Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
johndacs

johndacs is on a distinguished road
Default How about Ben Wallace for Dampier?

Dallas: Erick Dampier, 1st rd pick 2006 (28th overall), Marquis Daniels
Detroit: Ben Wallace, Maurice Evans or Carlos Delfino

Dallas starting 5: Wallace (C), Dirk (PF), Griffin (SF assuming he resigns), Terry (PG assuming he resigns) and Howard (OG).

What do you think?
johndacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Great for Dallas. I can't imagie why Detroit would do it.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

I can't imagine why Dallas would do it. You do realize that Ben Wallace wants a lot of cash this summer. And value wise Dampier has just as much valuie as Ben Wallace.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:07 PM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And value wise Dampier has just as much valuie as Ben Wallace.
Come again?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I'd do it, but I doubt Detroit will.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

Meaning Erick Dampier at age 31 (for the Mavs) has just as much value to this team that Ben Wallace ever would. You do realize that Ben Wallace will turn 32 this fall and is wanting a pretty subnstantial contract?

Ben Wallace will not battle Duncan any better than Dampier does. Ben Wallace will not battle Shaq or Yao any better than Dampier does. Ben Wallace does not score any better than Dampier. Ben Wallace cannot shoot free throws and is just as much of a liability shooting the ball in other areas of the court.

So yes, Erick Dampier for the Mavs is just as valuable.

3 years ago I would have taken Ben Wallace in a heartbeat. But Ben has gotten worse every year and with his size.... it's not a pretty situation.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:40 AM   #7
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

Isn't Wallace a Free Agent, meaning you can just sign him?
Old 06-25-2006, 04:12 AM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Wallace's reputation alone gives him a better chance at succeeding on defense than Damp.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:42 AM   #9
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Locked_up_Tonight does have a bit of a point here. I had him on my fantasy team so I monitored his stats closely. He had a big drop off the last month of the season. In the playoffs, he only averaged 10.5 boards, not quite Big Ben numbers. And as locked_up said, his numbers have been regressing the last few years. I think the guy is just getting old. Playing the type of game he does has to take a toll on a player that age. I would be a little scared to give him a max contract, but maybe those fears are unfounded.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

I think it would be a big risk (due more to the contract we would have to give hime than the loss of Dampier) but it would be worth it. His free throws are a huge liability, and he is winding down, but for the next two years I think he could make a huge contribution to this team.

The championship could eventually come down to the question of who will age better, Shaq or Ben?
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote