Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-30-2002, 11:33 AM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Per Fish on LMF.

Now this could be an announcement of resigning Najera or Wang or official resigning of Raef.

Or, hell, it could be Rashard Lewis.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2002, 11:36 AM   #2
DirkNash1341

DirkNash1341 is on a distinguished road

Come on 'Shard!!!

If it is about Raef that will be such a disappointment, just because it isn't actually news.
DirkNash1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 11:40 AM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Yeah, but you have to do a press conference. Have to let Raef say "I am staying in Dallas because of the opportunity to win a championship.", "I love Nellie." and "It is not about the money." The latter, of course, is easier to say when you get a lot of money.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 07-30-2002, 11:43 AM   #4
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

well, at least SOME movement in ANY direction ...

signing of sekularac?
Old 07-30-2002, 11:55 AM   #5
Dooby
Diamond Member

The offical signing of Raef, per KTCK.

Old 07-30-2002, 11:57 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

is anyone interested?.. i mean, i'm glad the mavs signed raef but damn,.. we knew about it so long ago that there's no reason to hold a press conference now
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 12:23 PM   #7
Dooby
Diamond Member

As I already said:

<< Yeah, but you have to do a press conference. Have to let Raef say &quot;I am staying in Dallas because of the opportunity to win a championship.&quot;, &quot;I love Nellie.&quot; and &quot;It is not about the money.&quot; The latter, of course, is easier to say when you get a lot of money. >>

Old 07-30-2002, 12:23 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

It's Raef...don't get excited.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 12:26 PM   #9
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

This sucks...a press conference with no new information. I knew this offseason would be slow but this is ridiculous. 2 more months to go.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:33 PM   #10
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

well, it´s part of our class act behaviour ...

maybe we´re a Rashard Lewis away from a successful off-season, but that´s no reason not to court Raef La Frentz as the &quot;missing piece&quot; to our team so far
Old 07-30-2002, 12:37 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Raef deserves his props.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 12:39 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

sj, the major gripe is that this should have been done much quicker.. the raef press conference..

that's all..i'm thrilled to have raef i just wish they would have taken care of the PC already..
Old 07-30-2002, 12:43 PM   #13
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Raef´s agent has been on vacation
Old 07-30-2002, 12:47 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

he should have gotten off of vacation for this
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2002, 03:34 PM   #15
Yaodynasty

Yaodynasty is on a distinguished road

Raef's is not a news at all. I hope it is about Wang. He got a new agent and now any progress on contract or trade? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2002, 03:38 PM   #16
Dooby
Diamond Member

We have already confirmed it is Raef. Per DMN; Fox Radio; ESPN Radio and the Ticket.

Stop speculating.

Old 07-30-2002, 07:41 PM   #17
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

he signed for 7 years 83 mil
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 08:11 PM   #18
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

DALLAS -- The Dallas Mavericks re-signed Raef LaFrentz to a seven-year contract Tuesday, making sure they keep the big man with the outside touch who they acquired at the trade deadline last season.

&quot;This is the place to be,'' LaFrentz said in an afternoon news conference. &quot;This is the team of the future. Last year we fell short of our long-term goal. But we're young and going to have a large window. I feel good to be a part of it.''

LaFrentz became a starter almost immediately after he and Nick Van Exel came from Denver in February. The duo helped Dallas win a team-record 57 games, but the Mavericks went out in the second round, just like they did the previous season.

LaFrentz never completely adapted to his new role in Dallas, yet both sides were sure they wanted to remain together. LaFrentz didn't consider any other teams.

His contract is worth just shy of the maximum $84 million.

&quot;When you've got a guy who can shoot 3s, can post up, block shots and run the floor, that's something you like,'' owner Mark Cuban said. &quot;All the things we look for to help ourselves as an organization, Raef is exemplary of that.''

The 6-foot-11, 265-pound LaFrentz was originally acquired to play the low post as a defender and shot-blocker, then to use his outside touch to pull opposing centers out to the 3-point line, thus clearing the lane. But LaFrentz often got into foul trouble and struggled with his shooting.

Part of his problem was figuring out when it was his turn to shoot in an offense featuring Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash and Michael Finley. It also was the first time that he wasn't the only tall guy who could shoot from long range; Nowitzki and Wang Zhizhi did that, too.

In 27 regular-season games with Dallas, LaFrentz averaged 10.8 points, down from 14.9 in 51 games with the Nuggets, while his rebound average of 7.4 was the same in both places. For his four-year career, LaFrentz averages 11.3 points and 7.6 rebounds per game.

LaFrentz's role could be different this season. Coach Don Nelson has talked about using him more at power forward than center, forcing Shawn Bradley and Evan Eschmeyer to handle center duties while Nowitzki moves to small forward.

That plan would be scuttled, though, if Dallas can sign Rashard Lewis to play small forward. Under that scenario, LaFrentz would have to move back to center, unless the Mavericks make yet another move.

Keeping LaFrentz solidifies the core of Dallas' roster well into the future. Nowitzki and Finley are signed through 2007-08. Nash and Van Exel are signed through 2005-06.

Old 07-30-2002, 08:35 PM   #19
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

joy
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 08:37 PM   #20
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

&lt;yawn&gt;
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 09:05 PM   #21
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

The writeups I'm reading, it says Raef's contract is for $67 million, not $84 million.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:07 PM   #22
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

DMN says 7 years 67 mil
Old 07-30-2002, 09:20 PM   #23
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

he wanted more money because denver was going to give him a max contract if they didnt trade him. And raef wanted got a little mad so cuban gave him 83 mil its on espn.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:32 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

Nope...it's 67. You read the ESPN article incorrectly.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:33 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Staying with Dallas key to deal for LaFrentz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

DALLAS -- When free agent-to-be Raef LaFrentz was traded to the Dallas Mavericks in February, he knew right away he wanted to stay. On Tuesday, he got his wish.

''This is the place to be,'' LaFrentz said. ''This is the team of the future. Last year we fell short of our long-term goal. But we're young and going to have a large window. I feel good to be a part of it.''

LaFrentz was so serious about staying he didn't even talk to another team before signing a maximum-length deal of seven years. And he accepted what Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said was ''a lot less'' than the $84 million maximum contract.

Then what was the holdup that took two weeks past the opening of the signing period for the deal to be finalized? A vacation by LaFrentz's agent.

''He probably could've gotten paid more other places, but he wanted to be here,'' Cuban said. ''That made it simple.''

Plenty of teams were after LaFrentz in February, when the Denver Nuggets were shopping him. He and Nick Van Exel wound up in Dallas, where they helped lead the Mavericks to a franchise-record 57 victories only to be ousted in the second-round of the playoffs for the second consecutive year.

Because of the previous interest in LaFrentz, Cuban thought some team might step up with a bigger offer. LaFrentz, however, had been telling his agent all spring that he wanted to remain playing alongside Dirk Nowitzki, Michael Finley and Steve Nash.

''I knew that coming here I'd be able to play in the playoffs, be on a great team and have the chance to play for something,'' he said.

The 6-foot-11, 265-pound LaFrentz was originally acquired to play the low post as a defender and shot-blocker, then to use his outside touch to pull opposing centers out to the 3-point line, thus clearing the lane. But LaFrentz often got into foul trouble and struggled with his shooting.

Part of his problem was figuring out when it was his turn to shoot in one of the league's highest-scoring offenses. It also was the first time he wasn't the only tall guy who could shoot from long range; Nowitzki and Wang Zhizhi did that, too.

''I anticipate being much more comfortable,'' he said. ''I can't wait for the opportunity to start from Day 1.''

In 27 regular-season games with Dallas, LaFrentz averaged 10.8 points, down from 14.9 in 51 games with the Nuggets, while his rebound average of 7.4 was the same in both places. For his four-year career, LaFrentz averages 13 points and 7.7 rebounds.

''When you've got a guy who can shoot 3s, can post up, block shots and run the floor, that's something you like,'' Cuban said. ''Having Raef is a major step to us getting the jewelry.''

LaFrentz's role could be different this season. Coach Don Nelson has talked about using him more at power forward than center, forcing Shawn Bradley and Evan Eschmeyer to handle center duties while Nowitzki moves to small forward.

That plan would be scuttled, though, if Dallas can sign Rashard Lewis to play small forward. Under that scenario, LaFrentz would have to move back to center, unless the Mavericks make yet another move.

''My entire career, so many people have made a big deal about me playing out of position,'' he said. ''I can play 5, I can play 4, I can play 3 -- but I don't think I could play the point very well.''

Keeping LaFrentz through 2008-2009 adds him to a list of players sticking around. Nowitzki and Finley are signed through 2007-08. Nash and Van Exel are signed through 2005-06.

''Dirk just turned 24 this week and Raef is 26 -- and they say big guys take longer to get to the top of their game,'' Cuban said, smiling. ''That's a great foundation.''

Old 07-30-2002, 09:35 PM   #26
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

oh
Old 07-30-2002, 09:36 PM   #27
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

67 is shy of 84
Old 07-30-2002, 09:40 PM   #28
Just211
Platinum Member

edit
Old 07-30-2002, 09:48 PM   #29
Drbio
Banned

#1MavsFan- don't sweat it. No big deal and we have all done something similar like that. I'm just glad he is signed, sealed and delivered.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:57 PM   #30
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

What ever happened to the 7 year 60 mill deal? Or is this some of Cubans giving.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 10:07 PM   #31
Drbio
Banned

I think that was just a media best guess.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:06 AM   #32
Randall The Great

Randall The Great is on a distinguished road

I'm getting a little tired of seeing Cuban bid against himself and reward mediocre to slightly above average players. Had Raef played in Dallas like he played in Denver, I'd have no problem with this contract, but he was soft, unproductive and constantly in foul trouble.
Randall The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:23 AM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

you're going a bit overboard randall
Old 07-31-2002, 07:29 AM   #34
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

if those numbers Raef put up were &quot;unproductive&quot; i don´t see the point in going for the Kandi man ...
Old 07-31-2002, 07:36 AM   #35
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

While beeing with the Mavs Raef made 10.8 points / 7.4 rebs along with .9 steals and 2.2 blocks (regular season) shooting .437 percent, Kandi goes for 11+ and 8.9 rebs with fewer steals and blocks and an equal shooting percentage (pretty bad if you consider him having NO outside game).

Raef´s playoff numbers, especially vs. the Kings, were promising...

Give him some time, and he´ll easily prove his value.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:34 AM   #36
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

<< I'm getting a little tired of seeing Cuban bid against himself and reward mediocre to slightly above average players. Had Raef played in Dallas like he played in Denver, I'd have no problem with this contract, but he was soft, unproductive and constantly in foul trouble. >>

Great idea....let's judge every player's worth on 30 games with a team [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2002, 12:44 PM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

here you go evilmav
Old 07-31-2002, 06:49 PM   #38
Randall The Great

Randall The Great is on a distinguished road

<<

<< I'm getting a little tired of seeing Cuban bid against himself and reward mediocre to slightly above average players. Had Raef played in Dallas like he played in Denver, I'd have no problem with this contract, but he was soft, unproductive and constantly in foul trouble. >>

Great idea....let's judge every player's worth on 30 games with a
team [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
>>

That's what every other team in the league (none of which even made contact with Raef) did. It doesn't matter if he put up Shaq numbers, bidding against yourself is just plain stupid.

He didn't get the max, but $10 million is more, a lot more, than he's worth and more than he would have been able to get from another team. It's stupid to bid against yourself. He had ZERO other offers.

To make trades in the NBA, salaries have to match up. By signing all of our players to above market value contracts, we make them less attractive and more difficult to trade. Even if we wanted to do a sign and trade for Rashard, we wouldn't be able to make the salaries match. This wouldn't be the case if we didn't have four players making the max, five when Nash becomes a free agent. Even spares like Evan and Shawn are making three and four times what their worth. It's just a stupid way to build a franchise.

Randall The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:28 PM   #39
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Randall - i can hardly disagree more

10 million dollars a year for one of the best shot blockers, a 7fter who is able to run the floor and hit the three is - like it or not - maybe slightly UNDER market value.

Booth got 34 million - he can´t hit the three, is far less agile, and is a much worse rebounder, mc collough got good money, let´s dont talk about travis knight, or do you remember jim mcilvaine?

if you compare THEM to raef, this price seems very reasonable to me
Old 07-31-2002, 07:33 PM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

i would have liked to have seen what some other teams were willing to offer. i'm willing to bet that the mavs could have gotten him for less.

truth is, if you keep overpaying for players, eventually it might come back and bite you in the ass (in all likeliness)

but, maybe he overpaid raef to set an example for Lewis to see.

i don't know..

well, maybe not in the NBA.
you must take into account matching trades...