mattered.

And it bears repeating that this is exactly why Parsons is no longer a Mav. You can't have an integral player be hurt when your team needs you so badly.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #22
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Exactly. It didn't do Phoenix any good to have a healthy Chandler when it no longer mattered.

And it bears repeating that this is exactly why Parsons is no longer a Mav. You can't have an integral player be hurt when your team needs you so badly.
I can't speak for mac222b but my reasoning for bringing up a Bledsoe/TC trade scenario is the possibility of acquiring a mid-20s star caliber player without having to give up too much. TC's contract helps provide an opportunity to do that.

Maybe I'm seeing this the wrong way but the more TC sucks the less we have to give up to net Bledsoe.

I just think a young core of Bledsoe/Barnes/Anderson/Curry/Hammons/Acy would be more attractive to a FA next season than an old core of Dirk/DWill/Bogut/Matthews even though I would agree with anyone that the latter is a better team right now.

Bledsoe's injury history does play into your point about Parsons though but I personally feel our options are becoming few and those are the risks that we might have to take. And quite frankly I'm not sure how much we'll be able to count on DWill and Bogut when we'll need them the most anyway.

Last edited by rimrocker; 09-07-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #23
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

I would argue against that those trades make Dallas more appealing than it is now. Dallas might be more appealing than it has been for the last 5 years or more and not just by the names it can put on the court. You may be losing more by trading DWill than gaining.

Let's take a look at the current status. If my memory serves right, Barnes has said Dallas was his choice. Matthews showed his loyalty and perhaps preference when he kept the agreement of joining Mavericks even if Deandra starts crying. Powell had other options but gave up money to play in Dallas. Same goes to DWill, he gave up money and perhaps better contract to stay in Dallas - you can argue he did not have any other decent options but then look at who Chicago signed to play as their point guard. JJ Barea may be a casualty of his style but he is kind of synonymous with being a Maverick. You also have rumors that Bogut chose Dallas over Houston.

All I am saying is that currently Mavericks have a lot of players that actually want to be in Dallas. Players talk, word goes around and this will help to improve Mavericks' image a lot more than having a strong lineup without A-listed star - other than Dirk. Trading away players who gave up money to play in Dallas is not the way to improve your appeal to free agents.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #24
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I think the general perception around the league (among reporters/bloggers and from what they seem to glean from players and GMs) is that the Mavericks are a player turnstile and are not an attractive destination because of this roster fluctuation. In my opinion, short a home run type of trade, we're probably best off keeping this year's roster mostly in tact.

And FWIW, my most realistic "dream" scenario would be us bringing almost everybody back next summer and signing Nerlens Noel.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #25
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
I would argue against that those trades make Dallas more appealing than it is now. Dallas might be more appealing than it has been for the last 5 years or more and not just by the names it can put on the court. You may be losing more by trading DWill than gaining.

Let's take a look at the current status. If my memory serves right, Barnes has said Dallas was his choice. Matthews showed his loyalty and perhaps preference when he kept the agreement of joining Mavericks even if Deandra starts crying. Powell had other options but gave up money to play in Dallas. Same goes to DWill, he gave up money and perhaps better contract to stay in Dallas - you can argue he did not have any other decent options but then look at who Chicago signed to play as their point guard. JJ Barea may be a casualty of his style but he is kind of synonymous with being a Maverick. You also have rumors that Bogut chose Dallas over Houston.

All I am saying is that currently Mavericks have a lot of players that actually want to be in Dallas. Players talk, word goes around and this will help to improve Mavericks' image a lot more than having a strong lineup without A-listed star - other than Dirk. Trading away players who gave up money to play in Dallas is not the way to improve your appeal to free agents.
You make a lot of good points Thebo and I do agree with most of what you are saying and it makes sense but I'm not sure it is the reality for top tier FAs. Second and lower tier players and guys on the back end of their careers probably love Dallas but I'm not sure young big ego players want to play on a team they know will always be Dirk's along with other core vets.

At this point I think semi-rebuilding with younger players, but not necessarily rookies, is not a bad strategy considering our current situation. Building a core with 20-somethings rather than 30-somethings would be more appealing to me if I'm a young budding star FA looking for a team to possibly lead in the near future. It would be tough coming into a situation if your aspirations are to lead when you play with guys like DWill, Dirk, Matthews and Bogut. Former stars on the back end of their careers may have lost a step, and skills may not be as sharp, but they normally carry their leadership skills and status to the end of their careers.

I think we have been perceived primarily as a veteran-oriented team over the past decade which doesn't seem to be an attractive environment for superstar or even all-star caliber players unless they are past their prime which then would make Dallas a very attractive and suitable situation for them because RC and the rest of the organization seems to embrace and favor vets.

IDK...I get what you are saying but don't think the rest of the league views this team through the same lens as our fans do.

Last edited by rimrocker; 09-07-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

Old 09-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #27
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
It will all be good.

The FO has put together a decent situation for the Mavs this season because we have a nice veteran core with some young promising players.
If things go south during the season we have some nice trade assets if we want to become sellers at TDL and hopefully we can yield some youth or draft picks through some of those trades.

The fact that we can have this discussion about potential trades down the road is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by rimrocker; 09-08-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #28
Underdog

Quote:
Have you been hiding Shaggy's cat again?

Old 09-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #29
ThisCharmingFan

ThisCharmingFan is a jewel in the roughThisCharmingFan is a jewel in the roughThisCharmingFan is a jewel in the rough

Dont have alot to add to current trade discussion, but wondering what yalls take on trading for Rubio or Dunn if the TWolves find they cant make it work with both of them as Thib seems to think. From what ive read and seen Rubio compliments KAT too well so hes not on the block anymore. Any input on this? Just bored and havent posted in years. Wanted to get some MFFL insight from people with brains.

Also I would hate to end up trading JA or Wes. I just really want them to be a part of this team for a long time.

Last edited by ThisCharmingFan; 09-08-2016 at 04:24 PM.
ThisCharmingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #30
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisCharmingFan View Post
Dont have alot to add to current trade discussion, but wondering what yalls take on trading for Rubio or Dunn if the TWolves find they cant make it work with both of them as Thib seems to think. From what ive read and seen Rubio compliments KAT too well so hes not on the block anymore. Any input on this? Just bored and havent posted in years. Wanted to get some MFFL insight from people with brains.

Also I would hate to end up trading JA or Wes. I just really want them to be a part of this team for a long time.
T-Wolves will sell Rubio to the highest bidder. Dunn looks really really good thus far. Dunn and Lavine can shoot and Rubio so far not so much. With Wiggins, Muhammed, Dieng etc they need shooters on the floor.

Last edited by mac222b; 09-08-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #31
Underdog

Quote:
I think Rubio's shot makes him a liability in the NBA -- he can string together a nice highlight reel of trick passes and steals, but he's not gonna help anyone win games in this league... Not to mention that, like Bledsoe, he's only played 2/3 of the games in his career.

Last edited by Underdog; 09-08-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:43 PM   #32
ThisCharmingFan

ThisCharmingFan is a jewel in the roughThisCharmingFan is a jewel in the roughThisCharmingFan is a jewel in the rough

Sounds about right. Wondering who is really interested in him to pursue a trade. I remember Cuban being really high on him but that was a few years ago. Im not sure exactly how i feel about him currently considering what we would have to give up in a trade. Off the top of my head I cant think of a specific team other than the Mavs who dont have pg position set that could really utilize him. Spurs will need someone to replace TP at some point and Rockets.. I dont think he fits with Houston.

Doubtful GS gives him up but what would it take to get Livingston from them?
Old 09-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #33
ThisCharmingFan

Quote:
I think Rubio's shot makes him a liability in the NBA -- he can string together a nice highlight reel of trick passes and steals, but he's not gonna help anyone win games in this league... Not to mention that, like Bledsoe, he's only played 2/3 of the games in his career.
I agree with this. Cant score at all. Similar to having Tony Allen on the floor.

EDIT I didnt reread and noticed Rubio was already mentioned in thread. My bad. Kinda seems like for something big to go down we have to lose Wes and I'd hate to lose someone who actually chose to be in Dallas.

EDIT EDIT I like the Nerlens Noel dream. Am 100 percent on board with that and the Sixers have tons of big men to choose from. This doesnt seem too far off.

Last edited by ThisCharmingFan; 09-08-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:56 PM   #34
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Have you been hiding Shaggy's cat again?
As if that would turn this whole Godforesaken thing around.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #35
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:

Are you a Smiths fan?
Old 09-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #36
ThisCharmingFan

Quote:
Are you a Smiths fan?
Huge. My handle in almost everything else is ThisCharmingCJ but when i made this account i thought ThisCharmingFan was clever heh.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:13 PM   #37
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Huge. My handle in almost everything else is ThisCharmingCJ but when i made this account i thought ThisCharmingFan was clever heh.
ThisCharmingFan is indeed clever (about as clever as it gets). ThisCharmingCJ is near incomprehensible.

Enjoy your time here. There is often panic on the streets on fandom.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:29 PM   #38
ThisCharmingFan

Quote:
ThisCharmingFan is indeed clever (about as clever as it gets). ThisCharmingCJ is near incomprehensible.

Enjoy your time here. There is often panic on the streets on fandom.
Thanks man. I have high hopes for this season for first time in awhile although i did enjoy watching Monta and i really wanted Rondo to work here so bad. Will probably post from time to time again. Am a tar heel fan as well. Barnes didnt do a whole lot at UNC but still support him. He kinda underachieved like he was just waiting time to hit the NBA imo. Though his comparisons at the time were pretty lofty so my view might have been skewed. He was supposed to be the chosen one to bring another ncaa championship.

I really dont want to see a blockbuster trade this season myself. I want Anderson to stay in this franchise. I want Wes to stay for as long as hes happy being a mav. D Will.. Could take him or leave him at this point.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:37 AM   #39
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
EDIT EDIT I like the Nerlens Noel dream. Am 100 percent on board with that and the Sixers have tons of big men to choose from. This doesnt seem too far off.
Sixers reportedly plan to trade either Nerlens Noel or Jahlil Okafor

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.

Last edited by Skywalker; 09-09-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:48 AM   #40
spreedom
Diamond Member

FWIW, I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion around these parts, but I'd trade just about anything I could if I was the MBT and Rubio was attainable.