Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-31-2004, 02:02 PM   #1
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default Poll: Should the NBA change their rules to match international basketball?

Should the NBA change their rules to match international basketball? Please elaborate if you can if you feel that the poll answers don't adequately represent you opinion. Also feel free to share why you feel the way that you do.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Poll: Should the NBA change their rules to match international basketball?

great question. Absolutely change to int. rules.
1. I like it that the refs don't have to touch the ball on after they signal out of bounds. Makes for faster play.
2. I like the play around the basket after it touches the rim.
3. I like the shorter 3 pt. line, imagine the scores going up! up! up!
4. I like the trapezoid lane design so defenses can't pack it in around the basket.
5. And most of all ONLY 2 refs----yahooooo! speed this game up!

dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:38 PM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Poll: Should the NBA change their rules to match international basketball?

yes, I'd say go to the Int rules.

1) it is designed for more of a team game, instead of a star game
2) it rewards the shooter, instead of the dunking
3) it speeds the game up

Plus, players would already be training year round like most of the other teams when the Olympics come around, and not have to change everyones style of play.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:41 PM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Poll: Should the NBA change their rules to match international basketball?

One question before I commit to an answer. Are there defensive three second violations in international rules? In watching the games I can't remember seeing one called despite guys just parking their butts in the lane for extended periods of time. Wasn't sure if that was because it's legal or because the refs were incompetent.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:08 PM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Poll: Should the NBA change their rules to match international basketball?

Five fouls or six?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 05:08 PM   #6
Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Five fouls or six?
Six.

Also, I dont like the INT. lane violation rules. I do like most of their rules though.
Sinn Fein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:44 PM   #7
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Basketball may be the 2nd most popular team sport in the World after Soccer. If Soccer can be played under common rules why can't Basketball.

Some rules are better in NBA and some are better in FIBA. If those two parties can meet in the middle and agree upon common rules, the game will be better for everyone.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:20 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I thought it would be significantly unbalanced in the other way. I personally like the NBA style but the agressive fouls, especially down low need to be called better.

Shot clock is fine, I like the 3 second rule, I like the distance on the three. I like the rules on the technical for hanging on the rim.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:37 PM   #9
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hell Absolutely No. We don't need no damned foreign rules here.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:55 PM   #10
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

The NBA should be played in such a way to draw the biggest crowds.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:59 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

The NBA should continue to be played in a way that reflects our basketball history and our cultural tastes while respecting the sules of pure sport.

If we based our NBA rules on what got fans, we would quickly devolve into WWF Raw.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:44 PM   #12
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

With a couple of exceptions I think the FIBA rules are very similar to the amateur rules that we have all grown up with. I think it is the NBA rules that have been tricked up to try to make the game higher scoring. 30 second clock, no zones and now only a limited zone because of the 3 second defensive penalty, no charge zone, allowing traveling, palming, etc. I think the worst was when only man-to-man defense was allowed and players like Barkely could just back their opponents down into the paint. One on one basketball.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:51 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

this is our game...plus i don't like change [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:52 PM   #14
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

wow 10 yes votes....yikes!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 12:20 AM   #15
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

I think FIBA and all other governing bodies (NCAA, NBA, etc...)in the sport of basketball need to get together and decide on a single world standard. With the only differences being the time formats.

I mean, does Football (Soccer) have any major rules or field differences the world over? None that I know of.... It would'nt be that hard to come together and make a compromise so everyone is happy.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:42 AM   #16
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Use the Fiba lane, but use the NBA defensive three seconds rule. Ditch the NBA star system and call traveling!
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 06:48 AM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

...and not allow nearly as much of the contact in the lane
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:50 AM   #18
dmavsfan

dmavsfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
this is our game...plus i don't like change [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Actually this is a game invented by a Canadian (in the US at a ymca) without a doubt. Ask any basketball expert or historian. Recently I was reading a kids book for my daughter by Chris Mullin and it stated that fact at the beginning of the book. The rules and number of players , etc. is very different than today. But the concepts were dribbling, passing, shooting, team work......a la Hoosiers.

International basketball and NCAA are the closest to these ideas. The NBA is market driven.....hence all the rule changes.

I think that International rules are better , but they keep changing their rules to get closer to the NBA...who has the most marketing power.

10 minute quarters or 12? I say 12.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:05 AM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Screw international rules. Let them change to NBA rules.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:38 AM   #20
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
We've proven over the years that NBA rules results in better players. So just because the US lost doesn't mean that the NBA should change the rules, the Olympic committee should pick better players.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:49 AM   #21
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Quote:
We've proven over the years that NBA rules results in better players. So just because the US lost doesn't mean that the NBA should change the rules, the Olympic committee should pick better players.
How has this been proven that the rules result in better players? I mean only the best players make it into the NBA so they are already good by the time they get to the NBA. Then they get to play and practice against the best players. However the trend is that more and more of those players that are the best are coming from programs that used the international rules. Remember the NBA rules are hardly standard in High School and college in the US. In fact I would say that there are more differences between the college game and the NBA than between the international game and the NBA.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:48 PM   #22
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit confused. Who besides the WNBA uses a 30 second shot clock?

For the most part, I think I prefer the NBA rules simply because they are what I'm more accustomed to. I do wish something would be done about timing the inbound pass more accurately.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 06:10 AM   #23
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
How has this been proven that the rules result in better players? I mean only the best players make it into the NBA so they are already good by the time they get to the NBA. Then they get to play and practice against the best players. However the trend is that more and more of those players that are the best are coming from programs that used the international rules. Remember the NBA rules are hardly standard in High School and college in the US. In fact I would say that there are more differences between the college game and the NBA than between the international game and the NBA.
You and i are looking at it in 2 different ways. All players, no matter which league or level of playing, adjust their game to the rules of their respected league.

Our problem is not our rules, it's the way teams are picked. Because if Argentina just threw a team together in July and only practiced for two weeks, their's no way they'd win anything no matter what rules they play with. So that's why we should put an actual NBA team, such as the Miami Heat or Sixers, or gets some college player together and have them play with each other from April to August/September every year.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote