Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-08-2003, 01:52 PM   #1
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

PORTLAND - In a prepared statement, Blazers owner Paul Allen announced Wednesday that team President and General Manager Bob Whitsitt will step down from his position.
The news comes just days after the team ended a troubled season by getting bumped from the first round of the playoffs for the third straight year.

Whitsitt, who has held the job for the past eight years, will reportedly retain his job as president of the Seattle Seahawks, who are also owned by Allen.

Whitsitt's resignation is effective June 30.

"After 25 years in the NBA, I am very grateful for all the experiences I've had including the last nine years with the Blazers," said Bob Whitsitt. I've always loved basketball and working with the league, and now I'm really looking forward to the opportunities and challenges that will come with devoting myself to the Seahawks full-time."

Allen stated the Blazers have launched a nationwide search for both a new general manager and a new president. The team will recruit for positions separately.

"We mutually agreed this was the best thing for the team and the community," said Allen. "During Bob’s tenure we made the playoffs every year and averaged 50 wins each season."

Allen said the team's new executives would be based in Portland. Whitsitt, who ran the Blazers from his office from Seattle, has been criticized for his absenteeism.

Whitsitt, who got the nickname "Trader Bob" for the deals he made for the Blazers, helped the team to 14 straight winning seasons and 21 straight trips to the playoffs. But Whitsitt has faced increasing criticism for the team's on-court performance and off-court problems.

The past season was possibly the most turmultuous.

Three players, Rasheed Wallace, Damon Stoudamire and rookie Qyntel Woods were cited for marijuana possession.

Ruben Patterson was arrested for domestic abuse. His wife later decided not to pursue charges.

Other issues between players and officials, also plagued the team over the past season.

Wallace was suspended for seven games by the league for threatening a referee on the loading dock after a game in January, and Patterson scuffled with forward Zach Randolph during a practice. Randolph was suspended for two games by the team for punching Patterson and breaking his eye socket.

Over the course of Whitsitt's tenure, different players have been suspended 20 times. There have been 15 arrests.

The Blazers - who have the highest payroll in the league at $109 million - were ousted from the playoffs in seven games by the Dallas Mavericks, after first-round sweeps by the Los Angeles Lakers in the previous two seasons.

KATU shared the news with several Blazers fans, and so far, no one is coming to Whitsitt's defense.

One woman said that the Blazers have been an embarrassment for the community, and whether or not Whitsitt is accountable for that, he is still the man in the front office.

Another fan accused Whitsitt of "micro-managing" and making poor decisions for the team.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

He may have officially "resigned" but his butt was sent a packing.....count on it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 05:29 PM   #3
arsenalth9

arsenalth9 is on a distinguished road

theres no doubt in my mind he deserved to be fired. He might have made some good deals but thats all he was good for. Rasheed and Co. aren't to blame for his exit either. They guy had no loyalty to his players whatsoever.

$P DIDDY$
Old 05-08-2003, 05:33 PM   #4
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

ARSENAL!
How can he be loyal to a bunch of potheads?
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 05:37 PM   #5
arsenalth9

arsenalth9 is on a distinguished road

3 people, correct me if im wrong, but does an NBA team not have around 15 players?!! YES...they were aquited anyhow...
Old 05-08-2003, 11:41 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

so was OJ and we all know about that.

and yes, 3 potheads on one 15 man team is a high number.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 06:01 AM   #7
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< so was OJ and we all know about that.

and yes, 3 potheads on one 15 man team is a high number.
>>

Three potheads on one team means there's someone to pass the bong to. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 09:03 AM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< Allen stated the Blazers have launched a nationwide search for both a new general manager and a new president. The team will recruit for positions separately. >>

This just in the API is reporting that the Blazers have scheduled interviews with Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong for general manager and president respectively. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]